Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Ideas, Suggestions, Requests and Wishlists New Topic Post Reply
 Weather.
 |  Printable Version
Collin-Vee
 Tuesday, April 10 2012 @ 08:35 PM UTC (Read 3255 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

Being a bit new to II, I didn't have the pleasure of shitting bricks when Weather and Places came out, there were just there.

For those who were used to the empty space weather now occupies, this problem probably isn't so much an issue for you. OLD GEEZERS!

My main issue though, is this:

I'm plodding along, it's a beautiful day outside, the sun is bright, and there's a light breeze. I stroll through the outpost, and strike up a conversation. I'm grinning away, then they complain about being soaked. I tilt my head, pulling my hands out of my pockets and folding my arms. I ask "How, pray tell, did you get so wet?" They politely inform me of the HUGE FUCKING STORM OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL.

To us new people, checking the weather is.. well hard. It's easy to forget about that little box once you've been in a Place for a while. I'm just wondering if it'd be at all possible to.. well.. make it more noticeable?

//Waits for violent gunfire//

Profile Email
Ada
 Tuesday, April 10 2012 @ 09:58 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ha! It's probably harder for long-time players to notice, because they're not as used to it being there!

It does affect the flavour text in every outpost, though, and it also changes the colour of the background - can't get much more obvious than that.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Tuesday, April 10 2012 @ 09:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If you're in an outpost, there is a great big block of flavour text describing the outpost, the alert level, the time of day and the weather ... you know, that bit between the infobar (stats on the right) and the navbar (links on the left), above chat. It's easy to miss. But once you get into the habit of looking for it, it's not too hard to spot. Wink

(Granted, the flavour text on the map doesn't change, but there's only so much you can fit into one sentence.)

More obviously, the page background changes. There's the rainy backgrounds for storms, the way the page gets darker from twenty-to-newday until twenty-past-newday (IRL time) and brighter during sun, as well as with trees for jungle squares. Perhaps they could stand to be a little bit more obvious (I like them subtle, but maybe others would prefer more noticeable changes).

Here, Fred suggested having more and more obvious page-background changes, so that we can tell at a glance what the weather is.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Full Metal Lion
 Tuesday, April 10 2012 @ 11:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ada & Buddleia

It changes the background.

I play with console background. Ha! That'll teach CMJ, trying to give me nice things. Regardless, I'm not worried about the weather. I'm more worried about these legacy forums. Or there being both Location Four and Radio Banter. Or the restaurants dumping me outside after only one dish.

Basically: someone will mention the weather, which will remind you about the weather.

My rhymes are so potent / that after each post / I make all of the people in the forum crave toast.

Profile Email Website
Collin-Vee
 Tuesday, April 10 2012 @ 11:49 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

@Lion: Your solution is my problem. I don't want to have to wait for someone to mention it, while I think it's a bright and sunny day.

@Budd: When you're posting messages, it snaps you to the bottom of the page, which for lower resolutions, is enough not to see the flavor text.

@Ada and people mentioning the background: Didn't know that, actually. I figured it was random. Still, if it isn't obvious, then it's difficult to know except if you're paying constant attention instead of--Oh, I dont know, typing up a new post?

EDIT: Maybe move the text under the commentary areas? Or have it back and forth toggleable for the people who'll complain that the old one was better? I don't know, I'm just coming up with suggestions, to be honest.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, April 11 2012 @ 12:59 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Collin-Vee

have it back and forth toggleable for the people who'll complain that the old one was better

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Profile Email Website
LydiaDefountain
 Wednesday, April 11 2012 @ 02:27 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

**can't help but to snicker slightly at CMJ's reply**

@Collin-Vee Most don't find this as enough of a issue to likely warrant a change... but if it really matters that much to you that you notice the weather has changed before you go to post you can for yourself go and click in commentary preferences..

Don't jump to comment areas after refreshing or posting a comment? and change it to yes..

then you can always see of there is favor text or can glance at the weather to the right easier between posts.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, April 11 2012 @ 02:43 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

The Island's on speeded-up time, with each in-game day whizzing by in only four real-world hours. The weather changes at a realistic pace when you're thinking in-game time -- but roleplayers out there at their keyboards are typing in real-world time.

For the speed at which RP scenes develop, the weather and the time of day change just too damn fast to make any sense at all. Adding stronger graphics wouldn't make any difference; you'd still find yourself only halfway through enjoying a sunny day's picnic when the weather has zipped along to a pitch dark thunderstorm.

What I say is, don't worry about it.

Use time and weather if they, once in a while, synch up with the mood of the scene you're playing, but otherwise, it's perfectly okay to ignore them.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Wednesday, April 11 2012 @ 03:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

have it back and forth toggleable for the people who'll complain that the old one was better

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Quick, someone photoshop CMJ's head on Darth Vader.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Wednesday, April 11 2012 @ 04:30 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Chimental

Quick, someone photoshop CMJ's head on Darth Vader.

I am king of poorly photoshopping things!

