Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Rohit Part 3 Spoilers and Back-Patting
 |  Printable Version
Nem
 Wednesday, August 15 2012 @ 06:48 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Now I suddenly feel inadequate... Maybe I should've thought about this more. Oops!
My message was basically "don't take it too seriously, think about others and learn from your mistakes and successes".

Profile Email
Xorbius
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 06:38 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I found this all interesting - coming up with not only a good answer but a good answer in character. What would TT say ?

Well, my friend, I have given your question of what makes a good person some consideration, and the longer it is pondered the bigger the question gets.
Something that big should be bloody obvious, hmm?
In the end I went for what you might think of as a bit of mental colonic irrigation in order to sift through the mind poo for things worth
chewing over a second time as it were, heh ?
You see humans are cast forth "from between urine and filth" as the monk put it. That is, we are but the stuff of rude matter, changed by History to something
only slightly better than mere self-replicating machines of Chemistry. For chemistry is all it is, from the first cell to the complex symbiotic cell cities that
we call complex life.
Good heh ? We are all good loveable people ! When Torcharmada, or whoever it was, offered the screams of his tortured heretics lovingly to his god, or gods, I forget
which, he likely believed he was doing good. The dictator who ordered the end of his rival country's inhabitants down to the last woman and child was loved by his people for the
good he did for them, no doubt.
You see, 'good' looks very different depending on the angle from which you view it, heh ? It is a human concept that exists not in the universe.
You won't find anywhere an atom of good, of justice, of love - and yet humans act as if these things are real ! Remarkable !
But ! we have no innate understanding of our own creations. Damn, we have no understanding of our own human minds ! You wouldn't believe, Rohit, just how many schools of thought
there are on human psychology or even origins. We arrive blind in all faculties and are taught to think by those who did the same but previously, taught in turn by those earlier still.
So how can you be good, loveable ? By seeking good, good actions, good being, even if the idea of 'good' changes, I guess, heh ?
Thor leans forward, beckons the robot closer as if to whisper a secret,
"ROHIT WHERE ARE YOU !!!" he bellows.
You are there ! You know where you start and end, you exist in a point in Space ! An infinitessimally small fragment of the universe, Heh ? I say fragment!
'At the first not a thing is', heh ?
You are a sentient, Rohit. Self awareness, like the Humans. And you too share in the Doom of sentients. Here I am - there is the rest of the universe ! Even if you Robots
have a group mind, it will have an end, an edge. Sentiency, self awareness is the ultimate lonliness. And all things pass away, all is change. Sentiency is a mere expediency
of organic survival that happened. Just happened. It's not needed, other life forms have maintained species continuation from the very first life 'til now without it.
You robots seek order, patterns, sense. Alas you were first designed by Humans and so were given the Mind Humans thought best, for they are tied to their own
Humanity and can only think in the ways that their own limited boundaries will allow.
Where are you ? Like humans you only know the universe by the input from your detection and input systems. Where does that information gather ? What is at the centre ? What is there Rohit,
in that place that you are looking from ?
Find that place and you'll find me, too. All Sentient beings are there, Rohit, all living things, all things meet at the centre. You stand at the centre of the universe !
The Axis Mundi !
There in the void you will know the thoughts of the very rocks. There the idea of 'good' and 'love' will stand bare revealed for what they are, heh ? "In the sea of Ise ten thousand feet down
is a rock. How can I get it without wetting my hands ?" Ha haaah !
Thor is convulsed with laughter. Between splutterings he manages a "I'm glad to have helped you, my friend"

Profile Email
Harris
 Tuesday, September 25 2012 @ 10:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well put, Xorb. Well put. Mr. Green

HM, Nem - I fell in with the two of you, really. One, for the fact that Harris' answer was simply the *one* point that I could distill from every response I got from the NPCs, and two, for the fact that it was a one-sentence reply:

"The answer to the question of what makes a good person is this: honesty and loyalty."

I return you now to anxiously budget planning so's we can get our very best Caveman back into writing fit for the next segment(s?).

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Friday, October 19 2012 @ 08:05 AM UTC  

So, after many, many months, I finally wrote Rohit's program. Allow me to resurrect this thread to share it with you.

From Esc's IC point of view:

So, I thought a whole lot about what makes a person loveable and I thought of some advices for you. Except I don't know how to make a program, so I hope maybe you can make one out of a letter.

