Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Rohit Part 3 Spoilers and Back-Patting
 |  Printable Version
Full Metal Lion
 Monday, June 04 2012 @ 04:47 AM UTC (Read 22141 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Minor spoilers for The Rohit Quest Part 3, and by extension parts 1 & 2, ahoy!

Simply put, what did you give Rohit as his program for being a good person? No rush, just, whenever you get around to it, copy your Distraction or text file to this thread. Later we can compare notes as to how he acted.

I'd start this off myself, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. So that honor goes to someone less lazy.

(Also, I declare this thread to be immortal, so all the responses in the future get gathered into one place.)

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Monday, June 04 2012 @ 10:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Eh, I didn't save the exact text I sent, but it basically boiled down to: what makes one likeable is that you'd even think to ask the question.

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Monday, June 04 2012 @ 11:46 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I want to send him the 'How to Make Friends' flowchart which Sheldon Cooper composed in Big Bang Theory, but can't figure out how to put that into a distraction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0xgjUhEG3U

Profile Email
IsaacW
 Monday, June 04 2012 @ 12:05 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I actually do happen to have what my distraction to him was, and his reaction was... well, amusing. Now, my distraction to him was a bunch of random garbage, as it was the GTalk statuses from my friends who were online as I sent it to him. I will not put those here, but his response was:

"Good day Irradiated Isaac. Your message confused me, but I converted it to assembly code and ingested it anyway. I sincerely appreciate your assistance.

I accept your program in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty, or even an implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

Yours sincerely,

Hindustan Automatics Model XB-9502, Serial 04f28c10, firmware version Unofficial 2.30

Or, if you prefer, your friend Rohit the Robot."

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Monday, June 04 2012 @ 06:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I too would really like to see other people's responses. Here's mine.

Rohit

To be liked. To be a decent human being. These are not the same thing. I've given you an instruction set that mixes both of these things to some extent.

1) Don't expect everybody to like you. There are some people who won't like you no matter what you do. It's not you, it's them. For an excellent example of that, visit Squathole.
2) Accept people the way they are. Don't try to change them.
3) Don't try to be liked. Like other people instead. That's far more effective. Treat people as ends in themselves, never as means to ends.
4) Be interested in people for their own sake.
5) Ask people to do you small favours. They are much more likely to like you because they have helped you than if you have helped them. This is known as the "Benjamin Franklin Effect" and information on this is probably in your data bases.
6) Help people when you can, but only when they need it. Don't think "How can I help this person?" If somebody is fine already, then that's good. Let it happen, no more effort needed. If they have a problem, then help with that. Remember, it's not about you, it's about them.
7) If and when you help people, don't worry about whether they notice you do it or not. In fact it's probably better if they don't.
If people like you, it means that they enjoy having you around. This in turn means that they're happier when you're around. Try and make people happier.
8) Let people decide for themselves what is good or not good for them. Don't make their decisions for them. Don't help people when they don't want it. If you do, then what happens is that they feel a debt a gratitude to you, and people don't like being in debt, especially if it's for something that they didn't want in the first place. People can only like you if they want to. Not if they feel that they ought to.
9) Don't just give people what they want or ask for. This might seem to work in the short term, but it's very short term and very superficial. The midgets will be all over you if you give them everything that they ask for. They won't genuinely like you, they'll just be using you. As soon as you've got nothing left to give, or if you ever need anything in return, then they'll be gone. You can't buy friendship.

I realise that these last two seem contradictory at first sight. I hope this doesn't tax your logic circuits too much. The resolution is to see both principles as when not to help. Not when to help.

As practice, may I recommend that you go and talk to the scariest and least approachable woman on the Island, and ask her where she gets her boots.

Good luck, and if I can help you again, then please feel free to ask me.

Yours truly

Alexander Quandle

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, June 07 2012 @ 10:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

OK. Is nobody else going to put up their program for Rohit? Was this just some ploy to lure me out into revealing mine while everybody else keeps their's secret? Confused With Matthew Wongo and Issac giving just enough away to tempt me out?

Let me know!

Profile Email
Trowa
 Friday, June 08 2012 @ 01:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I haven't written mine yet! Oops! It suddenly felt like homework, and I started procrastinating. And, well, you know how that goes...