And a fitting quote:
Quote by: CavemanJoe

When something comes up and a handful of people prefer doing it the old-fashioned way, everybody says "Well, just make it a pref! Problem solved. Smile" And why would everybody say this? Because I'm a plonker, that's why. A plonker who said, every other time something like this came up, "Yes, I will make it a pref! PREF ALL THE THINGS!" because I have all the foresight of a Wall Street banker and didn't think "If you go down this road, there will come a day when the cold hard reality of technical limitations dictates that there are Too Many Prefs, and when it becomes necessary to trim them down, your players are going to be Unimpressed." I made this a problem, and I'm kicking myself for it now.

My rhymes are so potent / that after each post / I make all of the people in the forum crave toast.

Profile Email Website
Collin-Vee
 Wednesday, April 11 2012 @ 06:24 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

For some reason, I feel this thread was a success, even if I was--in all--told to deal with it myself.

Maybe it's that orgamic photoshop job, maybe it's that CMJ responded.

Either way, pumpkin.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Wednesday, April 11 2012 @ 06:40 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

For some reason, I feel this thread was a success, even if I was--in all--told to deal with it myself.

Either way, pumpkin.

I sure hope, for your sake, that orgamic is a compliment. Pumpkin to you, too. Big Grin

Profile Email Website
Collin-Vee
 Wednesday, April 11 2012 @ 08:56 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

Either way, pumpkin.

I sure hope, for your sake, that orgamic is a compliment. Pumpkin to you, too. Big Grin

Lion. Orgamic is always good. It is the object of which all good is measured by.

Profile Email
Harris
 Friday, April 13 2012 @ 06:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I fucking love this site. Mr. Green

"...and sincerely,I love you dearly- oh but I'm clearly destined to wander..."-Owl City, Beautiful Times

Profile Email Website
Full Metal Lion
 Monday, April 16 2012 @ 09:04 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Harris

I fucking love this site. Mr. Green

I will take this as a direct compliment.

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Tuesday, April 17 2012 @ 08:49 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

The Island's on speeded-up time, with each in-game day whizzing by in only four real-world hours. The weather changes at a realistic pace when you're thinking in-game time -- but roleplayers out there at their keyboards are typing in real-world time.

For the speed at which RP scenes develop, the weather and the time of day change just too damn fast to make any sense at all. Adding stronger graphics wouldn't make any difference; you'd still find yourself only halfway through enjoying a sunny day's picnic when the weather has zipped along to a pitch dark thunderstorm.

I still don't see why we don't simply just have weather conditions follow real-world time instead of in-game time. Though the planet is still Earth, why not simply use the easy catch-all Improbability explanation to say that there are 6 sun cycles per day for some reason now?

Or instead of doing that, we could just completely ignore the realism of how long weather patterns last, and go through only 3-4 related weather patterns per 24 hours? (Like Hot & Windy -> Cold & Windy -> Cold & Light Showers). Essentially, the reason I make this protest is that it leaves a bit of a nasty taste in my mouth to say, "We have this small part of the game that doesn't work out the way we wanted it to, so we just ignore it."

But yeah, otherwise, I guess the matter is so small we can let it go.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, April 17 2012 @ 12:30 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well I live in the UK, and I'd always found the speed with which weather can change to be about right. Bright sun to snow to sleet in ten minutes, what's unusual about that?

Awesome, we inevitably have to ignore the time a lot. Typing takes four or five times as long as speaking. Chatting with other people involves pauses, what should be a five to ten minute conversation takes over an hour real-time to write, which is over six hours Island time. There's not much that can be done about that short of changing time flow so that we get a new game day every five real days, which I suspect would be unpopular. You've just got to turn a blind eye to it. There's a few things like that, req's another, where game play needs and role play desires clash, and game play needs are quite rightly put first. it's easy enough to role play round these things, by just plain ignoring them.

Profile Email
LydiaDefountain
 Tuesday, April 17 2012 @ 01:23 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Lol my character plays that yes the time is going that bloody quickly by her.. she perceives the last 6 days on the island to be one day but she very clearly remembers the sun coming up and setting a decent few times through the day. As such she avoids talking about time if she can manage it. Recollections become "it happened yesterday.. no last week.. no definitely yesterday..", and are common for her.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Tuesday, April 17 2012 @ 06:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: LydiaDefountain

Lol my character plays that yes the time is going that bloody quickly by her.. she perceives the last 6 days on the island to be one day but she very clearly remembers the sun coming up and setting a decent few times through the day. As such she avoids talking about time if she can manage it. Recollections become "it happened yesterday.. no last week.. no definitely yesterday..", and are common for her.

Quoth Full Metal Lion:
"Time is weird on the Island."

Quoth the robot lady:
"SYSTEM CLOCK ERROR WHY IS 24 HOURS 6 DAYS?!"

I've never paid much attention to the weather, as it only changes teh flavourz. And I treat flavor text one of three things ways:
(On first viewing) I read it and am engaged and engulfed in atmosphere.
(On subsequent viewings) I ignore it.
(On subsequent viewings while wrapped around information I need, like the pieces of meat.) I hate it with a burning passion.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.94 seconds
New Topic Post Reply