Subject: The Spring

Posted on: April 26 2015 @ 06:34 AM
By: Zoinks

Content:

The Spring, our newest monthly memento, is a bit of a mystery. I have no idea what this thing does. So far we know little of what it actually does besides go boooiiinngg! We have little feedback from CMJ himself, however, to quote him we know that... "It does something," it does not cause you to attack first in combat, it was coded in a few hours (possibly meaning it does something relatively simple), "It's very subtle," it doesn't give a boost to stamina, "it does its thing right from your inventory," "There are some areas where in which you may notice its effects more," and finally that CMJ is "a bad, bad man."

So far several ideas have been thrown out in Banter, but I feel we should move that to here.

So far the best idea I've heard, that seems the most likely, is that it could cause an "Easter egg" somewhere.

Replies:

Re: The Spring

Posted on: June 01 2015 @ 03:25 PM
By: Trowa

Content:

Soooooooo..... it's a red herring? (No you simpleton, Communism was just a red herring!)

Possibilities to check:

Or, CMJ could just be fuckin' with us again and that's not a clue at all, just his brand of grinning-loon humor. Smile (Sorry: humour)

Posted on: June 01 2015 @ 05:48 AM

Content:

New bit of info on The Spring! Once asked, the bad man said: http://i.imgur.com/Kc9Ie9A.png
(Also he said it's not a fighting buff)

Posted on: May 24 2015 @ 09:40 PM
By: Rohvannyc

Content:

Argh! Then what DOES it do? If it doesn't cause you to earn slightly more Favour per Cage fight on the Failboat, which is what it kind of looked like to me, than what?

Posted on: April 26 2015 @ 07:27 AM
By: JonT

Content:

Springs can be used in robots, try up near CC.

Posted on: April 26 2015 @ 10:02 AM
By: IsaacW

Content:

Now, the last time CMJ posed us a puzzle in regard to the Dancer and what his inspiration was, we found that out in a matter of... what was it again? Three hours?

How is a goddamn Spring screwing us over more than his freaking Bollywood music inspiration?!

Also, I have a feeling that it makes Robots better at traveling or something. No idea why. Maybe it's like a shoe? Put a spring on a shoe and you can walk further?

Posted on: April 26 2015 @ 10:11 AM

Content:

Quote by: IsaacW

Now, the last time CMJ posed us a puzzle in regard to the Dancer and what his inspiration was, we found that out in a matter of... what was it again? Three hours?

How is a goddamn Spring screwing us over more than his freaking Bollywood music inspiration?!

Also, I have a feeling that it makes Robots better at traveling or something. No idea why. Maybe it's like a shoe? Put a spring on a shoe and you can walk further?

Helping Robots would make sense but it wouldn't fit in at ALL with any of the other MMs, nor would it be subtle.

Thanks for the thought, though! I think we would find out faster if people were trying to help out.

Sadly, at the moment, I can't test out anything related to stamina, but I doubt it even has anything to do with stamina.

Posted on: April 26 2015 @ 12:59 PM

Content:

Weeeelllll, when you click on it, it takes you back to the top of your inventory. boooiiinngg! Razz

Posted on: April 26 2015 @ 04:34 PM
By: Shtim

Content:

It very subtly drives players insane trying to figure out what it does. Razz

Posted on: April 26 2015 @ 09:43 PM
By: CavemanJoe

Content:

Quote by: IsaacW

Maybe because I post Bollywood music videos to Banter so often I'm kinda turning you all into Bollywood fans.

I have no problem with this whatsoever. Big Grin

(EDIT: Boininininininininnnnninininininnnnngggggggg!)

Posted on: April 26 2015 @ 10:43 PM

Content:

Maybe it gives you favor with the watcher? This wouldn't be an immediately noticeable thing and it would be more noticeable on the failboat then on the mainland because you don't really see how much favor you have on the island, you have to failboat to see it. You boing it, the watcher is amused by the spring and you gain some favor. Maybe the watcher has a secret love for springs. Question Smile Big Grin Question

Posted on: April 26 2015 @ 10:44 PM

Content:

Quote by: CavemanJoe

(EDIT: Boininininininininnnnninininininnnnngggggggg!)

