Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Houses and Tents, again
 |  Printable Version
Adder Moray
 Sunday, November 08 2009 @ 07:03 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Pinche+Cabron

Quote by: K.K.+Victoria

-Also, no way in Hell should dwellings cost money. Pinche, not everyone can scrape together 10$ for an online game, and to expect it for something that used to be free is ridiculous. I am so far against having to pay money on a dwelling that I don't even want to think about the idea. They were free before. They should be free now. End story.

If things that were once free start costing money, where are we going with that? Nowhere that I want to.

I'm pretty sure that you can come up with the dough, one way or another. (You have a LOT of friends, myself included, who will make sure you have your dream house.) For the record, I think you have been very patient, and don't fault you at all for writing CMJ.

The argument that because it was free in Season 1 means it should automatically be free in season 2 doesn't hold water. Season 1 is over, and I really hope you "old timers" have let go of that by now. Seriously, time to move on and stop living in the past. There have been lots of changes from Season 1 to Season 2, so saying something should remain a certain way because you like free things is selfish and self-serving. Saying that it's tradition, when there have only been two seasons, is absurd.

Things that were once free often do wind up costing money. People in my area used to go to the local mountains to camp and hike for free. Now there's a fee. I bet each of you can come up with many examples of something once free now costing money. That's life, and welcome to it.

I'm not even getting into arguments about overdevelopment and urban sprawl, but I'd be happy to if my arguments are deficient.

2 cents from the peanut gallery that is my mind:

What you're proposing, Pinche, is the start to quite the slippery slope.

Not saying CMJ would go down that slope.

Just saying that going by your logic could lead to some bad places.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, November 08 2009 @ 08:29 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Pinche+Cabron

The argument that because it was free in Season 1 means it should automatically be free in season 2 doesn't hold water. Season 1 is over, and I really hope you "old timers" have let go of that by now. Seriously, time to move on and stop living in the past. There have been lots of changes from Season 1 to Season 2, so saying something should remain a certain way because you like free things is selfish and self-serving. Saying that it's tradition, when there have only been two seasons, is absurd.

Um, Pinche... I hope you realize that many of these "old timers" you're talking about aren't old enough to drink legally in the US? Goes to show how very different time perception is in the context of this game. It's funny to see the two game seasons turning into something very much like a generational divide, when the 'generations' don't at all match up with RL ages.

Profile Email
Fergus
 Sunday, November 08 2009 @ 08:38 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Hey Pinche, have you read much about Tents yet? Tents are supposed to be nearly donator exclusive, and be better than a House.

To make a House you'll have to spend a lot of stamina and req just to build the basic one. On the other hand, it sounds like Tents will be 'pay X DPs, get the equivalent of a basic house instantly'. Along with that, Tents will probably also have better buffs than Houses when comparing the two.

Oh, and here's an idea to make tents even more useful: if CMJ can find out a way to have Tents be movable, allowing you to take yours with you and plop it down where ever you like, they'll have a massive advantage over Houses that are stuck where you build them.

Since CMJ is planning on having both, it makes a lot of sense for the Houses to be req, stamina, and cigs while the superior Tents can be only DPs.

Profile Email
James Bond
 Sunday, November 08 2009 @ 09:10 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Pinche- 2 things.
First; three seasons, you're forgetting the pilot.

Secondly; along the lines of what the Count said, many of us "old timers" aren't even old enough in RL to own a credit card to buy DP's with.
So it's nice to have a dwelling which you don't need to pay for with DP's, like houses used to be in past seasone.

Profile Email
Aurora
 Sunday, November 08 2009 @ 09:10 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Houses sound lovely. Congrats on your marriage!

Profile Email
Neeip
 Sunday, November 08 2009 @ 09:37 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: XaNe

Yay! Congratulations Dan, and good luck!

In other news, I wouldn't mind helping Neeip, so long as he wouldn't mind helping me Razz

No problem man! But, I scratch your back, Ect...
Go ahead, Pick yourself out a plot, and Distract me.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Sunday, November 08 2009 @ 10:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Pinche, Lemmie be clear.

If you sent me DP for a house,

I would send it all back immediately.

--Much as I loved my Compound and all the horrors that happened within, I would forgo it entirely if it meant that I had to pay actual money for it. Or if anyone had to pay actual money for it. Time? Sure. Cigs? Definitely. Reck? Goes without saying. US dollars?

Fuck. No.

