Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Improbable Island: The Television Show
 |  Printable Version
Genevieve
 Tuesday, July 29 2014 @ 05:50 PM UTC (Read 5652 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

[03m05s]! X│Pirate Queen Carlynne's player says "I wonder how many episodes are in a Season of Improbable Island, how long they are, and what they're titled..."

I just had this thought in Global Banter, as people were discussing the previous seasons of the game. I remembered that yes, this game takes place as a TV show! So I wonder: What do you all think it looks like when it airs?

In my head, the Island is much too large and busy to be just one show on its own, shows like Survivor only ever had 30 contestants at the most, we've got hundreds!

So I figure the Network has an Improbable Island Channel, all to itself, and a premium channel subsidiary to house all its especially explicit content.

In my little imagination realm the Network has a few departments: Marketing, Production, Watchers, and Maintenance and Development

Maintenance and Development workers are the guys physically on the Island in the employ of the Network, the Failors, Sheila... Everything in Outposts that's run by the Network is staffed by the M&D team. Mainland, these guys are also responsible for coming up with new obstacles to add to the Island to make it more dramatic.

Watchers observe all the live feeds of the island and separate it into categories for easier viewing. There are whole sub-departments dedicated to certain characters, or types of behaviors, even clans. Hundreds of people in cramped, overheated rooms watching tiny flickering monitors and sending them off to Production. The Watcher herself, in my head, is the Department Head, the only Watcher on the island proper, who communicates directly with the Executives.

Production takes the feeds from the Watchers and edits them into coherent television. I imagine that a lot of the viewers at home aren't getting as 'live' television as they imagine!

Marketing then decides what airs when and pairs it with the most profitable advertising, y'know like a regular television channel

I feel like Primetime on Island TV would be the game-given plot lines, probably. When the Stranger was first released I bet that occupied prime time, and so on. I think saturday morning cartoons would be Rookie Time! The clipshow of new players being hilariously terrible and naked.

I bet the Pirates would have a show, but I have a feeling it'd go like this:

"Ahoy, I'm Carlynne, and this is PRAT." **Punches Dirt so hard he coughs up a kidney to raucous canned laughter**

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Saturday, August 16 2014 @ 07:30 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I feel like it might be one hour long show, airing every day, along with a regular two hour "special" slot every two months or so.

Format-wise? All too similar to 'Survivor': even the show itself makes a pretense at "reporting the war", but in practice, this actually breaks down to one fifth showing combat (never with the Drive)*, one-fifth Corporal Punishment and/or The Watcher commentating on the war and/or berating fenderheaded moves contestants, one-fifth just contestants going about their day-to-day routines, and the final two-fifths being we the contestants taaaaaalking about ourseeeeelves.

Why only one hour episodes, despite how MUCH the contestants do in a day? You've seen WHAT we do. Most of it ends up on the cutting room floor, being dubbed by some editor as being (even for network TV) "Entirely too silly."

*Which I imagine in full Futurama style to have cartoon sound effects added "to lessen tragedy".

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, August 17 2014 @ 10:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm glad that somebody else has answered this, it's something that I find quite interesting. I haven't thought to much about what the show looks like, I've vaguely imagined it to have its own channel which gets shown internationally 24/7. It will maybe have special shows focusing on different races/clans/anything else of interest.

The network itself has always struck me as having more to it than meets the eye. It's downright sinister! There's some sort of conspiracy going on. This may sound a little odd at first, conspiracies tend to be secret and hidden which is a little inconsistent with being shown on international television 24/7. But that's just the surface that you're seeing!

Consider: How much must this whole set up cost? Where are they getting the money from?
Contestants seem to be just kidnapped and brought to the Island. How are they chosen? Lottery? I'll bet that if they were to draw the niece of somebody important enough then they might draw again. In fact I'll bet that it's nothing like random. I reckon that there's a thriving business right there - People Disappearances for sale. Special discounts for certain key people, politicians and the like. More discounts for bulk orders. Discretion guaranteed. There's some serious skulduggery going on here. Once people arrive on the Island, they pretty soon forget where they came from, so they don't kick up too much of a fuss, the few rookies that do are easily edited out.