Some new info we also got from the bad man is that...
It does do something and lasts for 10 minutes per gameday.

It's appropriately themed.

And finally it has nothing to do with Down Below.

Posted on: April 26 2015 @ 10:46 PM

Content:

Quote by: JonT

Maybe it gives you favor with the watcher? This wouldn't be an immediately noticeable thing and it would be more noticeable on the failboat then on the mainland because you don't really see how much favor you have on the island, you have to failboat to see it. You boing it, the watcher is amused by the spring and you gain some favor. Maybe the watcher has a secret love for springs. Question Smile Big Grin Question

Possibly... I'll test it out, but it doesn't relate to our other clues, which I just posted moments ago.

Posted on: April 26 2015 @ 11:04 PM

Content:

Maybe it's a ten minute favor boost? That'd fit the 10 minute clue. And appropriately themed is a reletive and subjective term.

Posted on: April 26 2015 @ 11:22 PM

Content:

It has been discovered that using The Spring then immediately (Most likely within that 10 min. time frame) using a New Day will send you to your inventory along with the use text of the Spring up.

This may be a glitch or on purpose but it we at least know it does something now!

Posted on: April 26 2015 @ 11:36 PM

Content:

That effect only works from the map.

Posted on: April 27 2015 @ 12:52 AM

Content:

I look forward to the results!

Maybe it retains your previous day's Joker stats when you NewDay?

Posted on: April 27 2015 @ 01:34 AM
By: Moxie

Content:

Perhaps the Boinnnninininininnnng! is an announcement of a change in the weather? Y'know, 'cause it's Spring?

Posted on: April 27 2015 @ 03:14 AM
By: McDerp

Content:

After one thousand clicks.. it still goes Boinnnninininininnnng!!

Posted on: April 27 2015 @ 05:34 AM

Content:

I died, and noticed that I seemed to gain favor slightly faster when I was on the Failboat. I'm not sure if it was my imagination.

Posted on: April 27 2015 @ 12:55 PM
By: Corinne

Content:

The other day, I noticed that my inventory's weight was something like 73.999999999 kg.

But I was too involved in stabbing monsters to investigate why.

That's fairly subtle...

Posted on: April 27 2015 @ 05:33 PM
By: deathbird

Content:

In banter someone said a bunch of springs dragged them to the ID...

Posted on: April 29 2015 @ 06:57 AM

Content:

I didn't notice any change to my inventory but I did seem to notice I gained favor with the Watcher faster when I went back to the Failboat. Unfortunately I don't know how fast I normally gain favor per fight. So that's my best guess so far.

Posted on: April 29 2015 @ 08:13 AM

Content:

Quote by: Rohvannyc

I didn't notice any change to my inventory but I did seem to notice I gained favor with the Watcher faster when I went back to the Failboat. Unfortunately I don't know how fast I normally gain favor per fight. So that's my best guess so far.

Tested. It does not give favour with the Watcher.

Posted on: April 29 2015 @ 10:19 PM

Content:

It was suggested to me that The Spring may cause an encounter with a special monster in the jungle or some such. I tested this to no avail on each difficulty plenty of times.

On another note, if anyone has an idea but does not have The Spring feel free to contact me through Distracts or some such with your idea, if you do not wish to post on here, otherwise, please DO post your ideas on here.

Posted on: April 30 2015 @ 02:38 AM
By: jenkins

Content:

The subtlest possible stat change I could think of, was maybe a charisma gain? It would be near impossible to make sure if you had it, short of checking via a skronky pot visit or making a new character and purchasing a spring on it. Maybe that's it?

Posted on: May 01 2015 @ 05:45 AM

Content:

Quote by: jenkins

The subtlest possible stat change I could think of, was maybe a charisma gain? It would be near impossible to make sure if you had it, short of checking via a skronky pot visit or making a new character and purchasing a spring on it. Maybe that's it?

Tested that - went to Sheila's, saw how much she'd buy my weapon/armor for, then boinged my Sping, then found that the amount offered was the same.

