Potential features:
Mild buffs
Consumable Mementos

Replies:

Re: Mementos topic

Posted on: March 04 2011 @ 11:24 PM
By: Wolfgang

Content:

First off: CMJ Very very cool Idea. I even enjoy the name.

Secondly: Out of curiosity and just general wondering, Where did the idea for the momentos come from? (this might help generate appropriate discussion and feedback)

The image support is kinda cool, but i feel somewhat pointless dependent on what exactly is being created. I think in some cases it'd be cool or handy, but in most, the description should do. My own personal opinion though.

Bio: Perhaps have an "Inventory" like function that basically is a place to keep these momento's and their descriptions? or show it like the weapons and armor
Ex. Wolfgang is carrying (Insert momento here)

The mild buff thing could be very interesting, but It would have to cost extra supporter points or something. (By the way, nice addition with the Cobblestones)
Consumables? Hm. not so sure how good this one would be. depends on what consuming it would do i suppose.

Wolf

Posted on: March 04 2011 @ 11:25 PM
By: Beeps

Content:

I'm lazy and just quoting what I said here. Ignore any time I use the word "Widget" instead of "Memento."

Quote by: Beeps

Storage.
Not beds, something like storage spaces. These would take up the same floor spaces as beds. I will call these simply "Storage" from here on out. Options for how to get them:
1. A "I want one with this many spaces, it will cost ___ cigs/req" setup, like custom furniture. Probably not the best idea because of later.
2. Standard furniture method, one with 5 slots costs 10,000req, one with 10 slots costs 20,000req, or whatever.

These would be, by default something basic, like a table, a bookshelf, and a cabinet. Add in the same customization options as beds, so you can turn these into fridges, wall safes, picture frames, tool boxes, memento chests, words words words words you get the idea. Like current furniture, you name it and give it a description. And added field I'd like would be the "interaction" name. "Look at" [Storage]. "Talk To" [Storage]. "You cannot play gin rummy with" [Storage]. Plunk this down in your dwelling, and voilŗ! You've got your Storage space. But obviously, this Storage needs things in it!

Now, this part is probably seems pretty obvious - Mementos go into Storage. Rather than "Folding bed available," the option would be [Interaction name] [Storage's name here]."
Inspecting it would take you to something like eBoy's crossed with a dwelling room - If you're the dwelling owner, you can take or place Mementos into spaces in Storage. You also have the option to lock or unlock the Storage. Locking/unlocking would disallow/allow people to take items from it. Maybe another key option, like rooms.
If you don't own the dwelling, your options are to look at the objects. This takes you to a page that displays the current object's description, as well as giving you the option to look at other things in the display (Think how the journal entries work in the Museum) or to go back to the Storage/Dwelling. If the Storage is unlocked or you have a key, you will have the option to take the item here. This would be handy for making, say, a snack bar in a dwelling that you replenish from time to time, or something.

Oh, and another thing. If these are separate and basically work like mucked-up house rooms... They'd have Widget IDs. That you could hook modules into. Make a cell phone that lets you talk to people in another city, but charges you per-word from your bank account. Sell them. Make a music box that, when used, emotes playing music in the commentary you're in/closest to.

I don't know how the Memento system works - Would the idea of being able to hook modules into Memento IDs be viable? If so, then the consumable idea would be a lot more interesting - I think.

Posted on: March 05 2011 @ 12:46 AM

Content:

In recent news, the Island was brought to a standstill when the Bordello attempted to gift 400 copies of "Naughty bits" to their patrons.

Posted on: March 05 2011 @ 01:00 AM
By: Darcy

Content:

I actually squealed out loud when I saw this. It's a great idea and one that both boosts roleplay and helps bring money to the Island! Seriously, I love you guys for this. This and the weather in-development have me just so very happy.

Edit: oh and the Stranger event. That too. But this is about Mementos so now I can just plan all of the fun mementos...

Posted on: March 05 2011 @ 01:00 AM
By: Wigs

Content:

Image Support
Well assuming it's going to be optional, then I think it's a good idea. It would make sense for it to cost more points to give it an image though.

Bio Show
Well. This seems nifty, but I would be worried about it being much to cluttered if you've gathered quite a bit of mementos. If there was a limit, for example 5 mementos you could assign to the bio. Just the general idea, than it seems like it would be okay..

Mild Buffs
Seems like a kind of nervous and touchy discussion, at least for me. I suppose all I would need to put feedback on this is, that it would need to be very carefully done.

Consumable
I always wanted to know what a Red Music Box tasted like...!
But realistically I think it would be a quirky and nice feature, especially for foods and treats. It would make sense to mold bunches of consumable treats that could be eaten to read their description for a nice bit to read.

And that's my feedback. How stereotypical of me...
Oops! Did I also mention I LOVE the idea by the way?
I do.

Posted on: March 05 2011 @ 01:02 AM
By: Matthew

Content:

Now I can finally sell baked goods, like I'd always dreamed of

Except it would be a cookie that lasted forever.

Man, I want a cookie like that.

Posted on: March 05 2011 @ 02:52 AM
By: Sneaky

Content:

This would be better if you could also drop the mementos in people's Dwellings. This would help my dungeon quests immensely.

Posted on: March 05 2011 @ 05:34 AM
By: Makiwa

Content:

OMCMJ this is fantastic! So many ideas filling up my head, which to try first....

Quote by: Wigs

Image Support
Well assuming it's going to be optional, then I think it's a good idea. It would make sense for it to cost more points to give it an image though.

Yes, yes! Optional cost related images please.

Bio Show
Well. This seems nifty, but I would be worried about it being much to cluttered if you've gathered quite a bit of mementos. If there was a limit, for example 5 mementos you could assign to the bio. Just the general idea, than it seems like it would be okay..

And this.

Mild Buffs
Seems like a kind of nervous and touchy discussion, at least for me. I suppose all I would need to put feedback on this is, that it would need to be very carefully done.

This would too complicated? Dunno about this one, my little brain isn't big enough to wrap round this properly - plus it's Ist coffee early in the morning at the moment.

Consumable
I always wanted to know what a Red Music Box tasted like...!
But realistically I think it would be a quirky and nice feature, especially for foods and treats. It would make sense to mold bunches of consumable treats that could be eaten to read their description for a nice bit to read.

This is great too.

runs off to play..

Posted on: March 05 2011 @ 06:02 AM
By: Kallio

Content:

I haven't made one yet, but it looks like a super nifty feature.

One thing: I've got about 220,000 Cobblestones. People who've been using the world community grid longer than me have even more. If I made the example memento with the 92-character description and 238-character use text, I could afford to make 650+ copies with Cobblestones. It would cost around $273 to make that many with supporter points. Not sure how valuable you want supporter points to be, but that seems like it might be slightly unbalanced.

Posted on: March 05 2011 @ 06:07 AM

Content:

Quote by: Kallio

One thing: I've got about 220,000 Cobblestones. People who've been using the world community grid longer than me have even more. If I made the example memento with the 92-character description and 238-character use text, I could afford to make 650+ copies with Cobblestones. It would cost around $273 to make that many with supporter points. Not sure how valuable you want supporter points to be, but that seems like it might be slightly unbalanced.

Keep in mind that for every 50 you made, you'd have to spend another $1.50 to make a mould. Plus, this system is simple and non-intrusive enough to actual gameplay that it's a perfect outlet for cobblestones, whether you have 27 or 270,000.

Posted on: March 05 2011 @ 06:18 AM
By: Anna+Dewhurst

Content:

Quote by: Matthew

That'd be really awesome.

Oh and the topic. Yeah.

...I'm on board with that, too.

Posted on: March 05 2011 @ 08:24 AM

Content:

It appears in the process of testing the system, I've gotten two Mementos into my backpack (Since you can transfer them to the backpack, but not back), and have a fifth section to my inventory which is an empty, nameless bag with an empty, nameless item that I can discard or transfer to my backpack. However, selecting either option does nothing. I also cannot discard Mementos while on the map, but I can drop them.

