Subject: Dwellings

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 04:49 PM
By: CavemanJoe

Content:

Okay, so I've decided to put Dwellings higher up on my priority list.

Here are some of my thoughts:

Problems:
Dwellings in their S1 state don't really make sense for S2.
PvP options are no longer relevant.
Having Dwellings stick around after player expiration meant a lot of abandoned Dwellings.
Pages were too long in the residential areas, and there wasn't a good sense of it being a physical space (perhaps streets could be involved?)
Allowing to store Req between DK's was unbalancing.
Dwellings are not set up for Stamina system interaction.

Thoughts:
Dwellings are used for RP, and little else. As a gameplay element, they're underutilized.
Dwellings may tie into IItems somehow.

Ideas:
Dwellings on World Map spaces?
Portable Dwellings, such as tents? (take your tent with you, use the Cooking action with a buff to simulate setting up a campfire, then folks can come and chat)
Dwellings cost Donator Points?

What do you guys think we should do with Dwellings?

Replies:

Re: Dwellings

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 05:23 PM
By: Bernard

Content:

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Okay, so I've decided to put Dwellings higher up on my priority list.

Here are some of my thoughts:

Problems:
Dwellings in their S1 state don't really make sense for S2.
PvP options are no longer relevant.
Having Dwellings stick around after player expiration meant a lot of abandoned Dwellings.
Pages were too long in the residential areas, and there wasn't a good sense of it being a physical space (perhaps streets could be involved?)
Allowing to store Req between DK's was unbalancing.
Dwellings are not set up for Stamina system interaction.

Thoughts:
Dwellings are used for RP, and little else. As a gameplay element, they're underutilized.
Dwellings may tie into IItems somehow.

Ideas:
Dwellings on World Map spaces?
Portable Dwellings, such as tents? (take your tent with you, use the Cooking action with a buff to simulate setting up a campfire, then folks can come and chat)
Dwellings cost Donator Points?

What do you guys think we should do with Dwellings?

Dan, I would like anywhere I can chat. I love the idea of setting up a Bedouin campsite/ scout camp out in the desert/ mountains and having chums come by, and your idea of portable sw..dwelling works beautifully.

However, to your thoughts I shall add: Dwellings are also used to boost ego. I know I felt like a million dollar ($5) when I bought my first mansion. I would love another. I would love to be able to blow my DP/ Cigs/ Money to make it gorgeous, with other chat spaces (rooms), a kitchen (so I could improve my skills), a shed... Do you get where I'm going with this? A dwelling - much like a clan room - should allow you to improve your skills. With the new improved Island, and with more skills to improve, dwellings should tie into these.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 06:01 PM
By: SicPuess

Content:

I like the idea of dwellings on the map, be they temporary or permanent. In lieu of req and cigs, it could be possible to keep some items there. Just think, in the middle of the nowhere between Pleasantville and Kittania, a shack with three medkits in it - saved. (I am aware of the unbalancing properties this could have if clans decide to build chains of shacks between outposts - for example, PV and CC. Or the DK-impervious storage. Maybe racoons could fix this.)

On the travel screens, only the option [Search for hidden shacks] or something could be present, to avoid massive DB calls on the highly frequented paths.

Maybe if near river tiles, with scrap you could build a tiny hydroelectric power plant, with more scrap, a fridge to store meat in or other devices that can be powered with fancy electricity.

Another maybe: Make dwellings require attention, have things happening like a roofing tile breaking, things that have to be fixed in order to keep it inhabitable - they would just rot away otherwise (fixes also the problem with abundant numbers of abandoned dwellings.). Different materials: plastic foil, wood, stone&mortar, steel. Options to tear down a wall and expand, making the shack an annex to a bigger cottage. This could be made very very complex.

I'm a little partial to rooms - as Bernard proposes them, fine, but as mere RP rooms - it's rare enough that more than, say, three characters are in one. An idea would be, to be passed along with keys, some kind of communication device. I have the bad habit to wander out and do some jungle fights if nothing is happening for a while in any given chatspace - even more so since I'm able to buy my way off the Boat.

Okay, I am done with my mouthfull of ideas and thoughts that came oh-so-rapidly down my pharynx and wanted out.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 06:05 PM
By: Stanlygirl

Content:

Dan, I could live with any or all of your ideas. It would be nice if dwellings could be in outposts as well as on any other World Map space. I could have my town home, my mountain chalet, a country cottage and a beach shack. I could travel with a caravan or a tent and invite strangers to join me at my campfire. Yes!

I would like it if some type or types of dwelling would still have keys. That way the dwelling is a semi-private place to role-play with friends that are not in your clan. The keys would use up extra dps and/or req quite nicely, as well.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 06:18 PM

Content:

I'd enjoy an option to, well, leave the door to a mansion open. That way, at least the Main room could be entered by anybody for the time of a party/wedding, while other rooms still are locked (For example, Main room: open, winter garden: open, bedroom: locked, kitchen: locked.) but still be private [LOCK ALL] at all other times.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 06:24 PM

Content:

Another item on my wish list would be a 'clear dialog' command, so my meeting with my mistress on Wednesday would not show up when I host her wedding reception on Friday. Oops! At lease, it would only show up on purpose. Twisted Evil

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 06:29 PM
By: Jade+XXIV

Content:

I agree with Bernard about liking the idea of the portable campsites and the fact that sometimes you just want a mansion because you've worked hard enough that you can afford one. Tying a way to level skills in a kitchen, etc. would also be great.

Here's my thought though, depending on the size of your dwelling (shack, cottage, mansion) you get more stam for resting in it each night. The more posh your surroundings, the more comfort it provides, resulting in a good night's sleep.

I'll also mention that I like the upgradable spaces and let's go with Sicpuess' idea of being able to determine which parts can be public in your mansion rooms. This would be pretty useful for exactly the examples that he cited.

Oh and please don't make basic dwellings cost DP - upgrades such as additional rooms, yes. But basic should be something you can just work on in the game - req and cigs.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 06:36 PM
By: Tor+NaGoth

Content:

I'm seeing lots of good ideas here.. I like the idea of a tent as an iItem, Let's you set up a temp chat space anywhere on the world map, and gives a bonus 5% stam if you rest there over a newday.

more permanent dwellings can cost cigs and req, much like the old system with a similar over night bonus, say 5% for shack, 10% for Cottage, 15% for Mansion

it would be nice if you could improve them so they help build skill levels, too
add a kitchen, and get 500 cooking exp per night
add a private room and get a lockable chatspace
add a home theater and get free specials in that space

these improvements can cost req, cigs, dp, or all three as you feel appropriate.

one other note..., if you sleep in someone elses dwelling and they kick you out, you LOSE 5% stam for the following day..

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 06:45 PM
By: Jade+XXIV

Content:

Quote by: Tor+NaGoth

more permanent dwellings can cost cigs and req, much like the old system with a similar over night bonus, say 5% for shack, 10% for Cottage, 15% for Mansion

one other note..., if you sleep in someone elses dwelling and they kick you out, you LOSE 5% stam for the following day..

This is exactly what I meant...but with numbers. Thanks, Tor.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 06:59 PM

Content:

Since I already mentioned scrap earlier: Sure, you could buy building materials for 10k req from the Council. But of course, you could also tell your Scrapbots to acquire materials. (IE, a lock, 50 planks, nails)

You could also include a garage for shielding some bots from getting attacked. Heck, upgrade it with a weapons turrent or a Scrapbot gunner and it could make a little req for you while you sleep, protecting itself from [Improbable Event] Burglars or monsters that tear down a wall which you're going to have to rebuild, not to speak of the stamina loss for that night.

Tor - I see a little problem with the tents as IItems, being that they vanish over DKs. Since they're likely to be somewhat expensive, it'll be only possible to buy, set up and party in one in the higher levels. What if you DK whilst in a two-day party? Would it go away? If not, then that's bypassing the Items system because you could sell it back - and the thought of a tent as a one-shot item just doesn't seem right.

EXCEPT, of course, if tents are of the same questionable origin as the Magical Mystery Meat Mount, I could see them as - cheaper - one-shot items that are to be set up in a place, and rot away after three RL days or after you kick it over and bury it. It wouldn't be possible to disassemble it and store it away for later usage/selling after DKs, like one would expect from a normal tent.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 08:10 PM

Content:

re : tents as IItems, : good point Sic. I was thinking in terms of a one shot item.. having a 2 or three realday limit instead of a dk based one sounds like a good idea
Perhaps even with the option of using another tent to extend the duration.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 08:12 PM

Content:

@Sic:

Living Tents are an excellent idea. You could run into live ones and capture them as you roam around the map, and keep them in your Inventory for later. And they could shiver in ecstasy whenever they've got someone inside them.

It's so wrong, it's right.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 08:43 PM

Content:

@Sic:

Living Tents are an excellent idea. You could run into live ones and capture them as you roam around the map, and keep them in your Inventory for later. And they could shiver in ecstasy whenever they've got someone inside them.

Just so they don't get all wet inside over it. Wink

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 08:46 PM
By: Symar

Content:

I'd like to second the notions of additional lockable rooms, bonus stamina for sleeping in your dwelling, and tents.
Especially your perverted, shivering tents.

As far as a kitchen goes, how about just cheaper cooking costs while in the kitchen? Like, a -30% buff or something.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 08:49 PM

Content:

Quote by: Stanlygirl

@Sic:

... I'm thinking of the records in how many people fit in a telephone booth right now. Modified to a How Many Mutants Fit In The Tent game, the mental image is frankly disturbing.

(And, it occured to me right now, there are items that stay over DKs. Remember the Museum Quest? eBoy would just have to refuse buying them, and game balances stay untouched.)

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 08:56 PM

Content:

Okay, I'm tinkering with Tents on my local test server. Here are some comments from the file:

PHP Formatted Code
//We want to let the players add a new chat area to the Map.
//Player will be able to buy Tents and Tent Food in the Hunter's Lodge.  Cost will be 50dp for a Tent, and 2dp for a portion of Tent Food big enough to feed the tent for one game day.
//Tents are IItems.  Player buys a Tent, then positions it on the Map themselves.
//Wild Tents will be spawned in a random Map location once per game day, and Tent Food added to IItem Crates, so those without DP's still have a chance.
//Capturing a wild Tent places a Tent IItem into the player's IItems array, for them to place themselves.
//Make sure player has a Tent iitem to add, and that there isn't another Tent nearby.  They will fight.
//Make sure they're not trying to set up a Tent on water.  Tents cannot swim.
//Tents cannot be private, as of yet.  Possible future functionality: teach your Tent to recognize faces and only let in those who are invited, in return for additional DP's.  For now, just get the basic module done.
//Sleeping in a Tent offers a mild Stamina boost for the next day.
//Entries in a Tent array:
//Life - starts at 10, and decreases by one each game day.  If this value gets to 0, the Tent dies and the chatspace is deleted.  Anyone can feed a Tent, using Tent Food, which raises this number by 1 for every portion of Tent Food fed to the Tent.
//Owner - who placed the Tent?
//x and y map co-ords

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 09:00 PM

Content:

Roleplaying-wise, we can still do fortresses, amusement parks, et cetera - I'll put in some flavour text mentioning that since Tents are in fact Improbable creatures in their own rights, their insides are naturally larger than their outsides, and can contain whole separate dimensions. Like a Tardis, only, y'know, wonderfully fucked-up in a way that only Improbable Island can manage. Smile

Perhaps later on we can add extra functionality to Tents, various features that will unlock with their age.