And people do forget rather quickly. The Island does seem to have these strange memory altering tendencies doesn't it? Which leads me on quite nicely to...

Those little bits of info that we the players have that neither our characters nor the world at large have. Those things that happen to you between defeating the Drive and restarting again. One of the big reasons that we conveniently forget so much is the Watcher breathing out some sort of something at us to make us forget even what race we are! We know that particularly inhuman piece of behaviour, but nobody else does. That side of the Watcher is kept very carefully secret from the world at large. Do the executives of the TV show know about this even?

And what these execs think of Improbability is another thing again. They know that the Drive is being defeated repeatedly on a daily basis by a variety of people, and nothing much seems to happen. Well they're watching. Testing. Experimenting. And our characters are the guinea pigs. Even the ones who choose not to go out looking for a fight so much and never face the Drive directly. What will happen to us? Who knows? All useful data perhaps for some arms manufacturer with a bit of imagination. Are you seriously trying to tell me that they'd just pass up on the possibility?

This is the core business I would suggest, the hope of building some sort of Improbability Bomb. This requires plenty of people to test and so matches up perfectly with the business of getting rid of awkward people. C'est Voila! And then, how do we hide all this? Right under peoples noses! So often the best way to hide anything at all. Make a TV show of it. And there you have it, a third line of business! Fantastic!

So yes. The TV show is just the surface. There's something vast and deep and unsavory at work here. That's my theory anyway.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Monday, August 25 2014 @ 12:01 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

I reckon that there's a thriving business right there - People Disappearances for sale. Special discounts for certain key people, politicians and the like. More discounts for bulk orders. Discretion guaranteed.

This is pretty much my character's entire backstory.

So basically what I'm saying is that I agree. When you really think about it, the entire premise of the reality show is a fucked up, gross violation of human rights and I love it.

You know, just like 'real' (lol) reality TV, I bet a lot of people outside of the Island think it's fake. That's exactly what they want you to think.

Profile Email
Lea.wolfsfeld
 Monday, August 25 2014 @ 12:45 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Ya know. I've been reading this and its got me thinking.

What about contestants who do remember? Contestants who remember watching the events of the island from the safety of their home? I'd imagine the camera would be quick to shy away from them if they happen to make comments like, "It wasn't anything like this on the TV..." And I agree about the island becoming something of a giant experiment. With the world still attempting to set up fast and widespread communication, its more than easy for people to missing and become overlooked.

As for the show itself? I feel it would be a case of them presenting what Harris mentioned. Though the ones shown on TV would likely be fresh rooks who might not have come to terms with how the island works yet and is still hopeful about their chances of leaving. Though I am curious to how the other races are presented. When th PC arrives on the island, they seem rather confused about the different races. And the canon joker is a rather unnerving creature that it seems little is known about outside of the island.

Also, time for my personal thoughts on the island. If I was dropped onto the island and saw all the contestants trying to make life comfortable for themselves instead of hunting the drive so they can go home, I would come to the conclusion that actually getting off the island is extremely difficult. Hell, sometimes I think the villagers are only there to push you towards the drive to improve approval ratings as well as get more data for the network.

Bah. At the end of the day I have a strange view of the island. Its often a very fun and silly place but it has shown that it can have a very dark undercurrent to it.

I'm prattling. I'll stop now.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, August 25 2014 @ 06:45 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

The Reality TV angle is something that happened because in 2008, I thought it was funny. Razz Keeping it going is less and less on my radar these days (S3's gonna ditch the organized-reality-TV angle, but replace it with the idea that the distress signals sent from the Island eventually morph into a diary of sorts, and given the lack of meaningful competition (there's still gonna be an EMP-like thing in which discrete circuitry is rendered unusable, although it's not gonna be from an actual EMP), the Island's distress signals become pop culture), but from what I remember of the original opening (I probably have the text somewhere, but buggered if I know where), the human player character is sitting at home, watching the show, and at the very end, the sparkle-suited host draws a lucky National Insurance number from a bag. The player character, slumping slack-jawed on her sofa in the traditional I AM WATCHING TELEVISION pose, has enough time to think that that particular number sounds familiar somehow, and then a bunch of massive blokes kick down her door and stuff a bag over her head.