Posted on: March 05 2011 @ 09:34 AM

Content:

Keep in mind that for every 50 you made, you'd have to spend another $1.50 to make a mould. Plus, this system is simple and non-intrusive enough to actual gameplay that it's a perfect outlet for cobblestones, whether you have 27 or 270,000.

Ohh. The mold is only good for 50 copies? Okay. I missed that somehow, sorry.

Posted on: March 05 2011 @ 12:59 PM
By: Omega

Content:

Quote by: Anna+Dewhurst

That'd be really awesome.

Never-ending gum. Somebody make that!

Posted on: March 05 2011 @ 01:16 PM
By: Sneaky

Content:

I just realized this thing replicates Supply Crates on the map.

I find this most unfun.

Posted on: March 05 2011 @ 03:34 PM
By: Maniak

Content:

I like the idea of a display case for your 'mentos, it would add a bit of dynamic to otherwise static dwellings. I'm certain it's a great addition for people that use their dwelling as their house. That, and yay for the req sink.

I'd also like a dispenser thing that hooks into dwellings - Like a medal, you could make a memento that says "I visited Thistlewhite Manor and shat my pants." or, "I still haven't found my way out of the maze in the Tent by the Shore." and even "I tried to pick up a Supply Crate but all I got was a lousy dwelling."

While you're at it, I'd like world peace too. But I'll settle for 2 outta 3.

Good job finding an excellent use for Cobblestones. The cost-ratio of cobblestones/supporter points will either drive more people to WCG, will open up more trading, and/or the Island will make more money.

And it's a proper clan badge, too! I predict this to be a great success.

Posted on: March 05 2011 @ 03:58 PM
By: calliaphone

Content:

This is a really interesting new development, with lots of possibilities. Iím intrigued, and starting to dream up ways to use mementos. But I think the system would need some tweaks, to really give it the kind of scope Iíd like.

Pricing Structure

This is the biggest change Iíd like to see.

As it stands, the system seems quite expensive, unless you just want to make the occasional new item and many identical copies. It occurs to me that this may promote mass-production rather than creativity. Likewise, proliferation of lots of items perceived as ďvaluableĒ rather than throwaway nothings with only sentimental value - which might rather saturate the environment with treasures, and thus reduce the pleasure in finding them.

I personally find it more fun to RP attaching personal value to a mundane item, most of the time. I donít think my character is the only one who gives away little bits of nonsense (a wing-nut, a crayon, a slightly grubby marshmallow). Occasionally Callia will make something more special, as a one-off. But little bits of rubbish are her stock-in-trade.

I also like to ring the changes. I donít want to give away fifty slightly grubby marshmallows! Well, okay, I might, but only over a long period. During which Iíd also want to be giving away a whole host of other items. Stickers, bottlecaps, chocomilk cartons, hand-rolled cigarettes made from bingo hall administration forms, you-name-it...

But at a minimum of 50 DP per unique item, I canít afford this kind of variety. So hereís a suggestion that would suit me better. Rather than buying a mould to mass produce items with long descriptions, I would be much more interested in:
- paying a one-off cost to buy a memento-making machine (perhaps which was only good for 50 uses)
- paying a low per-character cost to use said machine to churn out non-identical items with names and short-descriptions - ideal for mundane bits of nothing
- having the option to add long descriptions to individual mementos, but at a higher per-char cost (to encourage people to treat them as treasure, rather than bling)

That way, if i wanted to give away 50 mundane items with minimal description, it wouldnít cost me much more than the one-off payment for the machine. But if I wanted to give away items Iíd crafted (therefore deserving more than a single line of description), then Iíd have to pay more to do it.

Other Thoughts

For me, being able to drop/pick up mementos in dwellings would be fantastic. Because it would open up the scope to use dwellings and mementoes together . To make place-oriented mysteries with actual clues, or treasure hunts with actual treasure. HUGE fun factor here (in my view). (Perishable clues would add urgency as well, which could be interesting).

I like the idea of consumables/non-consumables. What about also perishables/non-perishables? (Perhaps with non-perishable items costing more to make than perishables.)

If youíre going to add mild buffs, what about also mild debuffs?

Someone earlier suggested giving capability to add modules to mementos. This idea also interests me. Suppose you had a memento that gave a mild buff or debuff, according to what you did with it? Suppose you could build games of chance into mementos?

Someone also said about showing them in biographies. This would be very nice indeed.

Ok. Thatís all I got, for now.

Posted on: March 05 2011 @ 04:10 PM

Content:

Quote by: Sneaky

I just realized this thing replicates Supply Crates on the map.

I find this most unfun.

There's now a cleanup crew. If you like, you can send any of these to me so we can know when our task is complete (IE we have all 50 copies).

Posted on: March 05 2011 @ 11:27 PM

Content:

"Drop all" causes you to drop all mementos, not just all of the current memento. This appears to drop all in your shoebox or in your backpack. Because of the state of my memento collection mentioned earlier, when I went to the map, I got:

There are 13 here. //these are Memento1s from Shoebox.
There are 2 here. //these are Memento1s from my backpack.
There are 7 here. //These are Memento2s from shoebox.
There is a Memento2 here. //this is a Memento2 from my backpack.

The navigation bar had:

Pick up Memento1
Pick up all
Pick up Memento1
Pick up all
Pick up Memento2
Pick up all
Pick up Memento2

Posted on: March 06 2011 @ 06:39 PM
By: Ryushi

Content:

When i try to make a memento, it keeps saying i don't have enough donator points... which i don't... but i want to spend cobblestones.

Am i doing something wrong?

Oh, and distract me... i RARELY check this forum.

Posted on: March 06 2011 @ 06:47 PM

Content:

You need supporter points for the first Memento, the one with the mold. Subsequent mementos can be bought with cobblestones.

Posted on: March 06 2011 @ 08:43 PM
By: Escemfer

Content:

I would love to have a cheaper one-off mold. Or a same-price one-off mold. Or a mold that you can customize how many uses you want to get out of it. Yes, that one. Customizable, or in a range of smaller batches. Like a 5-use mold.

Like Calliaphone commented, being able to send 50 Dented Bottlecaps to people would be plenty fun, but the most important things I'd want to send would be more unique than that. For example, Esc wouldn't paint the exact same Painting of a Cow every time she wanted to draw a picture for someone. And if I only made the one copy of that... well, that's a bit of a waste, isn't it?

ALSO: This system is cool and I like it! I would gladly sink real cash into messing with this.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 01:44 AM
By: Derp+derp

Content:

Amazing. Now how about making this work for actual shops? And if we make the economy based on Cobblestones, then it doesn't completely wreck the req economy.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 06:44 AM
By: Mogar

Content:

With mementos created that can be consumed,
I think that a consume option should only replace the use option if selected to do so in the creation of the memento mould. I think mementos should have the option to be consumable, usable, or both (for extra DP and two flavour text options).

Now, assuming buffs would be something that can be associated with mementos and that mementos could be consumable...
Usable mementos with a buff would work more like AceHigh Cake, with infinite uses and a short-lasting, weak(?) buff. Open the red music box, "listen, do a jig, get energized to pummel monsters", etc.
A consumable memento should then have the capability to have a stronger buff since it can only be used once to obtain that buff. Eat the Golden-Brown Marshmallow, "get SUPER-MEGA energized to pummel monsters", etc.
A memento that has the option to be consumed or used would then be able to have the weak buff for using it or the strong buff for consuming it. Use the radioactive rock, "have the ability to hit monsters a little harder with it". Eat the radioactive rock, "Hey, it works like that snake oil Salesman' snake oil!", get SUPER-MEGA energized to pummel monsters.
Buffs should also cost more DP, and debuffs should be available and function in the same manner.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 03:17 PM
By: Trowa

Content:

That would be interesting to have a list of buffs to select from, like "+attack", "+defense", "+HP", "+stam", or even weaponized mementos like grenades. All significantly weaker than their in-game programmed counterparts and/or with limited durations, but still, that'd be neat.

