Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 who came up with what?
 |  Printable Version
Tyr
 Tuesday, May 18 2010 @ 07:18 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

That's the Old Man. The Old Beggar was different, and was still showing up at least partway through season 2, because I ran into her in the outposts on many occasions. Usually right after I'd been to the bank.

To contribute: I wrote the Outdated Globe, Somebody Else's Quest Monster, and the Jokombidgbotantmorph (aka Qwerty).

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Tuesday, May 18 2010 @ 07:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Tyr

To contribute: I wrote the Outdated Globe, Somebody Else's Quest Monster, and the Jokombidgbotantmorph (aka Qwerty).

I particularly enjoyed the Jokombidgbotantmorph! That one was perfect. Razz

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Tuesday, May 18 2010 @ 07:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Quote by: Tyr

I particularly enjoyed the Jokombidgbotantmorph! That one was perfect. Razz

YES.

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Tuesday, May 18 2010 @ 07:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm not so sure. Can the rest of us really claim to still have humanity? Especially as most of us are races other than human.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Tuesday, May 18 2010 @ 07:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Cousjava

I'm not so sure. Can the rest of us really claim to still have humanity? Especially as most of us are races other than human.

Well, it's a shaky ground for definition. In my eyes, I'm fine with all the text referring to me as basically a human because I feel like all the races are pretty much humans with altered characteristics, except perhaps the robot. Zombie = dead human walking, Kittymorph = human with cat traits, Midget = short human with bad temperament , Mutant = human with slime, deformities, and extra appendages, joker = human with Improbability infused into them. I guess one could also view robots as "humans with metal insides and glass skin" but there's nothing here nor there that defines whether to consider them as humans as well or not.

It's how I get by rationalizing it to myself, at the least.

Profile Email
Marly
 Tuesday, May 18 2010 @ 07:48 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Cousjava

Personally, I try to think of humanity as more of a behavior/moral set than a DNA thing. So, yes, a vast majority possess humanity. The ones that don't, though... Well. They're fair game. Twisted Evil

Profile Email
Ninja Waffles
 Friday, May 21 2010 @ 01:36 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

everything I've suggested has been rejected still waiting to see of the mass of trolls and the Exploding Christmas Goose gets picked

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Sunday, May 23 2010 @ 05:15 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm kinda hoping my secretary bird gets picked. I thought it firing staples was cute. Razz
Then again, it is a first, sooo. Prolly not. Ah well!

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Sunday, May 23 2010 @ 06:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

For the lion, at level 17, have one there that you actually do kill, but chop into such small bits at your happiness at having finally killed it, there's no meat left.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, May 23 2010 @ 07:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I was considering making a separate topic for this, but I suppose here's good too.

What's the take and policy on monster resubmissions? I can understand why most of my rejects were rejected--not interesting enough, not that funny, hardly clever, whipped it up in 2 minutes just trying to cheaply get donor points, etcetera. Some of mine that I enjoyed writing though were rejected, and so I'm interested in trying to make them better for resubmission. But without any sort of feedback on why each monster gets rejected, not even a standardized

Your monster has been rejected!
Reasons for rejection: #2, 4a, 7, 13
2: Formatting problem
4a: Needs to be more engaging
7: Possibly sensitive issue
13: Makes me jealous and insecure of my own writing ability ( Wink )

or something of this sort, I don't know whether an entry of mine is worth fixing and resubmitting or not. And I don't know if resubmissions are looked down upon or are quite valid if people work to improve it.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Monday, May 24 2010 @ 03:12 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

I was considering making a separate topic for this, but I suppose here's good too.

