Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Making peace with jungle denizens
 |  Printable Version
Ashtu
 Monday, August 09 2010 @ 09:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Chimental

Quit Teasing Me!

But it's FUN!

Thank you.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Monday, August 09 2010 @ 11:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: tehdave

Quote by: crashtestpilot

At which point, said strict constructionist ought to review nearly every dwelling description and ask the builders: How in god's name did you build that with locally available materials? Big manors, ornate plasterwork, nuclear reactors, etc. One could, for instance, be very strict about descriptions and say, hey, if it's not likely that you could find that on the Island, you can't feature it in your dwelling.

Bolded for emphasis.
Rebuttal: If it's not likely to find something on the Island, then that just increases the chances of finding it, doesn't it?
There's perhaps a Million to One chance of finding enough plaster to do a statue of the Watcher sternly looking over the gate of your mansion. Meaning if you want one there, you'll probably find the plaster.

Rebuttal of rebuttal: By that logic we'd be wading knee deep in flying pigs, hippos wearing pink tutus and honest politicians. This isn't the case. I say that CTP's point stands.

Profile Email
Azhron
 Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 12:03 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

At which point, said strict constructionist ought to review nearly every dwelling description and ask the builders: How in god's name did you build that with locally available materials? Big manors, ornate plasterwork, nuclear reactors, etc. One could, for instance, be very strict about descriptions and say, hey, if it's not likely that you could find that on the Island, you can't feature it in your dwelling.

Bolded for emphasis.
Rebuttal: If it's not likely to find something on the Island, then that just increases the chances of finding it, doesn't it?
There's perhaps a Million to One chance of finding enough plaster to do a statue of the Watcher sternly looking over the gate of your mansion. Meaning if you want one there, you'll probably find the plaster.

Rebuttal of rebuttal: By that logic we'd be wading knee deep in flying pigs, hippos wearing pink tutus and honest politicians. This isn't the case. I say that CTP's point stands.

Rebuttal of rebuttal of rebuttal: Uuum... We are knee deep in those things. Particularly the hippos. That's kinda the point of the game. Big Grin

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 12:10 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

.....knee deep in......honest politicians.....

Nope. Sorry. Not even our Island is improbable enough for that. Not even to a midget's knees.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 12:15 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Bolded for emphasis.

I am now confused about who has made what point here, who's espousing the viewpoint of the strict constructionist (it's not CTP, anyway), and who has been pulling whose leg... but as for the pigs, hippos, and politicians... *squint* Well, we've got flying helper monkeys.

That must count for something.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 12:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Bolded for emphasis.

I am now confused about who has made what point here, who's espousing the viewpoint of the strict constructionist (it's not CTP, anyway), and who has been pulling whose leg... but as for the pigs, hippos, and politicians... *squint* Well, we've got flying helper monkeys.

That must count for something.

As I understand it, CTP argued against strict constructivism on the basis that we'd have to go through dwellings banning anything that was unlikely to be found on the Island. TehDave rebutted that by saying that anything unlikely is likely to turn up. I rebutted his rebuttal (I say) by pointing out that there are lots of highly unlikely things that don't turn up. Just being unlikely is therefore insufficient. Thus indirectly supporting CTP and confusing the hell out of everyone. Myself included.

There. Simple really.

Profile Email
Skidge
 Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 04:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Bolded for emphasis.

Skidge IS knee-deep in those things. I deliberately constantly HAVE those things in the background when I RP, specifically for that reason; because they should be randomly popping up all the time.

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 10:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh Christ, where to begin:

Okay: I accept the idea that if it's improbable, you'll find it here. Which probably is why some buildings I'm involved with have...lots of unthemely stuff in them.

Which refutes my own argument. Which was an argument against strict construciv-something.

My original point was, yes, it's a War on Improbability. Which makes it even more Improbable that one would seek to parlay/make peace/make love (! Now there's a combat option. Go ahead. Make SWEET LOVE to that...zombie chicken/helper monkey/panthzer/god-damn aye aye. You could learn that skill in AceHigh. Or worse, New Pittsburg. MMMM. Sweet, rotten zombie love. Damn, girl.) with the monsters.