And I look at the above sentence and wonder how I can call myself a writer, blagh, I don't care, not enough sleep. Down Below is nearly ready. SO, SO NEARLY READY YOU GUYS.

Profile Email Website
Trotsky
 Tuesday, August 26 2014 @ 04:31 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: CavemanJoe

(S3's gonna ditch the organized-reality-TV angle,

Trotsky needs to frown at this. Marker! MARKER!

"Ain't nothin' left to do, but smile, smile, smile" -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Tuesday, August 26 2014 @ 12:17 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The Reality TV angle is something that happened because in 2008, I thought it was funny. Razz Keeping it going is less and less on my radar these days (S3's gonna ditch the organized-reality-TV angle, but replace it with the idea that the distress signals sent from the Island eventually morph into a diary of sorts, and given the lack of meaningful competition (there's still gonna be an EMP-like thing in which discrete circuitry is rendered unusable, although it's not gonna be from an actual EMP), the Island's distress signals become pop culture), but from what I remember of the original opening (I probably have the text somewhere, but buggered if I know where), the human player character is sitting at home, watching the show, and at the very end, the sparkle-suited host draws a lucky National Insurance number from a bag. The player character, slumping slack-jawed on her sofa in the traditional I AM WATCHING TELEVISION pose, has enough time to think that that particular number sounds familiar somehow, and then a bunch of massive blokes kick down her door and stuff a bag over her head.

And I look at the above sentence and wonder how I can call myself a writer, blagh, I don't care, not enough sleep. Down Below is nearly ready. SO, SO NEARLY READY YOU GUYS.

I'm going to be terribly disappointed if there's not going to be a bit of side narrative about the Network trying to recoup continued losses thanks to the Island and try for a soft reset as a radio docudrama/mockumentary (complete with soap commercials).

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Tuesday, August 26 2014 @ 10:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Is there still gonna be a Network, or at least a Network standin? We need a shady, untrustworthy corporation (so basically just a corporation) to write conspiracy theories about. Frown

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Wednesday, August 27 2014 @ 07:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Genevieve

I just had this thought in Global Banter, as people were discussing the previous seasons of the game. I remembered that yes, this game takes place as a TV show! So I wonder: What do you all think it looks like when it airs?

We've talked about this a lot, you and I.

And I think I've said some of this here before in some thread somewhere.

The way I see it, all the views of the Island are correct. The one where people deal with the Network, the one where they don't. To me, the Improbability Drive allows for realities to be simultaneous and contradictory.

This allows me much greater freedom and less guilt as a writer working with lots of other writers.

I like thinking about the world off Island. What it would take to watch something like this, run it, the sort of people who might work for the Network. I like thinking about what those Failors do in their freetime, what sort of people they are, how they get recruited, how they get paid. How they stay or fail to stay out of the fray that is the Improbability of the Island itself.

I've written a lot about it, much of it dark. Much of it based on Props's narrator's take on the world off Island, that he did some co-writing with Refugee's narrator on an off-Island Blog thingy. (I can find you a link if you want it, it's buried somewhere. Sadly they never finished it.)

I envision tons of paperwork, redundant employees, red tape and bureaucracy.

A Brazil (the movie) style world that could possibly be efficient and excellent and creepy as all-get-out, but is in fact just another bad example of how the system DOESN'T work. Lots of loopholes and assholes and general fuckery.

There's a great line in the Horror movie Cube that feels Island-ish if you consider the Network part of it. "This may be hard for you to understand, but there is no conspiracy. Nobody is in charge. It's a headless blunder operating under the illusion of a master plan. Can you grasp that? Big Brother is not watching you."

That's the horror of the Network to me. Things are happening, money is being made, and embezzled, and there are action figures and advertisements and posters and it's a great way to distract everyone on the mainland from the fact that the last war totally screwed the pooch and half the people are starving or killing their pets for food. And yet no one is really driving the bus. It's just careening down the highway. Better stay out of its way.