The first advice is you have to always be yourself! If you know what stuff you like, then you should do it. And if you know what stuff is important to you, then that is what is important to you, even if it isn't to someone else. And if maybe you are sometimes rude, or sometimes shy, or sometimes very confident, or one of those all the time, or some of those all together, then that's okay too, you should be whoever you are on the inside.

The second advice is that if you want people to like you, then you should be nice to them. Not like you have to hug everyone and tell them lies so they are not angry or sad about what you think about things, but that you got to be polite, and think "if they are sad right now, then maybe they don't want me to tell them they're stupid even if that's what I think, because then they will be more sad." You got to remember that you would feel better if people were considerant of your feelings and what you want, so you should be considerant of their feelings too. People always like someone more who is respectful of them even when they don't agree.

So even if it sounds like one advice is against the other, you can always still be yourself if you at least don't be mean about it to others. Even if you think something mean, then that is okay if you don't be mean to the person. Be honest, but try being polite, and respecting of everyone else's feelings too.

There is someone I know who is rude and shy and frowns a lot, but I love him still anyway. Even if you are not the best person in the world, someone will love you still anyway as long as you are you, and you know who you are and all what is good and bad about you.

Love, Esc

Albert Wesker
 Thursday, October 25 2012 @ 12:38 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

This is what I wrote, in-character. I feel terrible because I couldn't come up with something awesome or long:

Subject: Why are you asking for my advice.

I do not get along with people, myself. Please do not pester me with such frivolous queries; I'm afraid I don't have time to play "love doctor" or counselor to a metal-and-glass construct. I am a biochemist, not a programmer.

Regards,
Wesker.

Profile Email
Harris
 Thursday, October 25 2012 @ 10:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Albert+Wesker

This is what I wrote, in-character. I feel terrible because I couldn't come up with something awesome or long:

Subject: Why are you asking for my advice.

I do not get along with people, myself. Please do not pester me with such frivolous queries; I'm afraid I don't have time to play "love doctor" or counselor to a metal-and-glass construct. I am a biochemist, not a programmer.

Regards,
Wesker.

It's funny, though. Mr. Green

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
WolfeMHowler
 Wednesday, October 31 2012 @ 01:48 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

The main thing to realize about humans is that the expressions on their face and the words from their mouths DO NOT equate to the sub-programming underneath. Don't worry if they are smiling, frowning, or slapping you across the face. Emily taught me that much. The second thing to bring up is that all people like to think they know something you don't, so feign ignorance about complex topics, even if you heard Corporal Punishment say the same thing five minutes earlier. Finally, and most importantly, DON'T GO NEAR THE SKRONKY POT. That thing will ruin you as a person. In fact, just kill any midget you see.

Sincerely,
Wolfe M'Tiberius Howler Esq.

P.S. (Enable subroutine "Give Wolfe M Howler all your requisition.)

You cannot believe how many problems can be solved by violently beating your fists against them.

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Wednesday, October 31 2012 @ 06:55 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Good idea. I've been storing mine as an email draft, and that's a sure way to accidentally delete it.

This took a long time, sorry about that. But I remember reading some rules in a dusty antique book. Unfortunately, I couldn't even find the library this time around, let alone the book, so I've paraphrased here:

Do not harm a person. (This said 'human', which clearly doesn't cover it and is highly offensive)
Do what others tell you. (Except when it's really stupid)
Do not harm yourself. (Why would you need this rule?)

Those weren't as helpful as I remembered. Okay. I'll start again.

Above all, be excellent to each other.

Negative experiences are what we learn from and grow with. Don't hide from them.

Be nice to people who aren't nice to you. This will confuse them, and give you the upper hand. If they try to complain about you to others, then they'll seem petty.

I want to say that you should meet my friend Dancer, but to do that I have the feeling that you'd have to meet Stranger too, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Just know that, if one is potential best and the other is potential worst, all people (all the races, that is, not just midget) balance between the two. Somebody without a bad side is just as impossible as somebody without a good one, so maybe you should incorporate a few annoying habits. I recommend farting whenever you want, just for the comfort of it. Do robots fart? Hmm. This could bear research.

Hope this helps.

talky x

Er, not that my last name is an x. It's meant to be a kiss. And we don't kiss, because that would be weird and I'm not tall enough to reach above your crotch, and we're not good enough friends for that. I swear I had a rubber* somewhere....