What's the take and policy on monster resubmissions? I can understand why most of my rejects were rejected--not interesting enough, not that funny, hardly clever, whipped it up in 2 minutes just trying to cheaply get donor points, etcetera. Some of mine that I enjoyed writing though were rejected, and so I'm interested in trying to make them better for resubmission. But without any sort of feedback on why each monster gets rejected, not even a standardized

Your monster has been rejected!
Reasons for rejection: #2, 4a, 7, 13
2: Formatting problem
4a: Needs to be more engaging
7: Possibly sensitive issue
13: Makes me jealous and insecure of my own writing ability ( Wink )

or something of this sort, I don't know whether an entry of mine is worth fixing and resubmitting or not. And I don't know if resubmissions are looked down upon or are quite valid if people work to improve it.

So there are some buttons re. 'why the submission was rejected'? They include 'the writing is not up to snuff,' and 'too many pop culture refs' and 'this is good but we do want you to rewrite.'

Many times, monsters are rejected because either the monster is SO BADLY WRITTEN or ILL-CONCEIVED that one has to wonder whether the author really seriously meant the submission as, you know, an honest submission for consideration.

Of those that are well-written, there are two problems, usually. Either it's not funny/interesting enough, or it's too similar to a monster we already have on the Island. In some cases, it IS a monster we have on the Island already.

Because of the huge volume of submissions, it's unlikely that we'll ever add a more substantive 'this is why it was rejected' response system, simply because the current simplified system is already tedious enough to go through. However! That said! Anyone IS welcome to resubmit monsters they feel strongly about (especially after you've had some mates look it over and you've looked it over again yourself), and if it's still rejected, forward me a copy of it and I can try to give some feedback as to why it was rejected. Wink

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Monday, May 24 2010 @ 05:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Big Grin Yay! Thank you, Zolotisty! I'm definitely going to be doing my touch-ups to my Monster At The End Of This Jungle and Magical Carp for resubmission after finishing my exams this week then. And I'll try hard to figure out whether they're worth resubmitting a third time if it fails again. Wink

Profile Email
Snow Gray
 Monday, May 24 2010 @ 07:29 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I think my favorite lion so far is the one in the pantomime lion costume. It's definitely made me start reading more of the monster texts instead of grinding through - have to read all the Lions!

Tyr - I adore the somebody else's quest monster! I run into that one a lot when I am questing and it always gives me a chuckle.

Profile Email
kazuhiro
 Monday, May 31 2010 @ 09:40 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I'm thinking of writing a monster myself... a "Wall of Text." Obviously if I cheat in any way, it won't be funny and thus won't win. It has to be an honest to god solid block of adjectives and verbs and whatnot without line breaks.

Every time I think about this I think how much this monster needs to exist and how much I'm dreading trying to write it.

Who wrote all the Lions? Different people every time?

Profile Email
Azhron
 Monday, May 31 2010 @ 09:57 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: kazuhiro

Nope. All CMJ.

Profile Email
kazuhiro
 Monday, May 31 2010 @ 10:07 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Azhron

Nope. All CMJ.

Marvelous. They're my favorite monsters on the Island.

Would you guys groan if I wrote an "Obligatory Twilight Joke?"

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, May 31 2010 @ 11:47 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Would you guys groan if I wrote an "Obligatory Twilight Joke?"

The problem with pop culture references: they mostly don't work very well.

If you're clever about it you can sneak a sly reference in as an extra bonus for those who happen to have the right background to appreciate it, but a good monster is effective (funny, weird, scary, memorable, disturbing) on its own, even for people who have never heard of whatever-it-is you're alluding to.

Oh. And... Don't just look at the existing monsters. We want the standard to go up, not stay the same. Wink

Profile Email
kazuhiro
 Monday, May 31 2010 @ 11:51 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I seriously want a "Wall of Text" monster to exist, but I'm the wrong person to write it. I could try, I guess. It would represent more effort than what goes into most of my schoolwork.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, May 31 2010 @ 11:56 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Have you seen the Moose?

...the Panthzer? Mr. Green

Profile Email
kazuhiro
 Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 12:05 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Oh god the Moose. The first time I saw that I was like "wat."

But yeah, there are monsters that are already Walls of Text... which is part of the reason it's a good idea. It would be lampshading.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.63 seconds
New Topic Post Reply