Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 who came up with what?
 |  Printable Version
Count Sessine
 Saturday, January 19 2013 @ 02:51 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Touchy

Turns out I was wrong. But still, it seems like(other than SP), there should be some documented place of who contributed what, eh? Perhaps on the page after someone rates your monster, it can display the person who first sighted the monster?

That might be nice -- if we had the information to display. Unfortunately, we don't.

Hindsight is 20-20. The procedure for adding monsters has been evolving over time; in the beginning, in the Pilot, all the monsters were written by CMJ, except for a handful that he kept from the original LotGD game.*

Partway through Season One, CMJ asked for monster suggestions from players. He was still the person adding them to the game, so the Creature Editor automatically inserted 'CavemanJoe' as the name the monster had been created by. That continued to be the case for... well, 252 of our 379 monsters currently say 'CavemanJoe'. Many of them he did indeed write, but many others actually came from players.

Later on Zolotisty started helping out with the monster selection using the same creature editor, which means it's her name that we've got in the database for 85 more of them. And again, she did write some of those, but many others came from players.

Since Z hasn't been able to be around much lately, I've inherited the job. We have a spiffy new tool for adding monsters, in many ways far nicer, but it still doesn't pick up the name of the person who wrote the monster. As Junebug, I have SQL access to the tables (which is how I'm able to fix some of the problems you guys run into from time to time.) Because I am, um... let's say, I'm just allergic to data loss, I have begun adding the contributor's name by zapping the createdby value manually. On general principles! Alas, it's only about 25 of the most recent monsters that have been properly credited that way.

So... sorry. We just don't have the data.

--
* I believe those old LotGD creatures are all gone now -- deleted or overwritten. Who remembers the Grunting Piggy? That was one of them!

Profile Email
Ada
 Saturday, January 19 2013 @ 09:18 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

And even if we did, I imagine that, as with Places, some creators would rather remain anonymous...

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, January 19 2013 @ 03:17 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Ada

And even if we did, I imagine that, as with Places, some creators would rather remain anonymous...

Yup. Hindsight.

In theory, if one were designing a whole monster-submission system from scratch it would be no trouble at all to let the submitting player say, "I'd like to remain anonymous," and then just display 'Anonymous' as the value for the creator's name. You could still capture the name, in case they changed their minds and asked to be given credit after all, and you could also have a separate column for the name of the person who accepted the monster.

But... you can't retrofit something like that. We don't have the creator-names for... maybe half the monsters? and we're certainly not going to wipe out five years' worth of monsters and start over! So, in this universe, once submitted monsters are in the game, they're all going to have to be anonymous.

Edit: Which is not to say, of course, that people shouldn't put their hands up to claim credit and be admired for their monstrous creations in a thread like this one!

Or -- Idea -- a wiki page, or a google spreadsheet...

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Saturday, January 19 2013 @ 04:24 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This seems like a great time to mention Rosemoo's Monster Catalogue, which has low prices and free shipping a column on the far right for "author". Also, anyone can edit their name in.

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, January 19 2013 @ 08:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just had a look at the list - at least one author was wrong. It had me down for writing Smog. While that would be nice to think, it is in fact wrong - I had nothing to do with that beastie.

Profile Email
Harris
 Sunday, January 20 2013 @ 04:52 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Just had a look at the list - at least one author was wrong. It had me down for writing Smog. While that would be nice to think, it is in fact wrong - I had nothing to do with that beastie.

Whoever thought that my writing was HM's, thank you. I take that as a compliment!
A thank you too, to whoever edited his author. Mr. Green

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Bedlam Beersie
 Sunday, January 20 2013 @ 01:57 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I'm still kind of new at this game, and so far, I have been laughing mightily and often (much to the chagrin of my oft sleeping roommates) at the monster descriptions. The sneaky bastard lions are some of my favorites so far, but I also notably enjoyed Shroedinger's Other Cat, Puppies of a Minor Diplomatic Incident, and Shovel (which attacks you wielding an old lady).

I just recently finished my first drive-kill, but, prior to that, I decided to try my hand at reporting some monster encounters.

Accepted so far, I have:
a Vindshield Viper (an enemy that comes from a rather old joke);
Your Pasta Self (No, that's not a typo; a level 15 enemy that takes its inspiration from "Your Past Self" which I encountered at level 14).

I submitted a third, which has not been accepted, but, like the song says, "two out of three ain't bad."

I have yet to encounter either of these enemies, and I forgot to save the flavor text for the Vindshield Viper (which was my first attempt, hooray!), but I hope others have already encountered and enjoyed them. The effort has shaken loose some manner of block in my brain, and I enjoyed the process of making these beasties, so you may see me posting here again in the future to make more (outrageous? unverified?) claims of authorship.

"Old habits die hard; bad habits take people with them." - I said it, just now! If you're going to quote anybody on this one, quote me!

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Sunday, January 20 2013 @ 09:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

This seems like a great time to mention Rosemoo's Monster Catalogue, which has low prices and free shipping a column on the far right for "author". Also, anyone can edit their name in.

Thanks FML!

What he said.

Big Grin

-moo

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Sasha
 Friday, March 01 2013 @ 08:31 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

/necro. Just randomly browsing.