(I'm fond of the "anyone can feed a Tent" thing - means it doesn't get expensive for one player to upkeep, and the best Tents will stick around longest)

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 09:01 PM
By: Zolotisty

Content:

Quote by: SicPuess

Quote by: Stanlygirl

@Sic:

... I'm thinking of the records in how many people fit in a telephone booth right now. Modified to a How Many Mutants Fit In The Tent game, the mental image is frankly disturbing.

If the living tent is composed of something sort of comparable to intestines and has a soft vellum-y exterior, we are running dangerously close to having giant wriggling historical condom-tents on the map. Or massive lovely sausages for the Panthzers to mistake for a prepared meal in the case of a multi-mutant tent.

Can't say I disapprove. Wink

I really like the idea of:

- additional rooms in a dwelling. Whether this is a kitchen to work on my cooking, a shed to work on my (eventual) soldering and whatnot, or buyable rooms for extra chatspaces.
- graded stamina boosts from nicer homes.
- a building that you have to MAINTAIN continuously.
- harvesting materials to make your place awesome. Huge dwellings will be harder to maintain, small dwellings would be easier.. but if you're building from non-durable materials, you're going to have to work even harder to keep up with it.
- making the 'Local Dwellings' feel more like a physical space. Can we jockey for real estate?
- co-op work -- if you're married to someone, you should be able to work with them on a dwelling. This makes the marriage bit more tangible and worth the 100k price tag.
- Living Tents.

I suggest tying Improbable Events into dwellings. Maybe an awesome tree that grows [some good thing] sprouts spontaneously in your garden; maybe you come home one day and all your shit has been ransacked and now you have a quest to go kill THIEVING MIDGET BANDITS; maybe people can eventually start businesses in the form of apartments or tenements or something..

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 09:43 PM

Content:

Okay. More refinement. I'm just typing this as it comes to me, so forgive mistakes and so forth.

TENTS
As a Tent grows in maturity, its outward appearance does not change. Its interior, however, develops the capability to become larger along a theoretical N-axis (or should that be an I-Axis? Wink ). The upshot of this in gameplay terms is that a Tent's insides can become larger while its outsides remain the same size. And, of course, its insides can become more Improbable. Naturally, larger/more Improbable tents will require more Tent Food (we need a better name - how about "Glop?").

Bear in mind that all numbers quoted are subject to balancing and tinkering when I say "Here's roughly how I see an admin screen working, from a tent-owner's perspective":

Current Tent Age: 51 Days
Current Population Support: 8 players
Current Glop requirements: 2 cans / day

Options:
Change Interior Description (+1 can of Glop / Day)
Increase Population Support (+2 Glop / Day = +5 Players)
Train Tent for Allowed Player / Clan list (+1 Glop)
Add Healer (+2 Glop) (LOCKED - need 100 days)
Add Training function (+2 Glop) (LOCKED - need 100 days)
Add Improbable Event support (+1 Glop) (LOCKED - need 100 days)
Add second Chat Area with Description (+2 Glop) (LOCKED - need 200 days)
Add third Chat Area with Description (+2 Glop) (LOCKED - need 400 days)

Auxiliary Chat Areas could fulfil the functions of Rooms or even Streets, given that the Tent owner can modify the description. We'll stick a module hook in there so we can add more functionality later on.

Thoughts?

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 09:53 PM

Content:

Alright -- I really like the direction Tents are taking now; no complaints -- but, to clarify..

*strokes chin* These would totally take the place of a dwelling-dwelling? No more opportunity for people to build in Outposts anymore, no residential district?

Can we name our tents?

EDIT: Where does Glop come from, how do I get it, is it a Monster Drop, can I harvest it from the riverbanks outside of SquatHole.. etc.!

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:02 PM
By: K.K.+Victoria

Content:

I am not a fan of taking tents over a mansion, to be perfectly blunt.

Characters that enjoy lavish and large will not be satisfied with having a tent, no matter how big it gets.

Totally up for the added feature, but I really would like to keep the ability to have an actual, standing dwelling. Something that, you know, wasn't so very very odd and strange. It's good to have a little bit normalcy here and there, no?

I like the direction it is going, and it'll lead to having some pretty cool features with what Roleplayers can do, but I really don't like the idea of giving up dwellings for it.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:02 PM

Content:

If Glop is to be acquired by means other than spending DP, I propose a Housekeeping Skill.

JUST BECAUSE.

Annnd... I'd rather keep the outpost dwellings. Tents for the map, shacks for the towns. A housekeeping skill would make more sense then, also. Cheaper upkeep.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:04 PM
By: Yrk

Content:

@Sic:

YES!

Also, i love the idea of upgradeable tents, that everyone can pitch in on. Natrually a better tent needs to feed more and it more prone to damage and attacks.
Im thinking speciall tent-improbable events that happens on each new fixed game day(and possibly minor tent events that can happen to saved new days too), stuff like; "During the night a ghastly wolf pack was spotted circling the tent. Fortunally tents have very good survival instingcts and it fled the scene before any harm was done" and everyone in the tent, and the tent itself, will be a a new random location or possibly it could fail to run leaving both the tent and everyone in damaged and possibly will a loss of stamina.

Another neat thing would be if you forget to feed your tent, there's a small chance that it will feed on you while you sleep leaving the player severely damaged/killed while the tent recovers a little/some/all health.

Last thoughts, upgradeable sleeping quarters, call them puffy bladders, soft cysts or smooth tomours (or not), maybe it will work like the stamina skills the more people sleep in the tent the more efficient it gets or maybe you gotta pay to upgrade it or possibly having the tent upgrade itself after just existing for a period of time. Bottom line is that you will get more stamina at the start of each day. Depending on the size of the stamina boost the tent would get a higher upkeep cost, possibly let it be an infinitly big stamina bost but make it so that if you wanna get an extra 50% it'll be some 500 DP per day for the tent?

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:07 PM

Content:

Quote by: Zolotisty

Alright -- I really like the direction Tents are taking now; no complaints -- but, to clarify..

*strokes chin* These would totally take the place of a dwelling-dwelling? No more opportunity for people to build in Outposts anymore, no residential district?

I'm leaning more towards that idea, yes. Of course, this idea is only a baby, yet - just hours old. It's still all squishy and malleable.

Can we name our tents?

If we eventually end up having multiple tents in one Map square, we're kinda gonna have to.

EDIT: Where does Glop come from, how do I get it, is it a Monster Drop, can I harvest it from the riverbanks outside of SquatHole.. etc.![/p]

I would imagine that Glop would be primarily a DP purchase.
The World Map is quite a resource-heavy module. Hooking into it with a big thing like this will make it even moreso. So, this module will pay for the server upgrade it'll inevitably require. Razz Pleasantly, it'll do it in a way that'll increase the amount of money available as the amount of required resources increases.
Oh, I'm sure there could be Other Ways of getting Glop - IItem crates spring immediately to mind, and perhaps (once I get the Combine function sorted in IItems) we could have the player mix up a bucket of Glop using a whole load of Crap Meat and a broken-open Power Pill, or something like that. I do intend for it to be something that non-donating players can enjoy, but I'm gonna make it much easier on donating/recruiting players. Wink

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:12 PM
By: Skidge

Content:

Okay, first and foremost, man tents sound awesome.

Secondly: I have a very, very one-track mind, so please keep in mind when I throw my support wholeheartedly into keeping outpost Dwellings that my ENTIRE POINT IN DOING SO is because I WANT A PUBLIC LIBRARY.

Well, and the Baricade back. But that's neither here nor there.

I want a Library and if I have to build it myself, I will do so. On that count, IS THERE ANY CHANCE that Dwellings can be, ah, programmable?

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:13 PM
By: lelila

Content:

I'm really liking the idea of tents... but, we still need our shacks and cottages and mansions, too! We're talking tents in-addition, and not tents completely-instead-of, right? Dwellings are so important to so many role-players...

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:15 PM

Content:

Alright -- primary thought if the Glop is mostly DP based.. that's fine and will encourage a frenzy of donating from the core players, and it will also encourage people to make friends so that they can mooch off of other folks' tents, but I think in addition to this, we should have some sort of Dwelling-system that maintains SOME presence in the Outposts so that people who are either non-sociable hermits or people who would pay you if they could but really just can't afford to can have some sort of Dwelling-y roof over their heads. Or people who can't log on often enough to keep up with their tent but would like a Place for their character to say, 'hey that is my home.'

Or for people who end up specializing in Jungle-fighting and so don't wander around the map.

Do not totally scrap Dwellings. There is a certain appeal to having a, you know, non-living house to be in, instead of this wonderfully monstrous tent-thing. (do they have eyes. ohgod, do they have eyes. can i play fetch with my tent. will it greet me eagerly if i leave it alone for too long.)

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:17 PM

Content:

I have two things to say-- Loving tents more and more, and PLEASE let us have dwellings, too,
perhaps you could even tie in the same module for use in the Locals area of cities.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:19 PM

Content:

Y'see, I'm seeing Tents as an automatically-evolving Dwelling, that starts off being like a Shack, then grows through Cottage to Mansion and beyond. A Tent that was mature enough could be a Mansion, y'see.

I think that removing the distinction would open up new RP possibilities - rather than having folks constrained to Cottages, Mansions or Shacks, a structure with a canonically-approved, living, breathing Deus Ex Machina at its heart could be anything. Library, movie theater, whatever you want. Just stick it in the various description fields, and off you go. Smile

That's my viewpoint - and like I say, it ain't set in stone, this idea is still very much a squishy one so please feel free to try to change it. Wink

Oh BTW Skidge, an actually-programmed Library is on my to-do list.

EDIT: That is to say, we could make it so that a Tent with a high enough Maturity could actually grow a structure around it. It may be that your sixty-bedroom Mansion made of stone and brick was conjured up by the tiny little Tent that one day put its roots down in the Mansion's basement.

Oh, and Zolo - yes, of course they have eyes! It's funnier that way. Razz

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:21 PM

Content:

Right, the ability to paint over it appeals.

However, I don't want to deal with feeding a normal house with Donator points. Nor do I really like the thought of maintaining. There's a point where Realism is just... Bothersome, you know? Ever play Flashpoint elite? Sure, realistic. Forty minutes radio chatter, three minutes gunfight. Mission accomplished. Is boring, and I didn't like it. Even though it was realistic as Hell.

Gathering materials, yes. Totally up for mining stone and whatnot to customize a house, but to have to deal with upkeep and that? That just sounds down right annoying, to be perfectly honest.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:21 PM
By: Beeker

Content:

Hmmmmm...

why not huts with chicken legs, Baba Yaga style?

Somehow that makes them seem more like things I might need to feed. Chicken feed, and all.

I can understand the need for more cool things to do with Donor Points, to attract more donors, though I would suggest that the initial outlay be in DP's (something relatively high, 1000 DP?) and the upkeep be in something harvestable in game. This will also mean that dwellings owned by players who leave will fade and disappear (or walk off, Baba Yaga style). Oh, upgrades would also be in DP's, I would think.

Maybe also, every once in a while your hut gets up and walks off, and you enlist the aid of your friends to help you find it. Once found you can tell it to go back home.

This has been a somewhat brainstormy and disjointed message by Beeker, who didn't get enough sleep last night.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:22 PM
By: Kuroiten

Content:

An interesting point I thought of on reading this topic...if the Tents are living beings, what's to stop them from wandering around while you sleep? You could fall asleep just north of Squat Hole and wake up to the east of AceHigh if your Tent was particularly bored, if they were so inclined.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:23 PM
By: Rosin

Content:

Right, I'm warming to the idea of tents. However, like others, I reeeeeeally hope we can still have some sort of city dwellings still.

