Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 House Feedback!
 |  Printable Version
NotAgain
 Tuesday, February 23 2010 @ 08:05 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

*Nods* Indeed.

It's one of the few times I've found a real need for an Alt. Drop the materials, pick 'em up with the Alt. Run back, harvest more. Rinse & repeat.

So what if the Alt's backpack is horribly overloaded? They're not going anywhere. Big Grin

It's a crying shame that we need to resort to such complicated means... but it appears that the Recruiting Crews don't rate a moral sense highly in the prereq's of those they kidnap. *Sighs*

Profile Email
Ebenezer
 Tuesday, February 23 2010 @ 06:22 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: NotAgain

*Nods* Indeed.

It's one of the few times I've found a real need for an Alt. Drop the materials, pick 'em up with the Alt. Run back, harvest more. Rinse & repeat.

So what if the Alt's backpack is horribly overloaded? They're not going anywhere. Big Grin

It's a crying shame that we need to resort to such complicated means... but it appears that the Recruiting Crews don't rate a moral sense highly in the prereq's of those they kidnap. *Sighs*

Escemfer and I did the same thing, only with poor old Ebenezer in the place of "alt." Sat on a pile of materials, I did, brooding like a bird on a nest...

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, February 23 2010 @ 06:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Can I point out to people, one consequence. Apart from effects on the outpost invasions, the effects on looking after of rookies? People aren't going in to Newhome and making the rookie page in the wiki known, and generally being welcoming so much any more.

Can we try and make a point of doing this occasionally please? Especially as CMJ's just had an advertising drive. We all know that it's good for everyone in the long run.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 12:38 AM UTC  

It would be nice to have more people than just Ebenezer welcoming rookies in NewHome, but I don't think it's a dwelling-related issue, really. Otherwise, it could really be a jungle fighting issue, or a travelling issue, or a drive kill issue as well. Confused Besides that, some friends and clannies and I are building a social spot for rookies and clanless contestants, which I plan on recruiting in-character volunteers for, and posting advertisements about everywhere. So spending time on dwellings doesn't necessarily mean shunning rookies.

Feedback? Idea time! Really flexible key system please?

Regular keys (possibly cost 5 cigs to forge one?) for the whole dwelling, or linked to certain rooms
Master keys (10+ cigs to forge, limited numbers per dwelling) for the whole dwelling

Secure rooms so that only people with regular keys can enter
Secure rooms so that people with regular keys can lock or unlock them at will
Secure rooms so that only people with master keys can enter

Master keys would, ideally, enable the holder to lock and unlock rooms, enter private rooms, and use options like new build jobs, descriptions, and forging regular keys. Contestants should be able to relinquish their keys, including dwelling owners as long as someone else holds a master key.

Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 03:42 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yes Esc, you're right. Ebenezer has been doing stirling work above and beyond the call of duty there. There are others who go in from time to time, but it is mainly Ebenezer. I go there far less often than I might myself. I spent an hour or so in their today, but that was the first time in ages. Now I'm up in CC404.

In which case, can everyoneelse try and go in a bit more often, and do their thing?

I like your idea of a rookie clanless/contestant social spot. Excellent work there. No good ideas to add though.

Profile Email
ImNewHere
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 04:03 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I don't mind people using my floating castle for rookies. It would have been great for someone to show me the ropes at first, but I muddled through on my own. Hmm, maybe tomorrow after work I'll get on and try to help some of the new people for a couple hours.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 07:45 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I love Dwellings. I'll just put that out there right now
But I think the interface for the House Owner is probably a bit overloaded, especially with a bigger house (Namely, the "Decoration Management" section). The Decoration Management and Lock/Unlock rooms could probably both fall under the heading of "House Management", along with Giving People Keys. I like Esc's idea of 3 different key/room levels, personally. Would actually help a lot with Clan-run Dwellings (Leaders and maybe officers could have Master Keys, members could have regular keys, etc.)

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Bakemaster
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 06:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: NotAgain

*Nods* Indeed.

I don't take materials that are on existing plots; that being said, I do think the above is an abusive use of an alt that crosses an important line to give your main a game advantage. Yes, most of us agree that it's poor form to grab materials that are sitting on someone else's plot. But until such time as Dan decides to change the way things work re: dropping and picking up materials, it's your responsibility to deal with the risk of your materials being stolen in a way OTHER than circumventing a game mechanic via multiple accounts. There are many, many such alternative courses of action. Resorting immediately to "oh, I'll just use my alt" is not only lazy—I'd say it's far more disrespectful of the player community (and possibly of Dan, though he may not feel this crosses a line—I can't speak for him there) than taking materials someone left at their plot.

And that is how I feel about that; take it as you will.