Memento: Cheaply Distilled Moonshine
Text: It's a clear bottle of hooch!
Consume: You feel invigorated and capable of anything! ..but you're probably going to make poor decisions.
Buff: Attack +5, 5 rounds

Sort of like a portable version of drinks or items available at specific outposts, just weaker.

Memento: Plastic-wrapped Cake on a Paper Plate
Text: Delicious white cake with vanilla butter-cream frosting, ready to eat at any time thanks to the durable plasticwrap.
Consume: You feel slightly full of cake!
Buff: Defense +5, 5 rounds

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 03:54 PM
By: calliaphone

Content:

Perhaps this is all for a bit further down the line, but since we're talking about buffs etc ...

what about the effect of the maker's race, or skill level, on the items they produce? I mean, any human or mutant or midget might make cakes or jewellery or whatnot. But if you want a bit of cake that does more than barely-there eensy-weensy stam boost or attack/defence enhancement ... then perhaps the maker ought to have earned a bit of skill in this department. Or else be improbably lucky. And perh-haps... if the maker is putting some joker-magic into the equation, then there could be the risk of it backfiring.

of course, that'd be a bummer if it cost a lot to make and then went wrong. but sort-of in keeping with the whole joker aesthetic, maybe.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 04:50 PM

Content:

There is just one problem I have with adding attack/def buffs to mementos, no matter how small. Each extra buff amplifies the next and this spirals outwards.

Say I have 10 base attack. Add 5%, I now have 10+0.5.
Add another memento of 5%, I now have 10+1.025.
One more weak buff, 10+1.576.
Another one, 10+2.15.

Up until this point, it's all fun. Now we'll mix all the other buffs, like weapons, pubs, races, clans, implants and TADAA: +50000 attack. Mementos will go from light-hearted roleplay items to unbalanced and mandatory items for powerplayers. If I can take Titans down by myself in a couple of shots, costs for the trinket won't matter. It'll pay for itself in req or be far too expensive for anyone to bother with.

Now, if there was a negative aspect and an accompanying positive one, it could be interesting. Fights give 50% more req, but experience gained is halved? Actions cost more stamina, but you learn more? You encounter fewer monsters while traveling, but those monsters you do find are tougher?

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 05:55 PM

Content:

Hm, well, I just assumed there'd be a way to prevent that, say by only allowing use of one memento at a time or something? I would think they'd all have the same object property/class/jiggery pokery programmy name...?

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 06:08 PM

Content:

Quote by: Maniak

There is just one problem I have with adding attack/def buffs to mementos, no matter how small. Each extra buff amplifies the next and this spirals outwards.

Say I have 10 base attack. Add 5%, I now have 10+0.5.
Add another memento of 5%, I now have 10+1.025.
One more weak buff, 10+1.576.
Another one, 10+2.15.

Up until this point, it's all fun. Now we'll mix all the other buffs, like weapons, pubs, races, clans, implants and TADAA: +50000 attack. Mementos will go from light-hearted roleplay items to unbalanced and mandatory items for powerplayers. If I can take Titans down by myself in a couple of shots, costs for the trinket won't matter. It'll pay for itself in req or be far too expensive for anyone to bother with.

Now, if there was a negative aspect and an accompanying positive one, it could be interesting. Fights give 50% more req, but experience gained is halved? Actions cost more stamina, but you learn more? You encounter fewer monsters while traveling, but those monsters you do find are tougher?

Possibly it would work out okay if buffs could only be built into consumable mementos? Or maybe if you could only stack a certain number of buffs from mementos, and had to carefully choose which buffs to use at any given time?
Although, the second option could prove problematic if not combined with the first. If permanent, buffed mementos were available, even with a buff-stacking limit, players could build up a large collection of buffed mementos and pick whichever ones fit the circumstances. That could take a lot of the excitement out of being a joker, since you could, to some extent, use your mementos to counteract whatever you're bad at each day.
Though I suppose you could mostly get around that problem by putting round-limits on the buffs and only allowing players to choose which buffs to use once per game day.

Buffs coming with related debuffs sounds like a lot of fun. I'd especially like to see what it would be like to use one which grants travel speed at the expense of fighting ability.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 07:00 PM
By: Count+Sessine

Content:

I say Mementos should be RP-only, as initially conceived.

Once you let them affect gameplay, even slightly... well, you'd think, "Oh, what could it hurt?" The discussion in this thread shows what it will hurt: it undermines the entire concept. Immediately, the idea turns into buff stacking, and stats, and game balance, and finding ways to use them for character advantage, and... no. Just no. That's not what they ought to be.

No buffs. Not even weak ones. What they ought to be is personal mementos. Period.

Being able to (optionally) display a memento in your bio -- that's important.

Being able to (optionally) make a graphic that displays in your bio -- that's important.

If they're set up that way we will see an extraordinary outburst of player creativity in personalizing their characters that will rival what happened with dwellings.

Distributing multiple copies should not be the norm but the rare exception: Clan badges, wedding invitations, sure. But most of them should be unique, personal, and of deep significance to the player who displays them.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 07:05 PM

Content:

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Distributing multiple copies should not be the norm but the rare exception: Clan badges, wedding invitations, sure. But most of them should be unique, personal, and of deep significance to the player who displays them.

Agreed, though the current setup definitely doesn't seem to reflect this. Making duplicates cost less, or optionally a currency that people have been stockpiling with no outlet for months, makes it seem like the system is advocating making a few dozen of an item if you make one - Why not, after all? You've paid $2 for the item, and duplicates are basically free.

I'd like to reiterate my desire to be able to display Mementos in dwellings - Either for sale, as Derp mentioned, or as a display case. My ORD has uses for both.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 07:26 PM
By: Buddleia

Content:

Ok, this looks like an awesome idea, but I have a few points to make.

I agree with Calliaphone and Escemfer particularly on the pricing. The way it is set up, I have no plans to use this system. Not even for "Buddleia's Fliers" with all the tinyurls. It favours mass production by people who can afford to throw hundreds of supporter points away on a whim, not people who want to make interesting and amusing trinkets to give on the spur of the moment, or even people who want to make meaningful gifts for special friends. If they were cheaper, if you paid a sensible up-front fee and then could make individual (unique) mementos very cheaply, I would be more interested.

I also very strongly agree with Sessine about their use. Mementos should be personal items that mean something to the characters giving and recieving, not just yet another buff, yet another way of exchanging supporter points (yes, or cobblestones - I do love the idea of this as a use for them) for game bonuses. However, this discussion seems to be polarising the group a little. Some favor them as gameplay enhancers, but I am very much in favor of them as "just" roleplay aids. If they are to have buffs, I vote for those being very, very small, and very, very expensive compared to a "normal", just-roleplay memento. Perhaps even with a different name, e.g., talismens. Or even Adjective Noun of Nouns.

It would be good to be able to display them in bios. Perhaps after the Trophies section. That could be a tick-box or something in the Inventory screen.

I like the Drop On Map feature, but it would be oh so awesome to be able to put them in rooms in houses. But you can't see your inventory from in a house, so maybe that will have to wait until Season Three ...

Also: the Hunter's Lodge says that they can be sent via the gifting station in Kittania - this should be the Common Grounds, surely?

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 08:32 PM

Content:

Agreed, though the current setup definitely doesn't seem to reflect this. Making duplicates cost less, or optionally a currency that people have been stockpiling with no outlet for months, makes it seem like the system is advocating making a few dozen of an item if you make one - Why not, after all? You've paid $2 for the item, and duplicates are basically free.

I'd like to reiterate my desire to be able to display Mementos in dwellings - Either for sale, as Derp mentioned, or as a display case. My ORD has uses for both.

Yes. You're right about the pricing structure influencing how people will use it.

The pricing ought to be $x for a one-off mould, and 2 * $x, plus a low per-copy cost, for a mould that can make multiple copies.

