Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 A not-so-minor footnote to trains: CARDS!
 |  Printable Version
Docenspiel
 Tuesday, March 19 2013 @ 02:55 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Alik

I always thought of spades as being the darker of the suits, and therefore a good one to show off the enemies or more antagonistic NPCs, like the Drive itself, Titans, the Stranger (who seems to have been forgotten), thieving midgets or fail-boat personnel, etc.

it's 4:40am and I can't really think of anything else at the moment. I'll edit this tomorrow with other ideas

Perhaps the Stranger could be another Joker card? An orange to counter CMJ's green?

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Svergon
 Wednesday, March 20 2013 @ 10:23 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I've always been a little curious about the Dojo masters, Tom Carney and co even though they're tertiary at best.

Seems like some of them could get illustrations thrown in on face cards.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Friday, March 22 2013 @ 02:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm going to try to list my suggestions in King, Queen, Jack order, unless I don't.

Diamonds (money):

-Currencies: SP, Cigs, Req (Cobblestones aren't really a currency, despite whatever lies the wiki has told you)
-Franchises: Shelia's, eBoy's, Mike's (Joe's Dojo is also technically a franchise, but they never seem to charge me any money.)
-People with Money: See Doc's comment

Hearts (health, love, caring, compassion, happiness):

-Places that sell love and love accessories: Julia's Midget Massage, The Kissing Booth, Kittania Bluerock Chapel
-Healers: The Med-Tent Man and his helpers, Caroline the Speed Medic, the Watcher (with Adrenaline Needle)
-Loving People: Dancer, Emily, Rohit (beep boop WHAT IS THIS THING YOU CALL 'LOVE'? beep boop)

Clubs (Attack, organizations):

-Grenades: BANG, ZAP, WHOOSH
-Weapons: Cat Launcher, Chainsaw, Spork

Spades (Defense, evil, power, gardening):

-Armor: Force Generator(?), Invisisuit, Panties
-Jungle Monsters: Mighty Magpie, Giant Tattoo Mutant, Giant Psychedelic Mushroom of Chaos
-Home-building: Stone, Wood, Paint
-Teaching: See Doc's comment

I'm not even going to pretend to sort these:

-Crazy Outpost Women: See Twosock's comment
-Very Improbable People: The Drive, Joseph Hawton/Doktor Improbable, Robot the Robot

Quote by: Sessime Seed
Once we have the images we can certainly offer variations with very little extra effort. At least three options: Buddleia's two, mentioned above, or for a higher price, the whole set combined.[/p]

How about a clean set to go with the dirty ones?
Quote by: Docenspiel

Perhaps the Stranger could be another Joker card? An orange to counter CMJ's green?

Diamonds (moneymoneymoney): Deimos, Audrey, Sheila, eBoy

Spades (NPCs that teach you stuff?): Cuthbert, Maiko, George? He's not the one who teaches you Timed Combat, but he's the only named Zombie NPC.

I was going to object to that, on the grounds that the Stranger is symmetrical in power/reality levels to the Dancer (instead of CMJ), but then I remembered that one time...

I would add into the diamond list the bank lady and (maybe) the KittyMorph in the Bluerock Chapel that sells rings.

"The Fly-Catcher" is a fine name. Use it.

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey

Face card votes:
Funny Improbable people?
Audrey, Crazy old lady who sings the newhome song, old man with stick

I'd go with the village klutz instead of the old man, because she's an Outpost encounter, like the other two. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that the old man is a LotGD character. (As may be the klutz, come to think of it)
Quote by: Alik

it's 4:40am and I can't really think of anything else at the moment. I'll edit this tomorrow with other ideas

Let me know how that goes. Razz

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, March 23 2013 @ 02:50 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So what are SP meant to look like? I've never thought of them as actually looking like anything at all. In fact I've never really thought of them as having an IC presence so to speak. It's not that they don't have a physical form and would need to be represented symbolically, it's that my character is completely unaware of their existence.

Profile Email
Alik
 Saturday, March 23 2013 @ 08:38 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Full Metal Lion

Let me know how that goes. Razz

If it's any consolation, the day after I had to help put down the dog of the family I'm staying with here in Alonissos and dug the grave/buried him by myself. Mind hasn't been focused on II and since I just got back from a long break away from it, it isn't hard to not check up on things.