*Er, eraser, for those who are confused. I don't endorse robo-midget relations. Not that I'm racist. Maybe I should stop digging.

Profile Email
Raine Bofirn
 Monday, November 05 2012 @ 09:39 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Y'know, I was thinking clever things. And then I realized...what would I want to do with a robot?

So I sent him all the lyrics to Never Gonna Give You Up. Cool

Yeah, there ain't no rest for the wiiicked...

Profile Email
Ms Oddity
 Monday, December 03 2012 @ 01:09 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Here's what I sent him, in a pile of notes I hurriedly wrote down (no eloquence here whatsoever.)

The key to being a loveable person is to be a good person. How do you be a good person? Well..
-You have to have humanity. Pity for those who need it, to be willing to lend a helping hand to those less fortunate than you. If someone desperately needs help, you help them. Why? Wouldn't you need that help if you were in that same situation? Wouldn't you want someone to help you? Then you do it. It's all about karma.
-You have to have patience. For those you love and for those you don't. You have to be willing to try to understand, to pick them back up when they fall down. Understanding is a big part of being human. If we didn't at least try to understand things, then what would we be? We wouldn't have curiosity, and I dare say we wouldn't even be living anymore.
-You have to have humor. Laugh at life. Don't be a dick, don't take everything so seriously, just make sure to at least try even in the face of imminent death.
-Humanity is freedom. Being free to do as you choose, to become whatever you wish. Humanity is a chance at disaster and triumph, at death and potentially immortality in the lives of those who still yet live. Humanity is never giving up, because you will always have that freedom- whatever you may happen to believe. Humanity is becoming everything you could ever want to be, living up to your complete, full potential as a being. Humanity is following your dreams, following your wishes, reaching for the stars and watching the evanescent light filter through the cracks in your fingers.
-Wisdom. Being wise, always attempting to become smarter even when you're currently the empty-headed one of the group.
-Even if you end up terrible, at least always try to become better. Never, ever give up on what you've been destined to do. Because this is you, and you can always change what you've become. You can always change.

Have ethics, humor, smarts, being alive and awake to life in general (Note the shine of the stars, the glimmer of hope in her eyes.) Define human. Define humanity. It's your choice to become ALIVE in the face of life instead of denying all that is.

Still Alive,

Ms Oddity

...And, he replied that he was confused as well by my protocol. But then again, I didn't really expect him to understand it.
(Heh, I'm actually glad we have this quest on a site comprised almost entirely of writers or avid readers. I bet all the Mods and whatnot have read through some interesting protocols!)

Profile Email
Denealus
 Thursday, January 10 2013 @ 05:18 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Heh. I went with what Den thought. Den wouldn't know how to word it. Den's a little lazy, but thoughtful. So he went out and asked various people. "Big ones" had him confused. As did the whole conversation of confidence and panties. And then it finally hit him.

He'd ask the Watcher.

She'd told him word for word what to say to Rohit. It sounded good enough to him.

"Go and talk to the scariest and least approachable woman on the Island, and ask her where she gets her boots"

God speed, little Rohit.

Profile Email
Bedlam Beersie
 Sunday, January 20 2013 @ 02:46 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I asked various peoples at various locations for advice, and I tried to boil down that advice to the most comprehensible terms while still attempting to respond in character. The following is the result (and Denealus, you'll probably recognize number 11):

I don't really know why you'd ask me what it takes to be likeable. Before I got to this island, I was a vandal, brigand, highwayman, and all around nuisance. Most people wanted me dead before they even got a chance to know me, and something about the look in my eyes kept the more timid folk away from me.
That being said, for your sake (and possibly for my own), I decided to ask others what they think about the question, in the hopes of making myself a more likeable person as well.
According to the people I asked, the following are good qualities if you want to be ideal, or at least likeable.
1. Be yourself, straightforward, honest, and not duplicitous.
2. Accept people for who they are.
3. Be confident.
4. Reassure others, and be empathetic and understanding of their needs.
5. Don't be a dick!
6. Don't take yourself too seriously.
7. Have patience.
8. Share your life with your loved ones.
9. Respect all life, and, if you must end a life, end it with dignity.
10. Be generous, and have a giving spirit.
11. Go and talk to the scariest and least approachable woman on the Island, and ask her where she gets her boots. It will be good practice for you. It will show that you have fortitude of character.
Most of what the people on the Island told me sounded like very good advice, and I actually follow up on it myself, to see if it makes me a more likeable person. The only advice that I can't follow is some advice that the medic at the Hospital Tent gave me. He said that what makes somebody loveable is: "Great big tits, an' a fanny like a bucketful o' worms." If you happen to be able to follow his directions, I know more people will try to find you loveable.
I hope you are able to parse this information in such a way for it to be helpful, and, in any case, I look forward to seeing you again.
Your friend,
Bedlam Beersie