Here's a little snippet of me curious about what it would be like to intern for that sort of Network. In my mind there's constant surveillance, multiple channels, the Network OWNS TELEVISION. This is of course, just my take on it.

*snippet*

"So..."

The girl leans back in a faded office chair, short black hair dusting over the back. The cubicle is small, grey. A wastebasket overflows with snack leavings, a poster of NewHome flaps in the breeze of an overloaded ventilation system.

Around it, rows of matching cubicles fill the large room, gawky, youthful faces glued to countless monitors showing footage from all over the Island, both new and old.

Dim, flickering fluorescent lights beam down. An ever present replacement for daylight.

Motivational posters line the far walls of the room with taglines like:

'This is just the first step on the ladder!'

'Imagine 100% audience approval'

'The Sky's the Limit!'

'Improbable Island now boasts over 120 channels of around the clock entertainment curated for YOUR NEEDS.'

There are no windows.

There are no clocks.

Vending machines huddle together near a set of double doors, neglected recycling container perched nearby.

*end snippet*

It goes on but it won't make much sense out of context.

Anyway.

Moo. As usual, I heartily approve any and all changes and moving forward and all of that good stuff. But as for me, I'm in love with the Network angle.

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, August 27 2014 @ 09:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Twosocks Monkey

...To me, the Improbability Drive allows for realities to be simultaneous and contradictory.

Just like real life then. Big Grin

The Reality TV angle is something that happened because in 2008, I thought it was funny. Razz

I suspect that most of this was, wasn't it? The same way that monsters are chosen, by "Is this amusing enough in some way or other?" rather than "How well does this fit in with a master canonical back story?" The likes of me then have fun trying to come up with coherent back stories. But there can be multiple back stories which don't have to be apparently or actually mutually consistent. That is entirely cool, in fact good I would say. It happens plenty often enough with monsters you meet, who on occasion don't even have you hunting in a jungle, but instead have you waking up with a hangover and facing two bears for example.

Quote by: Twosocks Monkey

I envision tons of paperwork, redundant employees, red tape and bureaucracy.

A Brazil (the movie) style world that could possibly be efficient and excellent and creepy as all-get-out, but is in fact just another bad example of how the system DOESN'T work. Lots of loopholes and assholes and general fuckery.

There's a great line in the Horror movie Cube that feels Island-ish if you consider the Network part of it. "This may be hard for you to understand, but there is no conspiracy. Nobody is in charge. It's a headless blunder operating under the illusion of a master plan. Can you grasp that? Big Brother is not watching you."

That's the horror of the Network to me. Things are happening, money is being made, and embezzled, and there are action figures and advertisements and posters and it's a great way to distract everyone on the mainland from the fact that the last war totally screwed the pooch and half the people are starving or killing their pets for food. And yet no one is really driving the bus. It's just careening down the highway. Better stay out of its way.

Here's a little snippet of me curious about what it would be like to intern for that sort of Network. In my mind there's constant surveillance, multiple channels, the Network OWNS TELEVISION. This is of course, just my take on it.

*snippet*

"So..."

The girl leans back in a faded office chair, short black hair dusting over the back. The cubicle is small, grey. A wastebasket overflows with snack leavings, a poster of NewHome flaps in the breeze of an overloaded ventilation system.

Around it, rows of matching cubicles fill the large room, gawky, youthful faces glued to countless monitors showing footage from all over the Island, both new and old.

Dim, flickering fluorescent lights beam down. An ever present replacement for daylight.

Motivational posters line the far walls of the room with taglines like:

'This is just the first step on the ladder!'

'Imagine 100% audience approval'

'The Sky's the Limit!'

'Improbable Island now boasts over 120 channels of around the clock entertainment curated for YOUR NEEDS.'

There are no windows.

There are no clocks.

Vending machines huddle together near a set of double doors, neglected recycling container perched nearby.

*end snippet*

YES! I hadn't really thought about it, but yes! That's exactly how I'd seen it! Any chance some of that might work its way into the wiki?

Quote by: Matthew

Is there still gonna be a Network, or at least a Network standin? We need a shady, untrustworthy corporation (so basically just a corporation) to write conspiracy theories about. Cry

I agree here as well. Preferably one run along the lines that Rose suggested, but something like it at any rate. Otherwise, how do new contestants arrive on the Island?