A display case in a dwelling would fit nicely with the concept. But mementos should not be for sale! Gifts? yes. Sale...? absolutely not. Not even for cobblestones.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 08:35 PM

Content:

Yes. Perhaps the 50-mold should be more expensive, and a single, one-use mold option should be available at a cheaper price or maybe just for Cobblestones. I can't think of many roleplay items that I'd want to mass produce.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 08:39 PM

Content:

Yes. You're right about the pricing structure influencing how people will use it.

The pricing ought to be $x for a one-off mould, and 2 * $x, plus a low per-copy cost, for a mould that can make multiple copies.

A display case in a dwelling would fit nicely with the concept. But mementos should not be for sale! Gifts? yes. Sale...? absolutely not. Not even for cobblestones.

But my soda machine! Cry
Honestly, just some way to have an automatic dispenser would be nice. For the exact same reason. I want a vending machine, even if it's busted and gives out items for free.
(Or one of those "take a number" ticket dispensers for the Bordello? Wink )

Another... rough... topic - What about recycling mementos? I've been finding a lot of garbage mementos (One that was ascii breasts, nothing else. Really? Come on, people), and while I don't mind helping keep the island clean, it'd be kind of nice if we could turn them in for cobblestones or something.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 08:53 PM
By: Hairy+Mary

Content:

I'm with Beeps here. Mementos could be used for all sorts of things, lets not limit their flexibility. Yes, one of their principle uses will be for hand made gifts for each other, but there will be many other surprises that people could come up with. Some of them may involve making lots of copies. Some might be production line items for sale, as Beeps would like.

Like dwellings, which were conceived as, well, dwellings. Places which could be built to live in. They've been used for all sorts of things. From train stations to tricksy non-crates to fool people.

Lets give as much scope for the imagination to roam in as possible, rather than trying to limit them to our preconceived ideas.

With buffs on the other hand, I reluctantly agree that that probably would be a bad idea.

Being able to display them in dwellings would be great. I for one would be tempted to start contributing books to the various libraries around the place.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 09:01 PM

Content:

A thought: Mementos, if they remain a roleplay-only item, provide a Hunter's Lodge item which will be bought repeatedly by the same players, but which does not grant any real extra power to the people who donate. Previously, the only items like that have been the special comment quills, since I suspect that most people who plan to change their titles and name colors with any frequency buy the permanent versions of those items fairly quickly. Most items which are likely to be bought repeatedly are things like Cigarette Boxes or Builder's Brews which have an actual effect on the game. Mementos are popular, repeatable, and absolutely unnecessary to gameplay, and I think that's truly excellent.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 09:22 PM
By: CavemanJoe

Content:

Oh, I'm gonna be giving Mementos a jolly good tweak this week, make no mistake.

Update:
Using the CobbleStone option, Memento copies now cost xx CobbleStones and one Supporter Point. That should cut down on the spam.
You can now put in plural names (used mostly on the World Map).
Mementos can now be shown or hidden from your Bio.

Upcoming:
A Dwellings option to check for the presence of a given Memento and replace flavour text if true.
Pricing adjustments.

A quick reminder:
Mementos aren't anonymous. They keep track of who made what, and it'd be the work of a moment to show that info in your Inventory (this Supply Crate spam created by...).

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 09:29 PM

Content:

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Oh, I'm gonna be giving Mementos a jolly good tweak this week, make no mistake.

Update:
Using the CobbleStone option, Memento copies now cost xx CobbleStones and one Supporter Point. That should cut down on the spam.

Best penny I ever spent. This actually pretty well with the rest of the WCG stuff - Get enough cobblestones and supporter points to make five copies a day.

Upcoming:
A Dwellings option to check for the presence of a given Memento and replace flavour text if true.

I'm curious about this. Replace flavour text how?

A quick reminder:
Mementos aren't anonymous. They keep track of who made what, and it'd be the work of a moment to show that info in your Inventory (this Supply Crate spam created by...).

It also helps when the spam lists a dwelling, and the creator of them is proudly pushing the mementos on people.

The addition of the hide/show option seems to be making my current collection of Mementos even longer. I now have two single Memento1s (One which had been shown in my bio for a moment and one that hadn't) and two grouped Memento2s in my backpack.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 09:34 PM

Content:

I'm sorry for raining on the buffs-parade, people. It's just a game-mechanic, one that's open for possible abuse.

Recycling of mementos: Mementos are objects that serve as a mental bridge to a memory. Usually they are souvenirs, pictures. Things of low value. If you don't want it anymore, you throw it out. Or burn. Or drown in the ocean. I'm looking at you, Mr Runcible. Uh, so no recycling please. Don't you have enough cobblestones as it is?

As for pricing for individual/mass production Mementos. I like the forge idea we have now. Maybe you could buy a forge/kiln for 50 custom/unique mementos? The kiln itself would be slightly more expensive than a mold, or could be based on a 100 character description, 225 character use text. Cobblestone prices would vary, depending on character length.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 09:38 PM

Content:

Uh, so no recycling please. Don't you have enough cobblestones as it is?

I think the idea is mostly to be able to get rid of the... well, frankly stupid mementos. Like ascii breasts. I have to agree with the 'come on, really?' sentiment.

Ooh. Dynamic dwelling descriptions? Very yes.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 09:41 PM

Content:

The addition of the hide/show option seems to be making my current collection of Mementos even longer. I now have two single Memento1s (One which had been shown in my bio for a moment and one that hadn't) and two grouped Memento2s in my backpack.

Hmm. This is working almost as it should. The Inventory system will automatically group items whose prefs are identical, so that's working as intended - but I think there's a discrepancy in how item prefs are being saved (ah, PHP - TRUE can end up as a bool, int, or string, depending on how you hold your mouth at the time).

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 09:42 PM

Content:

Hmm. This is working almost as it should. The Inventory system will automatically group items whose prefs are identical, so that's working as intended - but I think there's a discrepancy in how item prefs are being saved (ah, PHP - TRUE can end up as a bool, int, or string, depending on how you hold your mouth at the time).

I don't think there are supposed to be Mementos in my backpack at all, either. I may be mistaken.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 09:43 PM

Content:

Uh, so no recycling please. Don't you have enough cobblestones as it is?

I think the idea is mostly to be able to get rid of the... well, frankly stupid mementos. Like ascii breasts. I have to agree with the 'come on, really?' sentiment.

Ooh. Dynamic dwelling descriptions? Very yes.

If you come across spam Mementos cluttering up the world map, just toss 'em. Spam is in the eye of the beholder, and if they're on the World Map lying around and not belonging to anyone, they're fair game.

And yeah, the flavour text thing - well, basically you'd be able to append an extra bit of text to the room description, that only shows up when the player has xx Memento.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 09:44 PM

Content:

I don't think there are supposed to be Mementos in my backpack at all, either. I may be mistaken.

No, no there are not. :-/ They're all supposed to go in your ShoeBox. This might be a bug left over from when I first launched Mementos, in which case... do you even have a ShoeBox?

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 09:47 PM

Content:

No, no there are not. :-/ They're all supposed to go in your ShoeBox. This might be a bug left over from when I first launched Mementos, in which case... do you even have a ShoeBox?

BEHOLD, THE RECURSIVE QUOTATION PYRAMID

I have a shoebox. I either accidentally or purposefully transferred a couple mementos to my backpack, but there's no option to transfer them back, so they're just stuck. I could toss them, but I'm trying to keep count.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 09:56 PM

Content:

And yeah, the flavour text thing - well, basically you'd be able to append an extra bit of text to the room description, that only shows up when the player has xx Memento.

Would this work like when you're finding a card, or could there be more creative ways to change room descriptions? Say you hold 3D-glasses or a stack of LSD, could that change the entire room description?

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 09:59 PM

Content:

"The note you were given earlier reminds you that the secret password is 'Butter.'"

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 10:00 PM

Content:

I have a shoebox. I either accidentally or purposefully transferred a couple mementos to my backpack, but there's no option to transfer them back, so they're just stuck. I could toss them, but I'm trying to keep count.

