Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 hmm.. haven't seen this before
 |  Printable Version
Zpatula
 Saturday, July 10 2010 @ 09:18 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Fergus

Ah, how many rail passes you get depends on how strong your hand is! Having no pair(s), straight, or flush will just net you one pass, but you'll get more for having those. I'd bet that it's set up the same as normal poker scoring:
Just five cards - 1 pass
One pair - 2 passes
Two pair - 3 passes
Three of a kind - 4 passes
Straight - 5 passes
Flush - 6 passes
Full house - 7 passes
Four of a kind - 8 passes
Straight Flush - 9 passes
Royal Flush - 10 passes
This is still just a guess, though, seeing as so far only the first two have been confirmed.

I'm also assuming the joker card is wild, though it makes me wonder if that means five of a kind is possible, and what'd you'd get from a hand of five jokers.

Ummm...Rykar had a Flush and got two passes. A pair appears to give one pass. Five cards with no pair gives (apparently) nothing.

I ATE PINEAPPLE!

Profile Email Website
Fergus
 Saturday, July 10 2010 @ 09:23 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Zpatula

Quote by: Fergus

Ah, how many rail passes you get depends on how strong your hand is! Having no pair(s), straight, or flush will just net you one pass, but you'll get more for having those. I'd bet that it's set up the same as normal poker scoring:
Just five cards - 1 pass
One pair - 2 passes
Two pair - 3 passes
Three of a kind - 4 passes
Straight - 5 passes
Flush - 6 passes
Full house - 7 passes
Four of a kind - 8 passes
Straight Flush - 9 passes
Royal Flush - 10 passes
This is still just a guess, though, seeing as so far only the first two have been confirmed.

I'm also assuming the joker card is wild, though it makes me wonder if that means five of a kind is possible, and what'd you'd get from a hand of five jokers.

Ummm...Rykar had a Flush and got two passes. A pair appears to give one pass. Five cards with no pair gives (apparently) nothing.

Hmm? I see the flush now that you say it (my bad, I thought it was just a pair), though I swear I had a hand with no pairs or anything and still got a pass... I guess I read wrong, ignore me. Big Grin

Profile Email
Anonymous: Lemm
 Saturday, July 10 2010 @ 11:12 PM UTC  

I got a full house and got one pass

Sydney Fletcher
 Saturday, July 10 2010 @ 11:20 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I had a 10 and 3 of spades, a 4 and 5 of clubs, and a 7 of hearts. Got one pass.

Profile Email
zamboni
 Sunday, July 11 2010 @ 03:45 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I've been getting 1 pass for all random sets of 5 (or 6) cards. I'm hoping that the number of passes is significantly higher if you go to the trouble to trade up for a better hand.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Sunday, July 11 2010 @ 07:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: zamboni

I've been getting 1 pass for all random sets of 5 (or 6) cards. I'm hoping that the number of passes is significantly higher if you go to the trouble to trade up for a better hand.

Personally, I was going for a straight flush, and didn't realize that I had a pair of twos in it. Day's worth of hard work turned to a single pass. Will try again in the future, to test.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Alex MacMillan
 Sunday, July 11 2010 @ 10:38 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I had a flush and got three, can't remember if i got the last card to make my straight or not though.

Three of a kind and two odd cards = only one pass.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, July 11 2010 @ 02:23 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I had 5 random cards with a pair of aces and got 2 passes. Hooray! Big Grin
I think the available data is enough to show that whatever is going on, it's not poker hands.

Profile Email
Alik
 Sunday, July 11 2010 @ 05:00 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I'm attempting for a hand of all sevens of spades. Will report findings.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Sunday, July 11 2010 @ 05:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

News Flash!!

Alik and Ashtu just discovered that the "Trade cards" option in your Bio is actually a transfer utility - you can give away one or more cards, without necessarily getting anything in return!

So, ya better trust your card-playin' buddies, podners..........