We be responsible for, in order of acceptance date:

Head-Up Display (jungle only, maybe)
Seth the Handsome Bard (jungle)
Rap Scallions (jungle)

Not terribly pleased with any of them. But they did make the cut somehow.
Also made a Land Shark. It was very punny, but rejected. The Land Shark actually on the Island? Not ours. Skye's maybe?

Profile Email
Tor NaGoth
 Friday, October 25 2013 @ 03:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Submitted a bunch, had a few accepted. I think a couple have been removed as out-dated(Delicious soup, for one).

Of the ones's left, someone (CMJ most likely) has made improvements to several of them, but the original submissions came from me:

Work Progress lads
Unlicensed Plastic Surgeon
Grue
Cereal Killer
Rodents of Unusual Size

If others of mine are out there, they are either simple enough that I'm not sure they are mine, or altered enough that I don't recognize them.

Thank you for enjoying them

and... thanks to the rest of you for your creations!

I almost forgot the dreaded SpiderMorph! I'm quite proud of that one. Extra thanks to whoever submitted the Humanomorph using the same format-- best compliment i could have asked for!

Profile Email
Harris
 Saturday, October 26 2013 @ 05:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Along with Smog, I contributed:

Your Present Self

Draughtsbeast

Becoming a Sandwich

Draughtsbeast I owe all credit to Sessine for naming; that is so much better than my original that I've quite forgotten what the name was. Becoming a Sandwich was conceptualized by a friend who played for a bit and quit, but still good-naturedly talks about the Island with me to the point of even tossing in his own Monster idea, and letting me write it up.

I think I'm proudest of Smog, and Draughtsbeast. I tried really hard to not telegraph the endings, and I like how the ends turned out.

(Also, Tor- thank you for the Grue. It always makes me smile.)

Profile Email Website
Laser Towel
 Tuesday, October 29 2013 @ 05:36 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

The Hambush is my one and only contribution. And that's probably how it will stay for some time to come.

The idea came from a little embellishment upon a joke I heard years ago that just stuck with me for some reason. I honestly never thought it would get accepted.

I'm surprised at how popular it seems to be. It's been mentioned on two other sites that I've seen. Thanks for the punny monster love, guys.

Dent

Profile Email
Harris
 Thursday, October 31 2013 @ 01:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Beersie: Awesome. Do you remember the episode of G.I. Joe they based on that joke? It was splendid.

Towel: Of course! Puns are awesome.

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Tuesday, November 05 2013 @ 06:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

...aaaaaaand to continue replying to myself: Some, please tell me who came up with Maxwell's Demon! I can tell it's based on a logic problem, but I have never heard of the problem, cannot find it online, and know no-one who's heard it. This has been bugging me for years.

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Tuesday, November 05 2013 @ 07:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Harris

...aaaaaaand to continue replying to myself: Some, please tell me who came up with Maxwell's Demon! I can tell it's based on a logic problem, but I have never heard of the problem, cannot find it online, and know no-one who's heard it. This has been bugging me for years.

Maxwell's Demon is a thought experiment related to thermodynamics. I remember it vaguely from my engineering courses (I got a C- in that class, by the way; I'm not really good at Thermo. Cost me an interview for a job to work on heat sinks for NASA micro-controllers, even though I was already modeling them for a professor at the university. Frown )

There's an article on Wikipedia about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_demon

Basically, the idea is the 'demon' acts as an agent inside a sealed system of two chambers, opening and closing a door separating them. The demon collects all the fast-moving air molecules on one side through the door, and collects the slower-moving air molecules on the other side. This changes the temperatures on each side (faster=hotter, slower=colder).

The whole point is to make a hypothetical argument to violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics: "entropy of an isolated system never decreases, because isolated systems spontaneously evolve toward thermodynamic equilibrium." In other words, if you have a box of air, and you blow cold air into it, all the air in the box will mix and settle to the same temperature. However, Maxwell's point was to show that the second law is only statistically evident, and not a rigid, fixed law. If a 'demon' were in that box, and could push the molecules around (without affecting them), discriminating which sides of the box the faster and slower molecules are on, it would force a temperature difference in the system, and the entropy must decrease, even though the system as a whole hasn't changed.

That's the really simple, probably-goofed-somewhere-but-it's-good-enough-for-a-five-year-old version. Now, this is an interesting historical tidbit that's important to the original question: "In his letters and books, Maxwell described the agent opening the door between the chambers as a "finite being". William Thomson (Lord Kelvin) was the first to use the word "demon" for Maxwell's concept, in the journal Nature in 1874, and implied that he intended the mediating, rather than malevolent, connotation of the word."

So our little Island monster buddy is instead a malevolent manifestation of Maxwell's Demon, taking all the faster, hotter molecules for himself, and leaving us with only the slower, colder molecules, thereby freezing the Island! The little bastard!

(Feel free to smack me if I over-explained the joke)

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Harris
 Thursday, November 07 2013 @ 05:15 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

THANK YOU.

Also; physics thought experiments? Neat!

Profile Email Website
Twosocks Monkey
 Thursday, November 07 2013 @ 01:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Trowa
(Feel free to smack me if I over-explained the joke)

Can I smack you anyway? Just because?

ALSO HARRIS HOW DID YOU NOT FIND THAT?

Have you not heard of Google?

It's this new-fangled thing all the kids are using.

*this is my troll face*

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.41 seconds
New Topic Post Reply