Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 A not-so-minor footnote to trains: CARDS!
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, June 25 2013 @ 02:59 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: klein+a+tuin

or maybe a skythe, swung by a figure in a leather trenchcoat? not too original, i know, but i just love the image

See, here's the thing about scythes, from a guy who knows perhaps more about them than is healthy.

They're not weapons.

They're not even nearly weapons. By no stretch of the imagination is a scythe suitable for use as a weapon against anything that doesn't keep its vital organs around where you keep your ankles. We can get away with having it as a weapon inside the Island because we don't go into specifics of how it's used, nor do we illustrate anyone trying to swing one at anything above knee level.

Of course, you could reforge the blade's heel and tang so that it was rotated 90 degrees and call the resultant mess a "War Scythe" when it's really just a curly spear (many peasant revolts throughout the ages actually did this), but that's something you do when your army is made up of farmers and you've got zero weapons but a buttload of scythes.

The image of a prettyhair anime boy swinging an unmodified scythe is only cool until you start to wonder how the wielder doesn't fall over, or how even if you could swing it at vitals-level, how wide and slow that arc must be. Scythes are heavy - even the new, aluminium-snath'd ones with Austrian steel blades - and unless you're five feet tall and three feet wide, you'd be leaning back while swinging the thing. The lethal area of a scythe is very small compared to its non-lethal area, and if one were to simply step outside of that arc during the swing, the wielder would take at least two or three seconds to slow the blade down enough to stop, drag it along the ground and heft it back up to have another swing at you (did I mention it's only useful swinging from right to left?), during which time the wielder would get seriously embarrassed. Hell, step inside the arc if you want - the sudden shift in momentum as the slow-moving snath bounces harmlessly off your side will certainly stumble your scythe-wielding opponent.

I love scythes precisely because there is nothing else in this world that has a razor-sharp blade over two feet long (yeah, they're not even much good as tools unless you keep them sharp enough to shave with), but which can't be used as a weapon. Smile

(but feel free to stick in an image of a guy in a leather trenchcoat and a scythe, as long as he's got a black eye and a nosebleed)

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: klein+a+tuin
 Tuesday, June 25 2013 @ 06:12 AM UTC  

Evil

gonna ask my large (!) sister to have a chat with her bony friend about how you dismount his image.

"prettyhair anime boy". pah!

Count Sessine
 Tuesday, June 25 2013 @ 04:09 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Death traditionally carries a scythe because he harvests souls. (Another one of those pesky metaphors, this one visual.)

If you're Death personified, and you've got the mojo to make all the myriad bones of a human skeleton hang together and move like a living human without the aid of any muscles, connective tissue or skin, well, most likely swinging an unmodified scythe as a deadly weapon would also be within your powers!

For other people, hm. Maybe not so much. I suppose it's kind of like a big awkward Stick with Nail.

P.S.: There will be a Leather Trenchcoat card -- the Four of Spades. Personally, I'd rather like the wearer of that armour to be wielding an Uzi, because, you know, cool. But that will be up to the artist who takes it on.

Profile Email
Anonymous: klein+a+tuin
 Tuesday, June 25 2013 @ 07:49 PM UTC  

funny, how physics should become relevant when the whole reality... to be kind: is build on a lack of it Wink

Quote by: Count+Sessine

P.S.: There will be a Leather Trenchcoat card -- the Four of Spades. Personally, I'd rather like the wearer of that armour to be wielding an Uzi, because, you know, cool.

nah. nothing cool about guns. especially automatic ones. no elegance, no style, no arts. fit for cowards Evil
anyway the trenchcoat was just a concession to sheilas small assortment of cloaks.
but never mind, it was just an idea.

ah, by the way: the grim reaper mows down the living as well. seems to work smoothly with a scythe when they are just weed.

Docenspiel
 Tuesday, June 25 2013 @ 08:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

P.S.: There will be a Leather Trenchcoat card -- the Four of Spades. Personally, I'd rather like the wearer of that armour to be wielding an Uzi, because, you know, cool. But that will be up to the artist who takes it on.

An Uzi-wielding Trenchcoat wearer would no doubt be cool, but I don't think it's very Island-y. What about one of the more ludicrous projectile weapons, like the Penetron or Devastator? If one submachine gun is cool, two attached to a chainsaw is even cooler.

Also, is the Spork getting its own card? Because it should definitely get its own card.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Tuesday, June 25 2013 @ 10:17 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

2. if there are any other buyers in germany, i'd volunteer for the inland distribution (including shipment costs) of the first, lets say, 30 decks.