Making tents cost DPs makes sense, seeing as they could be moved about the map, but I think it'd be a bit unfair to lock out dwellings to those who don't have any points.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:24 PM

Content:

*goggles*

*totally loses the train of conversation*

Really? REALLY?! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

JOE I WAS GOING TO LEARN ME SOME PHP JUST SO I COULD BUILD A LIBRARY AND BLOODY WELL GIVE IT TO YOU.

*gets back onto the tracks of the actual conversation*

Ahem. Can we make it possible, assuming that the Cooking skill gets more interesting, to cook meals for other people in Dwellings?

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:25 PM

Content:

Ooooh, I like the idea of wandering tents. Leave yours alone for too long, and you have to go track it down. Forget to lock it, and somebody can steal it.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:27 PM

Content:

As a Tent grows in maturity, its outward appearance does not change.

People are going to keep balking at this, I think, no matter how Harry Potter magicky cool they get on the inside. If you do the exciting gross-out text as I expect you will.. then it doesn't matter, really, if you're coming home to the Taj Mahal if you have to step through a quivering flap of subtly excreting tissue which thrills under your touch and pulses with anticipation of its next batch o' Glop. That is still a terrifying living thing that you're making a home in, especially when people will go, 'UM, UM, CAN I.. CAN I HAVE SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T BREATHE WHILE I TRY TO SLEEP. CAN I HAVE.. ..CAN I HAVE WINDOWS.. ...GLASS ONES.. NOT CHITINOUS SEMI-TRANSPARENT EYE-LENSES?'

Trainable, levelable Dwelling? AWESOME. Only option? Lesss awesomeee.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:29 PM

Content:

Seconded.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:30 PM

Content:

Hmm. Wandering Tents could be troublesome - it's thematically interesting, sure, but say you logged off, logged back on to continue a conversation, and your bloody chatspace had buggered off somewhere over the system-newday?

I personally think that sounds hilarious, but then, if it actually happened to me, I'd be kinda miffed. Razz

(the way I see it happening, a Tent would put down roots and stay in one place, once it'd been set there)
(perhaps wandering chatspaces as a different form of Tent?)

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:30 PM

Content:

As a Tent grows in maturity, its outward appearance does not change.

People are going to keep balking at this, I think, no matter how Harry Potter magicky cool they get on the inside. If you do the exciting gross-out text as I expect you will.. then it doesn't matter, really, if you're coming home to the Taj Mahal if you have to step through a quivering flap of subtly excreting tissue which thrills under your touch and pulses with anticipation of its next batch o' Glop. That is still a terrifying living thing that you're making a home in, especially when people will go, 'UM, UM, CAN I.. CAN I HAVE SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T BREATHE WHILE I TRY TO SLEEP. CAN I HAVE.. ..CAN I HAVE WINDOWS.. ...GLASS ONES.. NOT CHITINOUS SEMI-TRANSPARENT EYE-LENSES?'

Agree wholly. The walls can be intestines, but you can be damned sure I'm painting right over them.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:33 PM

Content:

Wandering Tent = EntTent?

Also, fourthing Zolotisty.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:33 PM

Content:

Well, you'd have to leave it alone for a WHILE; say, a week or so. Leave it alone for a month, and someone else could claim it.

Edited: Ooooh...never mind on the "claim it".

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:34 PM

Content:

Quote by: Skidge

Well, you'd have to leave it alone for a WHILE; say, a week or so. Leave it alone for a month, and someone else could claim it.

Claiming something that costs DP? No, absolutely not. If I have to pay DP for something, ain't no one taking it.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:35 PM

Content:

Yeah, having chitinous windows would be fancy and all, but I'd really rather believe I wasn't sleeping inside of something that was a sin against god and nature. Especially since I can say the inside is just a giant grassy field with actual sky instead of some quivering layer of flesh.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:38 PM

Content:

How's this.. what if, after your Tent had gone through all of its growth stages.. it dies and leaves a husk. This husk would then be a remodel-able exterior, yeah?

Edit: This way, everyone wins. Also, you can weep as you chip away exterior layers of your beloved Tent to replace its veins with mortar and stone.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:40 PM

Content:

How's this.. what if, after your Tent had gone through all of its growth stages.. it dies and leaves a husk. This husk would then be a remodel-able exterior, yeah?

Edit: This way, everyone wins. Also, you can weep as you chip away exterior layers of your beloved Tent to replace its veins with mortar and stone.

Fancy idea. Then you don't have to keep feeding it, either.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:41 PM

Content:

What if you could plop down a tent in-town? Perhaps in a glop-field, so it'd cost less glop to maintain, but you're restricted by being able to only put it in a town.
That could satisfy the town-dweller arguement, maybe?

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:41 PM

Content:

Quote by: Rosin

I'm thinking you'd still have to manage up-keep somehow.. some ether to keep the SOUL OF THE TENT haunting your building so that it would not improbably crumble away to dust; but you'd keep all of your upgrades otherwise, and still be able to upgrade its GHOST POWER.

Or something.

I don't know.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:42 PM

Content:

I'm thinking you'd still have to manage up-keep somehow.. some ether to keep the SOUL OF THE TENT haunting your building so that it would not improbably crumble away to dust; but you'd keep all of your upgrades otherwise, and still be able to upgrade its GHOST POWER.

Or something.

I don't know.

In all honesty? I think these two things need to be separated entirely. Tents are a great idea. I love dwellings. Keep them apart, I don't want some weird hybrid mutant taking the place of my Compound.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:43 PM

Content:

TENT SOULS. They'd haunt your dreams if you slept outside their once pulsating walls.

Or, you know, whatever.

Edit:

KK has a damned good point. While tents would be special things you could use to put yourself on the map (bad pun intended) you should still be able to have actual city dwellings. Not as magical and upgradeable as the tent probably, but still.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:44 PM

Content:

Quote by: K.K.+Victoria

In all honesty? I think these two things need to be separated entirely. Tents are a great idea. I love dwellings. Keep them apart, I don't want some weird hybrid mutant taking the place of my Compound.

SECONDED. Very, very seconded.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:48 PM

Content:

Thirding KK. I want my Baricade to be a standing dwelling, not a tent-thing. I'm happy with tents as an addition, but not so much as a replacement.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:50 PM

Content:

Okay, so assuming that Dwellings and Tents are to be kept separate, that brings us back to our original question:

Dwellings as they stand now are a bit pants. How can we make them more S2-Appropriate in a way that won't take me bloody forever, and will still keep Tents as the more-awesome option?

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:53 PM

Content:

OK -- what's fast for you to code, now? What do we have in the toolkit? Chiefly, what would be enjoyable for you to code? These are tricky questions but the primary requests for dwellings come down to: make them neat to build, let people have more rooms, let people do stamina-related things in them, let people store limited meat and maybe an iitem. How fast is it for you to whack together an iimodule where I can harvest lumber from Forest squares? Or clay from Swamp squares? I am guessing Not Very Fast.

Edit: How fast is it to hide a general contractor somewhere on the Map? I know you said subplots are loooooooong to code, but what happens if I have to run around playing the market with eBoy and negotiating for nails and juggling shit in my bandolier and dying of an overfull backpack as I scrabble valiantly across the map with a caravan of building equipment?

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:54 PM

Content:

Okay, so assuming that Dwellings and Tents are to be kept separate, that brings us back to our original question:

Dwellings as they stand now are a bit pants. How can we make them more S2-Appropriate in a way that won't take me bloody forever, and will still keep Tents as the more-awesome option?

Give us more rooms,
Give us a way to customize it. Suppose instead of me building a mansion, and it being called in the listings 'A Mansion' why not let us call them what we like, 'A Compound,' or 'A library' or 'A Citadel.'

Give us more room to write the descriptions for things. Whatever the number for it was before? Was far too little. Hell, I could write paragraphs, (And somehow did, actually,) about the insides of my houses.

The ability to find the materials as a discount to buying them ourselves. I think it'd be fun to go out and play lumber jack or stone miner for some of the materials that we need.

Training bonuses, there is no reason why I cannot practice cooking in my own kitchen.

Stamina bonuses. Sleeping in my own comfy bed is a lot better than on the ground someplace.

Services inside. What's a mansion without a cook? Suppose paying for some supplies to be dropped off, have your cooks make something for you instead of needing to go out to eat.

Locks on individual rooms and the like. I don't want the kids getting into the armory, they'll shoot their eyes out.

Edit: This is me throwing things out of my head. If it's easy to code, good on ya. If not, Hell, I can wait. We have been for a while, what's a little more?

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:55 PM

Content:

Well, having them give a small stamina boost and a scrapbot garage you have to pay repairmen (or midgets) to take care of would be good for dwellings.

As for the tents being more awesome? They're on the map (awesome), they grow (also awesome), and if you can write up a description like Z managed to come up with in her oh so delightfully twisted head (AWESOME) then we can most assuredly say that it's already more awesome.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 10:55 PM

Content:

More rooms (chatspaces) and the ability to train yourself in them. I have a kitchen, ergo I can spend stamina learning how to do the bloody washing up more effectively. I have a shed, ergo I can spend stamina and req. hammering on scrap. I have a bedroom, ergo I can spend time by myself touching Percy.

EDIT: Blimey. In THREE minutes you have much in the way of consensus.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 11:00 PM

Content:

OK, now I'm looking at Tents vs. Dwellings -- I think these should have significant functionality differences to justify their mutual existence. One of them should be able to do some things, another should be able to do others, so that people have to think carefully about which they choose first. I think people should be able to get both, but it should not be easy for people to get both. Dwellings are obviously stationary; Tents can be more-mobile than that.. but, other ways to make this Choiceful for people?

Edit: To be clearer, what can I do in a dwelling that I can't do in a tent? and vice versa.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 11:02 PM

Content:

Oh BTW - the way I imagine Tents expiring is gradual.

Tents have hidden, I-Dimensional stomachs that expand to hold all the food that you give them at once, and then they gradually use it to make themselves bigger. You can't overfeed a Tent - just chuck your hundred cans of Glop in there and leave it to it. You'll have a readout in the TentOwner menu that will show you your Tent's current Glop reserves.

So, rather than having $maturity, $life and $dailyGlopRequired variables, we'd have $size, $glop and $dailyGlopRequired (which for the sake of my poor skinned fingertips, we'll call $glopreq from now on).

So, say you've got 100 cans of Glop stored in your Tent's labyrinthine stomach. At system-newday, your Tent would grow by up to ten $size, as long as it has enough Glop to support it (one $glop = one $size). So, by feeding your tent more Glop, it will grow faster.

Conversely, if you go without feeding your Tent, it will decrease in $size by its daily $glopreq value. Features will gradually get deactivated as the Tent drops below the required $size to sustain them (naturally this will affect $glopreq, making the final stages very gradual), until finally the Tent shrinks down to the size of a pea and nobody can get inside. At which point it'll burrow into the earth and bugger off to wherever Tents go.

So, your Tent won't just suddenly vanish one day if you forget to feed it - you'll have plenty of notice. Smile

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 11:06 PM

Content:

Edit: To be clearer, what can I do in a dwelling that I can't do in a tent? and vice versa.

Well one would think you'd definitely sleep better at night knowing you weren't in some living breathing monstrosity.

