Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Furniture store in Central!
 |  Printable Version
Count Sessine
 Sunday, November 28 2010 @ 04:54 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Syd+Lexic

What if we were given back our ability to transfer SP, rather than just the items? I for one know I'd gladly donate a few points to a dwelling in need of sleep spaces. Or if the sleep spot kit were an item, I'm sure we could gift that too.

If this does materialize as a Supporter Point item I'd imagine it would be giftable, like everything else in the Hunter's Lodge.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, November 28 2010 @ 07:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Syd+Lexic

Furthermore, the precedent for Renaming Costing SP is on things that attach to your character's profile and status bar. Titles, Name-Colors, Weapons, Armor, and Mounts are all things that deal with your character and only your character. Dwellings are things which deal with any character that comes across it. They're User-Generated Content, if you will.

It seems like this precedent, with the exception of the title and color changes, shows that CMJ tends to charge SP for things that people could RP themselves if they wanted to. In which case, if the room descrip shows a traction engine, sleep under the traction engine. The clickity links on the side are just a mechanic, anyway. Renaming sleep spots is great for immersion, but it really doesn't change the way the game is played at all. Unless renaming gives a different stam bonus, which it likely wouldn't, I have no problem seeing it as a bonus and another way to help keep our loverly island afloat.

I also assume that with the amount of sleep spaces on the island, it would probably be sufficient to charge perhaps... 25-50SP? Even if you just had the SP trickle from the WCG client, that's 5-10 days of basically just having your computer on per sleep space.

I fully empathize with people that don't have the funds to donate. I can't really donate much at all, per se. I acquired most of my points through roundabout measures. Thing is, while the Lodge items are all very lovely, they aren't necessary. They are worth finding a way to get SP, as they make the game a bit more fun, but lack of them does not make the game any less fun.

What if we were given back our ability to transfer SP, rather than just the items? I for one know I'd gladly donate a few points to a dwelling in need of sleep spaces. Or if the sleep spot kit were an item, I'm sure we could gift that too.

~Syd

Well, see, that's the thing. I can't really donate much at all either and I acquired most of my points by writing loads of unpolished first-draft monster submissions while on the subway every day and tricking Zolotisty and whatever other mods into thinking some of them were actually passable. With the new implementation of the SP trickle from WCG, I do agree though that a 25 SP cost would shut me up about Money For Gameplay Feature blabbering. 5 days of WCG for a feature is low enough to get with no issue.

Now, if the Furniture Rename ability came out and cost 500 SP, then we come to the issue of it being pay-for-immersion. Let me use the example again but try to clarify it:

Dwellings are just a mechanic. You can add some pages on each map square with their own chat boxes, and you can make a little text blurb to make people get the feel that they're in a building. Now, hypothetically, let's say that CMJ made it so you purchase one of three different types of land stakes: Homes, Offices, and Building Complex. The dwellings that rise up from these stakes will be named according to the type of building, and you can't change it. So even though you can make your Dwelling's textual description is of a forest where you feel there are eyes watching you and you get the feeling of foreboding, the header at the top of your page says "OFFICE BUILDING: A Dark Forest". But hey, it's just a mechanic. It'd be great if you could actually rename the building, but that's just for immersion, it doesn't really change the way the game is played at all.

Do you think it sounds reasonable if CMJ implemented dwellings this way, and then offered the ability to rename the external name of your building in exchange for Supporter Points? I don't. To me, it seems like it would have been a very limiting Dwelling system in the first place. I think it's a fallacious logic to say that because all previous Renaming options cost SP that the ability to rename furniture should cost SP. Things should cost SP if they are deemed 'extra' to the main game. I say that the furniture system isn't complete, and that renaming would make it complete rather than be an awesome added bonus.

If the Renaming feature were added as well to the ability to purchase Benches, Chairs, Double-Beds, and other common sleep objects, I would probably say differently, because the furniture system would seem more complete then and the Renaming feature would seem more extra.

Profile Email
Syd Lexic
 Sunday, November 28 2010 @ 11:34 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I see what you're getting at. I think we just disagree on the level of... nonimmersion(?) that a sleep space name has. I don't think it's any bigger issue than weapon names. I know there are plenty of people that feel the same way I do. Thing is, I'm sure there are plenty of people that feel the same way you do too. It's tough to know how many SP a sleep spot name should cost, if it does cost, or whether it should be single use, numbered, or unlimited.

Here's a thought. I see no reason why any furniture should have more than a generic icon, as once it's installed, do you ever see it? I think a happy medium might be to add a variety to Cadfael's, using the same stats as the current offerings, with just different names. I don't code, but that seems like it would take next to no effort. If Cadfael offered a few different beds, chairs, barcaloungers, bean bags, and such, then having a slightly more expensive (50-100+?) SP sleep spot renamer would just fill in the gaps. Coders? Thoughts?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, November 28 2010 @ 11:48 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Awesome+Fred
Dwellings are just a mechanic. You can add some pages on each map square with their own chat boxes, and you can make a little text blurb to make people get the feel that they're in a building. Now, hypothetically, let's say that CMJ made it so you purchase one of three different types of land stakes: Homes, Offices, and Building Complex. The dwellings that rise up from these stakes will be named according to the type of building, and you can't change it. So even though you can make your Dwelling's textual description is of a forest where you feel there are eyes watching you and you get the feeling of foreboding, the header at the top of your page says "OFFICE BUILDING: A Dark Forest". But hey, it's just a mechanic. It'd be great if you could actually rename the building, but that's just for immersion, it doesn't really change the way the game is played at all.