Which is what makes it themely.

I say, yes, we can talk to the animals.

But I really just want to ....make sweet love to them.
Which could have comical effects.
Which could be race-specific.

IE: human vs. malfunctioning toaster = horrible burns.
robot vs. malfunctioning toaster=stamina boost.

Midget vs. Fat Butcher = hit point loss from butchery.
Zombie vs. Fat Butcher = stamina boost, but you're stuffed!

And so on.

Is that too weird?

~CTP

(damage bonus if making sweet love when armed with pork sword)

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 11:29 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I sorta got sidetracked there. Onto a new argument.

I say if we can talk to the animals, then we can make them love us.
And we can love them back.
Hard.

Damn. MMM. That is one sexy looking plastic shoppin' bag.
She got it going on.
Oh, and better yet.
Asphyxiation hazard, and do not leave near small children.

I am a sick bastard.

~CTP

Profile Email
Temper
 Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 11:41 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Human+ That Cutie from Work= Restore all hp but lose some Stamina
Zombie/Midget+ That Cutie From Work= Loss in Hp and Stamina from her horrified reaction

I could *Snicker*, how you say, get behind that idea.

I guess I'm not much better.

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Sunday, August 22 2010 @ 07:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If you try to talk to the diplomat, you enter long and complex negotiations. Finally, you work away with a long treaty agreeing to ...something.

You may lose/gain cig/req but you don't know. Who can understand what you put down in there?

Talk to severe nun: rap across the knuckles, lose hp.

Talk to Grimpot: +++Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start+++
Retakes you to the start of the encounter.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Alex MacMillan
 Thursday, August 26 2010 @ 07:42 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I sorta got sidetracked there. Onto a new argument.

I say if we can talk to the animals, then we can make them love us.
And we can love them back.
Hard.

Damn. MMM. That is one sexy looking plastic shoppin' bag.
She got it going on.
Oh, and better yet.
Asphyxiation hazard, and do not leave near small children.

I am a sick bastard.

~CTP

I am both incredibly amused and slightly horrified by the idea of this.

Profile Email
Harris
 Thursday, August 26 2010 @ 06:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Cousjava

If you try to talk to the diplomat, you enter long and complex negotiations. Finally, you work away with a long treaty agreeing to ...something.

You may lose/gain cig/req but you don't know. Who can understand what you put down in there?

Talk to severe nun: rap across the knuckles, lose hp.

Talk to Grimpot: +++Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start+++
Retakes you to the start of the encounter.

I like this. Making *peace*? No. It's a WAR, and we've already too many folks making the otherwise interesting and damn funny game very, VERY boring by making it an "AS Improbable Island Turns" (in game) melodrama fest.

But instead of a "make peace" option a "C. Other" [maybe call it "think your way out? (No irony in this show, no Sir!)"] option sounds like it'd work quite well for gameplay AND roleplay, the way you lay it out.

It also sounds like it'd be involved enough of a change that it'd necessarily have to wait 'til season three. But the Powers that Be would know that better than I. Powers, what say you?

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Epaphus
 Friday, August 27 2010 @ 10:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Harris

But instead of a "make peace" option a "C. Other" [maybe call it "think your way out?

We already have that: "Think your way out" is called "don't go into the jungle at all." Think about it--there are dangerous monsters there.* Some of them will frown at you quite crossly and smite you repeatedly with whatever's at hand.**
_____

* And clowns ... and spiders. Maybe even clown-spiders.

** Even your own hand. I've had it happen to me, repeatedly. Fortunately they grow back after I immerse the stubs in the Skronky Pot for an hour. The smell tends to linger, though.

Profile Email
Harris
 Saturday, August 28 2010 @ 07:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

*brains at Epaphus*

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Alik
 Saturday, August 28 2010 @ 09:44 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Or perhaps he and the monster would stare at each other for a moment before sharing the bacony goodness. Mr. Green[/p]

Perhaps you could eat bacon grenades for a stam boost?
Bacon Grenades: Throw 'em, eat 'em, enjoy the bacony goodness as strips of pork burst heavily upon you and your foe :3

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.67 seconds
New Topic Post Reply