Also, Ashtu has pulled a card off his bulletin board every newday, and Alik found another in the same place on the same gameday, so apparently they do replicate for different players

Thank you.

Profile Email
Ada
 Sunday, July 11 2010 @ 11:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There's a warning to that effect, actually, when you go to trade cards.

Profile Email
zamboni
 Monday, July 12 2010 @ 04:05 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Something else I've noticed is that there are two different messages that can show up on the "it's a new day" screen that seem related to cards.

One of them talks about you having a lucky day - when I get that message, I can find 2+ cards on the same day.
One of them talks about having a bad day - when I get that message, I can't find any cards that day.

When I don't get any message at all, I seem to be limited to 1 or 2 cards per day.

Profile Email
Rykar
 Monday, July 12 2010 @ 04:36 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Zamboni would be correct about that theory, as far as I can tell.

And I can tell you, it's not poker hands. This is revealed by the fact that there are no face cards.

And there is a pattern to getting more than one pass per set of cards. But I'll let people test that a little - the train man isn't giving ALL of his secrets away.

But I will tell you this - Treasure your Joker! s. If you take a joker and 4 other cards to Grand Concourse, and go to the Tracks, you just might meet the stationmaster... even better if you know how to get more than one pass at a time.

Profile Email
zamboni
 Monday, July 12 2010 @ 06:40 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Rykar

Zamboni would be correct about that theory, as far as I can tell.

And I can tell you, it's not poker hands. This is revealed by the fact that there are no face cards.

And there is a pattern to getting more than one pass per set of cards. But I'll let people test that a little - the train man isn't giving ALL of his secrets away.

But I will tell you this - Treasure your Joker! s. If you take a joker and 4 other cards to Grand Concourse, and go to the Tracks, you just might meet the stationmaster... even better if you know how to get more than one pass at a time.

So, I had a Joker and 4 stars (ace of stars, 2*3 of stars, 4 of stars) and met the stationmaster. After speaking to him, he offered me two FIRST CLASS rail passes for my hand. I spent a few days trying to improve my hand, but had no luck, so eventually took the deal. I'm not going to spoil the surprise for people, but based on the text of the 1st class pass, it looks like they may REALLY rock!

Profile Email
Alik
 Tuesday, July 13 2010 @ 12:32 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Well, one addition to my notes whilst still trying for a perfect 5 of a kind (4/5 sevens of spades), is that you can have 5 cards while there are 5 suits. Maybe i should have been trying for a seven of all kinds (Which I would have had lacking the heart suit).

Profile Email
Kel!
 Tuesday, July 13 2010 @ 12:59 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

You can actually have at least up to 10 cards. Probably more, I'll have to try that Big Grin

Profile Email
Alik
 Tuesday, July 13 2010 @ 01:19 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I always get a message that I've no place to store it or that I don't notice the card when my case is full. I guess the latter 5 or more are if they're traded to you?
Other places I've found cards routinely;
Hedge Maze one click east of PV > North Path > Fish Pond
Ashtu's Anarchy Annex south of Kittania

Profile Email
Kel!
 Tuesday, July 13 2010 @ 01:43 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

No, haven't seen any such messages yet. I got them in buildings and by trading while I already had a full case, repeatedly.

Profile Email
Rykar
 Tuesday, July 13 2010 @ 02:52 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

To answer the question about failing to pick up a card:

You have a maximum number of cards that you can gather per gameday, this is a random number between one and three.
If you get a message about feeling lucky at newday, it means that you can pick up 4 cards that day (probably)
A message about something being "out of kilter" means no cards that day.

Otherwise, you can only pick up 1, 2 or 3 cards.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Tuesday, July 13 2010 @ 03:15 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Edit: SESSINE CAN SMASH TOO.

You better not spam
You better not troll
It's not very nice
And not very droll

Santa Z is coming to SMASH!

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.77 seconds
New Topic Post Reply