Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 hmm.. haven't seen this before
 |  Printable Version
Chimental
 Tuesday, July 13 2010 @ 04:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Chimental

Edit: SESSINE CAN SMASH TOO.

You better not spam
You better not troll
It's not very nice
And not very droll

Santa Z is coming to SMASH!

Sessine the great mod
Has the power to kill trolls
He will throw out trash
With the power to SMASH
And sideburns made out of wool.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Tuesday, July 13 2010 @ 12:22 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Edit: SESSINE CAN SMASH TOO.
You better not spam
You better not troll
It's not very nice
And not very droll

Santa Z is coming to SMASH!

Sessine the great mod
Has the power to kill trolls
He will throw out trash
With the power to SMASH
And sideburns made out of wool.

...............did I miss something?

Thank you.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Tuesday, July 13 2010 @ 01:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

No, please move along now. Nothing to see here. This is not a Watcher-approved cover-up. Have a nice day!

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Alik
 Wednesday, July 14 2010 @ 12:12 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

HOKAY!

So, 5 sevens of spades =

Something seems out of kilter today, you're not sure what.
Uh-oh, your card case feels much lighter. You had 5 valuable cards here and they've all been bloody stolen! Filthy midget bast-- wait, what? What's this? In their place, you now have not just one, but 5 Improbable Island Railway Company RAIL PASSES! Awesome! ...um, so maybe it wasn't midgets after all. Critical mass, improbability, whatever. Who cares!

Bingo! XD

Next up, one of each kind. but at least no I know 5 of the exact same kind = 5 passes.

Profile Email
kireikatt
 Wednesday, July 14 2010 @ 03:56 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

i think it's one pass per number of cards that match? thats my guess, anyway. so a pair is two, three of a kind three, so on.

Profile Email
bl0b
 Wednesday, July 14 2010 @ 04:08 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Thanks guys for posting combinations. If anyone has more, slap them on. I'll post some of mine when I get something.

Wanted to say, been away for a while and managed to grab myself a case before I went away. I've quickly browsed the newday text (as always) and it looked pretty standard, that is, it looked like a standard newday description without anything new. The reason I'm saying this is because I woke up with 3 new cards which I'm pretty sure I didn't have before. Didn't get any distractions about it either. So, from reading through this thread, looks like I must have been given the cards by some curious player. It would be good to have some information in a form of distraction or something similar so I would at least know who to give the tickets back to.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Wednesday, July 14 2010 @ 04:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So yes, clearly this has to do with matching cards, not making hands. Had a straight, (2 clubs, but rest mixed) ended up with 1 pass. I'm just curious to see if the stars suit has anything to do with anything?

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Wednesday, July 14 2010 @ 05:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Notes to ponder:

Previously, every time I got five cards (no matches), I got a one day railpass and cards disappeared at newday.
At some point, I picked up a joker.
Now have total seven cards (not counting joker), been through coupla newdays, still got the cards, no new railpasses.
Looked for the stationmaster in the Concourse briefly, but no luck.

Thoughts, anyone?

Thank you.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Wednesday, July 14 2010 @ 10:22 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ashtu

Previously, every time I got five cards (no matches), I got a one day railpass and cards disappeared at newday.
At some point, I picked up a joker.
Now have total seven cards (not counting joker), been through coupla newdays, still got the cards, no new railpasses.
Looked for the stationmaster in the Concourse briefly, but no luck.

Ahem.

Finally found the stationmaster in Nepeta Halt.
By the time I found him, I had 2 Jokers, 3x9 of Diamonds, and 1 each Ace of Spades, 3 of Spades, 5 of Clubs and 7 of Diamonds.
He gave me four First Class passes.

Woot.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Alik
 Thursday, July 15 2010 @ 01:24 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

And passes survive DK's. Sweet.

Profile Email
Ada
 Thursday, July 15 2010 @ 01:37 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: bl0b

Thanks guys for posting combinations. If anyone has more, slap them on. I'll post some of mine when I get something.

Wanted to say, been away for a while and managed to grab myself a case before I went away. I've quickly browsed the newday text (as always) and it looked pretty standard, that is, it looked like a standard newday description without anything new. The reason I'm saying this is because I woke up with 3 new cards which I'm pretty sure I didn't have before. Didn't get any distractions about it either. So, from reading through this thread, looks like I must have been given the cards by some curious player. It would be good to have some information in a form of distraction or something similar so I would at least know who to give the tickets back to.

Probably they meant to give them to you, I think. People don't want to keep more than four past newday, and they don't want to throw them out, either.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Thursday, July 15 2010 @ 01:42 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

for the Too Much II list;

Seeing a battered, filthy old playing card on the pavement (a three of hearts, as it turned out), and thinking; "Something Improbable!"

I'm now waiting for the next one to show up, and for them to magically transform into rail passes overnight.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Derander
 Thursday, July 15 2010 @ 08:39 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I was just collecting 5 cards for a single pass, when I pulled 3 following cards of stars, so I thought I'd try what that gives you.

Not really in the mood/having the time to trade, I decided to dump the leftover cards on random people at first, but then realised I might be messing up people's plans, so gave them all to the missus. (Don't really remember what I gave away, which is unfortunate because next newday she had 8 cards/4 railpasses.)