(Incidentally, calling it "homework" is not meant as an insult a slight, just a remark about how important it feels to me, regardless of this being "a silly game.")

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Friday, June 08 2012 @ 01:26 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Was this just some ploy to lure me out into revealing mine while everybody else keeps their's secret? Confused With Matthew, Wongo, and Issac giving just enough away to tempt me out?

We'v been found out, boys!

Um... I mean "more people will probably eventually post here, when they get around to it." Yeah. That sounds plausible. Especially if I mention it on the quest page.

A suggestion for Wongo. Make your flowchart into a choose-your-own-adventure-style numbered list of instructions.

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Friday, June 08 2012 @ 02:13 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Trowa

I haven't written mine yet! Oops! It suddenly felt like homework, and I started procrastinating. And, well, you know how that goes...

I hadn't written mine, either, for similar reasons. However, this thread spurred me to get busy and write! Here's what I said:
I was a robot for a while. You do know that happens, yes? Some robots are former humans or post-humans, who may later be transformed to organics again as the result of close interaction with the Improbability Drive. I was one such temporary robot.

Each case is different, but I remember that I retained social interface routines that were excellent simulations of the social skills I had acquired in my previous lifetimes. What I did not have was the subjective experience of emotion. This was welcome, for my emotions at that time were painful. A period as a robot, during which I could analyse the circumstances objectively, lent me the needed distance; when I returned to the organic state I was better able to cope with the loss.

While I was a robot, those social routines served me well enough. I did not alienate people, nor frighten them. I believe some of them felt sorry for me, but they needn't have. Giving up potential joy, for a while, was an acceptable trade-off to avoid experiencing the worst of a very intense and personal grief.

I cannot re-create the code of those routines for you; as an organic now, I lack the translation logic. But there is no need. The task has already been done. To gain access to the code, you have merely to ask your new friend Mister Stern to let you read the memory card sent to him by the Council Office in Cyber City 404. I give you free permission to access the record therein of the personality routines that describe me.

If, on the other hand, you wish to understand fully what it is like to have emotions, words will not suffice. Nor, I think, will encoded memories from a chip. A memory is not the same as the thing itself. There is no substitute for experience; I would direct you to the Drive.

Rohit responded instantly, but alas, I too was informed that he was confused by this, so apparently it was not as clear as I hoped. Confused

Profile Email
Matthew
 Friday, June 08 2012 @ 05:55 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

With Matthew Wongo and Issac giving just enough away to tempt me out?

Only reason I didn't post mine was because I (regrettably) didn't save it before I sent it. Whoops.
Quote by: Count+Sessine

Rohit responded instantly, but alas, I too was informed that he was confused by this, so apparently it was not as clear as I hoped. Confused

I am almost certain he says that regardless.

Profile Email
Svergon
 Saturday, June 09 2012 @ 12:14 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

"As sight conveys, so too does it wish to convey by the sight of this other,

It must first bear relation, that the nature of the demeanor is inherent to the perspective presented to one, the facing forces response, even in the shape of innate forces and functions. It then must also support the value of seeming inadequacy, the one which embodies truth shines in a manner intolerable to those attuned to the shadows of uncertainty and fallacy. Inconsistent, and insisting often for their own sake over another, yet impeding their own path to impel the procession and progression of others as whim and consequence causes. It is insufficient to simply ration such ill-purposed, unaimed, and unassuming courses, there is some spontaneity to consider: abrupt consideration, or that inverted as both whim and choice vie for expression. And resignation too, for many would fall to the force of others' aims rather than defy, whilst some steer in contravention, aiming to oppose at all ends and means. The true measure of appreciation shall be found, as ever, in balance of these all aforementioned. Both deceitful and earnest, but as adjudged by personal value for that before itself. Both opposing and assisting, obedient and obstinate, yet by measures: few find favor for the truly volatile, those which waver swiftly from discerning to dissenting and around again.