Down Below is nearly ready. SO, SO NEARLY READY YOU GUYS.

Yay!

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Wednesday, August 27 2014 @ 11:01 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey

All I can think of now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZkouut-9RQ

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Wednesday, August 27 2014 @ 11:07 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

The same way that monsters are chosen, by "Is this amusing enough in some way or other?" rather than "How well does this fit in with a master canonical back story?"

My personal head-canon is that those aren't the actual monsters that the contestants see, those are just network censorship/editing, because putting the the real monsters on television would quickly earn their show an X rating.

Gotta make it kid-friendly, sell the merchandise. I always imagine that the monsters the contestants see are terrifying, sanity-challenging beasts that only a machine that destroys the very concept of normal evolution could devise.

Nobody talks about it, though. Prevents all the sobbing and wailing.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Wednesday, August 27 2014 @ 11:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've long subscribed to the idea of the Malevolent Network theory like Hairy Mary described, probably for a good two years now. I explain away Trowa's first year-and-a-half on the Island as 'getting his bearings:' He didn't know what horrible mess he'd been dropped in, just believing everything The Watcher told him.

As for the television show itself, I, too, have to think there are entire dedicated channels to different aspects of the Island life, with the most prominent being the NewHome scene, with naked rookies being flung out of airplanes and thrown through Basic, handed sporks and shoved into the Jungle to fight lions and bears-strapped-to-the-backs-of-other-bears! That's just "survival reality TV" shows, though, because then we get into the romance dramas originating out of Kittania, the action-adventure stories of Cyber City 404 and New Pittsburgh, the sci-fi paranormal conspiracy serials from Pleasantville (with a bit of clever censoring by The Network to make all the paranoid characters look even more paranoid!), and the slapstick comedy routines of Improbable Central and Squat Hole! Of course there's plenty of bleedover to keep things interesting, as well as the flood of video from Places (Island After Dark Pay-per-View!) and the goldmine of nature showed surrounding the Island's improbable fauna!

I don't know which player originated it (and there's probably been a few different permutations of it by plenty of different people), but there's also the idea that certain characters have 'Handlers' on the mainland that try to direct story arcs for that character through the use of Network agents on the Island, all in the name of ratings. Because in the end, ratings are what matter! That's why the Failboat is such a punishment! (Until someone got the genius idea to stick a camera on the boat for the blooper reel.)

However, we've been in Season 2 for how many years now? Either the Island is really popular back home, or... the cameras don't do anything anymore, and the show's been off the air since Season 1 ended, leaving the Island to be little more than a penal colony / dump site for the unwanted!

Or maybe it's some mish-mash of all of the above. It's not like Trowa will ever find out until Season 3! (And even then it's not likely!)

EDITY: And Rose just totally made more sense than I did while I spent all day agonizing over my silly post. Smile

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Harris
 Friday, August 29 2014 @ 04:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I do hope you don't do away with the show, and the Watcher, and hell, even "Misery Guts" in the Comms Tent. I love the serious stuff you've been adding Joe, but I miss the `ipure fun`i discoveries. Even the new story of the Island (in the How it All Began exhbit) made me sad not just for the Doktor, but that we'd lost one of the most delightful portions of silly in the game.

The show idea is ridiculous. That's why it works.

It's a splendid setting and cast you've put together in the story, but it's getting very serious. Even Corporal Punishment has a serious story now. One of my favorites, don't get me wrong, but it's just another indicator of "fun for fun's sake" gioing away.

Please don't take the silliness away.

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Friday, August 29 2014 @ 10:03 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

When describing the Island to people I think might like it, I sketch out the basic premise of an out-of-control improbability engine generating strange monsters that players have to fight, but then the clincher is "And oh, by the way, the whole thing is being recorded and broadcast as a reality TV show."

That revelation invariably elicits a bark of laughter, and "This I've got to see! What's the URL?"

That said, I have faith in CMJ's sense of humour, Harris. If one outrageously silly juxtaposition goes away, it will surely be replaced with a different one, just as ridiculous or even more so.