Posted on: May 06 2015 @ 07:02 PM
By: lifson

Content:

Okay - I'm fighting a Titan right now.

I pinged my spring while checking my inventory, then went back to slugging away at the beast. Next time I was running low on stamina, I fired up a chronosphere, and after hitting "Get on with it", the screen it took me back to (rather than the normal travel map, where I'd left it) was my inventory with the Boinnnnnnngggggggg at the top again.

I carried on, and on the following new day - it did it again.

Posted on: May 06 2015 @ 07:22 PM

Content:

3rd chrono'd new day - still doing it.

4th chrono'd new day - still doing it.

5th chrono'd new day - still doing it.

Posted on: May 06 2015 @ 07:43 PM

Content:

And the 6th. You know what... I'm starting to think that this is what this does...

Posted on: May 06 2015 @ 07:48 PM

Content:

Quote by: lifson

And the 6th. You know what... I'm starting to think that this is what this does...

I just did this with my Pumpkin-flavoured Carrot. This isn't what the Spring does, more like a bug with the inventory system.

Posted on: August 04 2015 @ 03:30 AM

Content:

This is probably extremely irrelevant but I entered the item ID number you get when you use the item into my phone as a text and it game up as g0gag0a0

Go Gag 0A0

mean

Posted on: August 04 2015 @ 05:01 AM

Content:

Quote by: JonT

This is probably extremely irrelevant but I entered the item ID number you get when you use the item into my phone as a text and it game up as g0gag0a0

Go Gag 0A0

mean

A=1 B=2 C=3 D=4 E=5 F=6 G=7 H=8 I=9 J=10 K=11 L=12 M=13 N=14 O=15 P=16 Q=17 R=18 S=19 T=20 U=21 V=22 W=23 X=24 Y=25 Z=26

G O G A G O A O
9+15+9+1+9+15+1+15=74

Go has 2 letters. 74/2=37

Thirty seven has 11 letters.

Gag is 3 letters. 11+3=14

The face (oA0) has 1 A. 14+1=15

There are five vowels in this sequence. 15/5= 3

There are three angles, AS WELL AS sides on a triangle.

Triangle means Illuminati.

THE SPRING IS THE ILLUMINATI

Posted on: August 04 2015 @ 01:23 PM
By: Count+Sessine

Content:

Yes, Jon. It's true. Zoinks has found it out! The Spring clearly is THE ILLUMINATI.

But only for you!*

* Each item in the game has a different item number. Your own Spring just so happens to have a very interesting one.

Posted on: August 04 2015 @ 05:12 PM

Content:

Posted on: August 05 2015 @ 09:03 PM
By: Colton

Content:

I dunno if it counts as a fighting buff, but I used the Spring, and for a while I noticed I was riposting attacks more than usual. I thought it might have something to do with "bouncing back", you know? Like a spring. But yeah. If that counts as a fighting buff, then nevermind, I guess it was probably a fluke.

Posted on: October 01 2015 @ 03:52 PM

Content:

UPDATE TIME, YAY!

We still have no idea wtf the Spring does.
However, I have made a wiki page dedicated to Monthly Mementos, that will tell you what most of the others do, with some reliability. Some.
Find that here.

Also, we got a tiny tad bit more info! Sort of. Not really.

CMJ said that at...
6:33 AM 10/1/2015 GMT
Or, 6:33 AM on October 1st, 2015.

I have no clue as to what this means.

P.S. Uh. We have a new mystery Memento. The Halloween Egg.

Posted on: October 19 2015 @ 03:52 AM
By: Sammi

Content:

It may not be germane, but everyone is ignoring another use of the word "spring" - a fresh water source.

Posted on: March 03 2016 @ 06:59 AM

Content:

Okay so I'm not really being hyper about this but I guess we have new info?

It was suggested in Banter when we were discussing how much we detest the secrecy of this Memento that it might relate to the Rook Trader mini-game.
I tested once and found no proof it doing anything. But that was one test and that was way too small a sample size to be sure, but still.

This suggestion was due to the fact that the month before the Spring was the Monthly Memento, the Rook Trader was created. You can draw the logic bridges from there.

