Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Force Generator
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: pr0k
 Tuesday, September 28 2010 @ 05:50 PM UTC  

Nerf the force generator?...

Fine, I'll quit ;-)

I'm one of those who doesn't HAVE the time to roleplay a ton. My profile is weeks old, I'm not a midget any more.

For me, I have fun with the other aspect of it: Trying to get a fast DK, or competing with people to get on the hall of fame for a ton of cigs, or seeing if I can keep on top of the list for certain things. I know people whose Suicidal is at .005, they've played that long. (Or at least I did know him before the dwellings debacle.)

So, in my case, the RP is secondary, I do it occasionally, but it's not a high priority on my list.

In keeping with the fun of competition, I started with rank 1, 2, 3, 4 DK's and kept going. My goal is to play the most 7's, or try to. With a force generator, at least I don't get hit very often, but heck yeah, I get one-shotted when I do. That's ok right now, I could use the medal for 25 failboats or w/e it is Smile But please, don't nerf the force generator. I would guess for more average players like me, it gets used quite a bit.

I don't even start a rank 7 DK with much money, it's mostly 5k-25k. Due to time zone differences here, I rarely in my travels see a titan before it's dead, and due to my low attack (I pumped defense first, before I knew the game a little better) I don't get a ton of req. I never have. I *do* have to work through a rank 7 for quite some time before I can afford a FG, much less ANY of the other armors.

I can see your point, having played more than a few of the lower ranks with a FG, then it's a little ridiculous. Sometimes you can even go without a weapon - well, if you have 40 base defense. If nothing else perhaps increase the price.

crashtestpilot
 Tuesday, September 28 2010 @ 09:22 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

@AF: Speaking of warm fuzzies, you just gave me some with that nice sentence.
Lots of love right back at you, sir!

So, one of the hopes I had here was that someone super-knowledgeable would share their carefully pored over spreadsheet re: prices/items/abilities, or refer me to a thread that I remain blissfully unaware of wherein the attribute/req/cig/special ability matrix of various SSoS items were discussed exhaustively.

That hasn't happened yet.

So I guess it's up to me.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtptEwv4EeEjdFN1bWd1UG5QWXlEOV9Yai0wTmJWVWc&hl=en, or, if you prefer: http://tinyurl.com/improbableitems

It's open, and anyone can edit and add. I've started with weapons. Please feel free to copy, edit, share, post, contribute, natter about, etc.

I'd like to add more data (and now anyone can), and massage it, until we can derive, say, what a 2 cig cost means vis a vis req, what special abilities of various kinds ought to cost, and so forth.

In any case, I'll follow AF's suggestion, and pop the top on a new thread under Feature Requests, Ideas & Feedback, dubbed Improbable Items.

See you there, I hope.

All best,

~CTP

Profile Email
Ada
 Wednesday, September 29 2010 @ 12:29 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

As it goes, I'm still of the opinion that the Force Generator does what it's good at too well for its relative ease of acquisition. But I think I'll probably leave it at that, since most other discussion I can think of about the FG would just be me repeating myself. I think we've really opened up a much larger can of worms here: there is a real problem concerning Requisition and how it changes up the Progression part of the game when you figure out tricks to easily get a lot of it early on in a DK.

I'm not so sure about the principle behind this, actually. I think the more interesting and motivating progression in the game is probably from DK to DK, rather than within a single DK. Even before the really easy ways to gain a lot of req at the beginning of a DK (read: titans), I didn't slowly work my way up the gear ladder. For most of my early DKs, I would buy two weapons, tops, (rock drill, riot hammer). I was a kittymorph for most of that, so I disregarded armour entirely. Once I hit joker, often I just ran about naked until I realized I had enough req for a plasma gun or something neat, and then I would get that. Only in my very, very early DKs, (probably only the first four or so) did I really follow much of a gear progression. Even then I realized that the more gear you buy, the more req you waste selling it back to get to the better gear, and I kept the number of weapons and armours I would buy to the minimum. I always saw the other progressions - gaining DKs, finding more at Sheila's, getting DK atk points, playing higher and higher ranks - to be far more interesting. If DKing was a slog because the game insisted that I follow a slow progression in each one, I would probably have gotten bored with it completely, earlier, rather than being bored with it mostly, now.
I do agree that getting huge amounts of req to carry over is a bit absurd, but I think that the req gained from a Dan quest just makes the game more interesting, because you have more options at the beginning.

Profile Email
Bakemaster
 Wednesday, September 29 2010 @ 04:25 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

pr0k: If someone told you their base suicidal hunting cost was 0.005% stamina, they were lying to you. You could get the cost down to 0.05% stamina with the help of a very good Joker buff and some of the food items that reduce hunting costs, but the base suicidal hunting cost would still be more like 2%. I'm not sure it's possible to get the net cost down to 0.005% at all, even assuming an optimum situation with maxed skill level and Joker buff... but I don't know how the food buffs interact with Joker buffs for hunting, so I can't be sure. In any case, how long you've played doesn't have a ton to do with it, as the skill level is one of the less potent factors in getting cheap hunting, compared to the Joker and food buffs.

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.32 seconds
New Topic Post Reply