who came up with what?
 |  Printable Version
Xith
 Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 12:12 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Have you seen the Moose?

...the Panthzer?

I Looooooove the Moose. The panthzer's nice for a change of pace as it's something that's actually threatening rather than just silly, but what I DON'T like about the Panthzer is that there are at least two or three lower level monsters who reference the panthzer. There's similar discrepancies in other monster descriptions, with things you're supposed to be familiar with levels and levels before you ever meet them.

Also, the Mongol Hordette thing which I met suicidal hunting at level 15 was pretty good.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 05:58 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Wait, you dislike the panthzer because other things reference it?

That makes no sense, whatsoever.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 06:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Have you seen the Moose?

...the Panthzer? Mr. Green

I am not long-winded, Sessine.

Also, See: War on Improbability.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Anonymous: xith
 Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 07:04 AM UTC  

Quote by: K.K.+Victoria

Wait, you dislike the panthzer because other things reference it?

That makes no sense, whatsoever.

No, if you would read what I said, I actually like the panthzer. BUT. The magical stewpot monster, for instance, which is a what, a level 5, 6 monster? In the description it says something about being hungry enough to eat panthzers, which don't show up until past level 10. Hell, as a rookie I played through and just thought it was a typo.

There are other monsters which fall into this same type of thing, with the level of the monster with the reference being below that monster that it's referencing. This honestly is kind of annoying to me as the character in the description winds up thinking about something he's not supposed to know exists yet. Particularly when the base contestant in the descriptions is supposed to have his memory wiped after every DK. (Although I know most people don't RP that way, cuz it would be annoying). If the levels on some things could just be readjusted it'd be fine. I'm all for referencing other things, but only when the character's already seen them.

Sloth
 Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 07:28 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

... There are other monsters which fall into this same type of thing, with the level of the monster with the reference being below that monster that it's referencing. This honestly is kind of annoying to me as the character in the description winds up thinking about something he's not supposed to know exists yet...

Just because you've never run into a Panthzer doesn't mean it isn't the sort of thing that wouldn't get talked about in the 'Kitty over a few ales. I figure that some of these monsters get discussed 'off screen', particularly the more fearsome ones. Wouldn't any sensible person (let's not worry about all the insane people around!) want to know what sorts of dangers they might face in the jungle?

Of course, Sloth has been at level one for a while so that he can drink cheap gargleblasters: You'd think by now the level one lion wouldn't be catching him off guard quite so much. I mean, yes, he's a sneaky bastard and all, but really! Of course, I love the lions, soooo, um, right, I guess I don't actually have anything useful to say in this second paragraph.

Profile Email
Snow Gray
 Friday, June 04 2010 @ 08:18 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Re: Panthzer References -

My first RPing on the Island involved Panthzer sandwiches in NewHome. At that point I had no idea WHAT a panzther was, or if it was really something I should be eating, but it was good to be social and meet people.

And when I finally got to that level and faced a Panzther for the first time, it all made a lot more sense. Part of the fun of this game is in that kind of discovery.

Profile Email
Ada
 Friday, June 04 2010 @ 03:23 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Snow+Gray

Re: Panthzer References -

My first RPing on the Island involved Panthzer sandwiches in NewHome. At that point I had no idea WHAT a panzther was, or if it was really something I should be eating, but it was good to be social and meet people.

And when I finally got to that level and faced a Panzther for the first time, it all made a lot more sense. Part of the fun of this game is in that kind of discovery.

*Jumps up and down* I totally remember that and may even have given you the sandwich although I cannot say for sure! Yay and hugs and things!

Profile Email
Waif
 Friday, June 04 2010 @ 04:35 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

One of my old personal favorites was the Cafeteria Lady or summat like that. The opening battle-text was marvelous, but the cherry really is the end battle-text describing what you do to the poor old lady as a nearby contestant watches in horror.
The Zombie Puppy and Orc made me rather sad, as deep down I am a very soft-hearted person and oh goodness, I didn't want to kill either! I brought the zombie puppy back to un-life for a companion to Waif for a brief amount of time, but I've never done well with pet-RP for an extended period. The zombie puppy absconded with her bag of meat, the flying toaster soared into the sunset.

Profile Email
Mr Geppetto
 Friday, August 06 2010 @ 10:53 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Oh, my. The jealous spork and panties. I just saw that. Whoever wrote that: THANK YOU! It's hilarious.
Also the Wriggly W's, 'ts pretty good. Looking forward to seeing the others as well, it looks like a fresh batch was just thrown out there. Yay! New meat!

Profile Email
Johnson
 Friday, August 06 2010 @ 12:50 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

The Ws are mine. So is Emily. So is another one I haven't seen yet so I'm not going to say what it is until I find out how much it shines.