Things to do in a tent:

Move your house on occasion (great for avoiding stalkers), have your house grow new compartments on its own instead of needing to build them, don't need keys since you can tell the tent who to let in

Things to do in a dwelling:

Store heavy cooking equipment for better exp gain, Store a refrigerator, get a training dojo for some (small) fighting skill exp, scrapbot garage

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 11:11 PM

Content:

Well one would think you'd definitely sleep better at night knowing you weren't in some living breathing monstrosity.

Things to do in a tent:

Move your house on occasion (great for avoiding stalkers), have your house grow new compartments on its own instead of needing to build them, don't need keys since you can tell the tent who to let in

Things to do in a dwelling:

Store heavy cooking equipment for better exp gain, Store a refrigerator, get a training dojo for some (small) fighting skill exp, scrapbot garage

...Have a nice garden and gnomes. I CAN'T flippin' WELL DO THAT IN A TENT! I can only like awake at night, sweating, wondering what/ who it is creeping around outside silhouetted by the bright moonlight. Who or what is making that horrific scritching noise. HAVE A BLINKING LOO. I'm too old to be wiping my puckered up Seville orange on a dock-leaf, for Lorraine Kelly's sake!

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 11:13 PM
By: Hairy+Mary

Content:

Can I sum up some of the ideas we've had so far? They're making my head spin a bit. (Sic Puess, 'How many mutants can you fit in a tent didn't help.) A few thoughts of my own thrown in.

Lockers.
You can still have lockers for items, just make sure that the lockers empty with a DK. After all your bank balance does, so why not? Some people might well find it useful to have a grenade/medikit stash in the middle of nowhere. I'm finding that my backpack (1 stage up from the basic version) is more than big enough, so it wouldn't do me so much good. But then I don't tend to stock up on grenades etc. anyway. Maybe other peoples play styles might give them a different experience. Also, as more items start coming along, that might change. (How much space does a tent take up for example?)

Kitchens.
Kitchens, use less stamina for cooking - also can they be used for pickling/making jerky or whatever? This idea has been mentioned a few times. Jerky is less nutritous, but lasts longer (although not through a DK of course). There could be a pickling skill, virtually identical to the cooking skill, and whatserface's cook shop could run similar courses.

Bedrooms.
Where you sleep affects your stamina the next day. After all, sleeping in the ocean can't really be good for a restful night can it?

Seperate lockable areas.
Hugely useful for roleplayers. Also, being able to 'clear' chat areas. Does this mean getting rid of old musings altogether, or just starting a new page? Could people find out about your old goings on if they were sufficiently motivated to hunt?

Garage for safely storing scrapbots.
Not sure how this is going to work yet. Have to wait until the scrapbot system is in place really. (How's that going by the way?)

Bar.
Is beer going to be giftable? If so, let people buy in barrels from the Spiderkitty and have them in their homes. Great for parties.

Pool room.
Very speculative idea this one. Have pool playing as a skill, increases with practice. Have a pool table in the PSK where you have to pay for a game, or you can have your own table at home. Have the PSK have a plaque on the wall with the name of the best pool player on the island. Good for those who like Hall of Fame type stuff. Works on an invite basis, similar to the new PvP that we're going to get, (if I've got that right.)

That's all the rooms I think.

Now. For a dwelling, (tent or fixed residence) you start off with one room with a chatspace and a lock. You can buy extra rooms (DP/cigs/req) then pay varying amounts to have them fitted with their own locks, or upgraded to one of the special rooms above. Maybe you have to pay to have a chatspace in them as well? You also have to pay for upkeep. Start with the room in perfect nick. If upkeep isn't paid, then start having moldy patches on the ceiling, rain coming in, and then the roof collapses, and the room can't be used. Allow players to have whatever links they want between rooms, or make them pay for that as well.

Living tents are a great idea, but I agree with KK, have fixed dwellings also. Not going to list all the seperate ideas for tents.

To make them more of a physical space, the first thing that needs to be done is replace 'page1...' with 'Street 1...' It would be better still if they had individual names, but then who's going to name them?

For someone's real estate idea, (Zolotisty?) Have the highest priced real estate at the top of the list.

If someone leaves the island, then their dwelling disappears as well. You're right, there were far too many unfinished buildings around. Having dwellings fall into disrepair and then falling down altogether also helps this. This should happen rather quicker if a whole DK has gone by without anything being done on them or in them.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 11:16 PM

Content:

Okay, Dwellings as they stand now?

Not terribly flexible.

I'll try not to get into too many codey details, but to put it simply - Dwellings were never designed for Improbable Island. They were designed for Legend of the Green Dragon, and as such, they don't understand Stamina, IItems, or the World Map. So, making it so that you've got to collect materials with which to build a Dwelling - yeah, there's a module to do that already, but that module wasn't designed to work with the World Map, or with Stamina. So, we figure out the actions, level ladder, consequences of performing the action while in amber, we make some IItems to represent the various resources (figure out their weights and other attributes, write descriptions, make images), and we rewrite the dwelling resource construction module from scratch, hooking into the World Map rather than the traditional lumberyard and quarry modules (the ones designed for LotGD servers with a single village and no map).

So yeah, that's something that I'd like to do, but it will take a while.

The things that KK mentioned:

Give us a way to customize it. Suppose instead of me building a mansion, and it being called in the listings 'A Mansion' why not let us call them what we like, 'A Compound,' or 'A library' or 'A Citadel.'

Give us more room to write the descriptions for things. Whatever the number for it was before? Was far too little. Hell, I could write paragraphs, (And somehow did, actually,) about the insides of my houses.

The ability to find the materials as a discount to buying them ourselves. I think it'd be fun to go out and play lumber jack or stone miner for some of the materials that we need.

Training bonuses, there is no reason why I cannot practice cooking in my own kitchen.

Stamina bonuses. Sleeping in my own comfy bed is a lot better than on the ground someplace.

Services inside. What's a mansion without a cook? Suppose paying for some supplies to be dropped off, have your cooks make something for you instead of needing to go out to eat.

Locks on individual rooms and the like. I don't want the kids getting into the armory, they'll shoot their eyes out.

These are going to take a While. In fact, they're probably going to take longer with the existing Dwellings system than they would do if I rewrote Dwellings from scratch. And many of these things would be infinitely easier to write with an object-oriented Tents system.

So, right now I'm thinking about rebuilding both systems from scratch, but basing Outpost-specific Dwellings on the Tents system.

(by which I don't mean "Outpost Dwellings will be Tents," I mean "Much of the code in the Tents system will also be used in Dwellings." It makes sense for these two features to have a shared library and database table.)

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 11:20 PM

Content:

Alright, feelin' a little more reassured there then.

I'm only concerned about the bits of the tents leaking into the dwellings. Again, while it'd be really cool and everything to have a dwelling that fell apart as it went on with age, how many of you have to go about your house and patch the roof weekly? Hell, I could understand getting a bare minimum repainting every like, five years. But Hell, there isn't that much upkeep that really goes into a house, besides actually living in it, and that's all just house cleaning and that. It's not like the walls are of a crappy enough quality that you'll need to replaster them on even a monthly or quarterly basis.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 11:23 PM

Content:

Honestly I'm not fond of the idea of upkeep for Dwellings. Tents are different, as I can see them being better than Dwellings in many respects, so worth the feeding - but upkeep of Dwellings sounds more like work than play.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 11:24 PM

Content:

Again, while it'd be really cool and everything to have a dwelling that fell apart as it went on with age, how many of you have to go about your house and patch the roof weekly? Hell, I could understand getting a bare minimum repainting every like, five years. But Hell, there isn't that much upkeep that really goes into a house, besides actually living in it, and that's all just house cleaning and that. It's not like the walls are of a crappy enough quality that you'll need to replaster them on even a monthly or quarterly basis.

Seconded. (And I know what I'm talking about, my family's in residential construction.)

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 11:25 PM

Content:

Honestly I'm not fond of the idea of upkeep for Dwellings. Tents are different, as I can see them being better than Dwellings in many respects, so worth the feeding - but upkeep of Dwellings sounds more like work than play.

Said the man who scoffed when people called the Scrapyard in S1 work. Wink

OK, so, this still brings us back to the drawing board. What's the short-term solution? ..Is there one?

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 11:26 PM

Content:

That is supremely reassuring. You'd live in a right proper Shithole if you needed to repair your walls every week.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 11:26 PM

Content:

I'm only concerned about the bits of the tents leaking into the dwellings.

Clarification - When I say sharing parts of the code, I mean (grossly oversimplified, but hey) "This is a thing that a person is inside. This thing belongs to this person. This thing is this big. This thing has this many other things hooked in. This thing has a chatspace and a description. This thing is at (NewHome / map xyz co-ords). Oh, and to any modules peeking in - this thing's type is "dwelling" or "tent."

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 11:32 PM

Content:

Said the man who scoffed when people called the Scrapyard in S1 work. Wink

OK, so, this still brings us back to the drawing board. What's the short-term solution? ..Is there one?

Shortest-term solution coding-wise is probably gonna be one of these two things:

1. Reinstate Dwellings as they were in S1. I can do this in an hour, but I don't like this idea - if we start off with the old Dwellings, what happens when we switch over to the new ones? What about the folks who didn't have to forage for materials? Do we knock it all down and start again?
2. Sort a rudimentary Tents system whose only benefit at the moment is a chatspace and Stamina boost for overnight Tent sleepage, and expand upon it later. A few hours to figure out the best way to make it in line with S2's philosophies (namely, "Don't ever make a framework that you can't make more awesome later"), and then a couple of days, maybe.
3. Very short-term, disposable module - let players spawn chat areas on the World Map.
(heh - code-wise, this is about 70% of a basic Tents system. Razz )
4. Open to ideas - watch this space!

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 11:34 PM
By: Escemfer

Content:

Had to sign up for this thread specifically! Just yesterday mentioned something to Zolotisty about having private chatspaces, and lo and behold, Here's a thread about dwellings.

Living tents: yes. Yes and yes. That is cool.

HOWEVER.

Ebenezer and I cannot afford to buy bundles and bundles of DP just to have a tent and keep it fed. That is not cool. Yes, coming across tents in the wilderness or in IItem crates. But Glop as a mainly DP item? No way, man. I'm sorry, but I'm not spending money on that, especially when the tent can wither away and die. If that's to be our only dwelling option, that discludes a lot of people from the private chat system, and I'm personally all for having private chatspaces. I love the roleplaying aspect of the game, but it would be so much easier if people could "go home" for some plots.

In-town dwellings of some kind would be fantastic. I personally don't have much I'd spend cigs on. Luggage upgrades, yes. Maybe mounts. Not items that are going to disappear at some point. Eventually, I'll just start wasting cigs on tattoos. Lamesauce. I would love an option to buy in-town dwellings for cigs, and upgrades for cigs or req. That would be fantastic. That would fulfill all my dreams.

And maybe we don't tie the dwellings themselves into the Heads Up stuff. How about this:

Basic dwelling is one room with chatpace. You have options to set up a campfire to cook on or sleep on the floor (log out?).
Upgrade dwellings to add rooms.
Upgrade dwellings to add locks on separate rooms. (Open to public or private with on/off switches?)
Spend req to change the description of a room in your dwelling. Paint the walls, add windows, make it a palace?

Items to last between DKs, as dwelling-only items!
Buy an oven and use less stamina cooking.
Buy a fridge and store food for a short period.
Buy a bed and get a stamina bonus for not sleeping on the floor.