So too: take aimless detours, favor occasions and collections. Take up crafting, and bestow such fruits as it may manage upon those acquainted. Yet it must hold itself in check on occasion, correct only as necessary the stating and muses of others. Fallibility is an essential segment which shapes the perspective of those bearing the pulse of life, uncertainty may well stand as a measure of those emulating these, or the truly resplendent. In addition, the anticipation of the one true certainty: the end of being. This shapes perspective most sharply, for it is a narrow gap in which one may impress upon surroundings, and such subjects as they would seek. As frame containing echo, it may be denied the avenues open to those of more imposing amplitude, and the imitation of these should seem hollow, or else. Clear aims may at times bar the route which proceeds, and progression is to be valued above all else, the pursuit of completion, never perfection. Perfection is above what such as this or that shall find applicable, and the pursuit impels ruination. But well minded progression should see it well, bit by bit, coming to be else than it is.

Here this one itself falters, for stillness has ever stood to the fore in its own standing, second only to the aiming. But the still serve no purpose, the truly impassive make no impression upon the entirety, there is no ripple upon the surface, no track to be seen for its treading. As stated, aims must on occasion be cast aside, so that it does not become stifled. As any thing, a balance to be kept, and an intermediary measure more preferable than extremes. It is not well to become emplaced deeply by any given course, though surely the path it treads must account for the failings of intent and application. And fail it must, for truths pass freely by the unladen aim, these which find their course to catch the focus of others shall in turn alter. Alteration is an ill sort, not to be missed for modification, a simple shift along a lateral line. Alteration accounts for the withering, a lessening of essential in the face of influence most improper and external. Yet again, there is cause to accept the input of external factors, for surely, one perspective does not encompass the entirety of truth, though addition shall find a greater measure.

Insofar as it may convey, it shall. The thrice associated,
Svergon"

I was hardly surprised to hear that it confused him, but I agree with Matthew that he likely has just the one set reply.

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Sunday, June 17 2012 @ 01:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I haven't posted my reply to Sir Rohit yet because...well to be honest I'm not sure who to reply AS.

See thing is, we have this excellent canon written by Mr CMJ. It starts with the intro page, and follows logically through all the plot points.

I really enjoy this story that we have. That he's written for us.

But...

I've thought long and hard about how to bring this up, but see, for the purposes of keeping a storyline, CMJ has written our canon self to be a certain sort of person. They seem to be from England, and have certain ways of thinking abou the world. I could reread all the canon stuff and pick out all the things that make 'CANON NPC' a specific character, but I don't see the point.

And I LOVE this. I love that you can (if you wish) follow canon and sort of extrapolate how your character would maybe somehow fit into what CANON NPC says during plots...or just read it for the fun of it.

I've never seen an issue with it. Any choose your own adventure style story or game is bound to give you actions, choices, etc, that maybe YOU wouldn't choose, but for the purposes of storytelling you can't write EVERY OPTION into such a story.

This third rohit plot, the one we're all talking about, it's got me all confused.

So far I've been happy to read canon and just have it be a side story to the Island. A sort of main storyline that my character isn't actually involved in. I've never had my character 'meet the stranger' or 'hang out with Maiko in the jungle'. I just read the canon and heart it and move on.

But Rohit requires me to make an answer. And I'm not sure who to answer as. Is it 'my character' as implied by the way Rohit address you 'In Character' in all the screens? Or is it CANON NPC, who I rather love, and have come to understand a little about.

So...that's why I haven't answered Rohit yet.

And yes, I'm sure I'm overthinking this, thank you all for pointing that out (I can see into the future obviously), but really, I'm stumped. What is the intent?

Does CMJ want to know who we AS PLAYERS think makes a good person?

We as CHARACTERS?

We as CANON NPC?

Who is Rohit really asking? And by extension, who is CMJ asking?

Muddled moo.

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Ada
 Sunday, June 17 2012 @ 02:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Do whatever you like! Reply in-character, reply as a player, or reply in the main character's voice. You're going to get the same answer from Rohit no matter what you do, even if you just fill the distract with nonsense. It's a game! Don't stress about it.
(Personally, I think replying in-character is more likely to be funny. No reason not to be funny.)

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, June 17 2012 @ 03:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Now this is where I'm quite lucky. I've got various alts, but the main one - the one who has gone through all the plot points - Alexander Quandle, is quite similar to me in a lot of ways (quite different in others) and also not too dissimilar from Canon NPC (I'm from England for a start). So I managed to do all three at once. I'm thinking of farting around with Biggs and seeing if I can get this quest, and then replying as Biggs. Which would be a very different response.