So, in other areas less depressing.
I'd love to actually work on the images for these as well. It's have to be a summer project though as all my current travelling netbook can't run flash games, never mind an illustrator, and my wacom is at home anyways. This is assuming that no one goes batshit crazy with this and makes the whole deck in under two months.

As for ideas, I think everyone has fleshed most of the choices for the suits...

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, March 24 2013 @ 02:08 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Progress report: The plan now is to make three decks. The first one is under way right now.

It will be a clean 54-card deck with the Island logo on the back -- in tooled leather, specially for you, Alik! You will actually be able to play regular card games with this one. The faces will be rather like standard card faces, except each card will bear the name of an Island NPC, or a quote from text somewhere on the Island.

There will also be a second deck, and a third, and I will surely need considerable help for the second one... but time enough for that after the first one's ready.

In the meantime -- to any card-game designers in the room: you might want to think about rules for an Island game that could make full use of an oddball 72-card clean deck with five thirteen-card K-Q-J suits, two jokers, and five Improbable Events.

Profile Email
Alik
 Sunday, March 24 2013 @ 06:04 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Sounds awesome.

As for games...
The thing is, a lot of card games are adaptable to a 5th suit.
Egyptian Rat Screw
Assholes and Presidents
Crazy 8's
Shithead
And never mind Ring of Fire/Kings Cup which has a rule set that changes so constantly it's practically the drinking game version of Calvin Ball.

Profile Email
Daedalus
 Sunday, March 24 2013 @ 08:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Progress report: The plan now is to make three decks. The first one is under way right now.

I had a thought (!) : you might want to let people know about release plans before hand. So if someone wants to buy a later-announced 'triple deck collecters pack' or whatever they don't think 'Crap, I already bought (X number) 0f single packs.'

Does that make sense? You prolly thought of it already, I know, but I was just excited that I had a thought (!), and didn't want to waste it.

D.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, March 24 2013 @ 01:59 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Daedalus

I had a thought (!) : you might want to let people know about release plans before hand. So if someone wants to buy a later-announced 'triple deck collecters pack' or whatever they don't think 'Crap, I already bought (X number) 0f single packs.'

Does that make sense? You prolly thought of it already, I know, but I was just excited that I had a thought (!), and didn't want to waste it.

D.

An excellent thought! Thank you. This project is a work-in-progress -- I hadn't looked far enough ahead yet to consider release plans.

Now that you bring the subject up, though... hm. The main consideration is going to be shipping costs. The print-on-demand site I'm working with isn't set up to make a profit on shipping, but they do charge you whatever USPS charges them to get your package to you. This means that people should be able to save a fair bit on shipping, especially if they're outside the US, by ordering several items at once that can all be put in the same shipping box.

I'll know more about how this works after I've ordered a proofing deck from them myself and seen for myself how it is packaged. Tentatively though, it seems like it might be fairer to hold off on release until all three decks are ready.

... and that'll take a while. Probably months.

Also, now that you mention it... once all of them are ready, it may indeed be possible to offer collector sets in a fancy box. I hadn't thought of that! I will look into it to see if it can be done.

Profile Email
Daedalus
 Sunday, March 24 2013 @ 03:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

An excellent thought!

Really? My thought (!) was a good think? Hmm ... I'll file that under 'new experiences'.Mr. Green

... and that'll take a while. Probably months.

Oh no ... nonono ... you can't make people wait months longer 'cause of my good think ... they'll have me tarred and feathered before the lynching. Eek! No!

How 'bout staged releases as they become available, but you let 'em know, clearly, that there might/will be special/combined editions later? Then they can decide for themselves, and I don't end up as an quasi-IC pinata. Huh?

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, April 23 2013 @ 07:47 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

An update: I have been working on this project, and there has been some progress.

I have the Island-logo card back done (it's not tooled leather after all, sorry, Alik! but I think it looks quite Island-ish). I'm also 25 images into the set of 36 I'll want before I order an 18-card test deck to see how the printing works.

(While working on this, I also made a swatch set of named Island text colours, adjusted to be in-gamut for CMYK printing. If anyone else happens to have a use for that, you're more than welcome to download it.)

The plan right now is for three decks:
1. A deck of 54 cards with the Island logo on the back, and the names of various features of Island life on the fronts, in addition to the usual standard reversible card-front images, with pips and all that. You'll be able to play regular card games with this one, and it will have the lowest price.