Good thinking. The USPS price for sending parcels is ridiculous - far more than the cost of the decks themselves (Sessine's first estimate: $10-25 per deck). And that money doesn't go to the Island, the card-artists, or even the printers; just to USPS.

After a little research and some maths about sizes and weights (which admittedly may be wrong - and I'd love it if it was found that they're cheaper!), I came up with this:

Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate Box
$23.95
6-10 business days
Capacity: 8 decks = $3/deck if you order 8

First-Class Package International Service
$8.88 for one deck, on sliding scale ($63.66 for 40)
25-40 business days, non-trackable

Priority Mail® International Medium Flat Rate Box
$59.95
Capacity 40 = $1.50/deck if you order 40

For the UK, at least, it would be far cheaper for one person to take orders and then redistribute them via Royal Mail. Estimated cost for shipping one deck via Buddleia Delivery Services: $3+£2.60 = $7 = £4.55, depending on how many orders we can combine.

Oh, uh, better check - that is legal and stuff, isn't it?

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Ada
 Wednesday, June 26 2013 @ 10:57 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

2. if there are any other buyers in germany, i'd volunteer for the inland distribution (including shipment costs) of the first, lets say, 30 decks.

Good thinking. The USPS price for sending parcels is ridiculous - far more than the cost of the decks themselves (Sessine's first estimate: $10-25 per deck). And that money doesn't go to the Island, the card-artists, or even the printers; just to USPS.

After a little research and some maths about sizes and weights (which admittedly may be wrong - and I'd love it if it was found that they're cheaper!), I came up with this:

Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate Box
$23.95
6-10 business days
Capacity: 8 decks = $3/deck if you order 8

First-Class Package International Service
$8.88 for one deck, on sliding scale ($63.66 for 40)
25-40 business days, non-trackable

Priority Mail® International Medium Flat Rate Box
$59.95
Capacity 40 = $1.50/deck if you order 40

For the UK, at least, it would be far cheaper for one person to take orders and then redistribute them via Royal Mail. Estimated cost for shipping one deck via Buddleia Delivery Services: $3+£2.60 = $7 = £4.55, depending on how many orders we can combine.

Oh, uh, better check - that is legal and stuff, isn't it?

That's very legal - people group order clothing all the time. Just be aware that for anywhere in the EU, including the UK, if you're getting 40 sets of cards you are very, very likely to be hit by VAT and a handling fee, and possibly customs charges on top of that, so you'll be looking at more cost total than the figures you've given above. Items need to be under 15 GBP to get into the UK without these extra charges; I'm not sure about the Continent but it's pretty equally draconian. Items can be marked down and get through (this is not particularly legal), but if the value of the item is suspected to be marked down - and for a big box of saleable decks of cards, if they even bother to open it up, it will be - sales receipts will need to be shown by the sender to prove that the price on the box is the one paid.
The UK bills you 8 GBP for the privilege of having had your box opened by them. VAT is usually 20%. Customs charges vary so much it's difficult to even find out what they might be in advance - you just cross your fingers.

tl;dr you will get charged unless you plan out your mail fraud rather thoroughly, which is a bit dodgy. Simply shipping items to one person is 100% legal and very common.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, June 26 2013 @ 02:54 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Docenspiel

An Uzi-wielding Trenchcoat wearer would no doubt be cool, but I don't think it's very Island-y. What about one of the more ludicrous projectile weapons, like the Penetron or Devastator? If one submachine gun is cool, two attached to a chainsaw is even cooler.

Also, is the Spork getting its own card? Because it should definitely get its own card.

The Spork is definitely getting its own card. It's the Two of Clubs. There will be a fine assortment of the more unusual weapons included in the Clubs suit, from the Evil Ventriloquist's Dummy to the Elephant Gun, and of course, Chainsawchuks, and Fists -- plus whatever weapons artists choose to include in their illustrations on any other card.

I just thought, you know... Leather Trenchcoat. Kind of cries out for a touch of noir.

I also happen to think it would be awesome if the trenchcoat wearer could sport The Hat.

...but it's still up to the artist, not me.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, July 02 2013 @ 03:44 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Watch this space, folks. The first deck is almost ready to roll!

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, July 06 2013 @ 01:33 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Ta-daaa!

Now available, for the first time ever... the one, the only, the extraordinary Improbable Island Entropy Enhancer!

**cough** So, um, this is the first deck -- the one that you can actually play regular card games with. The card back is a small but functional Island map, and... well. You'll see. It's what I've been working on for the last while. Check it out!

Big Grin

Profile Email
Omega
 Saturday, July 06 2013 @ 09:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Aww, I don't like how Requisition in the ace of diamonds is shortened to Req.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, July 06 2013 @ 06:16 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

**innocent** Ah, what did you say?

Translation: I agree with you, it is better to have it spelled out in full. Thanks for pointing that out. The card has been changed!