But then Biggs is a different character altogether. He wouldn't have befriended a mere 'mutul'ed' in the first place. More likely to have kicked him and stormed off in fact.

So Rose. Do whatever you find most interesting/fun.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Sunday, June 17 2012 @ 03:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey
I've thought long and hard about how to bring this up, but see, for the purposes of keeping a storyline, CMJ has written our canon self to be a certain sort of person. They seem to be from England, and have certain ways of thinking abou the world. I could reread all the canon stuff and pick out all the things that make 'CANON NPC' a specific character, but I don't see the point.
Oh, yeah! I like to call that guy"you". You's got a wiki page.Wait a minute, you could read over all the canon? Where are you keeping it?

And yes, I'm sure I'm overthinking this, thank you all for pointing that out (I can see into the future obviously), but really, I'm stumped. What is the intent?

Does CMJ want to know who we AS PLAYERS think makes a good person?

We as CHARACTERS?

We as CANON NPC?

Who is Rohit really asking? And by extension, who is CMJ asking?

You're overthinking this (you're welcome). Rohit is asking your character. It'd get boring if everyone answered the same thing, which they would if they were answering as you. They'd all be something soul-searching and meaningful, and entirely the same brand of stupid as eachother. Besides, CMJ wouldn't have us throw our characters away in exchange for a character we know very little about. If he wanted you to write something, he'd have written something for you to have written. Futhermore, it isn't as players, because that's just silly. Razz

Profile Email Website
Ada
 Sunday, June 17 2012 @ 05:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

But then Biggs is a different character altogether. He wouldn't have befriended a mere 'mutul'ed' in the first place. More likely to have kicked him and stormed off in fact.

This is my problem. Ada wouldn't have kicked Rohit (at least, I don't think so), but I don't think she'd have had much patience for the whole plot. I started writing it, went "wait, why would she care about what makes a good person?" and put it down. I'll come up with something... eventually...

Profile Email
LydiaDefountain
 Sunday, June 17 2012 @ 10:30 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ya.. I haven't come up with what to Write yet.. mostly because.. well due to dark's technophobia.. she would have likely run far from Rohit.. if not the first time then by the second or third time as her phobia was progressed by even more bad experiences with robots in story...

I have no idea what to write at all if from her perspective..

Profile Email
Laser Towel
 Monday, June 18 2012 @ 09:14 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey

CMJ has written our canon self to be a certain sort of person. They seem to be from England

You don't say...

On that note, I haven't written Arthur's up yet. I'm still trying to decide what to say. I might put a copy up once I've finished it. No promises.

Dent

Profile Email
Nekops
 Wednesday, June 20 2012 @ 09:01 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Unfortunately, I didn't save a copy of my message to Rohit... but here's the gist of it.

There are three kinds of Virtues, I told him. All three sorts of Virtue are required to be a good, likeable person.

There are Virtues of Power, which make you effective at what you do, but grant you no moral alignment. Virtues like Courage, Dedication, Thrift, and Perseverance all fall under this heading.

Then there are Virtues of Direction, which constrain your choices but help define you as a good person. Honesty, Generosity, Mercy, and Fair Play are some examples of this.

Lastly, there are the Virtues of Tact. These basically boil down to telling polite lies, not stating the obvious when it would be embarrassing for someone else, pretending to be interested in their day when you are not, and just generally making people comfortable. I went into this class of virtue in great detail, as it is the one that Robots seem to lack.

Congratulations, Improbable Island. You managed to make me add a third category to my concept of the Virtues... and it's chock full of lies. :-P

Profile Email
Trilonias
 Friday, August 10 2012 @ 06:58 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Arg, I was doing the final leg of Rohit (with only 5 DKs under my belt, HA), and I copied my text after sending the distract, came here... and then had to setup an account here as well... slowly worked at it while still playing... then... I forgot about my copied text! Now that I'm here, I've already lost the text and I'm just going to say that Rohit's return distract is the same for everyone.

...Right. I'm off.

This is Trilonias, signing off!

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.13 seconds
New Topic Post Reply