Quote by: Sammi

It may not be germane, but everyone is ignoring another use of the word "spring" - a fresh water source.

Only relation to the game relating to a "spring," as in water, I can think of is the Cool Springs Cafe in Kittania. I tried using it and heading in and didn't really notice anything. But I'm currently playing a Robot and they can't eat anything so maybe someone who actually reads this could test it that's not a Robot?

Posted on: March 03 2016 @ 01:22 PM
By: Lea.wolfsfeld

Content:

Tested the spring in Cool Springs. It doesn't make new springs appear, nor does it make the springwater available. Have tested it with white spring water. No change yet.

Posted on: March 03 2016 @ 06:42 PM

Content:

Whhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Re: The SUPER Spring

Posted on: March 03 2016 @ 07:07 PM

Content:

This is all that was said by the bad bad man about this thing.

Posted on: March 03 2016 @ 07:51 PM

Content:

I am a bad, bad man.

Re: The SUPER Spring

Posted on: March 03 2016 @ 08:43 PM

Content:

I am a bad, bad man.

Who won't even take bribes...

Anyways.
CMJ here did come in to chat about it with us a bit. I, at this current moment, am a little busy. Else I would be testing the Spring frantically.
But, what he said, in a nutshell, was that it works once a day.
Like most other Mementos.
He didn't specify this specifically today, but IIRC, it was said that it lasts for a sliver of time after the use.
This is unlike any other Mementos.
It may just be that its effects are only visible on one page, however, which wouldn't be abnormal.
I don't know. We'll see.

Another piece of news is that someone a while back actually emailed CMJ with what they found was the effects of the Spring. They got it right.
This person is currently unknown and wishes to leave it a secret.
I'd like to address to this person that I don't hold this against you.
I, personally, would not do the same, but that's just because I'm me.
I hope, soon enough, we can discover what this thing does so you don't have to hide out with your secret for long and we can talk and be friends anD WTF DOES THIS THIGN DO ABHFBJAKFJSHHGA

Ehem. Sorry.
Yeah, no. It's fine. I applaud you on your observance... abilities... Yeah. Good job.
I'm gonna be testing like crazy soon enough. With this dang SPRING 2.0 I'll be able to test even more, yada yada yada. We'll see what happens.

Happy hunting and good luck, everyone!

Edit: P.S. I'll also plan on doing, like, this whole write up about what we do and don't know to deduce what it actually does. I'll post that here too. It'll be, like, some sort of summary.

Posted on: March 03 2016 @ 09:19 PM
By: Widdershins

Content:

I am a bad, bad man.

You are a broke, broke man. And will remain so. At least you won't get any money from me, because I hate to buy the cat in the bag. (<- My sorry attempt at financial bribery.)
I hate to use Improbabilitby Bombs, too, because I don't know what I'll get - my whole mindset is probably mismatched to Improbable Island Wink

A thought:
If you re-use the idea of an older memento, what about making the older memento available for $6 and the newer, more powerful one for $12?
Could be an incentive to donate for those that can't spare $10, and an incentive to spend even more on an upgrade ...... or an incenive to donate less than sparable $10, you'll need to estimate which is better for II's finances.

Posted on: March 03 2016 @ 09:51 PM

Content:

Quote by: Widdershins

I am a bad, bad man.

You are a broke, broke man. And will remain so. At least you won't get any money from me, because I hate to buy the cat in the bag. (<- My sorry attempt at financial bribery.)

Hey... that's cutting a little too close to the bone to be funny, y'know.

I can tell you this much - the Super Spring does go Boinnnnininininininininininininnnnnnnnggggg! very impressively every time you use it. Much more so than last year's version! Way I look at it is, I'm going to be contributing to the Island anyway, doing my bit to keep CMJ from being so broke he can't keep the place running any more. A monthly memento, to me, is a Thank You, and a collectible. This one made me laugh. And it does something else mysterious... bonus!

(I don't use Improbability Bombs in combat either. I sell them. The people who buy them? I think they're mostly working on their Charm.)