They should probably be set up like playing cards, which only go in their card case and can never be transferred to any other container.

Come to think of it... while you're in there looking at the inventory code, it would be very nice if you could add an option to container objects to toggle them open and closed. (That is, open: list their contents, or closed: don't list them, show only the container.) Backpack, bandolier, lodge bag, card case, and now shoebox... we're now up to five container objects, and who knows what else may come along?

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 10:00 PM

Content:

I realize this is entirely unrelated to mementos, really, but I think the idea of being able to set up multiple dwelling descriptions for weather/time of day/whatever has come up before. Is anything like that in the works? I've an upcoming project that I'd love to be able to set up nighttime descriptions for, like in the common ground.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 10:08 PM

Content:

They should probably be set up like playing cards, which only go in their card case and can never be transferred to any other container.

Come to think of it... while you're in there looking at the inventory code, it would be very nice if you could add an option to container objects to toggle them open and closed. (That is, open: list their contents, or closed: don't list them, show only the container.) Backpack, bandolier, lodge bag, card case, and now shoebox... we're now up to five container objects, and who knows what else may come along?

Good idea. I'll probably end up doing this with JavaScript.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 10:09 PM

Content:

I realize this is entirely unrelated to mementos, really, but I think the idea of being able to set up multiple dwelling descriptions for weather/time of day/whatever has come up before. Is anything like that in the works? I've an upcoming project that I'd love to be able to set up nighttime descriptions for, like in the common ground.

Yes, that's coming - but we've gotta sort out the time and weather system first. Which is nearly finished, now.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 10:11 PM

Content:

On the same subject, could the Jump to: Bandolier, Backpack, lodge bag, card case buttons be moved to the LEFT, together with the Sort By Alphabetical, Quantity buttons?

Go little quote pyramid go!

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 10:38 PM
By: Mogar

Content:

On the same subject, could the Jump to: Bandolier, Backpack, lodge bag, card case buttons be moved to the LEFT, together with the Sort By Alphabetical, Quantity buttons?

Go little quote pyramid go!

To add some pocket change to the Shoebox discussion, I don't have a shoebox either. I transferred an item to my backpack, and can't get it out, even if I put it down and pick it back up, and the other item has an out of container section at the very bottom of my inventory and it has its own empty glitchboxitem beneath that that doesn't go away. As information that may not have been stated yet, the empty glitchboxitem disappears when you move an item to the backpack. I haven't experimented yet, but I believe that mementos in the backpack follow the light/dark switching background between items,if that means anything or helps at all.

And, perhaps, show "Quantity: 1 | Weight:1.8 kg" when there's only one of an item in the pack? I don't know how other people feel about it, and it probably took some work to hide it, but I would love seeing blue numbers on everything! Among other reasons, like it lines everything up a bit more nicely.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 10:51 PM

Content:

Quote by: Mogar

To add some pocket change to the Shoebox discussion, I don't have a shoebox either. I transferred an item to my backpack, and can't get it out, even if I put it down and pick it back up, and the other item has an out of container section at the very bottom of my inventory and it has its own empty glitchboxitem beneath that that doesn't go away. As information that may not have been stated yet, the empty glitchboxitem disappears when you move an item to the backpack. I haven't experimented yet, but I believe that mementos in the backpack follow the light/dark switching background between items,if that means anything or helps at all.

You should hopefully be fixed now?

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 10:54 PM

Content:

My shoebox isn't actually marked 'Shoebox'; it's just a blank box. Is that how it's supposed to work, or has something gone wrong?

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 10:57 PM

Content:

I don't have a shoebox, period. Then again, I don't have any mementos, either, so I dunno if that's worth mentioning.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 10:59 PM

Content:

My shoebox isn't actually marked 'Shoebox'; it's just a blank box. Is that how it's supposed to work, or has something gone wrong?

Nah, it's supposed to be a shoebox.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 11:00 PM

Content:

I don't have a shoebox, period. Then again, I don't have any mementos, either, so I dunno if that's worth mentioning.

You should get your shoebox the first time you get a Memento.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 11:33 PM
By: Ashtu

Content:

....One that was ascii breasts, nothing else....

You were kidding, right? Please tell me you were kidding.....

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 11:43 PM

Content:

Quote by: Ashtu

You were kidding, right? Please tell me you were kidding.....

I'd send it to you if I hadn't burned it on sight.

Backpack stuff appears to be all cleaned up. Mementos that are shown, then hidden again, also go back into the stack correctly. Thanks tons, Joe.

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 11:53 PM

Content:

ASCII breasts are boring.

ASCII tits are much more amusing.

PHP Formatted Code

:tfLLLfjj,       
                                tLjtjtttiijj;, 
                               ;L.       ,:       
                              ,.Lf,. .;jj.       
                            .i;;jffLjLLLf         
                          .;tttittittjtLf:       
                        :tjfftjjjjffjf :j;       
                      :ijjffjt;itttff:  i;       
                    :;jffffjfffjffj;    j:       
                  .jLLLLLfffffjt;:    .t.         
                .jGfjfjjffti,.       ,t           
               ,Lfjjjti,          ,ii.           
            :iffjti,,,,:::. .:::,,               
        ,ijLfi,.        ;i;;.                     
     ,tLLt;.             f.L:                     
    ,;,.               :;i,;L                     
                        ....ji                   
                           .::.                   

Posted on: March 07 2011 @ 11:54 PM

Content:

ASCII breasts are boring.

ASCII tits are much more amusing.

PHP Formatted Code

:tfLLLfjj,       
                                tLjtjtttiijj;, 
                               ;L.       ,:       
                              ,.Lf,. .;jj.       
                            .i;;jffLjLLLf         
                          .;tttittittjtLf:       
                        :tjfftjjjjffjf :j;       
                      :ijjffjt;itttff:  i;       
                    :;jffffjfffjffj;    j:       
                  .jLLLLLfffffjt;:    .t.         
                .jGfjfjjffti,.       ,t           
               ,Lfjjjti,          ,ii.           
            :iffjti,,,,:::. .:::,,               
        ,ijLfi,.        ;i;;.                     
     ,tLLt;.             f.L:                     
    ,;,.               :;i,;L                     
                        ....ji                   
                           .::.                   

...Agreed. I'd have at least laughed if that's what it had been.

Posted on: March 08 2011 @ 08:59 AM

Content:

I WRITE DWELLING AND MEMENTO STUFF.

I fiddle with the grotesque innards of Dwellings while sleep-deprived and listening to this. And this.

(edit: better with video)

So basically you'll be able to set up your Mementos so that...

Well, say your Memento is a bucket of soapy frogs. You'll be able to walk through your Dwelling and have your frogs pass comment on each individual room. You'll also be able to walk through the same Dwelling with a completely different Memento and have completely different things happen. You'll ALSO be able to walk through a completely different Dwelling with your original bucket of soapy frogs and have them do different things. You specify the actions and triggers from your Dwelling, but each Memento needn't be tied to just one specific room, and each room needn't be tied to just one specific Memento.

This sounds horribly horribly complicated from a codey standpoint, but it's actually just

PHP Formatted Code
set_item_pref("memento_dwellingtrigger_".$hid."_".$rid,$thingthatyouwanttohappen,$itemid);

I love my Items system. The Dwellings system is horrible and I will rewrite it One Of These Days.

Posted on: March 08 2011 @ 12:31 PM
By: Wigs

Content:

Well, say your Memento is a bucket of soapy frogs. You'll be able to walk through your Dwelling and have your frogs pass comment on each individual room. You'll also be able to walk through the same Dwelling with a completely different Memento and have completely different things happen. You'll ALSO be able to walk through a completely different Dwelling with your original bucket of soapy frogs and have them do different things. You specify the actions and triggers from your Dwelling, but each Memento needn't be tied to just one specific room, and each room needn't be tied to just one specific Memento.

So, this is exactly what I had been hoping to read.
Though will this apply to anyone with a dwelling or will there be prerequisites?

