Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 who came up with what?
 |  Printable Version
Reverb
 Tuesday, April 06 2010 @ 12:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Aaah, the warm glow of a job well done.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Mack
 Tuesday, April 06 2010 @ 04:47 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Just ran into 'The Urge to Retire' and laughed my ass off. Quite well done. I especially loved "You're going to solve this issue like you do every other one. Hit it."

You can toast them, but it's dark magic. - MotPax on hotdog buns.

Profile Email
Geth
 Saturday, May 15 2010 @ 05:52 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I came up with "Nervous Req."

I will now await my death by stoning for the unspeakable crime of cruel and unusual punishment.

Also, I love the lion. So much. He hides in a sandwich.

A sandwich.

I actually laughed out loud for the first time in my admittedly short Island career.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Saturday, May 15 2010 @ 07:30 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Geth

Also, I love the lion. So much. He hides in a sandwich.

A sandwich.

I actually laughed out loud for the first time in my admittedly short Island career.

Underwear...UNDERWEAR!?!?!?! DAVE DOESN'T WEAR UNDERWEAR! Or pants, for that matter...

Still, hilarious. I need to remember to read the new ones.

A crate...a flipping CRATE!?

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Saturday, May 15 2010 @ 04:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I came up with People on Streets, and I'm frankly very displeased with my submission. Once it's up there, it seems too drawn-out and unfunny--it's just a series of references to the lyrics of Under Pressure. I'm kinda embarrassed that it got in, actually. <.< Expose myself as a bad writer.

I also submitted "Trouble" very quickly, forgetting all about it. It was accepted a while ago and I never saw it over multiple DKs.

Profile Email
Binjali
 Saturday, May 15 2010 @ 07:53 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I'm not going to give a rundown of my thoughts and opinions on the monsters, we'll be here all day. I do want to comment on something mentioned earlier in this thread, though.

Yes, I agree in part with the sentiment expressed by the Newly Female Contestant monster. It is certainly obnoxious and sometimes offensive when a male character goes to Paprika's and then proceeds to play up horrible stereotypes, and they do almost without exception have ridiculous cleavage. This is the internet, and these things happen.

However.

I don't believe it's worth killing them for it. It makes me twitchy and uncomfortable. Granted, plenty of things in the jungle make me twitchy and uncomfortable. My squick line is frankly a touch too low for this game. However, this one's still making me wince, and I wanted to comment. (I'd probably be able to tolerate the NFC if it was one of the monsters you can't clean the carcass of and the win text was changed to not refer to actually killing them.)

Profile Email
Azhron
 Saturday, May 15 2010 @ 11:40 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I can see your point of view, Binjali (the "Orc" monster kind of affects me like that) but killing innocent bystanders for no particular reason is part of the Improbable Island spirit, and you can't really apply morality to a joke presented to you by a random number generator. If it still bothers you, think of it like this: the NFC is supposed to be a contestant, so even if you kill them, they're just off to the FailBoat.

Or just don't think about it. It's amazing the problems you can make disappear just by ignoring them.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Sunday, May 16 2010 @ 12:56 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Or hitting them hard enough. Be mindfull of who you're talking to here Wink

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Binjali
 Sunday, May 16 2010 @ 04:18 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Azhron

I can see your point of view, Binjali (the "Orc" monster kind of affects me like that) but killing innocent bystanders for no particular reason is part of the Improbable Island spirit, and you can't really apply morality to a joke presented to you by a random number generator. If it still bothers you, think of it like this: the NFC is supposed to be a contestant, so even if you kill them, they're just off to the FailBoat.

Or just don't think about it. It's amazing the problems you can make disappear just by ignoring them.

I quite agree about the Orc. When I first started playing, I had to run every time it came up, I couldn't face it. As I mentioned, I think my comfort zone is a scotch smaller than the people who've been writing up the monsters.

The joke is not presented to me by a random number generator. Someone wrote it and submitted it. It's currently part of the text of the game. I can indeed apply morality to it. However, I'm not applying morality. I'm expressing my opinion about it. It happens to be a negative opinion.

Yes, they are supposed to be a contestant, and yes, technically that means they'd go to the Failboat, except that I believe (it's been a while since I actually read it) that the win message indicates that the NFC is dead. There's also that you can clean the carcass, which you could not do if the NFC had been taken by Failors.

I can ignore the NFC just like I can ignore the Orc and the Budget Horse and anything else that's outside my comfort zone that's in this game, otherwise I would have quit months ago. However I saw the chance to voice my opinion, and so I took it.

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Sunday, May 16 2010 @ 07:58 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Binjali, I know what you mean. I felt like that at first, but then I decided that, since you come up against these same 'people' again and again, they're clearly not real. I think I decided on some sort of clone/automatron hybrid, held together by improbability and intent on Failing me.

I think I had to decide this to deal with Bumbling Ally who, let's face it, would be me. I suppose the theory is he's being so very useless that I realise he's not real, swallow my conscience, and hit him.