Coincidentally, that's almost exactly how the Season One dwellings worked. Smile

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Monday, November 29 2010 @ 12:46 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Coincidentally, that's almost exactly how the Season One dwellings worked. Smile

I hate it when my poorly-researched arguments that stem out of a gut reaction are destroyed by actual history and fact. xD

I always start off arguments strongly and I quiet down not out of compromise but just because I always post before I sufficiently consider enough perspectives and viewpoints about a certain subject. I think I'm largely done with this thread. Wink

Profile Email
Matthew
 Monday, November 29 2010 @ 01:33 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

To me, having renamed furniture cost SP makes about as much sense as making redecorating a room cost SP. Speaking of, it would make a lot of sense to me if it worked in a similar way; renaming a "Single Bed" to "the top of the bookshelf" or what have you could cost decorating actions; perhaps a whole lot more per character than they would otherwise, since the names for sleeping spaces would be a lot shorter than that for the rooms themselves.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Monday, November 29 2010 @ 03:28 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

To me, having renamed furniture cost SP makes about as much sense as making redecorating a room cost SP. Speaking of, it would make a lot of sense to me if it worked in a similar way; renaming a "Single Bed" to "the top of the bookshelf" or what have you could cost decorating actions; perhaps a whole lot more per character than they would otherwise, since the names for sleeping spaces would be a lot shorter than that for the rooms themselves.

I don't get how all you people talk and speak concisely and without redundancy. I was trying to say something similar, that furniture costing SP makes about as much sense as making renaming a building cost SP.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, November 29 2010 @ 05:39 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

making renaming a building cost SP

That's an awesome idea. Makes sense, given that renaming everything else costs SP. Mr. Green

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Monday, November 29 2010 @ 06:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That's an awesome idea. Makes sense, given that renaming everything else costs SP. Mr. Green

My emotions... they are but mere toys to our Creator. Cry

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, November 29 2010 @ 06:48 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

My emotions... they are but mere toys to our Creator. Cry

Concise and without redundancy! Mr. Green

Okay so tonight I'm gonna work on beds. For now, let's compromise and say they'll cost you neither stamina nor SP but cigarettes, which is something you can gain by expending either Stamina or SP.

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Monday, November 29 2010 @ 09:08 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Okay so tonight I'm gonna work on beds. For now, let's compromise and say they'll cost you neither stamina nor SP but cigarettes, which is something you can gain by expending either Stamina or SP.

Sounds good to me!

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Monday, November 29 2010 @ 09:18 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

Sounds good to me!

And me! Big Grin

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, November 29 2010 @ 09:21 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

IT IS DONE. Test it thoroughly and try to break it, it's nearly 5am here and I want to go to bed. Razz

(I have a bad habit of releasing things late at night and then going to bed and finding bugs in the morning)

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Monday, November 29 2010 @ 09:36 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

IT IS DONE. Test it thoroughly and try to break it, it's nearly 5am here and I want to go to bed. Razz

(I have a bad habit of releasing things late at night and then going to bed and finding bugs in the morning)

If I'm reading the flavor text right, then, we won't be able to rename already existing furniture? That's too bad, but awesome that the option is there, now! Thanks, CMJ!

Edit: Maybe if there were a way to pick up the furniture that we've already put down... but only if it's named "Single Bed", "Couch", or "Folding Bed"? Would still make furniture permanent, but would let people who want to decorate pre-existing furniture rename theirs. I don't pretend to know how the Island code works, but this strikes me as something really easy to do with simple string recognition.

Profile Email
Silcatra
 Monday, November 29 2010 @ 09:40 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Am I missing something obvious, or is there not a way to customize furniture that's already in place? Some buildings have hundreds of cigs worth of bedding that owners would love to customize.

Also, yes. Thank you for giving us the ability to do it now.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, November 29 2010 @ 10:04 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

You will Soon have the ability to pick furniture up and move it around after it's been put in place.

Right now the furniture stuff is based off the old IItems system's capabilities. When you put something down, it copies the relevant parts of the item (the name, description, and how much stamina you get) into the dwelling's sleepslots array, then destroys the item. With the new core-baked items system, items can "belong" to dwellings, so we can just change the owner of the item rather than destroying it. Once I update Dwellings to look in the items table for furniture, then you'll be able to customize your old furniture by picking it up and taking it to Cadfael.

And now I'm going to bed.

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Monday, November 29 2010 @ 10:09 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

You will Soon have the ability to pick furniture up and move it around after it's been put in place.

Right now the furniture stuff is based off the old IItems system's capabilities. When you put something down, it copies the relevant parts of the item (the name, description, and how much stamina you get) into the dwelling's sleepslots array, then destroys the item. With the new core-baked items system, items can "belong" to dwellings, so we can just change the owner of the item rather than destroying it. Once I update Dwellings to look in the items table for furniture, then you'll be able to customize your old furniture by picking it up and taking it to Cadfael.

And now I'm going to bed.

Awesome. Thanks for all your hard work!

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.50 seconds
New Topic Post Reply