For maintenance and improvements, spend req or harvest materials to repair things or add windows. Basic dwelling stats could be displayed, showing condition, rooms, and windows. Thus, everyone would marvel at how awesome your dwelling is, or spit on you for sucking. And you could still "decorate" the interior however you want with the room descriptions.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 11:37 PM

Content:

Shortest-term solution coding-wise is probably gonna be one of these two things:

1. Reinstate Dwellings as they were in S1. I can do this in an hour, but I don't like this idea - if we start off with the old Dwellings, what happens when we switch over to the new ones? What about the folks who didn't have to forage for materials? Do we knock it all down and start again?
2. Sort a rudimentary Tents system whose only benefit at the moment is a chatspace and Stamina boost for overnight Tent sleepage, and expand upon it later. A few hours to figure out the best way to make it in line with S2's philosophies (namely, "Don't ever make a framework that you can't make more awesome later"), and then a couple of days, maybe.
3. Very short-term, disposable module - let players spawn chat areas on the World Map.
(heh - code-wise, this is about 70% of a basic Tents system. Razz )
4. Open to ideas - watch this space!

I think that you might wanna scratch off the first one. That'd just cause some inconsistencies and other problems. Hell, we've waited for a while, what's a bit more, you know? May as well do it the right way the first time, rather than have to dig through and rewrite some bits later.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 11:37 PM
By: Fergus

Content:

I understand what you mean with the 'tent' and 'dwelling' codes being alike so I definitely say go for it, it'll make it a lot faster if you don't have to make the same basic thing twice from scratch.

As for the separation of tent and estate (yay puns), MAKE THE TENT MORE WORTH IT THAN A DWELLING. Tents will use more DPs no matter what, even though they should not be DP only. Make them the ones that get slightly better features than dwellings. Since tents can keep expanding it makes more sense, give them less of a limit to rooms while a dwelling can only have x amount of rooms, making people choose more carefully what they really want out of a dwelling. Make a dwelling worth having of course, perhaps slightly 'stronger' buffs/services provided by its rooms since you only get so many rooms to add on.
To be in the town and close to its shops/services, you should sacrifice some of the freedom and extra room you have with a tent.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 11:38 PM

Content:

Quote by: Escemfer

Basic dwelling is one room with chatpace. You have options to set up a campfire to cook on or sleep on the floor (log out?).
Upgrade dwellings to add rooms.
Upgrade dwellings to add locks on separate rooms. (Open to public or private with on/off switches?)
Spend req to change the description of a room in your dwelling. Paint the walls, add windows, make it a palace?

Items to last between DKs, as dwelling-only items!
Buy an oven and use less stamina cooking.
Buy a fridge and store food for a short period.
Buy a bed and get a stamina bonus for not sleeping on the floor.

For maintenance and improvements, spend req or harvest materials to repair things or add windows. Basic dwelling stats could be displayed, showing condition, rooms, and windows. Thus, everyone would marvel at how awesome your dwelling is, or spit on you for sucking. And you could still "decorate" the interior however you want with the room descriptions.

I loikes this, we can move away from shacks and cottaging. We start small and we'll work towards a nice house somewhere.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 11:39 PM

Content:

Oh hello, Escemfer; pleased to see you contributing here! Big Grin

I personally vote number two but I think nnnumbah one would also work -- some terrible cross-Island event could wipe 'em all out and people can be partially reimbursed for their requisition and cigs spent. Nnnnnumbah three is an attractive option that I will catcall at even after Tents and Dwellings are all fancy and in-motion.

Posted on: August 08 2009 @ 11:58 PM

Content:

While we're on the subject, one thing that I really don't like about Dwellings:

Having three different damn types.

All three different types will need different resources and costs, have different features, and at the very core, no matter how much you dick with the description, it's always going to be a Shack, Cottage or Mansion with fancy makeup on.

The way I see it, if a player wants to write a Museum, let 'em. Now, this is where the $size val comes into play, if we rewrite.

Tents will increase their $size via Glop. Dwellings will increase their $size via other resources. So, we're gonna end up with a system where all Dwellings start off as the equivalent of Shacks, and then increase in size with extra rooms and better materials, which will "unlock" more areas where players can change the descriptions. Having multiple different routes that a player can take (IE they can have a Healer or a Training room at 50 $size, but must get 200 $size before they can do both) will give some functional uniqueness to each place (as well as the descriptive uniqueness that you guys naturally provide ), and help alleviate the sense of a player's Barracks being just a Mansion with a Barracks sign. Smile

Posted on: August 09 2009 @ 12:00 AM

Content:

Nnnnnumbah three is an attractive option that I will catcall at even after Tents and Dwellings are all fancy and in-motion.

But... but... but...
Numero Trois is Tents! It's just... tents without Tents, if you get my meaning.

Posted on: August 09 2009 @ 12:05 AM

Content:

Nnnnnumbah three is an attractive option that I will catcall at even after Tents and Dwellings are all fancy and in-motion.

But... but... but...
Numero Trois is Tents! It's just... tents without Tents, if you get my meaning.

Well, yes and no! NUMERO TROIS, as previously conceptualized, is a two day chatspace anywhere on the map, right? One that you can buy? If GERM wants to have a swimming pool in the mountains of CC404 for two days, that's better than labooooriously setting up a Tent there and locking someone to that space for all of time if the Tents aren't going to be mobile-mobile. And if they just want the space for a PARTY or an EVENT or WHAT HAVE YOU, then it's good there's no Tents involved.

Posted on: August 09 2009 @ 12:58 AM

Content:

Yes, but code-wise:

1. Spawn a Something on the map.
(yup, did that with IItem Crates - only difference is that Tents will use their own database table, rather than a serialized modulesetting)
2. Ability for this Something to be spawned by a player.
3. Put a chat space inside this Something.
4. The Something goes away after x days, unless it is refreshed by Some Means.

If I make Tents, then #3 will make itself, if you get me.

Posted on: August 09 2009 @ 01:08 AM

Content:

Right, so why not forgo working on the quick fix, and instead just go ahead with the bigger portion?

I only speak for myself, but I'm willing to wait a while before everything comes back, rather than have some quick little fix.

Posted on: August 09 2009 @ 01:26 AM

Content:

I agree with KK. I'd rather wait for the finished version.

Posted on: August 09 2009 @ 01:33 AM

Content:

Same. Just make the finished Tents, give them to us, and then finish up town dwellings.

Posted on: August 09 2009 @ 03:09 AM
By: Giuseppe+Lorenzo

Content:

Even though I eagerly await Dwellings to return, I would prefer a Tent because I could be what I have always wanted to be: An insane hermit living in the Swamp. With terrible hygiene.

Posted on: August 09 2009 @ 03:27 AM

Content:

I agree with 'go for the finished product'... as long as it is relatively soon. ;o)

Posted on: August 09 2009 @ 04:20 AM
By: Gorbert

Content:

Just throwing in my two-cents: I cannot stress enough how much we should have dwellings. Regular dwellings, too. The tents? Awesome idea, I love what little I've read in this thread. But I really do want houses, and not just freakish Zerg buildings, either. Wood and siding houses. Like KK said, we need a little bit of normalcy here and there.

I'll go with whatever's decided, of course (not going to throw a temper tantrum if regular buildings are nixed), but I feel pretty strongly about this. We need normal dwellings.

And if this has already been decided--I've only read the first couple of pages because I'm having trouble concentrating--then my apologies.

Posted on: August 09 2009 @ 07:19 AM

Content:

While we're on the subject, one thing that I really don't like about Dwellings:

Having three different damn types.

All three different types will need different resources and costs, have different features, and at the very core, no matter how much you dick with the description, it's always going to be a Shack, Cottage or Mansion with fancy makeup on.

The way I see it, if a player wants to write a Museum, let 'em. Now, this is where the $size val comes into play, if we rewrite.

Tents will increase their $size via Glop. Dwellings will increase their $size via other resources. So, we're gonna end up with a system where all Dwellings start off as the equivalent of Shacks, and then increase in size with extra rooms and better materials, which will "unlock" more areas where players can change the descriptions. Having multiple different routes that a player can take (IE they can have a Healer or a Training room at 50 $size, but must get 200 $size before they can do both) will give some functional uniqueness to each place (as well as the descriptive uniqueness that you guys naturally provide ), and help alleviate the sense of a player's Barracks being just a Mansion with a Barracks sign. Smile

This, I love.

Posted on: August 09 2009 @ 10:40 AM
By: Yrk

Content:

So, anyone of you have some loving memories of going on a trip one summer with your friends and loved ones? Living on a camping site, setting up your tents in a neat circle, grilling sausages over the open fire, just loving life.
THAT is what tents are all about!(IRL) Get together with your friends and even total strangers that happen to come by with a smile on their face. Everyone is allways welcome, extra welcome is they bring coffee/beer/food.

Putting this in a easier to undrestand way, also adding stuff to make tent more awesome than dwellings.
If you set up your tent close to a friend you, and the tent, will be happier(thus getting more benefits) but if there's too many tents it will get crowded and stressfull (bad).
Cooking out in the wilde is a totally different experience that doing it in a proper kitchen, everything you do seems to taste much better(thus giving you more stamina if you cook in a tent). Being out with your friends will also energize you, so will the adventurous experience of sleeping in a tent(more stamina per game day). Natrually it will make you feel great too, adding a buff that will increase hp/decrease stamina cost/incease attack/increase defence.
If you're setting up your tent, a tasty piece of meat, in the middle of a jungle you're bound to get attacked by monsters, sometimes the tent could kill them and feed itself, leaving you with the spare req gained from the kill, sometimes it will take damage and sometimes you will take damage, there should be a skill for the tent to improve attack capabilities(and a buff for being close to other tents as they help eachother out). With a tent, there's an infinite possibility for improbable events.
If you feed your tent it will grow on its own, getting better pretty much automatically. If you want your dwelling to get better you gotta renovate it yourself.

As for dwellings. You will have to build them yourself, costing stamina (and reg/cigs/dp) and possibly other materials, if you want you dwelling to be better/bigger you have to make it so on your own (carpenter skill anyone?) or hire someone to do it for you (for a cost of some dp, depending on the size of the job) this would also make it done faster and abviously save you stamina.
There is no out-partying-with-your-friends-buff for sleeping in a dwelling, all the benefits is simply a small comfort bonus to starting stamina.
It should be possible to make a garage, as previously mentioned, of limited size. You could also build a gym and lose that extra fat you got from eating 5 sausage feast pizzas, and possibly with the effect of the gym in Squat hole. A kitchen is a good idea, it will lower the cost of cooking. Also mentioned before was oven and fridge, it should mean there's an electric bill to pay. So it would be neat with more electric devices, buying a TV that could give you a random buff/debuff when you watch it (it could be possible to have TV and such in a tent, with a solar panel upgrade), imagine actually being able to sit down and WATCH improbable island.
If you cant pay the bills, they will either cut your electricity(making you lose charm from the shame of having everyone see you cant afford to pay the bills) or the electric maffia would come and cut your hands off (it could be possible to bribe the maffia with dp so you wont have to pay the bills for a certain about of time). Ofcourse you will only have to pay the bills if you use anything that needs power.

Turned out to be quite a wall of text there.. but this simply has huge potential. Dan, you should definatly wait with this until it's properly done. You can allways add more events, room and functions later on though.

Posted on: August 09 2009 @ 04:40 PM

Content:

I HAVE SEEN THE FUTURE AND I AM IN LOVE.