I'll just spend all my stocked up reck on a hat and cut off that entire sector of my character's story.

--I'm not thinking about this for me. I know I have friends who can cover me. Hell, I have my own credit card and money that I could pay for it. I'm thinking about this for everyone else. There is absolutely no reason why they should be forced to pay for something that came standard.

Pinche, your example of the locals originally being able to hike for free? Then having to pay a fee?
Pointing it out doesn't make that fact suck any less.

It totally sucks that locals now would have to pay to do what was once free.

How much would it suck if the islanders would have to pay to have something that was once free?

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, November 08 2009 @ 11:10 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: James+Bond

Many of us "old timers" aren't even old enough in RL to own a credit card to buy DP's with

Nope, everybody in Improbable Island is, to the best of my knowledge, an adult.

Once again, I must remind you that Improbable Island is an adult game. As in, nobody under eighteen (or the legal age of majority in your country) is allowed in the game, and there's a BIG RED WARNING during the signup process to drive the point home. I'm sure you're not talking about yourself, because I know you're not dumb enough to force me to ban you just to cover my own ass. Neutral

So, less talk of underage folks! Instead, I will say that although I agree heartily with Pinche on just about every point he raised, the land plot tax will be paid for in cigarettes, and no DPs will be required for a House.

More on this topic later - I just poked my head in to see what was going on, in between being all married and yay.

Profile Email Website
K.K. Victoria
 Monday, November 09 2009 @ 12:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Congrats mate!

And that is definitely a load off of my back...

(Though, I'm sure it adds to the weight on yours...)

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
James Bond
 Monday, November 09 2009 @ 12:29 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Quote by: James+Bond

Many of us "old timers" aren't even old enough in RL to own a credit card to buy DP's with

Nope, everybody in Improbable Island is, to the best of my knowledge, an adult.

Once again, I must remind you that Improbable Island is an adult game. As in, nobody under eighteen (or the legal age of majority in your country) is allowed in the game, and there's a BIG RED WARNING during the signup process to drive the point home. I'm sure you're not talking about yourself, because I know you're not dumb enough to force me to ban you just to cover my own ass. Neutral

So, less talk of underage folks! Instead, I will say that although I agree heartily with Pinche on just about every point he raised, the land plot tax will be paid for in cigarettes, and no DPs will be required for a House.

More on this topic later - I just poked my head in to see what was going on, in between being all married and yay.

Nope, definitely not.
I just thought I'd read somewhere someone said this.
Must have been mistaken.

Congrats again!
Happy for you and Emily!

Profile Email
Max Dougwell
 Monday, November 09 2009 @ 03:46 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Yay, can't wait to get building!

The problem with ages is that us players will automatically view newer players as younger and older players as older. (In my case this may be because pretty much everyone who have played longer then me are older then me, but still.)

Dan, can we build anywhere? Triple-S and the Contraption want an off-shore research facility.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, November 09 2009 @ 04:54 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Building on certain terrain types will be harder, but not impossible.

Here's where I'm up to on this, and a few thoughts on combat options and such...

The last several things to go live on the Island have not been combat-related. Let's get that sorted out right now, because it's an ugly rumour and simply not true. The last new modules have been, in order of most recent to further back according to file creation date:
timedcombat.php
commontimetext.php
iitems_cratelocator.php
commentaryarchive.php
insults.php
worldmapchat.php

So out of the six most recent modules, we've had two for warriors, three for roleplayers, and one for travellers. And by file modification, meaning bugfixes, optimisations or other changes (e: enhancement, o: optimisation, b: bugfix):
serverload.php (e)
iitems_eboy_intelligent.php (e, o)
creaturetargets.php (b, o)
staminahof.php (b, o)
commentaryinfo.php (o)
timedcombat.php (new)
timedcombat_teach.php (new)
ranksystem.php (o)
staminacorecombat.php (e, o)
marriage.php (o)
kissingbooth.php (o)
eqbuffhelper.php (o)
commontimetext.php (new)
newdaybar.php (o)
alternativeresurrect.php (e)
racezombie.php... actually all races (e, o, b)
daysave.php (e)
homepage.php (o)
quester.php (o)

Those are the modules - core files and server tweaks are the big thing right now.