Profile Email
Genevieve
 Sunday, May 16 2010 @ 08:13 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Dave and I did Sexual Innuendo.

I love the bear strapped to the back of the other bear too! But I have a soft spot for bears.

I also like Team Awesome, and I also do not get the Weiner Punk.

What else do I like? I don't know, I suppose I'll remember them later

Profile Email Website
tehdave
 Sunday, May 16 2010 @ 08:19 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Genevieve

Dave and I did Sexual Innuendo.

Wink Cool Laughing Out Loud Mr. Green

But seriously...yeah, I love the Bear Strapped to the Back of Another Bear...and Rank 10 Difficulty (I almost want to try losing against it, just to see the fail message)

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Genevieve
 Sunday, May 16 2010 @ 08:23 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: tehdave
Quote by: GenevieveDave and I did Sexual Innuendo.

Wink Cool Laughing Out Loud Mr. Green

See?! What'd I say. We really need to make the Beast With Two Backs now.

Profile Email Website
Reverb
 Sunday, May 16 2010 @ 02:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Pleapleaseplease, Person Who Made The Lions, step forward so that we may praise you... i just found the level um.. 14 one, i think (suicide adds one level? Two?) and, yeah. I definately did NOT see that coming. Sneaky bastard.

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Sunday, May 16 2010 @ 03:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Caveman came up with that one. there's one at every level I think, but I don't like the low-level ones.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Reverb
 Sunday, May 16 2010 @ 03:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

And i bet we won't get to actually kill any of them..sneaky, sneaky bastard.

Profile Email
Mogar
 Tuesday, May 18 2010 @ 08:50 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Cousjava

Caveman came up with that one. there's one at every level I think, but I don't like the low-level ones.

The level-one lion does a good job of setting the whole scheme up though. The higher level ones, I'd agree, are the funniest of 'em, and I laughed out loud for a good while with most of 'em.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, May 18 2010 @ 11:46 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Binjali
Don't know if this helps, but I tend to think of all the jungle denizens as having their own failboat. They disappear and come back, the same as we do. Even if they've been cleaned and eaten. I mean, just how many popes are there to fight? We must have had the same one twice somewhere.

I can't remember any specific examples, but aren't there a few fail messages where you're rendered into a state where you would have thought yourself beyond help from the failboat, blown up by gunpowder or somesuch? If you can enrage your own tongue by shouting abuse at it, then I think that you can do most things. This Island doesn't exactly follow the normal laws of nature.

Also - note this. While you tend to have a distinct advantage in any given fight, they have the advantage that they can come straight back again. I've met the same thing three times on the trot before now.

Nothing is permanent here, neither for us, or for them.

If it still gets to you, then there are other things you can do. As a mathematician myself, I also feel sympathetic to the mathematician you meet, even if he is the most rubbish, unmathematicianly person you're ever likely to meet. So. In one of the dwellings that I'm helping to build, I've put a room which is a mathematicians retreat for them. It's got a tea urn and walls covered in whiteboards for them. I sometimes go in and chat with them, and we reminisce about old fights we've had with each other. It's all very friendly.

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Tuesday, May 18 2010 @ 05:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

My Yuck Line is obviously quite a bit higher now than I remember from my first days. Small Child anyone? I remember fighting it as the first encounter ever, and me pondering the insanity I just got myself into.

What I've written:

Paper Tiger. (Isn't it nice, a bit dull and harmless by comparison?)
Old Beggar. (Which is now an obsolete reference to the beggars that would show up in the outposts in S1 and ask for req in exchange for favour?)
Diplomat. (Not the current version, which is about ten times more awesome.)
Wiener Punk. (Er, it made more sense when I sent it?)
Stream Of Consciousness. (Inspired by, among others, the Orc, Paranoia, Thin Air... with the intent to be as disturbing as possible. Compare Paper Tiger? Contrast that Team Awesome is maxing out my Yuck Levels.)

I enjoy most encounters, actually. Of the newer ones, I especially liked the Nervous Req - and of course that sneaky bastard.

As for the issue of the difference between... let's say, CMJ's base characters and our own player characters? Well. The stereotypical contestant is a more-or-less cruel, ruthless, and a greedy bastard with an inflated ego. Good. However - this is just this one character we're following in the Jungle.. and the rest of the flavour text. I'll be honest: Just for that, I wouldn't be playing anymore; humorous or thought-inducing it might be, it's like reading the same book over and over again. So: What our own char would do in the given situation is basically up to our imagination.

There are, of course, moments where this doesn't apply: Mounts for example, or cleaning carcasses.

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Tuesday, May 18 2010 @ 07:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: SicPuess

Old Beggar. (Which is now an obsolete reference to the beggars that would show up in the outposts in S1 and ask for req in exchange for favour?)

He's still around, though slighly different. You meet him in the jungle, and give him a cigarette, and he might give you favor. Or hit you wirh one of his sticks. You can't rely on anything.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.65 seconds
New Topic Post Reply