Posted on: March 08 2011 @ 02:04 PM

Content:

I WRITE DWELLING AND MEMENTO STUFF.

I fiddle with the grotesque innards of Dwellings while sleep-deprived and listening to this. And this.

(edit: better with video)

This sounds horribly horribly complicated from a codey standpoint, but it's actually just

PHP Formatted Code
set_item_pref("memento_dwellingtrigger_".$hid."_".$rid,$thingthatyouwanttohappen,$itemid);

I love my Items system. The Dwellings system is horrible and I will rewrite it One Of These Days.

Oh. You're right, that does sound horribly horribly complicated. It also sounds like great fun. Now I've got to go and think of something to do with it. Big Grin

Posted on: March 09 2011 @ 01:23 AM
By: tehdave

Content:

If I can take Titans down by myself in a couple of shots, costs for the trinket won't matter. It'll pay for itself in req or be far too expensive for anyone to bother with.

If you take a Titan down in one shot, you get a grand total of ~1005 req for it.

Posted on: March 09 2011 @ 02:11 AM

Content:

If you pick up a memento, you don't automagically get a shoebox. If you make a Memento, you automagically get a shoebox. Not sure about gifting, at the moment...

Posted on: March 09 2011 @ 02:16 AM

Content:

Picked up mementos do seem to end up in the player's backpack still. I just picked up another a bit ago, and it's in my backpack.

Posted on: March 09 2011 @ 04:25 AM
By: Awesome+Fred

Content:

I honestly don't get why Mementos are on a per-character cost.

The characters are necessary to say the idea behind the item that's being crafted, and as such, the English language is what truly determines the "worth" of the item you wish to make. I don't think we'll get to the point where people starved on SP will use 'u' and 'r' and '4' and 'srsly' in their mementos, but it's the whole general direction that I wouldn't want things to point. I also don't think it's that great to say that "This is a green gum wrapper" should cost slightly more than a memento that says "This is a red gum wrapper". It's not like the green one is more interesting and thereby worth more to produce.

Then, there's that whole multiple copies of the same one being cheaper. It encourages mass-production, but reading people's bios, it's not like everyone has indistinguishable cookies handed out by a single person--those items are generally unique.

That's why I'd say to keep it simple. I think a flat cost per memento is really the most sensible sale model in this case.

At least for Supporter Points. Maybe a flat SP cost and a per-character Cobblestone cost.

But flat SP cost for sure.

Posted on: March 09 2011 @ 02:50 PM

Content:

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

I honestly don't get why Mementos are on a per-character cost.

The characters are necessary to say the idea behind the item that's being crafted, and as such, the English language is what truly determines the "worth" of the item you wish to make. I don't think we'll get to the point where people starved on SP will use 'u' and 'r' and '4' and 'srsly' in their mementos, but it's the whole general direction that I wouldn't want things to point. I also don't think it's that great to say that "This is a green gum wrapper" should cost slightly more than a memento that says "This is a red gum wrapper". It's not like the green one is more interesting and thereby worth more to produce.

Then, there's that whole multiple copies of the same one being cheaper. It encourages mass-production, but reading people's bios, it's not like everyone has indistinguishable cookies handed out by a single person--those items are generally unique.

That's why I'd say to keep it simple. I think a flat cost per memento is really the most sensible sale model in this case.

At least for Supporter Points. Maybe a flat SP cost and a per-character Cobblestone cost.

But flat SP cost for sure.

I think there needs to be some way for the cost to correspond to what exactly you want to create. Number of characters may not correspond perfectly to complication, but in a text-based game, it's the best measure we've got. It's worked out okay for decorating Dwellings, and I don't really think the one-supporter-point cost difference between a red gum wrapper and a green gum wrapper is really a super big deal.

One interesting thing is that it makes generic, well-known items much cheaper to produce than items that have never before been seen. For example, if people didn't have words for what 'gum' was or what 'red' was or what a 'wrapper' was, I would have to describe a 'red gum wrapper' as 'A small piece of paper, slightly sticky from the residue of the chewy candy it once contained, colored in such a way as to reflect light at a wavelength between roughly 630 and 740 nanometers.' Or something like that. I could probably cut that down a bit, but not very much without losing clarity. And the fewer specific words people had for things, the longer I would have to make it.

For this reason, it would cost more to create e.g. a completely new type of flower than it would to create a rose. It would be extremely cheap to create a complicated but well-known item like a watch or even a car. What all this means is that while the cost corresponds less exactly to the actual complication of the item, it corresponds more exactly to how special and unique that item is. Not really sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it's.... interesting.

Posted on: March 09 2011 @ 06:54 PM

Content:

You should get your shoebox the first time you get a Memento.

I have picked up and put down a Memento, and now I've been sent one, too. I still don't have a Shoebox, just an unnamed section.

That's where the items from Gifts appear, too, when you open the box. It doesn't default to your Inventory or Lodge bag or card case as appropriate. Maybe it's a sort of sorting area?

Posted on: March 09 2011 @ 07:05 PM
By: Anna+Dewhurst

Content:

Picked up mementos do seem to end up in the player's backpack still. I just picked up another a bit ago, and it's in my backpack.

This isn't the case for me -- I've never created a memento, and I have a shoebox, and the mementos I do pick up always end up there.

Posted on: March 10 2011 @ 04:25 AM
By: Mack

Content:

One small issue, I was creating mementos with my cobblestone, and my page size decided to suddenly change, costing me 28 more supporter points than I was intending to spend...

Also, just to point it out, there is a small black ] in the top right corner of the memento forge screen. (On top of the skin.)

Posted on: March 11 2011 @ 06:09 AM

Content:

Bug: you can't gift more than one of the same memento per game day.

Also, an option where you can edit existing molds for a reduced price would be nice. Only after making a mold and then several copies did I notice that I made a small typo on it. Fuck!

Posted on: March 11 2011 @ 06:22 AM

Content:

Bug: you can't gift more than one of the same memento per game day.

I'm not sure this is the case. I managed to gift several Glorious Bastard trophies in one gameday. Could be to the same person though...

Posted on: March 11 2011 @ 06:24 AM

Content:

Well, I tried to gift one of them to someone and then another to someone else; not only did it not reduce the number of mementos I had, but the count only went down by one when I New Day'd. And I have no idea whom it went to.

Posted on: March 11 2011 @ 10:04 AM
By: Harris

Content:

I'm liking mementos so far- and kudos to whoever came up with the counterfeit playing cards. Mr. Green
Haven't tried making any yet, but I have had some technical problems as well:

I got a memento as a gift, and upon opening it, received my memento in the same unmarked featureless box at the bottom of my inventory that opened gifts always go into.
When I picked up my second memento off of the map, my shoebox appeared, with my second memento in it.
Lastly, I too have joined the ranks of those who've gotten a memento stuck in their backpack. Is that still bad? If so, help?

Posted on: March 15 2011 @ 03:05 PM
By: Derp+derp

Content:

Would it be possible to allow Mementos made by someone else to trigger text in dwellings?

Posted on: March 15 2011 @ 03:28 PM

Content:

Quote by: Derp+derp

Would it be possible to allow Mementos made by someone else to trigger text in dwellings?

Second this, if it's possible. I wanted to have fun things happen in my dwelling to those in the SAVOR Clan, but Makiwa made the badge. So, currently, I'd have to make my own "SAVOR Clan Secret Key" or something for my dwelling.

Posted on: March 15 2011 @ 08:59 PM

Content:

You can set your own Mementos to trigger inside a Dwelling if you have... off the top of my head, one key down from a Master Key, I believe. I might change this in the future, but it'd require consent from both the Memento owner and the Dwelling owner.

Posted on: March 15 2011 @ 09:04 PM

Content:

You can set your own Mementos to trigger inside a Dwelling if you have... off the top of my head, one key down from a Master Key, I believe. I might change this in the future, but it'd require consent from both the Memento owner and the Dwelling owner.