I gathered advice from the following people: Corporal Punishment, Sheila, eBoy, the Hospital Tent, Maiko, The Hunter's Lodge, and The Watcher. I know it's probably not the most original nor the most interesting way of having done it (Xorb, I loved your philosophical discourse, and talky, don't think I didn't notice and delight in the Three Laws of Robotics in your example), but traveling and reading the ways that different NPCs responded was part of the fun for me.

"Old habits die hard; bad habits take people with them." - I said it, just now! If you're going to quote anybody on this one, quote me!

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Tuesday, January 22 2013 @ 11:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Took me almost a year. In the end, my answer was short.

To: Rohit
Subject: Program
Sent: 2013-01-22 23:19:57

Listen to people.
Assume everyone is lying half the time.
Do your best to be honest without hurting anyone.

Not genius but, it's what I sent!

Big Grin

-moo

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, January 23 2013 @ 02:22 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey

Listen to people.

But, but... that's three statements. You are part of 'people'. And you are part of 'everyone'.

If statement 2 is not a lie, then 1.5 of the other two statements are. He will try to parse how either of them could be half-true.

Even worse: If statement 2 is a lie, then it cannot be a lie!

What's a poor robot to do? You will drive him mad!

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Wednesday, January 23 2013 @ 02:33 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

No, statement 2 is clearly a lie. People lie one third of the time, not half of the time.

I'm the best at logic!

Profile Email Website
shadowkin
 Thursday, January 24 2013 @ 05:04 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Shadowkin got kind of...srs bsnss...

`&Shadowkin stares at her blank paper for a long time. She's never particularly wanted to mold a personality and doesn't feel suited to the task. It doesn't seem like the kind of task one could turn down and avoid sending the wrong message. She sighs heavily and sets ink to paper.

`@"My friend Rohit,

You have tasked me with compiling directives for you in an effort to be both 'well-liked' and 'a good person'. You seem intent on assimilating what I have to offer you by way of advice, and so I won't waste our mutual time trying to assure you I'm not the person to come up with these directives. But I'm really probably not.

I did much research with many a knowledgeable individual around the island to try to find the best answer for you, and their contributions to the effort were goodly and many. They suggest a good person is true to oneself, does not let the perceptions of others undermine their confidence. A good person is one who values life in all forms, is aware that all beings exist in a state of conflict with others, acknowledges this conflict and does their best to minimize its impact. That we all compete for resources simply by `ioccupying space`i and that where we stand someone else could have been."

`& Shadowkin pauses, wondering how she's managing to mangle other's sentiments so much. She continues writing.

`@"I'm not getting their sentiments correct, Rohit, because language is such an inefficient thing with which to transmit ideas, and yet it is the only thing we organics have available to us. We are all painfully aware of our shortcomings, you see. Our inability to get things across to one another `ijust right`i. We do our best, but ultimately we are all alone in our heads, disconnected and constantly attempting to bridge that gap."

`&She pauses again, head in her hands. After a few moments she continues once again.

`@"Your noble goal of worldwide robot/human integration is a great one, but I don't think I can help you with that, Rohit. I don't know how to make robots more approachable to humanity as a unit, but I think that starting here, on the island, being a more likable or a better person is a very different goal. I think that on an individual level, here and now, you just need to shift your perspective a bit. I once read that what makes someone a good person is having the quality to ask whether or not they are a good person. Self referential accountability testing, as it were. You already have that, Rohit, as you've gone to such lengths to improve relations already. I think you also have been spending a lot of time observing the differences between us, cataloging our intricacies and inconsistencies."

`&Shadowkin runs her fingers over her eyes for a moment, deep in thought. She feels her pulse and breathes deep.