2. An ambitious 72-card Magic-style deck, also using the Island-logo back, with images and text on each card. Five suits, with A-10, K, Q, J, and I for Improbable, in each suit. Plus two Jokers, probably -- unless I think of something cooler to do with those two cards. This one... I'm going to need help with from other player artists, so contact me if you would like to have your art appearing in this deck! There'll be a free downloadable PDF that will credit all contributing artists. If someone wants to do a writeup on what games can be played with this deck, that can be included in the PDF too.

3. An authentic reproduction Trains deck of worn, battered old playing cards, as similar to the cards once appearing in the game as I can make them. This one will be a souvenir, not a playable deck: the backs will be individually dirtied like the fronts, and there will be no face cards. The backs will probably be similar to the image I posted at the beginning of this thread, but I haven't finalized the design yet. It will include a regular pass, a first class pass, a card like the fine leather card case, and it will come in a tuck box printed to look like the card case. (This one, I'm making because... hey, I want one! Anybody else who orders it, that's a bonus.)

Oh. And as I said earlier, any profits from this will be deposited directly, by the printing company, into the Island's PayPal account.

Profile Email
LydiaDefountain
 Thursday, April 25 2013 @ 02:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just poping in to pitch in how I would indeed like all the decks.. for some reason I don't see myself playing normal card games with them as much as using them while in rp... yep..

Profile Email
Kew
 Tuesday, April 30 2013 @ 01:59 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I have been told to toss my name in the hat for card art! So I will do so. Erm. Here.

http://kewdle.deviantart.com/

I would be delighted to draw a thing.

Wouldn't it be loverly?

Profile Email
rbead
 Friday, May 03 2013 @ 03:26 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I have also been instructed to go tossing names in hats, so here is mine.

http://ph33rtehcute0n3s.deviantart.com/

Profile Email Website
Full Metal Lion
 Saturday, May 04 2013 @ 04:51 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Any chance of a 72-card, authentic-looking, Train-backed, in-a-leather-case, with-the-passes deck that could serve, by removing any given number of cards, all of the purposes of the other decks?

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Saturday, May 04 2013 @ 01:45 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

Any chance of a 72-card, authentic-looking, Train-backed, in-a-leather-case, with-the-passes deck that could serve, by removing any given number of cards, all of the purposes of the other decks?

**choke**

(If you were serious: No, the decks are too different. But, once I have all the decks done I am going to look into whether it'll be possible to offer a boxed collector's set of all three decks. That'll probably be a yes, I just don't want to say for sure until I'm a little further into the project.)

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, May 16 2013 @ 06:43 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

If anyone wants to see how the Art deck is progressing, I've posted a page with card thumbnails here: Improbable Island Art Deck Thumbnails.

It's an epic joint project involving many Island artists. If you'd like to be one of them, there are still plenty of cards unclaimed.

Just let me know you want to be part of this. We'll take it from there!

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, May 30 2013 @ 07:56 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Progress continues!

Today I placed an order for a test deck of 18 cards with different images on the fronts and backs, to see what adjustments will be needed -- and I'm sure there will be some.

Also, remember the image that started all this, up at the top of the thread? Well, it turns out that was all wrong. Here's what the backs of those cards really looked like. Only dirtier, of course, since they tended to be found under bushes, on muddy paths, and under furniture.

Once I get the test deck back (which will be a while -- there's a queue for print, and then USPS shipping) I estimate it'll take me a couple of weeks to be able to offer the normal playable deck with standard card faces and the Island logo back.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, June 24 2013 @ 04:15 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Another milestone -- I have just ordered a proof copy of the 54-card deck.

We're getting ever closer to this one being a veritable, physical Island-themed cool thing that you will be able to hold in your hands, play real card games with, and show off to all your friends!

Profile Email
Anonymous: klein+a+tuin
 Monday, June 24 2013 @ 08:41 PM UTC  

hm... the list of costumers hasn't grown for a while so

1. i'd buy a complete set (all three decks), trusting it will be affordable Wink

2. if there are any other buyers in germany, i'd volunteer for the inland distribution (including shipment costs) of the first, lets say, 30 decks.

and then, aem... if it's still the plan, that one club will content weapons, is there a chance for a katana?
or maybe a skythe, swung by a figure in a leather trenchcoat? not too original, i know, but i just love the image Rolling Eyes

and for the non-playable-deck... how about making it usable for roleplaying? like the cards in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engel_%28role-playing_game%29

guess that might fit nicely with island motives.

Content generated in: 1.57 seconds
New Topic Post Reply