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 07:08 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Yeah... using an alt for this is pretty cheaty, guys. Alts are only allowed on the Island at all because folks like to use them for RP. It'd be far, far easier for me to block alts altogether than it is for me to write in checks for every module where alts would allow a potential exploit.

Profile Email Website
Bernard
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 08:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Escemfer

It would be nice to have more people than just Ebenezer welcoming rookies in NewHome, but I don't think it's a dwelling-related issue, really. Otherwise, it could really be a jungle fighting issue, or a travelling issue, or a drive kill issue as well. Confused Besides that, some friends and clannies and I are building a social spot for rookies and clanless contestants, which I plan on recruiting in-character volunteers for, and posting advertisements about everywhere. So spending time on dwellings doesn't necessarily mean shunning rookies.

Feedback? Idea time! Really flexible key system please?

Regular keys (possibly cost 5 cigs to forge one?) for the whole dwelling, or linked to certain rooms
Master keys (10+ cigs to forge, limited numbers per dwelling) for the whole dwelling

Secure rooms so that only people with regular keys can enter
Secure rooms so that people with regular keys can lock or unlock them at will
Secure rooms so that only people with master keys can enter

Master keys would, ideally, enable the holder to lock and unlock rooms, enter private rooms, and use options like new build jobs, descriptions, and forging regular keys. Contestants should be able to relinquish their keys, including dwelling owners as long as someone else holds a master key.

You try welcoming newbies and you get a bloomin' earful. Well, I asks yer. (wink)

Profile Email
Tyr
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 10:13 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

If you told me the price of Master keys was that I'd never be able to do a midget run again, I'd say, "go for it." If you told me they'd cost 100 cigs, I'd empty my tobacco pouch. If you told me I'd never be able to use a plasma gun again, I'd happily do runs with a spork. If you told me it would cause all tea to disappear from the island, I'd sedate Ebenezer then say, "I'll take two."

Also, I love Dwellings. I hadn't said that yet. Love them.

Profile Email
Adder Moray
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 10:17 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Tyr

If you told me the price of Master keys was that I'd never be able to do a midget run again, I'd say, "go for it." If you told me they'd cost 100 cigs, I'd empty my tobacco pouch. If you told me I'd never be able to use a plasma gun again, I'd happily do runs with a spork. If you told me it would cause all tea to disappear from the island, I'd sedate Ebenezer then say, "I'll take two."

Sedating Ebenezer and taking away his tea? Adder wants to know where the sign up sheet is...

I mean!

Yes, yes, that key system is quite good.

Profile Email
Ebenezer
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 10:28 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Adder+Moray

Quote by: Tyr

Sedating Ebenezer and taking away his tea? Adder wants to know where the sign up sheet is...

I mean!

Yes, yes, that key system is quite good.

HMPH!

No key system is worth that price. -- Though, if we could get it without sacrificing the tea and my consciousness, then I'm all for it.

Profile Email
Skidge
 Thursday, February 25 2010 @ 12:48 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Yeah... using an alt for this is pretty cheaty, guys. Alts are only allowed on the Island at all because folks like to use them for RP. It'd be far, far easier for me to block alts altogether than it is for me to write in checks for every module where alts would allow a potential exploit.

Eek! But...but.....but...............oh please don't do that. I...I just..........**eyes her army of lulzalts** I wouldn't know.....what to do with myself........I mean, I can spend hours just, you know, talking to myself? And myself and myself and myself. And...that guy over there, he's not an alt. I don't know who let him in. But he seems nice.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Thursday, February 25 2010 @ 02:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Skidge

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Eek! But...but.....but...............oh please don't do that. I...I just..........**eyes her army of lulzalts** I wouldn't know.....what to do with myself........I mean, I can spend hours just, you know, talking to myself? And myself and myself and myself. And...that guy over there, he's not an alt. I don't know who let him in. But he seems nice.

As much as I would love to help Skidge in her battle with schizophrenia, I would enjoy it if you do not block alts please. I have a few myself and they are for RP ONLY! Most of the time, alts in general can't do much but roleplay, mainly because they are unfed rookie accounts. By the time they go to IC, grab a kit, and head back, I believe they would already be near the orange. (If they hadn't Failboated.)

And if someone is actually spending the time to level up multiple accounts just to add a few pieces of wood and rocks to their house, well then they're an ass.

YEAH, YOU HEARD ME!

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Daedalus
 Thursday, February 25 2010 @ 04:34 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Could I ask some one, anyone, to extend the wikki on Dwellings? And add a link to the Rookie advisory when it's done. I'd do it myself, but I haven't built anything, so ... *shrug*

As some one who wasn't around in S1, they're a bit confusing.

