Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Creating a speciesist character on the Island
 |  Printable Version
Khroma
 Monday, March 14 2016 @ 05:57 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Alright, it's been a few weeks, but seeing as how wanting to reply to this post is what prompted me to finally make an enquirer account, I feel like I should actually do it.

I find that a lot of characters are speciesist, but not to an extreme. People who will outright refuse to talk to someone are rare, and I agree that that would be a bad way to play. But, characters who think all robots are heartless, or all squats are slobs? It makes sense, lore-wise, that there's a lot of them.

Anyway, my stake here is that my character could be called speciesist - but it's more of a superiority complex. He thinks that robots are better than anything organic, which itself is a robot trope. The reason I made him that way was so that he could grow. Speciesism is a flaw, and although (in my opinion, at least) it's crucial to have flawed characters, some flaws can make them unpleasant to be around. So it's necessary to find a balance: flawed, but not the kind of flaws that make the character make real-life players feel bad.

But, as an example as to how speciesism can be served as a tool to develop a character - Khrobot (I call him Khrobot because Khroma is generally the name I go by online) treats organic beings as flawed, but sees this as a fact and not an opinion. He'll go on about how synthetics are better, which can make him seem stuck-up and annoying. But he's willing to admit that organic beings do have some good traits, and his "superiority complex" is more of a front to tell himself he is better. He's over-correcting the fact that he doesn't feel like a real person and is actually deeply jealous of anyone who can easily say they are alive.

Despite all this, though, I generally play him as an awkward fellow who is really enthusiastic about learning anything and ineffectively tries to fit it. So I mean, while I like to occasionally face topics like a robot's sense of identity, I get that not everyone does, so I limit my roleplaying with strangers to be lighthearted until I know better what they're comfortable with.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, March 15 2016 @ 12:12 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Khroma, especially this line.

Quote by: Khroma

So it's necessary to find a balance: flawed, but not the kind of flaws that make the character make real-life players feel bad.

Also

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Another point: ...it's possible to use the wording of a comment line to tell readers, in context, that the narrator does not endorse what the character is doing or saying. You can also use this technique to indicate that your character is lying.

Perhaps someone else would like to chip in to illustrate how it's done.

"Squats ur uh 'ighly ruspuctud race un thu Oislund," Big Su deludes herself.

is an easy example.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.20 seconds
New Topic Post Reply