Re: SPRING THEORY

Posted on: March 04 2016 @ 07:46 AM

Content:

Let's scientific method this bitch, eh?

Step one: ASK A QUESTION.
What does the Spring do?

Step two: DO BACKGROUND RESEARCH.
Here is a compilation of all the ambiguous information given to us by CMJ:
- It does SOMETHING.
- SOMETHING is very SUBTLE.
- It "does its thing right from your inventory."
- "There are some areas where its effects are more noticeable."
- It is "Appropriately themed."
- (There was something about timing that CMJ said. I'm not certain on how to even word it. Just go to page 2 of this post and look for it.)

Here is all the information we KNOW. Whether it be due to testing or CMJ simply stating this is how it is or a simple conclusion one came to:
- It does not cause one to attack first.
- It was coded in a short amount of time.
- It does not boost stamina.
- Usable ONCE PER DAY.
- LASTS 10 MINS.
- It has nothing to do with Down Below.
- Using it a lot of times does not change the "boing" use text.
- It does not give one favour.
- It does not affect charm.
- It is not a fighting buff.

Step three: CONSTRUCT A HYPOTHESIS.
I believe that the Spring does something other than annoy the hell out of me.

Step four: TEST.
Okay. Guess I have to do this, now. Will be back with more later.

Posted on: March 04 2016 @ 05:16 PM

Content:

Quote by: Zoinks

This is all that was said by the bad bad man about this thing.

Observant, the man said. There are so many aspects of the game to observe! Perhaps a list would help?

Posted on: March 04 2016 @ 05:20 PM

Content:

Quote by: Widdershins

It would also seem that not everyone agrees with your sentiments, since I just noticed the donation bar is at blue for the first time in a long time that I can recall, and the Island is littered with crates! Perhaps everyone is instead trying to see who will be the first second to solve the riddle? (Or I'm just unobservant!)

Re: SPRING THEORY

Posted on: March 04 2016 @ 09:12 PM

Content:

From what we know about it so far, the Spring's effects seem to be an outlier from the others.
No other MM lasts an amount of time.
No other MM really... has anything to DO with time.
They're all pretty simple do this then this happens, or like... a buff. Super simple stuff.
I'm really at a loss. I don't know how to even go about testing to find what it does.

Next, though, I'm gonna do what Sessine suggested and just... list all possible things one can observe. This'll be fun...

Posted on: March 05 2016 @ 04:55 AM

Content:

CMJ Edit: SPOILERS BELOW

The Spring makes the weather Hot and Humid.
I'll post proof in a sec...

Posted on: March 05 2016 @ 04:59 AM

Content:

Before use:

(That's a tiny bit of a picture of the NewDay page.)

After using the Super Spring:

(I noticed the change immediately, was just a little late on taking the pic.)

Lea tested, got the same thing. Could more people test to be sure, please?

Also, this would explain the whole "Lasting amount of time" thing I was hung up on. Yay.

Posted on: March 05 2016 @ 05:07 AM

Content:

I am a bad, bad man.

DID I GET IT RIGHT?!?!?!

Posted on: March 05 2016 @ 05:18 AM

Content:

TOOK Y'ALL FRIGGIN' LONG ENOUGH

CONGRATULATION A WINNER IS YOU

Posted on: March 05 2016 @ 05:24 AM

Content:

Oh my god what is this feeling. I can breathe normally again?

Posted on: March 05 2016 @ 05:34 AM

Content:

Quote by: Zoinks

Oh my god what is this feeling. I can breathe normally again?

YES THAT IS PERMITTED

Re: The Hyper Spring

Posted on: April 03 2017 @ 02:33 PM

Content:

Spring Log - 2017.
Day 3 in to April.
The Monthly Memento is a Hyper Spring, similar in concept to a Hyper Cube, except REAL.
Interacting with the Hyper Spring results in it having a baby Spring.
I have so many Springs now. So many Springs. It does not seem to show any signs that it will ever stop.
So many Springs. Please. Send help.

Boinnnnininininininininininininnnnnnnninnnnininininininininininininnnnnnnninnnnininininininininininininnnnnnnninnnnininininininininininininnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggg

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=33048