See if you can identify any of the above files whose corresponding game features seem to work differently from how they did a few weeks ago. That's the problem. Honestly most of what I've been doing lately is optimisation work, which is complicated, boring and for the most part people don't notice (folks don't tend to go "wow, it's running FAST tonight" unless it's been running slow that night too). Timed combat and chronospheres (daysave.php) were fun quickie modules that got me off the tedious optimisation grind, lest I find myself bored out of my wits. Which is important, because I know myself well enough to know that if I'm bored, I'll write boring stuff.

I've also been tidying up some half-finished projects on the side - little things that are fun to write and should be fun to play, but then the server grinds to a halt again and wincachegrind shows me something that really shouldn't be in there, and then the datacache decides to erase the whole /modules directory For Reasons Still Unknown, and then I have to thwart a spammer and another spammer and then KK Victoria emails me with a novella-length missive insisting that I do something far less urgent than keeping the server from falling to its knees and I have to reply to him the night before my wedding and resist the temptation to tell him to stick his Dwellings somewhere that I understand would lead to a worldwide shortage of KY Jelly and thus would be irresponsible of me - and so on and so forth. Y'know, things keep coming up.

Houses will be a Big Project. I'm not using the old Dwellings system from Green Dragon - LotGD doesn't use Stamina, or IItems, or even the World Map in most cases. I'm writing a new system from scratch for Improbable Island, because Dwellings just would not work with Season Two (and yes, Pinche was right when he said that Season One is very much over and if you expect Houses to be even remotely similar to S1 Dwellings, you'll be disappointed). It Will Take Time. If I devote myself to it full-time? Three weeks minimum, and no new features until December. If I intersperse development of Houses with other, more minor attractions, we're talking more like a month, with some interesting things to keep players tided over until Houses come out.

So, yes. Don't expect them tomorrow, and don't expect them to be a higher priority than urgent things like fixing game-crippling bugs. Razz

Profile Email Website
Adder Moray
 Monday, November 09 2009 @ 06:43 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

resist the temptation to tell him to stick his Dwellings somewhere that I understand would lead to a worldwide shortage of KY Jelly

And thus was Adder Moray's player's quota of laughs met for the next week at least.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Monday, November 09 2009 @ 01:17 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

You know, Dan. A .45 to the head would've been a lot less painful and a lot faster...

...Medic!

..And it wasn't a novella...

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Reverb
 Monday, November 09 2009 @ 04:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

*rushes to the scene, medkit in hand*

Caroline! Sedate the poor man! *slaps on gloves* Right... I need a seven-point-three extractor, a mallet, crowbar and.. oh i don't know.. one or two hippopotami should suffice.

And you, sir, *points to Joe* are to report to the Cavelady and tell her you're very sorry about the bloody distraction, and that it won't happen again. Well, at least not untill Mr. Victoria here feels fit enough to sit at his desk again, and that might take quite some time indeed...

(And just to make ithis post not a complete waste of all yer' time; I vote for faster houses, and less 'minor' attractions, provided it's all the same to CMJ of course...)

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Zpatula
 Monday, November 09 2009 @ 04:32 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I'm having a little trouble figuring out what the 'commontimetext.php' module mentioned above referrs to. Difficult for me to watch to make sure it is still working properly if I don't know what it does.

Someone drop me a clue?

I ATE PINEAPPLE!

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Monday, November 09 2009 @ 04:35 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Roleplay/flavour text module in the common grounds. Varies the description by game time.

Profile Email Website
K.K. Victoria
 Monday, November 09 2009 @ 05:02 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

In my defense, I had no idea that you were getting married that day, Dan. Nor did I know that some people were spamming, what was going on with the server, or any of the like.
(Frankly, I thought you held the ceremony quite a while ago.)

I apologize for the absolutely horrendous timing.

And if it's worth anything, I definitely recognize when the server is running quickly, and the optimization is definitely a big help.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Zephy
 Monday, November 09 2009 @ 08:41 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Roleplay/flavour text module in the common grounds. Varies the description by game time.

I noticed this for the first time the other day actually Smile And a change on the wording to what had been the "no fighting" sign. I haven't been around much lately, so I wasn't sure when/why things got tinkered with.

Also big congrats to Joe! Mr. Green

(I sympathize with the clash of II meets real life.)

Profile Email
Symar
 Monday, November 09 2009 @ 09:08 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oohhhhh, that's what that is.
That's a pretty darn neat thing XD

And also, I don't mind if you run the world dry of KY. I don't use that brand :p

Oh. Just saw your twitter. Fucking Dwellings, huh? Maybe you should have a KY dispenser as a furniture option, then?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.84 seconds
New Topic Post Reply