Anyway, point is, I wanted to do the same thing today only to find that I can't trade cards with her anymore. As far as I can tell it's not because she's offline.

Does anybody have a similar experience? Any idea what caused it? Also, who wants random cards? :p

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Thursday, July 15 2010 @ 01:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Derander

Don't really remember what I gave away

@Derander: Do you happen to recall if any were stars?

Thank you.

Profile Email
Derander
 Thursday, July 15 2010 @ 01:52 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Yup, two four of stars.

got a joker too now, that makes collecting somewhat easier.

Also, my problem was solved. Should've figured that one out for myself...

Profile Email
bl0b
 Thursday, July 15 2010 @ 02:10 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Thanks Ada. And thanks to anonymous people who donated cards as well.
If anyone else is tired of their cards, I'm more than welcome to accept them. Especially joker cards.

So, I'm going to sum up what information there is on these fancy new cards. You have to have 5 cards at new day in order to get regular passes. Jokers prevent you from having your cards traded in at the new day and allow you to get first class tickets. Known combinations so far are (hope I didn't miss any):

2,3,5,8,8 of diamonds: 2 passes (Rykar)
"I got a full house and got one pass" (Lemm)*
10 and 3 of spades, a 4 and 5 of clubs, and a 7 of hearts = 1 pass (Sydney Fletcher)
1 pass for all random sets of 5 (or 6) cards (zamboni)
Three of a kind and two odd cards = only one pass (Alex MacMillan)**
"had a flush and got three, can't remember if i got the last card to make my straight or not though" (Alex MacMillan)***
5 random cards with a pair of aces = 2 passes (Hairy Mary)****
Joker and ace of stars, 2*3 of stars, 4 of stars = two FIRST CLASS rail passes (zamboni)
5 sevens of spades = 5 passes (Alik)
five cards (no matches) = one day railpass (Ashtu)
2 Jokers, 3x9 of Diamonds, 1 Ace of Spades, One 3 of Spades, 5 of Clubs and 7 of Diamonds = four First Class passes (Ashtu)

My assumptions are:
- Cards are awarded based on what is the highest number of EXACTLY the same cards you have. All different cards, the highest number is 1, you get one card. My guess 2 pair will award you the same as 1 pair, which is 2 rail passes (will have to try this one out)
- Jokers act as any card, so minimum you can get is 2 first class rail passes.
- Stars suit is just a regular suit
-There might be some super secret special combinations, like collecting cards of all five suits of the same denomination, or collecting 5 jokers*****, but very unlikely.

I'll post my hand up once I get one more card and I'll share the results. And if you have a hand that breaks or confirms these assumptions, please slap it on.

_________
*There is no mention of the suit, so I will assume they were different
**I will assume three of a kind were of different suit
***He says he had a flush, but not a straight, slightly insinuating at most 2 same cards. I'm hoping he missed something and actually had 3 cards that were the same
****I am guessing pair of aces was of the same suit
***** (<-- that's 5 stars, if you're still counting) Or perhaps a straight flush from Ace to Ten?

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, July 15 2010 @ 03:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Shouldn't Ashtu's final hand have given 5 passes? 3x9D + 2J = 5?

But I would suggest that if there's a lot of confirmatory evidence and just one counter example that we stick with the theory. Early on, I thought that I'd got a pass with just four cards. It turned out that I'd been given two more while I was sleeping.

I think that bl0b's onto something here, highest number of cards matching in both number and suit, with Jokers wild, and leading to First Class passes. If anyone can test this with something unusual, say 3 cards all the same, and the other two the same as each other, and see if you get three passes, or perhaps four, then that would be interesting.

Profile Email
Nathaniel S.
 Thursday, July 15 2010 @ 05:25 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Plucked a pair of sevens out of the drawer in the Timepiece today (after using a new day to collect the second.) tucked away in Numeral II

Profile Email
Rykar
 Thursday, July 15 2010 @ 11:03 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

And now, time to perform the great reveal, and confirm what people speculate about.

An EXACT pair(or more) of DUPLICATE CARDS gives you BONUS PASSES.
For example, having two Aces of Diamonds would give you a two passes at newday, and having 3 Aces of diamonds would give you three passes at newday.

You must have 5 OR MORE cards in order for them to become passes in ANY WAY.
Cards exceeding 5 don't give any extra benefit, if they're not duplicate cards.

Hands containing a JOKER can be traded in for FIRST CLASS PASSES, but ONLY by going to Track A, Grand Concourse and talking to THE STATIONMASTER.
The number of first class passes you receive is determined the same way as for regular passes.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Friday, July 16 2010 @ 02:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Rykar

Hands containing a JOKER can be traded in for FIRST CLASS PASSES, but ONLY by going to Track A, Grand Concourse and talking to THE STATIONMASTER.

A minor correction:
Quote by: Ashtu

Finally found the stationmaster in Nepeta Halt..... He gave me four First Class passes.

Apparently the Stationmaster is a lion.*

*sneaky bastard

Thank you.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.80 seconds
New Topic Post Reply