*darts by*

you guys have no idea how cool they will be ahhhh.

AAAAAH.

PHP Formatted Code
</teaser trailer>

Posted on: August 09 2009 @ 04:52 PM

Content:

*tries as hard as possibly not to think of the possible coyote/livingtent offspring*

*fails miserably*

So, err... would we be able to marry a tent...

Posted on: August 09 2009 @ 04:55 PM

Content:

SicPeuss, you've got a deeply disturbed mind. And this is why you fit in so well round here.

Posted on: August 09 2009 @ 05:28 PM

Content:

HAPPILY MARRIED, A'THAAANKYOU. Evil

though really i might reconsider on account of this and [CENSORED] seems to be getting on very well with [CENSORED] so maybe

wait, what am i saying --

Posted on: August 10 2009 @ 12:34 PM
By: Bee+Bee

Content:

Just for my two cents. I started my clan (Brewmaster's Guild) on the notion that the Dwellings would be areas that ae generally user programmable. For example, I would like to create a Brewery around Squathole that people could go into and purchase the same drinks as at the Prancing Spiderkitty for the same prices. (So there is no play balance problems) So I can rp actally being Brewmaster B.B. rather than giving away "fake" drinks like I did in S1. I like the idea of locked and unlocked rooms so I can have "factory tours". I would like the abilty to add description for the locked rooms as well. Maybe as another room that could be purchased and connected or not connected. For example:

Factory Floor (Locked): A rather burly midget with a rock drill stops you as you start to walk towards the factory floor. He says gruffly, "There's no factory tour today." Taking a look at the drill that is now in your stomach, you decide to wait for the next factory tour.

Factory Floor (Unlocked): As you wait for the tour to start, you see a network executive attached to a chain standing in the factory doorway. He seems to look rather shabby as if he has just been dragged out of the jungle.

[ETC.]

Brewmaster B.B.

Posted on: August 11 2009 @ 01:26 AM
By: Jon+Bishop

Content:

Honestly, I'd just be happy with a place I can role-play at that I don't have to travel out of an outpost to get to. It's very difficult to do much story related in the outposts comment space, now, especially with the massive influx of players ever since season 2 started. It's nice to have role-playing where anyone can get involved, but with the more complex things? You just can't have someone else walking in who has no idea what you're talking about. But, you can't blame them for wanting to jump in if you've been talking about something serious in an outpost for 30 minutes straight. Other people want to play, too.

Posted on: August 11 2009 @ 05:02 PM
By: nothing

Content:

look! a post from a newb! read or disregard, it's your choice!

It sounds to me like a tent is a dwelling. I've read everyone's posts and comments about how they really want brick/wood/mortar dwellings in towns. From what I've read on the idea of tents, this seems like it would blend seamlessly. You aquire a tent, plant it in town, and upgrade it to become whatever you want.

My ideas, for whatever they're worth.

Say a tent costs 500 DP. That translates as 10,000 Req. Since DP are more valuable to the site - let's double the req requirement to purchase a tent. 20k req. That get's you exactly what it sounds like. 4 walls and a roof - semi-portable. It starts of with a base coffer of say 1000 Tent Points. A basic tent will consume 100 TP per day, which gives it a lifespan - unfed - of 10 game days. How do you feed it? There should be lots of options. You can feed it straight req - 10 req per TP. 50 DP per 2000 TP, keeping with the trend. TP do not get wiped by a DK, which means you could funnel all your excess req into your tent for upgrades etc. You can't get anything back out from it, so there's no unbalancing of the game.

upgrades - i like the cookstove, bed, fridge, etc. Tired of the canvas walls? Upgrade to wood. Want stone, and towering buttresses? Upgrade. What if you don't want to be the only person footing the bill for your tent. what if you want to build your tent into your clan fortress, or a pub for you and your friends to hang out in? Add a bar. sell drinks to your customers - they hand over req which gets converted to TP. They get beverages just like from Dan at Spiderkitty, your tent gets income. Add rooms on and rent them out to customers for the day - you just became a hotel or brothel (take your pick) and the rooms are time-limited private chat areas for the purchasers - and your tent gets income. Set up your own kitchen and sell food - if it costs you 40 TP to sell a steak, and 500 req for a customer to buy it, you just made a profit of 10 TP. You could even set your own prices and give discounts to friends/clan members - but remember that everything costs TP and if you don't have enough at the end of the day in the coffer to support your upgrades you loose them... and can even loose the tent itself if the coffer gets to 0.

Posted on: August 12 2009 @ 07:26 AM
By: Pinche+Cabron

Content:

I want an RV or an airstream trailer (can a zombie donkey pull a trailer?). I like the idea of wandering baba yaga tents, especially while you're asleep in them. Imagine waking up on a random part of the Island.

Also, some people seem to have a rather constrained perception of tents. Tents (in the real world) can be as simple and crude as a tarp or as elaborate and luxurious as a portable palace.

Posted on: August 12 2009 @ 02:42 PM

Content:

However these portable palaces may be by design, they are nothing like the Glory of the Victoria Compound.

-sigh..-
I miss it so... And no tent could ever replace the parade grounds, the walls, the sniper towers, the barracks, armory, garage, or Compound Proper, not even if it were stitched from threads of gold...

Posted on: August 12 2009 @ 07:29 PM

Content:

However these portable palaces may be by design, they are nothing like the Glory of Dunbernarding.

-sigh..-
I miss it so... And no tent could ever replace the manicured lawns, the begonias, the shed, the wallpaper, armoire, garage, or two reception rooms, not even if it were stitched from threads of gold...

Posted on: August 12 2009 @ 07:55 PM
By: Enada

Content:

Yeah, I'm seeing DP and thinking that's nice, but not something I can get (is poor student Cry ) so you need a dwelling that has nothing to do with donator points for us people that try hard to make the game fun for everybody, but haz no moneys. I'd say houses in towns should be stuff you buy and upgrade through sheer work, and tents can be DP. Also, the tent food shouldn't be too expensive, or, if you want to upgrade your tent really fast and make it the best tent evah it can be expensive, but maintaining it shouldn't be expensive (reasons I stopped playing Maple Story, cool stuff cost too much money, then it went away within hours) spending ten dollars a week just to keep an rp device sounds totally uncool.

and and and, when's the next big contest event? (is sad that her donator points from s1 went away Cry )

Posted on: August 12 2009 @ 11:15 PM

Content:

Quote by: Enada

Yeah, I'm seeing DP and thinking that's nice, but not something I can get (is poor student Cry ) so you need a dwelling that has nothing to do with donator points for us people that try hard to make the game fun for everybody, but haz no moneys. I'd say houses in towns should be stuff you buy and upgrade through sheer work, and tents can be DP. Also, the tent food shouldn't be too expensive, or, if you want to upgrade your tent really fast and make it the best tent evah it can be expensive, but maintaining it shouldn't be expensive (reasons I stopped playing Maple Story, cool stuff cost too much money, then it went away within hours) spending ten dollars a week just to keep an rp device sounds totally uncool.

and and and, when's the next big contest event? (is sad that her donator points from s1 went away Cry )

You should have kept your DP in the move across to S2. Somethings gone wrong there.

Posted on: August 13 2009 @ 12:49 AM
By: Epaphus

Content:

Did you not get your S1 donor points restored when Season 2 started, or have you spent them already?

Posted on: August 21 2009 @ 04:53 PM
By: Enada

Content:

Quote by: Epaphus

Did you not get your S1 donor points restored when Season 2 started, or have you spent them already?

no, although i stopped playing S1 at the end, but I had a nice amount of DP saved from winning contests and presidential elections, and didn't get any of that when I remade myself for season 2. Maybe the feact that I stopped playing S1 is why the points went away? ;.;

Posted on: August 21 2009 @ 06:45 PM
By: Count+Sessine

Content:

You shouldn't have had to remake your character in S2. All the S1 characters were copied over... unless you'd maybe let your character expire? In any case, this is the kind of thing Dan will fix... as soon as he gets a moment, which may be a little while due to RL events in his life, but you will have all your DPs back. Promise.

Posted on: August 24 2009 @ 02:17 AM
By: Pinche+Cabron

Content:

I recently upgraded my hat to a size 66. Is there any way I can have the haberdasher put a door in it and use IT as a tent?

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 12:46 PM
By: talkydoor

Content:

THANK YOU CMJ

talky is looking forward to having a little more privacy. And parties. Definitely parties.

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 05:14 AM

Content:

Am I right in thinking that you can only build on plains, not say in swamp for example, off the top of my head? (Now why would I pick that example?)

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 11:45 AM
By: Mister+Rawr

Content:

Quote by: tehdave

Beaches/deserts are a go. I take it rock has to be brought from the Mountains? That'd kind of suck for anyone without the disposable Req for one-shots...

Yes, toting stone SUCKS A LOT! Each piece is 20KG and the masonry kit is 25KG. With the Advanced Backpack, Rawr could carry two pieces of stone per trip. I guess that's why you need 25 chunks of stone to start instead of 100.

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 05:53 AM
By: zamboni

Content:

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Am I right in thinking that you can only build on plains, not say in swamp for example, off the top of my head? (Now why would I pick that example?)

Plains, jungle and mountain all work; swamp, river and ocean seem to be no go. Didn't test on beaches or snow before selecting my lovely jungle plot surrounded by river and with easy access to fine dining in Pleasantville.

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 06:17 AM
By: Azhron

Content:

I don't suppose it's out of the question to rent the toolboxes for 3 days and make them ten pounds lighter, is it?

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 06:51 AM

Content:

Quote by: Azhron

I don't suppose it's out of the question to rent the toolboxes for 3 days and make them ten pounds lighter, is it?

Yep. Wink

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 07:42 AM
By: Neeip

Content:

Just a Question/Invite, Who Here's Still Up for the Mountain Fort? : D

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 08:56 AM
By: tehdave

Content:

Quote by: zamboni

Plains, jungle and mountain all work; swamp, river and ocean seem to be no go. Didn't test on beaches or snow before selecting my lovely jungle plot surrounded by river and with easy access to fine dining in Pleasantville.

Beaches/deserts are a go. I take it rock has to be brought from the Mountains? That'd kind of suck for anyone without the disposable Req for one-shots...

Also: is it possible to just dump logs/stones into the space for later? That way, someone with more bagspace can help bring the materials in, without alienating people with smaller packs (Watcher help anyone with the starter backpack trying to build a house...)

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 05:29 AM
By: Raimar

Content:

Or, shall we say... beaches?

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 04:06 AM

Content:

Is there/will there be a way to sell back plots that haven't been built on, or discard them? In case you've started somewhere you don't want to be?

I would definitely prefer to move my plot elsewhere.

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 04:30 AM
By: Zephy

Content:

Uh, I just discovered a bug, I think.

I harvested some wood, and was too tired to build with all of it.
On my newday, I'm told I don't have the wood to build with, but its still in my inventory (because I didn't use it).

Bwa?

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 04:39 AM
By: Zephy

Content:

Ah, nevermind.

I just realized I need the Carpentry Toolbox for the building also. My bad.

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 05:00 AM
By: zamboni

Content:

Can't drop logs or rock on the map at the moment - other than that, looks like dwellings are hot hot hot!