An example: when they were first introduced, I saw all these logs lying around and thought they were 'dropped' in the same way that crates are. I picked some up, thought, "shit, they're heavy", and dropped them again. I'm guessing other new arrivals are doing the same. Later I hired some kit in IC, tried it out on other's projects,(ie: donated the produce), and haven't gone back since. That's the sum total of my knowledge about dwellings. I still don't know what the ongoing costs are. Do stakes expire if not built on within a given time? And what the heck is this stuff about keys? (usw).

As things stand, I still don't know how even the basic process works, and have gone from looking forward to them prior to their introduction to "It's all too complicated, I'm not going to bother (yet)." Now I know some of you are thinking "that's your choice, on your own head be it", and I agree, but I think it'd be useful (at least) for Rookies and dummies like me to have a basic 'instruction manual' available.

And in the longer run, either resources need some form of protection (drop off sites within staked plots, as suggested above, seems best,) or else players need to suck it up, as 'losing' stuff is going to be part of the game. i.e 'Use it or lose it', as you can't stockpile it securely.

D.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
tehdave
 Thursday, February 25 2010 @ 04:41 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Good point with adding the Logs/Stones to the advisory. Also, as far as the safe storage of logs/stones, it would probably be fairest if you could only "store" as many stones/logs as the current build project would require.

On another note, do Nested rooms work properly? Didn't want to start a new room on my Castle until I'm sure it'll branch off from the Dining Hall, and not directly from the Main Courtyard...

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, February 25 2010 @ 02:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

D. Good point about adding something about what these stones and wood and dwellings are lying around, but not a whole page. There's a lot in there, and it's rather good fun finding it out as you go along.

Profile Email
Bernard
 Friday, February 26 2010 @ 12:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: tehdave

Good point with adding the Logs/Stones to the advisory. Also, as far as the safe storage of logs/stones, it would probably be fairest if you could only "store" as many stones/logs as the current build project would require.

On another note, do Nested rooms work properly? Didn't want to start a new room on my Castle until I'm sure it'll branch off from the Dining Hall, and not directly from the Main Courtyard...

They don't appear to - every room I've started in t'Bingo 'All I've tried to start as a nest (most pertinently Fergus' nest up in the dome). But I don't mind... All the rooms will soon be described as corridors and hang the decoratin' expense when they do begin to work.

Also, any news on keys and how they'd work? I'm keen to hand keys out as quickly as possible - and if at all possible, it would be lovely to get some people making their own rooms in the Bingo Hall. I don't think we mind building as a team... But...

I think what I'm asking is: What will the next steps be in terms of dwellings?

Profile Email
Anonymous: Awesome Fred
 Monday, March 01 2010 @ 08:03 AM UTC  

Alright, my feedback here is a little different, though I'll start off by saying that I love the dwellings.
(I'd also be pleased if we can make kitchens that serve food, shops that can sell eBoy-type items, or inferior healing tents.)

The real issue I bring up is the consolidation of skills. I am a power-player; I love to try to max out my stats, but I am also fairly reasonable when it comes to playing for flavor.

As such, I frown every time I see that I have 100 Reinforcement skill but that I'm currently at only 13 Carpentry skill. Reinforcing skill is about hammering planks of wood. Carpentry is somewhat similar. It feels very narrow for the Reinforcement skill to only apply to outpost walls, even though I do recognize that almost all of the skills are one-trick ponies.

I have absolutely no problem with the high stamina costs of building; my troubles lie in that there are currently no racial bonuses that modify the dwelling-based skills that I've seen (I haven't checked robots, actually, which I remember do have a Reinforcement benefit, but I will never use them again because I love a high-defense playstyle) and that I have to start the dwelling skills from scratch when thematically, my Reinforcement could have been Carpentry all this time and I could have had a bonus to start out with.

That being said, I'm fine if my whine is rebutted convincingly. I am pleased that, extrapolating what I've seen, that the 5% stamina costs all drop to a 2% at level 100. It really makes each skill-raise worthwhile. I do enjoy the effort and achievement aspect of getting my skills up, and once my initial dwelling construction is complete (at 62 logs) and I have a place to sleep, I'll be straight Logging until 100 (at 20 now) and dropping all the wood at my feet, free for anyone to come and take if they need. (Directly north of Kittania and east of Pleasantville).

Aimless afterthought: Because I have a very low amount of cigs (having recently bought the plot and not being a long-time player), I've been stacking my stamina and rentals to coincide. I don't eat for days, and when I hit "very weak and malnourished", I go and fill up on Mutant Steaks (over 260% on full!), grab the tools, and work until I tire. I then don't work on the house for many ingame days until I hit that hunger again. If the tools didn't work on this sort of rental scheme, I wouldn't form this play habit.

Content generated in: 0.75 seconds
New Topic Post Reply