Profile Email
Omega
 Saturday, July 06 2013 @ 08:02 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

No, nothing....Awesome!

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, July 07 2013 @ 10:32 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

There has also been progress with the Art Deck. Here is the current set of thumbnails. It is going to be quite extraordinary -- a labor of love from everyone involved.

Many thanks to the artists who have contributed so far:
Carlynne - Skronky Pot, Fly Catcher, Dan Quest, Midget Massage
Nadyanilo - Cat Launcher, Sheila, Suzie
Cherri - The Dancer, The Stranger
Rosemoo - Frilly Pink Panties, Dada the Ambulatory Printing Press
Shi - Titan
Zolotisty - Typo Gremlin

And special thanks to Rosemoo for tirelessly giving me expert feedback, critiques, advice, and valuable suggestions to help make all these cards truly beautiful. (Everything from, "Still too simple for a card back," to "Wait, I think that element is out of alignment. It should be moved left about two pixels!")

The deck will have 72 cards. 51 have been claimed, and so far, 20 of those have been done.

Profile Email
Red Hatter
 Monday, July 15 2013 @ 09:04 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

How am I just now seeing this? I love love love the idea! and the new train back is simply amazing. Mr. Green

One question, what is the quality of cards like? e.g. Do they have a plastic coating like rider-back cards? How springing are they? etc.

I do card magic, and though I'm going to get them ether way, I am trying to discover if I'll be able to use this deck for it.

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, July 16 2013 @ 02:07 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Red+Hatter

How am I just now seeing this? I love love love the idea! and the new train back is simply amazing. Mr. Green

One question, what is the quality of cards like? e.g. Do they have a plastic coating like rider-back cards? How springing are they? etc.

I do card magic, and though I'm going to get them ether way, I am trying to discover if I'll be able to use this deck for it.

Here's what the printer says about the cards:
All cards are die-cut, have rounded corners, and are printed in full color on both sides. All cards are printed on 12" x 18" heavy clay coated 165lb card stock and this gives them a nice texture and good heft.

So they're clay coated, not plastic coated. Sorry, I can't tell you if they'll work for card magic. Not my area of knowledge! When I googled, though, I found this site.

If your magic tends to tear through decks at one per hour of practice! then even if these cards do turn out to be usable for card magic, well, print-on-demand has higher unit costs than mass production. You, um... might at least want to save them for special occasions.

Profile Email
Red Hatter
 Tuesday, July 16 2013 @ 02:13 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Wow a deck an hour? I would like to see his routine.

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Monday, September 09 2013 @ 07:30 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

It's about time I gave you guys another update report about progress on this deck. Here's a current version of the thumbnails. Shaping up nicely, isn't it?

We now have 30 of the 72 cards completed. Here are the artists who've contributed so far:

Carlynne - Skronky Pot, Dan Quest, Midget Massage, Fly Catcher, The Watcher
Nadyanilo - Cat Launcher, Sheila, Suzie, Vivaan, Builder's Brew
Ebenezer - Fists, Evil Ventriloquist's Dummy, Yankee Bacon Suit
Cherri - The Dancer, The Stranger
Rosemoo - Frilly Pink Panties, Dada the Ambulatory Printing Press
Shi - Titan
Zolotisty - Typo Gremlin
Marlybaa - HyperRing

I've been doing some of my own illustrations, and a couple of times stepping in to add a background if the artist wanted me to.

I would really like this deck to be finished in time for people to be able to add it to their Christmas wish lists. THIS year!

So... if you have signed up to do a card, I am going to be coming around and, as tactfully as I can, reminding you to get that art to me. (Only feel guilty about it if you've found that helps motivate you to get moving -- otherwise, focus on the positive, about how you absolutely want to be part of something TOTALLY AWESOME that will be a LASTING PORTRAIT of this crazy, weird, wonderful, absurdly ridiculous Island we all love. Help me make it happen!)

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, November 10 2013 @ 06:32 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I would really like this deck to be finished in time for people to be able to add it to their Christmas wish lists. THIS year!

It's been two months. About six weeks ago I did a quick reality check and realized that, while, yes, the Art deck had made considerable progress, there was no way it could be ready in time for holiday wish lists. Too big a project, too many different people involved.

The Trains deck, however... that was just up to me. It looked doable.

Turned out, it was. There will be an announcement shortly...

Mr. Green

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, November 15 2013 @ 06:08 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Bump!

This update's a significant milestone for those who have been waiting, so I put it into my original post that started this thread.

Also, MoTD.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.64 seconds
New Topic Post Reply