Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Houses and Tents, again
 |  Printable Version
Yrk
 Monday, November 09 2009 @ 09:15 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

So the houses are going on the world map.. awesome.
But doesn't that mean that eventually the option to build a house would go away? It's only a matter of time before every square is built on..

also, congrats.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Monday, November 09 2009 @ 09:56 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

All one thousand squares, Yrk? Wink

Honestly, I'd be surprised if CMJ wrote the module such that only one Dwelling can occupy one square. We might see a universal 1-5 or 1-10 / sq cap, or we might see a cap on basis of terrain type, or we might see a cap on basis of proximity to an Outpost. Dunno. Maybe he hehn't even considered it yet.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, November 09 2009 @ 10:17 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

It would in fact be quite interesting to have no cap at all, and see where settlements naturally develop. My money would be on clustering near outposts, for the same reason that sort of thing happens in RL: proximity to desired services. (I can foresee the PV region becoming quite densely populated; people really love those steaks! As new services are created, population patterns would shift.)

And, along those lines... if some sort of soft-cap is needed to prevent everyone from building right on top of an outpost... RL has an answer to that. Why not make the cost of building in a square rise gradually as the density of housing in that square increases?

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Tuesday, November 10 2009 @ 12:21 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hey, three day late congratulations to Dan! Woohoo!

*hugs CMJ* Here's hoping you enjoy your life of matrimony! Big Grin

As for dwellings, take your time. Yeah, we've been waiting a while, but, frankly, I've gotten quite used to not having them. Better that we wait a little longer than the Island falls apart Wink

Profile Email
Yrk
 Tuesday, November 10 2009 @ 09:50 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

As unlikely as it is, there's a possiblilty that two thousand people join the island to build houses. It'd suck to see half of them pushed away just because there wasnt enough room for them on the map.

More importantly, what about scrapbots? It was the reason i re-joined the island in the first place...

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, November 11 2009 @ 03:24 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Yrk

More importantly, what about scrapbots? It was the reason i re-joined the island in the first place...

OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiii.....

Profile Email Website
Chimental
 Wednesday, November 11 2009 @ 03:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Yrk

Patience, Yrk. It takes a lot of time (and time and time and time) to create housing for the players and I'm sure it takes just as long to create a scrapbot function. This includes a module for foraging for metal, creating them, giving them orders to fight, collect, build, etc. Housing is a necessity while robot armies are more of a 'sidequest.'

Quote by: CavemanJoe

OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiii.....

Or maybe he just he forgot about it in all the commotion. ^^;

Until then, Yrk, you could always do what I did: RP your own scrapbots. Wink

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Wednesday, November 11 2009 @ 04:21 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, I wouldn't consider housing any more of a necessity that Scrapbots, though there certainly does seem to be more of a demand for them. I, for one, have learned to exist without Houses just fine. Any roleplaying that I don't want to do in the chatspaces I do in Distractions--I don't really miss Houses anymore.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Wednesday, November 11 2009 @ 04:28 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well let's think about it.

Q:Why would we need houses? As opposed to just sleeping in the fields?

A: For protection.

Q: From what?

A: Simple. Other contestants.

In other words: PVP *glee*

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Wednesday, November 11 2009 @ 08:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

*curious* I thought that was gone for good in this Season.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Wednesday, November 11 2009 @ 11:35 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

While I absolutely adored PVP, I can't help but think that the purpose of houses has changed from being 'Protection with obligatory chatspace,' to 'Chatspace with other amenities.'

--Though, PvP coming back might be interesting, I'd understand if it'd be left out altogether.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, November 11 2009 @ 01:24 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

ScrapBots are honestly nearly done. They've been nearly done for about five months now.

OTHER THINGS keep distracting me. Rolling Eyes

PvP is coming back, but in a far more abstract and less intrusive manner, both through ScrapBots and via other stuffs too.

I'm probably going to roll Housing in with ScrapBots, PvP and a couple of other features, and do a Season 2.1 update (no reset this time).

Also I'm doing the server upgrade today, so there will be downtime.

Profile Email Website
g_rock
 Wednesday, November 11 2009 @ 03:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So, I'm a season 2 Newb, so I have no idea what you all are talking about, but all of the things mentioned have me nethers all tingly with anticipation. Mr. Green
Is it weird that I think I may be more excited for houses and such than christmas this year?

Congrats, by the way!

Profile Email
Aurora
 Wednesday, November 11 2009 @ 04:53 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I am all about some PVP options. Between that and houses, it sound like we are in for some great gaming in the future! (assuming the server stays off its knees, which is, of course, the most important thing. Laughing Out Loud

Profile Email
Yrk
 Thursday, November 12 2009 @ 10:11 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

It's obvious that the demand or houses is greater than the demand for scrapbots(much to my surprice). But i never expect scrpbots to be here before houses, being a big fan of democracy, i want houses here before the bots.

And incase someone didn't notice, im not a big fan of RPing, pretending to have a huge army of scrap bots just isnt the same as having a huge(virtual) army of scrapbots..

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, November 12 2009 @ 10:24 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

UPDATE:

One of the Stamina actions involved in making Houses can be re-used in another upcoming module, so they'll likely go live quite close to each other.
Houses are still not going to cost DP's, but in the interests of not having so many Houses we can barely move, I might make it a "threshold" thing (like with Commentary Export and Extended Bio - you have to have donated at some point in the past, but the game doesn't care whether you've spent the points or not).

Profile Email Website
g_rock
 Thursday, November 12 2009 @ 10:29 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

UPDATE:

One of the Stamina actions involved in making Houses can be re-used in another upcoming module, so they'll likely go live quite close to each other.
Houses are still not going to cost DP's, but in the interests of not having so many Houses we can barely move, I might make it a "threshold" thing (like with Commentary Export and Extended Bio - you have to have donated at some point in the past, but the game doesn't care whether you've spent the points or not).

I suppose that makes sense. (sadfaces as a moth flies symbolically out of his wallet)

Will I still be able to help others build without DPs?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, November 12 2009 @ 10:50 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Yes.

And someone will send you a buck's worth of DP's so you can build your own.

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: Ferryn who did not log in
 Thursday, November 12 2009 @ 10:58 PM UTC  

Will we be able to have a House AND a Tent?

(I'm not sure why we'd need both, but someone will want both anyway)

CavemanJoe
 Thursday, November 12 2009 @ 11:01 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Yes. In fact I see no reason why you couldn't have multiples of each, once you teach your Tents to breed.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.77 seconds
New Topic Post Reply