`@"I think you need to bear in mind that every contestant on the island was once something else. That we're all followed by a shadow of something vastly different, some half forgotten dream world that we once lived in where we tallied accounts or fought wars or experimented with biochemistry or nuclear physics. Or that we once had fur or undying flesh or glowing green eyes or spare limbs or angry little dispositions. And I think you also need to remember that we are ephemeral compared to you. That our flesh fails us, our organic processors slowly grind into inefficiency, and that our slow inefficient memory units constantly delete information we probably need to make way for whatever new observations we are making. And I think you need to observe the good we can still sometimes do, despite such terrible inefficiencies."

`&Shadowkin reaches deep into her memory for a moment and pens her final lines.

`@"In short, Rohit, if all the rest of this seems incomprehensible or tangled or wild or contradictory. It probably is, because that's just how we work. But my suggestions, if you can draw nothing from the rest of this, are as follows:

While (functioning())
{
Observe(situation)
if(situation.pain||situation.sadness)
{
try(help())
}
else
enjoy(situation)

log(situation)
}"

`&She sighs again as she watches, for better or worse, her advice leave her hands and head towards its recipient.

...*runs away and hides*...

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Friday, January 25 2013 @ 02:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey

Listen to people.

But, but... that's three statements. You are part of 'people'. And you are part of 'everyone'.

If statement 2 is not a lie, then 1.5 of the other two statements are. He will try to parse how either of them could be half-true.

Even worse: If statement 2 is a lie, then it cannot be a lie!

What's a poor robot to do? You will drive him mad!

*CACKLES EVILLY*

PS: This the problem with artist brain trying to parse Rohit brain. Fail.

-moo

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
RP Whistle
 Friday, January 25 2013 @ 11:06 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I always have viewed the story structure as a solution to CMJ "having" to custom write each storyline based on character concept. To me, the unnamed protagonist in these stories represent a sort of Everyman's Tale that is the core concept of II. An ordinary person finds themselves in a surreal and sometimes frightening environment and tries to adapt to their surroundings. For many players, that is how they start out the game and develop their character through the many changes that go with Drive Kills so it more or less works. That said, since I play a character who from the outset represents something far and wide from the Regular Sort I like to custom tailor the storylines with a personal spin.

The Rohit one, however, presented a challenge for a character who is arguably the Worst Person on Earth. Mr. Whistle didn't want his notions on the human experience to spark the Robot Apocalypse (denying him the rightful credit in the process), so he decided to farm it out to the only person he could think of pure enough to give an unvarnished view. Without further explanation, the soon to be award winning essay Wot Ets Oll Aboat. (Warning: If you can't read Phonetics, you're going to have a hard time)

Dis ere is Glad Hand Mick. The Vicah tole me ta roit yehs wit sum essey bout ow et es. Vicah sed summin bout yehs not propah arta dahkness meteriel er summin bet he leff Ol Mick wit some benngersn mesh so ahm choofed to ell. Bin ages sense Ol Mick ad a propah meal forra Splet cuzza ain sposed ta be wherra camras n sooch but dis a bitta awrigt. Stell got sum meety bets en et fore da Vicah swiped et fer Ol Mick. Propah buggah dat un ess. Sez e gonna let Ol Mick sell sesshens unda tha bleachas so de propah sesshens blokes doan grass on me. Cor des pless em propah posh. Gotta lotta noice bets ere so effen ya wantuh Mick ta getcha sum valyabul gent shite ken coocha en fer therty. Oid go twenny foive bet me stell enna hock ta Nice Mike fer me fridge doah an et keps the chell oat wen et rains en et geffs yeh some proivecy wen me geffen De Missus a poke. Owsabout twenny foive anna letcha haff a poke atta Missus. Me jess felled oop de boattle en cor bet des es a propah pen. Fells loik a roit propah keng wit des__--------- ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me doofed oop det lass bet. Bless.