To make sure I understand, this would mean that in Trowa's case, if he wants to make the SAVOR clan badge have an effect in his dwelling, he has to buy the key below Master Key for the SAVOR clan leader (Or whomever made the badges) in order to have a room made with an effect? This would also mean that the person paying for the effect (The description of it sounds like they cost SP) would be the creator of the Badge, and not the creator of the dwelling?

Posted on: March 15 2011 @ 09:10 PM

Content:

To make sure I understand, this would mean that in Trowa's case, if he wants to make the SAVOR clan badge have an effect in his dwelling, he has to buy the key below Master Key for the SAVOR clan leader (Or whomever made the badges) in order to have a room made with an effect? This would also mean that the person paying for the effect (The description of it sounds like they cost SP) would be the creator of the Badge, and not the creator of the dwelling?

The system as it stands now:
To do an effect, you have to own the Memento mould, and you have to have a DeadBolt key or better for the room to which you want to add flavour text, and you have to have Supporter Points to pay for the effect text. So yes, you're correct. This might change, but I'll need a way to enforce both Memento owner and Dwelling owner consenting to the effects.

Posted on: March 15 2011 @ 09:14 PM

Content:

So, worth asking... Can Moulds be transfered? If so, would that be a simple way to handle this? Just send the mould to the person who wants to make a special description. Claim it's because the copies are imperfect and the only way you can know the trigger will happen for all copies is by making the trigger off the original or something.

Posted on: March 15 2011 @ 09:22 PM

Content:

So, worth asking... Can Moulds be transfered? If so, would that be a simple way to handle this? Just send the mould to the person who wants to make a special description. Claim it's because the copies are imperfect and the only way you can know the trigger will happen for all copies is by making the trigger off the original or something.

That's not a bad idea. Yeah, that could work.

Posted on: March 17 2011 @ 09:28 PM

Content:

Mementos triggering flavour text in dwellings! Much awesomeness and fun!

Of course I went and created the trigger in the wrong room and there's no way to delete it. Overwrote the text with something more appropriate for that room so no biggy. Just thought I'd mention it.

Now if the secret pass phrase issue could be fixed.......

Smile

Posted on: March 17 2011 @ 09:43 PM

Content:

Quote by: Makiwa

Now if the secret pass phrase issue could be fixed...

I've heard this brought up a couple times, but can't get any specifics from people. Is it happening on all secret rooms? Only on specific ones? Can you share the information so that people who jab code with pointy sticks can try to figure out what's going on?

Posted on: March 18 2011 @ 04:03 AM

Content:

Hmm, there was a couple of posts about this but can's seem to find them.

This has happened with every secret room's pass phrases that I've made.

Enter one (or more) pass phrase in the boxes and after hitting submit (save or whatever) it auto fills the rest of the boxes with other crap, like, USD and the url of LOTGD and other nonsense which you then can't get rid of.

No time to log in an check the specific entries right now but will later if needs be.

Thanks for taking a look at this Beeps.

Posted on: March 18 2011 @ 04:23 AM

Content:

sorry can't seem to edit last post post.

This is what I get:

Posted on: March 18 2011 @ 04:30 AM

Content:

sorry can't seem to edit last post post.

This is what I get:

Oh. Hello, MightyE paypal donation form. What are you doing here?

Posted on: March 18 2011 @ 04:38 AM
By: dizzyizzy

Content:

I have it at least twice. I'll check for you at a more opportune time.

Posted on: March 18 2011 @ 04:49 AM

Content:

What if

PHP Formatted Code
if (httpget("save")){
        $posted = httpallpost();
        $nphrases = array();
        foreach($posted AS $phrase){
                $nphrase = stripslashes($phrase);
                if ($nphrase!=""){
                        $nphrases[]=strtoupper($nphrase);
                }
        }
        $house['data']['rooms'][$rid]['triggers']=$nphrases;
        improbablehousing_sethousedata($house);
}

becomes

PHP Formatted Code
if (httpget("save")){
        $nphrases = array();
        $phrasecount = 0;
        while (isset($_REQUEST['secretcode' . $phrasecount]))
        {
                $nphrase = stripslashes($_REQUEST['phrase' . $phrasecount]);
                if ($nphrase!=""){
                }
                $phrasecount++;
        }
}

Obvious caveats: You can't leave a password field blank, or it'll stop. Though why would you leave a field blank? And wouldn't it just get pushed up when the page is reloaded?

Posted on: March 18 2011 @ 06:39 AM

Content:

Beeps! You figured out what it is. Good stuff.

I hope the question about the code wasn't directed at me. It looks like some strange Klingon dialect, translated into Cantonese and then toEnglish. Confused

Posted on: March 18 2011 @ 06:42 AM

Content:

I'd had a general idea of what was causing it back in... December(?) when it was first brought up, but no one was comfortable sharing the exact information of what was getting inserted. The way it was worded, I thought it was actually putting lines of PHP in. Here's hoping this gets tested/implemented?

Posted on: March 18 2011 @ 10:44 AM

Content:

If you want a specific example to play with/test, then I can cut you a key to my dwelling which has a secret room in it.

Posted on: March 18 2011 @ 11:44 AM
By: Twosocks+Monkey

Content:

Please don't smack me if this was already covered here.

I don't have time to read all the comments, however, I noticed that it appears as though twice now I've been gifted mementos with no form of alert.

I was amazed to check my inventory and find them lurking there.

I was gifted req once, and got a distraction to alert me.

Can memento gifting also have this power? Of distraction? So we know to look in our inventory? Or am I stupid and missed something? It's totally probable.

Big Grin

-Rose

Posted on: March 18 2011 @ 12:35 PM

Content:

T here is a message at Newday whenever you get a gift. It's something along the lines of "There is a gift here, awesome!"

Posted on: March 18 2011 @ 01:36 PM

Content:

When Req is Transfered to you through the Bank, you get a distraction. When someone sends you a gift through the Gifting Station, it's as Maniak says; you see the gift at the New Day screen in purple text.

I love the Improbable Island Parcel Service, always so prompt with next day deliveries! Big Grin

Posted on: March 18 2011 @ 02:08 PM

Content:

Quote by: Trowa

When Req is Transfered to you through the Bank, you get a distraction. When someone sends you a gift through the Gifting Station, it's as Maniak says; you see the gift at the New Day screen in purple text.

I love the Improbable Island Parcel Service, always so prompt with next day deliveries! Big Grin

The trampways are in there for a reason.

Posted on: March 18 2011 @ 03:39 PM

Content:

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

If you want a specific example to play with/test, then I can cut you a key to my dwelling which has a secret room in it.

Thanks for the offer, but if I test, I'll have to do it on my test server - only place I can actually change the code to test.

Posted on: March 18 2011 @ 03:56 PM

Content:

On a related note:

PHP Formatted Code

if (httpget("save")){
        $nphrases = array();
        $phrasecount = 1;
        while (isset($_POST['phrase' . $phrasecount]))
        {
                $nphrase = stripslashes($_POST['phrase' . $phrasecount]);
                if ($nphrase!=""){
                }
                $phrasecount++;
        }
}

Is tested on said server and appears to solve the issue. I'd accidentally used "secretcode" instead of "phrase" and $_REQUEST instead of $_POST in my original fix.

Posted on: March 18 2011 @ 04:33 PM

Content:

On a related note:

PHP Formatted Code

if (httpget("save")){
        $nphrases = array();
        $phrasecount = 1;
        while (isset($_POST['phrase' . $phrasecount]))
        {
                $nphrase = stripslashes($_POST['phrase' . $phrasecount]);
                if ($nphrase!=""){
                }
                $phrasecount++;
        }
}

Is tested on said server and appears to solve the issue. I'd accidentally used "secretcode" instead of "phrase" and $_REQUEST instead of $_POST in my original fix.

Beeps thanks so much for looking into this. And it seem you've found a cure!?

So what are the next steps/procedure to get it implemented?

Sorry labs/coding not my thing.