Oh run-on sentences, how we love thee.

The moose terrifies me. That one I never get around to reading fully. That and Team Awesome, because it's- a bit too much for me.

I really liked 'people on streets', actually. Made me laugh. Also really liked the Orc, and the one where you start seeing the computer screen- cannot for the life of me remember what it's called. I love the lion sandwich and the pantomime lion. And the Japanese rabbit. And now I'm going to go write another monster.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Friday, August 06 2010 @ 01:22 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just had Seth the bard propose to me after saving his arse from a band of thieveing Midget bastards. That was rather amusing.

I'm not sure what my wife is going to think about that though. Don't worry dearest, I said no, in no uncertain terms.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Friday, August 06 2010 @ 01:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm going to add the boredom monster to my long list of favorites.
Because it's disturbingly true when I'm trucking Bob through DKs a day. :>

Whoever made that one gets a highfive and a ciggy.

Profile Email
Harris
 Sunday, August 08 2010 @ 06:36 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Waif: I'm glad I'm not the only one who has problems with the puppy. Granted, I must give much credit to anyone who can make me scream "Oh, NOT cool!! NOT COOL AT ALL!!!" out loud just by seeing/reading a videogame encounter, but still. I used to not fight it, but I finally do; I just dooooooooon't read it anymore. At all.

Zombie *Worm*, however is still one of my favorites; it's also one of few that actually remained entertaining after getting targetable bits. That is a CMJ original, no?

Crashtestpilot: I liked the other two, but Three Droogs is still one of my favorites out of EVERY monster. You even put in the damn lingo!! Do you know how hard that @#$% is to decipher at three o'clock in the morning???? Well played!!!

I agree with Mary on the Wiener Punk. It reads like a reference to something.

WHAT THE HELL IS IT, THOUGH???

Confusion aside- Good work whovever y'are on making him actually menacing AND original.

I would dearly love to make another fairy tale monster (like the stew pot) because I love fairy tales AND the stew pot monster, but damn if the possibilities aren't a little TOO endless to wrap my little brain arou-

BY Jove, I think I've got it!

HAH!!

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Friday, March 04 2011 @ 01:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm necroing this thread because people keep thanking me on the Thank You Thread. Wink

I wrote:

People on Streets
Worst Writing Cliche Ever
Oncoming Train
Dump Truck Operator
Purple Professionals
Flying Sea Serpent
Contestant Trapped in a Large Fish
Land Shark
Monster at the End of this Path
Bookface
Psycho Killer

Thank you for enjoying the ones you've enjoyed.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Friday, March 04 2011 @ 03:08 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That's an impressive list Fred. Some of my favorite monsters are on there. Applause for all the monsters on that list, especially the Purple Professionals and the Land Shark.

Except for the Dump Truck Operator. I hate that one. I never did find the whole series of tubes-meme funny. A part of me died when I encountered it.

[Ignore Maniak, he's just pissed off his monsters never got accepted.]

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
dizzyizzy
 Friday, March 04 2011 @ 03:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

That's an impressive list Fred. Some of my favorite monsters are on there. Applause for all the monsters on that list, especially the Purple Professionals and the Land Shark.

Except for the Dump Truck Operator. I hate that one. I never did find the whole series of tubes-meme funny. A part of me died when I encountered it.

[Ignore Maniak, he's just pissed off his monsters never got accepted.]

I love the tube meme, just because of where it came from. Oh, Uncle Ted.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Friday, March 04 2011 @ 03:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Honestly, I didn't expect Dump Truck Operator to get through, because it's very reliant on just being a meme. It's why I scrapped my attempt to write something along the lines of, "You were walking through the Jungle when you accidentally both your arms off..." Wink

As for not getting a submission accepted yet, I have plenty of submissions that got rejected, Maniak. I just keep making more.

Profile Email
Touchy
 Thursday, January 17 2013 @ 10:29 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Beyond forum threads like this, -is- there any -actual- way to see who contributed a monster to the island?

I ask because I believe I may have submitted a few a long time ago when I first played, and I found an old MS Word document of mine with some active monster's descriptions in them, but I can't for the life of me remember if I actually submitted them or not.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Friday, January 18 2013 @ 06:34 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: monsterzero

"who came up with what?"

I invented the Internet.

You're welcome.

YOU MONSTER

*Ahem*

See if you bragged about it to anyone, Touchy. Or post them here and see if anyone else claims them. Or ask a Mod. Mods know everything.

Profile Email Website
Touchy
 Friday, January 18 2013 @ 04:28 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Turns out I was wrong. But still, it seems like(other than SP), there should be some documented place of who contributed what, eh? Perhaps on the page after someone rates your monster, it can display the person who first sighted the monster?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.50 seconds
New Topic Post Reply