What follows is pure speculation. It's not based on any inside info, only observations any player could make, and what I've seen about how changes have happened in the past. First: don't take anything CMJ says about S3 at this point as sure to happen. Some of it might be, we don't know, but quite often he changes his mind as he goes. His development process depends more on inspiration than planning. This may be unnerving for those who have to live in a constantly shifting work of art, but it is a good thing; it is how the Island has become such a quirky wonderful place.

I'm guessing that some things will stay the same. For instance, we have a lot of background and story development written for the Watcher which isn't likely to get rewritten entirely (though perhaps it'll be lightly edited), so she will still Watch. What she'll be Watching -- and why -- might be different.

S3 isn't going to be a continuation of S2. CMJ has promised that he'll keep the Season 2 server running for as long as anyone wants to log in to it. Anyone who likes it better can keep on playing. S3 will be a parallel world.

What I imagine is that we'll all be started off with new characters native to the S3 world, which will give us a basic grounding on how that world works... why the characters are there, what the mainland is like, etc. Then we'll have the option to import our S2 characters through some sort of time-space wormhole. They'll arrive with names, memories and personalities more or less intact, but they'll find themselves not quite in synch with the flow of Chance in this new world. It almost works for them, but they keep tripping over little unexpected differences. They'll have to start over! With, okay, perhaps a few small advantages over a raw rookie. Not many. But they are resourceful! They are Islanders! They know how to adapt to change.

Profile Email
Harris
 Saturday, August 30 2014 @ 12:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oo. That actually sounds better than a continuation.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, August 30 2014 @ 02:02 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

A lot of the stuff that I'm doing to S3, canon-wise, is getting rid of plot points that ended up with me painting myself into a corner, and replacing them with more open-ended ideas in which I (and you! Remember, the canon's there for your consumption and interpretation!) can be more ridiculous. So the canon will be more focused on Improbability itself, and how it can give rise to ridiculous things.

As for the writing currently on the Island - yeah, it's gotten more serious as time goes by, but I hope it's developed more heart too. Worth noting - I only write happy endings, and there are a lot of as-yet unfinished stories on the Island. If it's not happy, then it's not the end.

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Saturday, August 30 2014 @ 02:49 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Worth noting - I only write happy endings, and there are a lot of as-yet unfinished stories on the Island. If it's not happy, then it's not the end.

If my recollection of Shakespearean comedies is still correct, then it's only a matter of time before Jill and The Stranger get hitched! Big Grin

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Harris
 Saturday, August 30 2014 @ 03:52 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A lot of the stuff that I'm doing to S3, canon-wise, is getting rid of plot points that ended up with me painting myself into a corner, and replacing them with more open-ended ideas in which I (and you! Remember, the canon's there for your consumption and interpretation!) can be more ridiculous. So the canon will be more focused on Improbability itself, and how it can give rise to ridiculous things.

As for the writing currently on the Island - yeah, it's gotten more serious as time goes by, but I hope it's developed more heart too. Worth noting - I only write happy endings, and there are a lot of as-yet unfinished stories on the Island. If it's not happy, then it's not the end.

Dan, I love the way you write. On the silly side, I will always miss the Improbable/Harrowton logs as being an official part of the canon- they still make me smile that much. Cyber City shines(ha ha) now- what with their increased threat level texts, and... oh dear God, I love Waiterbot. His star shall never fade.

Drama? The Robots stories easily could've been creepy, but came out touching. The Stranger? Deliciously creeeepy.

As for the even more emotionally charged stuff: Stern and Punishment, and the Dancer? The only time I have found myself at odds with what you did do are a few the socio-politcal points that you've told us (in-game and clarified out of game). Turns out, we'd probably butt heads pretty hard if we ever sat down and talked such stuff. But. That being said?

The Dancer was quite good, and I fucking loved Stern and Punishment.

I can take or leave the show/the Network, I can. Same with Misery. I could even bid The Watcher a fond farewell if you axed her, but I am being demanding enough to say please, DO keep up the silly AND the serious in equal measure.

And thanks for what you've already given us.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.65 seconds
New Topic Post Reply