Posted on: March 18 2011 @ 04:37 PM

Content:

Hope it gets picked up? I gave the solution for the broken images in the Abandoned Castle back in November. The fix for not being able to run while traveling got picked up pretty quick, though. Took a couple days for that, I think? I've posted fixes and adjustments all over the place, and there doesn't seem to be a standard place to post something that will get it noticed.

Since this is a bug with a feature that actually costs something, I imagine it'll get fixed pretty quick.

Posted on: March 18 2011 @ 04:40 PM

Content:

Hope it gets picked up? I gave the solution for the broken images in the Abandoned Castle back in November. The fix for not being able to run while traveling got picked up pretty quick, though. Took a couple days for that, I think? I've posted fixes and adjustments all over the place, and there doesn't seem to be a standard place to post something that will get it noticed.

I cross fingers and dream Big Grin

Posted on: March 24 2011 @ 10:12 AM
By: Raidur

Content:

This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but gifting things is not possible if you run out of supporter points. Ran out of points making mementos and then couldn't gift them because I have 0 supporter points left, even though their free to gift.

Posted on: March 23 2011 @ 10:03 PM

Content:

So I hate to be That Guy again, but there's a bit of a problem with mementos that I think would be easily solved. I hope I'm not the only one who sees it.

Copies are still too cheap, and the original molds are too expensive. This means that making just one of a memento is a much less attractive option, and it means that if a memento is made it's going to have like a billion copies of it on the island as well. It makes them less personal, with cookie-cutter, generic mementos with dozens of copies flying around instead of ones that are unique. That feels like it flies in the face of the entire point.

With a system like this, mass produced mementos are the rule, and the ones that are gifted from one single player to another single player are the exception. That's not right! This should be the other way around.

I suggested this earlier in the thread, and I'm gonna bang on it again, sorry. I think there needs to be an option for a single use memento mold, at a far reduced per-character cost for uses and descriptions - half, a quarter? - to make it just as an attractive option as the mass-producible ones.

Posted on: March 23 2011 @ 10:32 PM

Content:

I tend to agree, at least since we have these new attributes tied to them. What if I get a memento with an attribute, and think someone else deserves it as well? I can't make a copy of a Memento that was gifted to me, I'd have to make a new one. I'm a nice guy and fairly altruistic (and modest too!), but I don't feel like spending a buck on telling someone their hair looks nice.

Posted on: March 24 2011 @ 03:33 PM

Content:

So I hate to be That Guy again, but there's a bit of a problem with mementos that I think would be easily solved. I hope I'm not the only one who sees it.

Copies are still too cheap, and the original molds are too expensive. This means that making just one of a memento is a much less attractive option, and it means that if a memento is made it's going to have like a billion copies of it on the island as well. It makes them less personal, with cookie-cutter, generic mementos with dozens of copies flying around instead of ones that are unique. That feels like it flies in the face of the entire point.

With a system like this, mass produced mementos are the rule, and the ones that are gifted from one single player to another single player are the exception. That's not right! This should be the other way around.

I suggested this earlier in the thread, and I'm gonna bang on it again, sorry. I think there needs to be an option for a single use memento mold, at a far reduced per-character cost for uses and descriptions - half, a quarter? - to make it just as an attractive option as the mass-producible ones.

I gotta agree with Mattie. I still have no plans to make Mementos precisely because of this. With the current pricing structure, the only thing I have even briefly considered actually paying money for is making a generic thank-you note, for giving to people to say "hey, that scene was fun to play" or "hey, that scene was fun to read" or similar. Which would be, at best, rather impersonal. A Natter would do just as well.

Posted on: March 24 2011 @ 04:09 PM
By: Awesome+Fred

Content:

I really, really think that making Mementos on a flat 100 or such supporter point cost would be so much simpler in terms of what is encouraged and what is not. Cobblestones could determine character costs if for some reason you really wanted to compare the 'value' of Memento to Memento. Cobblestones could provide some cheap way to mass-produce or something. But on SP cost, a flat price on creating a Memento is most reasonable in my head.

Posted on: March 26 2011 @ 04:43 AM

Content:

Moulds really need some kind of indicator on the gifting screen. At least on the gifting screen.

Posted on: March 27 2011 @ 10:10 PM
By: Mothball

Content:

What might be nice would be the ability to edit an already made Memento. Such as if you realized you had typoed, or if you want your Animated Plushie to begin whispering in people's ears as they slept...

Perhaps the Edits would cost the number of characters added (/2, or whatever the mold price is for them) multiplied by the number of copies you have made? Or some such?

Posted on: April 07 2011 @ 12:22 AM

Content:

@CMJ: Please could you let us know whether a change in pricing structure is being considered, as requested by so many? I bet that a lot more Mementos would be made if the originals were cheaper, without such an incentive to only make things that you want to make lot of copies of.

Posted on: April 08 2011 @ 06:19 AM

Content:

Quote by: Buddleia

@CMJ: Please could you let us know whether a change in pricing structure is being considered, as requested by so many? I bet that a lot more Mementos would be made if the originals were cheaper, without such an incentive to only make things that you want to make lot of copies of.

Yes, probably soon.

Posted on: April 18 2011 @ 03:32 AM

Content:

Yes, probably soon.

I don't mean to be a pest, truly, but may I ask about the status on this, please?

Posted on: April 18 2011 @ 03:47 AM

Content:

Yes, probably soon.

I don't mean to be a pest, truly, but may I ask about the status on this, please?

Still figuring out the best strategy.

Posted on: April 18 2011 @ 05:42 AM

Content:

Still figuring out the best strategy.

Thank you. I'm glad it hasn't been forgotten.

Posted on: May 05 2011 @ 08:45 AM

Content:

What's stranger is that it apparently only shows up like that in the inventory.

I still have no idea if that blue one is the mould or a copy.

Posted on: May 05 2011 @ 05:59 PM

Content:

What's stranger is that it apparently only shows up like that in the inventory.

I still have no idea if that blue one is the mould or a copy.

Are you certain those aren't two completely different mementos? The text in the ticket is different...

Posted on: May 05 2011 @ 06:40 PM

Content:

Quote by: dizzyizzy

Are you certain those aren't two completely different mementos? The text in the ticket is different...

My point is that the text for the ticket shape was the same, but the second memento sprouted slashes on the apostrophes, and that I we still have no way to tell whether an item in our inventory is a mould or a copy.

Posted on: May 05 2011 @ 09:22 PM

Content:

I thought that the items in the backpack were always copies. The moulds are what you have options for in the momento forge in the hunter's lodge. Aren't they?

Posted on: May 07 2011 @ 11:26 PM

Content:

Quote by: dizzyizzy

My point is that the text for the ticket shape was the same, but the second memento sprouted slashes on the apostrophes, and that I we still have no way to tell whether an item in our inventory is a mould or a copy.

That should help. It seems only moulds have the slashies.

I'll add some extra confusion though. Having both the mould and the copy shown in bio removes the slashies again.

Posted on: May 15 2011 @ 05:23 AM

Content:

would it be possible for the use text and description text's character limits to be reversed? I'm constantly fighting to fit in a good description instead of half-assing it.

Posted on: May 18 2011 @ 01:04 AM

Content:

So, I finally made my first Memento. This is way too much fun. I foresee quite a bit of writing in my future, and probably donating too.

Can I confirm that names are bolded by default? I carefully wrote it as `bname`b and it came out unbolded - which suggests that I unbolded it by adding those tags.

A suggestion: in your inventory, how about a display of who your mementos are from (if known), and what (if any) attribute they give? Would that be at all easy to code? Or how about the ability for owners to add, say, a tag of 100 characters of reminder-text about this sort of thing?

Posted on: May 18 2011 @ 01:07 AM

Content:

Memento names are bolded by default, yes.

If you mean who made the memento, CMJ has said that this is relatively easy, and 'threatened' it once before when there were some troublesome mementos circulating. I would also assume that it's easy to add in something to show the attributes given, since the memento forge page does that as well...

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=22429