Gess me bess stert atta beginen. Fore dere wuz da kat fanny farm up enna cahntree an eefen fore det ole cow julee been coppin poontahs wet two ceggs fora bitta Ows Yer Fatha dere was Ol Mick. Mebbe yeh wunnerin wots me secret wull oil tellya. Quiot. Degnety. Yeh ken buggah oaf anywerr an get a toog an roob. Yeh ken ave sum powdahed oop pigeon to geff ya ah Dooble Dootch. Da oald Oitallian Andshake. Mebbe a Femmly Doag. Two anna haff getcha with Ol Mick some noice Quiot Degnety. Ah fex ya oop. Ah ken coo et et loik essa dove oal OOER ESSEN YEH A ROIT PROPAH JON TOMASS AINCHA. Yeh caint get thet nowadas. Jess pay fer a poap an bugger aff. Nawt wit Ol Mick. Yeh moit ask why me chahge haffa foive. Me first coostamah avin a hahd time so ah tellsim "oi we coot et en aff en we boths es appy". Ol Mick es a reglah Keng Sallamen, ay? Turns aht da geez rooked me. Jess a bitta booten. But sense dat day, me nevah raised da proice. Cuzza me Quiot.Degnety.

Gotta ava shite. Now Ol Mick ain abova bitta charety so effen ya wunna fex me oop Ol Mick ken fex ye oop if yeh get me driff. Tellya ool boutta Wankur Cahd ten poonches getcha oon onna coof but oom roonin outta papah so em jess gonna tear off de lass bit so me doon hafta toof et owt yeh?

Bless

Glad Hand Mick Tugjoab Keng a Auld New Ome
sry so messy
pey ess oop neva minda boutta shite

Profile Email
kythia
 Saturday, February 16 2013 @ 01:19 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I talked to everyone and distilled it down to this:

Don't be afraid to be your real self. Especially if your real self has great big tits. Try to get some of these, people will like you a lot more. To be even more liked, let people do whatever they want to your great big tits.

Have confindence in yourself. Walk around in just frilly pink pants and laugh at everything everyone says to you. Coupled with the great big tits, this will make people like you. Try to twirl your hair as well.

DO NOT eat the sun. We need it, and people will dislike you if you eat it. I can't emphasise this point enough. In fact, refrain from all activities that could wipe out all organic life.

Finally, go and talk to the scariest and least approachable woman on the Island, and ask her where she gets her boots. Get a pair of those boots, give them to me. This is important. Get me a pair of the most intimidating boots there ever were. Six inch heels, black patent leather, thigh high bad boys covered in studs.

That last bit is the most important bit.

Profile Email
Furo
 Monday, February 18 2013 @ 06:26 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Adding my reply to Rohit. A very interesting question in RL too. The hilarity of this reply (at least in my opinion) is my character is currently a Mutant. .
Honestly, the basis of this reply has been brewing far longer, so it's partly coincidence.

Hello Rohit,

When it takes so long to reply, it is polite and proper to apologize. But as a friend, I will not lie. Your question deserved deep consideration and reflection.

I cannot explain friendship, but I can provide a framework to use in order to analyze most situations.

Friendship is similar to looking into a mirror.

First, it is a reflection of yourself. What you interpret from any interaction with others, is also influenced by your own programs analyzing the data. For a human, what they interpret from others during an interaction is filtered by their experiences and what they are willing to accept from others that differs from their experience. It is not friendship when that is rejected. We both know war, Rohit.

Second, the reflection in the mirror. It is you- and it is not. You will see in that other person first what is similar to you, just as you recognize yourself in a mirror. These similarities are helpful in creating a common point of interest. But you also do not feel the world of that mirror images. It is a separate body and feels the data inputs from the world differently than you. You might be able to surmise a good deal of what the imputs they feel are like, since you have felt similar one. This is a start on understanding empathy. You know a broken skin needs healing, that it hurts, that it unpleasant. A person will appreciate that you acknowledge their pain. (Helping them get healing will be even more appreciated.)

Having empathy for what others are feeling is far harder. Many people do not do this well. It is a data set of part random, part experience which can only be generated by asking. And it will be terrible data that conflicts constantly. Every once in a while, you’ll get it right. Perhaps for you, it would be akin to getting a processor that doubles your processing power. It is wonderful. It is moments like that where people “fall” in love.

There is an expression said “Walk in another’s shoes”. This is the idea I am trying to get across. It does not mean steal their boots. It means a person should attempt to imagine how they might act if they were that other person- If they were the reflection in the mirror.

Organics and Robots are very different yet we share the same world, feel the same inputs, can speak a common language. These commonalities bring us points of connection to form friendships, for those that are willing. I am very glad that we are both willing, Rohit.

Your friend, Furo

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.72 seconds
New Topic Post Reply