Posted on: January 16 2010 @ 12:03 AM
By: Genevieve

Content:

I have been thinking about dwellings a lot lately because I remember CMJ saying somewhere that the outpost invasions were to bide time or something for dwellings. So I read through this thread and came up with a few ideas. These ideas are admitedly impractical, because I have a hyperactive imagination and absolutely no knowledge of coding. I can only guess these ideas are laughably rediculous when it comes to coding them, but I want to share them because they will nag at the back of my head otherwise.

I have been thinking: if these are fleshy, living tents, won't climate be an issue? Wouldn't your tent be unhappy if it's a hairless, thin thing up in the snowy moutains? Or if it's thickly furred, wouldn't the beach be it's bane?

And then, if climate is a factor, the ocean and river squares would be too. I mean, you can't pitch a tent on water.

But you could have a little living raft, or something.

Now, obviously, you can't have a proper boat, that'd kinda mess with the whole "no escape from the island" business. But imagine this:

Your tent's buffs/debuffs could be dependant on where you put it down. So if you buy a yetti tent you get max buff from sleeping in snow, and a debuff for sleeping on ocean, river, and beach, because it can't swim or it gets all sweaty at night and the pantig keeps you awake. This terrain factor could be helpful in making tents slightly less expensive, kinda.

Jungle tents would be the most expensive since there are more jungle squares than anythig. Then plains tents, then beach tents, then moutain tents, and so on. Something like a river tent would be the cheapest because it'd be a major debuff on any land square. And since it's a livig thing, it eliminates the whole "attempt to escape the island" scenario.

See... I kinda want a boat. I'm enjoying RPing the whole Pirate thing, and having a proper boat would be kinda awesome.

But I had other ideas with the terrain-specific tents. Like how it would make tents available to those with little DP, as long as they're willing to only sleep on certain terrains for the maximum buff to apply. And then, if they came into more DP, they could go into the Lodge and get their snow-tent shaved, or something, to let it sleep in the jungle with max buff for a week or something.

As I said, I have a hyperactive imagination, I doubt this would be easy to code, so I don't expect it to happen, but it's a kinda cool thought, I think.

Posted on: January 16 2010 @ 12:05 AM

Content:

STILL SO EXCITED ABOUT TENTS.

Whatever you all are imagining -- and this includes you, Gen -- they are like forty million times more awesome.

Posted on: January 16 2010 @ 12:07 AM
By: jamesb

Content:

Whatever you all are imagining -- and this includes you, Gen -- they are like forty million times more awesome.

Seconded

Posted on: January 16 2010 @ 12:18 AM
By: Chimental

Content:

You know, I don't think I've ever seen Z this excited. These Tents must have some form of Japanese Super Magic Fun Powers.

(On that note, I shall have a herd of tents that roams throughout the island. New Mass member idea: sheepdog. Will work out details later.)

Posted on: January 16 2010 @ 03:45 AM

Content:

Classic CMJ trick there, get us all excited with awesome ideas, let our imaginations go wild and start dreaming of things far too awesome to ever be feasable, and then give us something more awesome still.

Posted on: January 16 2010 @ 05:56 AM
By: Genevieve

Content:

So... so....

I can dream of having a boat!? A real awesome boat!?

*starry eyes*

An awesome boat, that, as it gets bigger, gets like.. a hardened turtle shell as an exterior instead of icky flesh, and it looks like a totally awesome giant brigantine turtle boat....

I like boats.

I am now so excited that I am probably going to be doodling this on everything.

Also: I imagined you playing fetch with a tent, Z, and it made me giggle immensely. Especially since I imagined it as a snow tent, so it was all furry and slobbery and stuff.

Posted on: January 16 2010 @ 05:44 PM
By: Paul+Lo

Content:

Dwellings! Boats!

Boat dwellings!

I would love so much to get a Mmmmuud Platform, some sort of living four-legged organism with a fifth 'limb' to 'plunge' in the ocean bed. Like a small oil platform, but more versatile. And mobile!

Forget jungle soils or mountain caves, I aim for the depths around the Island, and in the center too! Muha ha ha ha ha! Twisted Evil

Posted on: January 17 2010 @ 12:00 AM
By: Amerithe

Content:

Probably pretty pointless this far in, but I gotta throw it out there.. if one wanted to have boats outside the Island(I imagine lake boats wouldn't be able to get over the shallows in the river), would there not be some system to shoot down anyone who got too far out in the water? Even if it's not a functional thing, I'd imagine by now SOMEBODY would've tried to swim out, or make a raft.. Wouldn't want to kill the person, just.. remove the floating thing, or break their kneecaps or something. Oh, I shouldna thought of that, now I think I'm going to have to carry a heavy object and threaten to break people's knees.. it'll be funny! For me.. Now I'm just rambling. Oh yeah, and I totally support proper houses that aren't alive, even if they needed lots of upkeep. I got a husband, now I need a house. Then my plans will be complete! Yeah, they're not very evil plans...

Oh, and I realize this would probably be ridiculously hard to do, but it'd be neat if you could build a house with cobblestones. Of course, you'd have to make them tradable or something, not everyone can install things on the computer they use.. Still, it'd tie in neatly.

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 03:53 AM

Content:

Quote by: Paul+Lo

A shame we can't make boat/platform dwellings, yet; many cultures have permanent housing on water/marsh soil.

^ That. Ebenezer and Esc have a little houseboat. We're having to improvise on that one.

Questions!

Can contributers decorate and add descriptions to rooms, or can only the owners add descriptions?

Will there be (possibly when keys are introduced?) a way to designate co-owners of dwellings, like to let someone else have some control of the dwelling? Situations like spouses, business partners, etc...

EDIT: Is there/will there be a way to sell back plots that haven't been built on, or discard them? In case you've started somewhere you don't want to be? I suppose that could also work with co-ownership. If there is co-ownership at some point, could an owner/the original owner relinquish their keys and GTFO as long as someone else has ownership?

I would like this a lot, too. My writing ability tends to cripple to nothing when I type any sentence that doesn't start with "Jon Bishop". So it would be nice to allow for shared control of descriptions.

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 12:42 AM

Content:

Dwellings!

Dwellings!Dwellings!Dwellings!Dwellings!Dwellings!Dwellings!Dwellings!Dwellings!Dwellings!

DWELLINGS!

This also proves the claim that any word looks funny when you constantly read it.

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 03:45 AM

Content:

A shame we can't make boat/platform dwellings, yet; many cultures have permanent housing on water/marsh soil.

^ That. Ebenezer and Esc have a little houseboat. We're having to improvise on that one.

Questions!

Can contributers decorate and add descriptions to rooms, or can only the owners add descriptions?

Will there be (possibly when keys are introduced?) a way to designate co-owners of dwellings, like to let someone else have some control of the dwelling? Situations like spouses, business partners, etc...

EDIT: Is there/will there be a way to sell back plots that haven't been built on, or discard them? In case you've started somewhere you don't want to be? I suppose that could also work with co-ownership. If there is co-ownership at some point, could an owner/the original owner relinquish their keys and GTFO as long as someone else has ownership?

Posted on: February 19 2010 @ 08:30 AM

Content:

Drat... okay!

*goes to put the gimp suit away*

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 03:24 AM

Content:

Dwellings are scenting like pure greatness.

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 03:43 AM

Content:

My current problem is that the tool kits go away at new day, a problem for those whose stakes are a long way from IC.
I have so far wasted 7 cigs, 10% of my experience, 100 donator points, three chronospheres, and about a thousand req in a series of failed attempts to get supplies from IC to my horribly, horribly placed plot at 39,6. Cry

It seemed like such a good idea at the time.

I am also finding myself unable to "drop to the map" this damn rock that I harvested, making my backpack about 30 kgs overweight.

Other than that, dwellings are awesome.

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 02:28 AM

Content:

-Just got a Stake to claim some land. WOOOO!!!! YYYAAAY!

-Though, I accidentally claimed two pieces of land on the same square of the map...when I only wanted one. Is there any way to ditch one of the two?

And how does claiming land work? Is there a limit on how many spots I can claim?

Exciting! Very exciting!

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 12:22 AM

Content:

Dwellings! The ability to sit on the ground and do nothing! In one's own house!

That is, I am one of the more enthusiast awaiting for them, those dwellings.

I could ask some questions, but I feel that it is better to wait for the release, therefore answering by myself. Funnier.

Dwellings!

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 02:41 AM

Content:

One stake is supposed to claim one spot of land (limit 4 houses per square). The stake persisted in your Inventory because of a bug in the code. If you let me know roughly where the superflous Dwelling is, I can erase it.

(also, guys, um... If you've used your Stake but it didn't disappear, do game balance a favour and discard it? Don't make me compare the debuglog showing the number of stakes you've bought with the number of houses you've gotten. Wink Ta)

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 12:18 AM

Content:

Aye, not launched just yet - I'm gonna fix some nav issues, copy over the test server iitems then upload it.

Now, going live:
WHAT WORKS:
Being in a dwelling, build jobs, room expansions, extra rooms, decorating, sleeping, kicking out sleepers, locking and unlocking rooms/dwellings, all that fun stuff.

WHAT DOESN'T:
Giving out keys so that people other than the owner can lock/unlock rooms.
Different bed types / furniture.

In its current state, I reckon it's ready to go ahead with a release.

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 11:42 AM

Content:

So far, I'm having a fantastic time with Rawr's little cabin! I noticed the same bugs with the inability to drop logs/rocks, and I imagine that those'll be fixed soon. I just gave up and discarded them when I needed to.

I have encountered a bug though.
Rawr slept in his cabin and then I logged back on before the New Day. I was quite surprised to find that Rawr had magically teleported to Improbable Central in his sleep. That is all kinds of useful and would be a great thing, except it's also cheating Big Grin

Oh, and to bring the first room on line took about eight to ten game days, in case anybody was wondering... and that's with Rawr as a KittyMorph with the Advanced Backpack and Jump Boots. These things TAKE LOTS OF TIME!

But I guess that's the intention, I like it!

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 06:58 PM

Content:

Interesting question comes to mind, all of a sudden and for no apparent reason. Can people be locked in rooms? Purely hypothetical situation; Rawr returns to his home to find somebody sleeping in his bedroom. Since there's only one entrance or exit from the room, he chuckles malevolently and locks the door from outside. Will the person locked in the room be able to escape?

No, there's nobody locked in a small room in Rawr's cottage. Really, I promise.

Okay, there is. This ought to be funny!

No, it's not Piper.

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 07:22 PM

Content:

Nah, folks can't be locked inside rooms. You can always exit a room, you just can't enter a locked one.

Posted on: February 12 2010 @ 06:18 AM

Content:

Dwellings are going to be so awesome, you guys. They're the very next thing I'm going to release, and they're gonna be so, so very very awesome.

Posted on: February 12 2010 @ 07:27 AM

Content:

Dwellings are going to be so awesome, you guys. They're the very next thing I'm going to release, and they're gonna be so, so very very awesome.

WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
I certainly hope so!
edit: and that this isn't a bit of sarcasm. That would be the biggest letdown EVER.

Posted on: February 12 2010 @ 09:25 AM

Content:

Quote by: tehdave

WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I completely concur.

WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: February 12 2010 @ 03:00 PM

Content:

Yeeesss....

Posted on: February 12 2010 @ 03:00 PM

Content:

I shall proceed to join in to this 'woo' fest.

*ahem*

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted on: February 12 2010 @ 04:52 PM
By: g_rock

Content:

Allow me to join in as well...

*sets a wide stance, chest out, reaches one arm up and out toward the audience dramatically, takes a deep breath*

"W-" *chokes half to death on a combination of his own salivation over dwellings and the thick fog of awesomeness roiling off of Caveman Joe's manly physique*

Posted on: February 12 2010 @ 05:16 PM

Content:

*fwaps*

Posted on: February 12 2010 @ 06:00 PM
By: Ferryn

Content:

ohmanohmanohmanohman

I cannot wait for my tent i simply CANNOT WAIT.

Well, I actually can but you know what i mean.

ps: woooooooo!

Posted on: February 12 2010 @ 08:01 PM

Content:

Instead of woo I think I shall EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Posted on: February 12 2010 @ 08:55 PM

Content:

Quote by: Ferryn

ohmanohmanohmanohman

Wait wait wait no tents yet. Dwellings first, then basing the Tents code off Dwellings once Dwellings have been thoroughly playtested.

At this rate, I see no reason why Dwellings can't be released by the end of next week.

Posted on: February 12 2010 @ 09:18 PM
By: g_rock

Content:

ohmanohmanohmanohman

Wait wait wait no tents yet. Dwellings first, then basing the Tents code off Dwellings once Dwellings have been thoroughly playtested.

At this rate, I see no reason why Dwellings can't be released by the end of next week.

:: falls on the floor twitching and foaming at the mouth with joy

Posted on: February 12 2010 @ 09:25 PM

Content:

At this rate, I see no reason why Dwellings can't be released by the end of next week.[/p]

I must now dance.

*and so he does*

Posted on: February 12 2010 @ 09:47 PM
By: Merlin

Content:

Oh Joy of JOYS!!

HOORAY!!

Posted on: February 12 2010 @ 10:33 PM

Content:

Wait, wait. Tents and homes? Couldn't get any better!

*happy dances a bit before tripping over a power cord*

Posted on: February 12 2010 @ 11:07 PM

Content:

ohmanohmanohmanohman

i don't even care as long as it is live-in-able i am happy YEEEE END OF NEXT WEEK

Posted on: February 13 2010 @ 12:56 AM

Content:

*Has been looking forward to dwellings also and joins in the general revelry. Manages to do so without choking, tripping over power cables or any other major accident. Is rather pleased with himself for this.*

Posted on: February 13 2010 @ 01:27 PM
By: jamesb

Content:

*Bows in awe of CMJ's muscular build and sheer awesomeness.*

Posted on: February 13 2010 @ 03:17 PM
By: Mercury

Content:

Oh? The announcement of the much anticipated dwellings on the approach? What a great birthday present to me! Thanks kindly, Almighty Joe.

Well, actually it's not my birthday anymore, since it's officially the thirteenth, but the announcement was made yesterday, so it counts!

Posted on: February 13 2010 @ 06:40 PM
By: XaNe

Content:

I cant wait...cant wait cant wait! I feel like a kid just before christmas Mr. Green

Posted on: February 14 2010 @ 04:34 AM

Content:

Quote by: Mercury

Oh? The announcement of the much anticipated dwellings on the approach? What a great birthday present to me! Thanks kindly, Almighty Joe.

Well, actually it's not my birthday anymore, since it's officially the thirteenth, but the announcement was made yesterday, so it counts!

That's....kind of scary. Happy belated dual-birthdays? WOO!

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 03:00 AM

Content:

How do you buy a stake, anyway?

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 03:13 AM

Content:

Go to IC to the new 'Suzie's hardware'. You can get a stake for 100cigs, and can rent a few kits for one day for one cig each.

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 02:51 AM

Content:

One stake is supposed to claim one spot of land (limit 4 houses per square). The stake persisted in your Inventory because of a bug in the code. If you let me know roughly where the superflous Dwelling is, I can erase it.

(also, guys, um... If you've used your Stake but it didn't disappear, do game balance a favour and discard it? Don't make me compare the debuglog showing the number of stakes you've bought with the number of houses you've gotten. Wink Ta)

Guilty as charged. I'll toss that thing right away.

-I accidentally made the two dwellings on square 9,9. There should be one with a piece or two of wood put into it, and another with nothing added to it at all. I suppose since it's only once piece of wood, it doesn't really matter which one gets blown up. Thanks!

Posted on: February 18 2010 @ 02:47 AM

Content:

Let me be the first to say this. *ahem*

LAAAAAAAND RUUUUUUSH!

Posted on: February 17 2010 @ 04:11 AM

Content:

Improbable Dwellings System: pulling another all-nighter.

What works:
Gathering materials (uses iitems as it's meant to be used - rather than determining a specific iitem to be used, player can use any iitem with the "woodchopping" or "stonecutting" properties (of which there are only two right now, so it won't appear much different to the player yet)).
Picking up and dropping material iitems on the World Map (this is reusable for later iitems, just add the worldmapdrop property - see above).
Buying a land claim stake.
Renting tools.
Staking the ground.
Setting up build jobs.
Processing build jobs (any player can join in the building, only the dwelling owner can set up new build jobs).
Erecting a dwelling.
Entering and exiting the dwelling.
Chat space.
Build jobs for room expansion.
Build jobs for creation of additional rooms (each with their own chatspace).
Custom room and house titles and interior/exterior descriptions via the Decorating system. No more shack/cottage/mansion divisions - Improbable Dwellings has roleplayers in mind.

Not yet implemented but required for release:
Lockable rooms.
Sleeping (and corresponding Stamina gain).

Not yet implemented but could be added after release:
Furniture, including beds, kitchens and so forth.
Modulehooks for Improbable Labs modules.

Gonna try to at least get the sleeping system done tonight.

Posted on: February 17 2010 @ 05:15 AM

Content:

Buying a land claim stake.

Lockable rooms.

1st:What? The good old practice of 'ITS MY LAND GO AWAY RAR!' doesn't appeal to you?

2nd: Oh you know there are going to be some horny players 'taking advantage' of those locked rooms

Posted on: February 17 2010 @ 06:11 AM

Content:

HELL YES DWELLINGS!!!

Quote by: Chimental
2nd: Oh you know there are going to be some horny players 'taking advantage' of those locked rooms

Good, I for one am tired of people porning all over public spaces (and the beach right outside DICE Hall... noooooooooo!)

Now they can finally get a room! Big Grin

Posted on: February 17 2010 @ 06:53 AM

Content:

Oh yeah. I'm pretty sure Dwellings are gonna be used heavily for cybering.

Sorting out the sleeping system... First version sucked, now doing a simpler one...

WHAT WORKS:
Going to sleep.
Accessing New Day menu from sleep page.
Refreshing the page from sleep page.
Getting a New Day from sleep page.
(house owner) Kicking out sleepers.

WHAT DOESN'T:
Getting a Stamina boost (although this is pretty trivial).

EDIT:
During testing I'm pretty much just kicking The Watcher out of bed over and over again. Big Grin

Posted on: February 17 2010 @ 07:02 AM
By: FunnyMan

Content:

During testing I'm pretty much just kicking The Watcher out of bed over and over again. Big Grin

Huh. I could've sworn that the girls were supposed to kick us guys out to the couch, not the other way around.

Posted on: February 17 2010 @ 07:26 AM

Content:

Stamina boost sorted - we've no beds yet, folks are just sleeping on the floor, but furniture shops and so on can be released after the core system...

Posted on: February 17 2010 @ 07:56 AM
By: FunnyMan

Content:

Can you get the stamina buff when using a Chronosphere, or do you have to log out there for a normal New Day?

Posted on: February 17 2010 @ 08:36 AM

Content:

You can use a chronosphere. Needed some changes to daysave.php, but barring the new day menu stuff and the World Map integration, this is pretty much DragonBones/S3 ready. All iitems and stamina, very little core stuff involved.

Posted on: February 17 2010 @ 09:08 AM

Content:

Individual rooms and entire dwelling can now be locked or unlocked. No functionality to create or distribute new keys yet. Going to bed.

Posted on: February 17 2010 @ 10:17 AM

Content:

Didn't go to bed, added nested room functionality instead. Now an ensuite bathroom can be set as inaccessible without going through the bedroom, for instance.

OK, now I'm going to bed. Four in the bleedin' morning.

Posted on: February 17 2010 @ 05:54 PM

Content:

I may be the only one who thinks this but really, you don't have to stay up so late just for us internets people.

Even though we really appreciate it.

(dwellings, yeeeeee!)

Posted on: February 17 2010 @ 06:39 PM

Content:

I may be the only one who thinks this but really, you don't have to stay up so late just for us internets people.

(dwellings, yeeeeee!)

Agreed. As excited we are about the whole ordeal (SQUEEEEEE), there is no need to run yourself into the ground.

Posted on: February 17 2010 @ 06:52 PM
By: KimmyMonstah

Content:

(dwellings, yeeeeee!)

Agreed. As excited we are about the whole ordeal (SQUEEEEEE), there is no need to run yourself into the ground.

I disagree and say you get some mindslaves to stay up late for you instead. Go out and get drunk.

Posted on: February 17 2010 @ 09:38 PM

Content:

(dwellings, yeeeeee!)

It is not "just for us internet peoples" -- mean, it is, but please remember this is his job. He is not losing sleep out of the goodness of his heart; heart-goodness was all the time we spent funneling money to Doctors Without Borders.

Show CMJ some love with a tenner if you appreciate him working overtime to launch this, eh? Wink

Posted on: February 17 2010 @ 10:05 PM
By: Zpatula

Content:

OK, so how does one 'link in' to the dwelling system? I don't see a 'land office' and heve yet to find 'materials'. How about a clue?

Posted on: February 17 2010 @ 10:06 PM

Content:

AFAIK, it hasn't launched yet, Zpatula.

Posted on: February 19 2010 @ 10:40 AM
By: NotAgain

Content:

Talking of locks, am I correct in assumping that eventually we'll be able to issue keys to friends to let 'em in when the dwelling is locked?

(I'm pretty sure I saw something about this, but Ive just waded through most of this thread, as well as other dwelling related threads and haven't seen anything more than general references to locking rooms. So I could easily be deluding myself in wistful hope...)

Posted on: February 19 2010 @ 03:13 PM

Content:

Another feature that I'd like to see,

Can we get a status update for the decorations? As it stands I completely forget how far along in the decoration of my house I am. Is there an easy way to tell about this, or has it not been implemented yet?

--Also, could there be an indication to others that the house is currently being decorated? There is a little XX/YY STONE thing to show that there isn't enough stone as of yet, but can there be something of that breed for the decorations? Just so that others would know that your home still needs some decoration work so they can help out easier.

Posted on: February 19 2010 @ 04:15 PM
By: Ochris

Content:

so i've already made two mistakes... i started a building project to increase the size of a room that i didn't want to increase, and i've made a room off of a wrong room. (i know, there was warnings but i was feeling rash!)

can we get an option to stop building, or to destroy a room? perhaps some of the material would be saved but that isn't really too concerning.

Posted on: February 19 2010 @ 04:36 PM
By: Ochris

Content:

i really hate to sound like i'm nagging for features. dwellings are great so far!

Posted on: February 20 2010 @ 02:15 AM
By: deema

Content:

Dwelling are great! Thank you!

One feature request though: is it possible to display a decorating job in the list of current constructions and the appropriate progress thereof? It's getting hard to plan and track those.

Posted on: February 20 2010 @ 04:50 AM

Content:

I'm gonna close this thread, but only 'cause I'm keeping a close eye on what folks are saying about Dwellings and it's a pain in the arse having a thread for feedback, a thread for bugs, and this thread (which is feedback AND bugs). Mr. Green

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=7722