Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Way to back out of selecting your rank right away.
 |  Printable Version
Matthew
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 03:00 AM UTC (Read 12586 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

When you first enter the jungles, you select your rank, right? There should be an 'oops' button for going back to the outpost without selecting one and being able to do it select again the next time you go to the Jungles.

It's really, really frustrating to preparing for a 7 or Bastard run and then accidentally hit the Jungle button because you're being inattentive or you hit it by habit. I am pretty livid at myself right now for having gotten pretty decently well into preparing for it and now having to do a Rank 5 instead.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 03:37 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Matthew

When you first enter the jungles, you select your rank, right? There should be an 'oops' button for going back to the outpost without selecting one and being able to do it select again the next time you go to the Jungles.

It's really, really frustrating to preparing for a 7 or Bastard run and then accidentally hit the Jungle button because you're being inattentive or you hit it by habit. I am pretty livid at myself right now for having gotten pretty decently well into preparing for it and now having to do a Rank 5 instead.

**commiseration** I've cursed myself more than once for similar reasons. But, no, I don't think we should be able to back out. I like it that there's that irrevocable moment of truth when -- no backing out, this is it, no escape! -- you have to choose.

And if you weren't ready... hey, don't grumble. It could have been worse! Breathe fervent words of gratitude that the choice was not added to the end of the DK process, as it so easily could have been. At least, this way, you will be able to kill the drive and get another shot at executing your plan.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 03:40 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yeah, I don't think CMJ intends for that to be a "DK rank preparation grace period". He's said before that he doesn't support Rank 0 activity, he just hasn't made efforts to streamline the switch from the previous DK to the new DK's rank.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 03:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Having to select it at the beginning of a DK makes absolutely no sense to me, then, because not only are Bastard ranks far too hard without some of the more expensive equipment... well, it makes the Elephant Gun and Cat Launcher and such pretty well worthless if there's never going to be a chance to afford them, right? Trying to Titan Hunt while on a Bastard run strikes me as an extremely awesome way to just get yourself killed a whole bunch.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 03:51 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

well, I think Bastard Rank itself is supposed to be an extremely awesome way to get killed a whole bunch...

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 03:55 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Having to select it at the beginning of a DK makes absolutely no sense to me, then, because not only are Bastard ranks far too hard without some of the more expensive equipment... well, it makes the Elephant Gun and Cat Launcher and such pretty well worthless if there's never going to be a chance to afford them, right? Trying to Titan Hunt while on a Bastard run strikes me as an extremely awesome way to just get yourself killed a whole bunch.

Yes, well, we all know that. But Fred's right -- and if we make a big deal of it, we may just see the 'loophole' closed, y'know?

Edit: Too late.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 03:57 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Yeah, I don't think CMJ intends for that to be a "DK rank preparation grace period". He's said before that he doesn't support Rank 0 activity, he just hasn't made efforts to streamline the switch from the previous DK to the new DK's rank.

Fixed now. When players start asking me to build extra stuff on top of bugs, it's time to just fix the damned bugs. For a while the redirect was set to the forest, because hooking into the village caused infinite redirect loops - the redirect problem has been fixed, so this can hook into the village where it's supposed to be.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 03:58 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Far too hard?

It's called Bastard Rank. In fact, if you go by the nav text, it's called BAAAAASTAAAARD RAAAAAANK! in bright red letters.

Yes. It's hard. Smile

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 03:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, whoops, me and my big mouth. Sorry, guys. I suppose it's no longer an issue, then. I guess I can't feel too bad, if it's been considered a bug for such a long time. I can think of a few certain people on the Island who are now going to fucking hate me now, though... ;_;

edit: Though, I do have to ask: were players ever intended to be able to beat bastard rank? I can definitely still see a 7 being very possible, if you start with a plasma gun and such, but was Bastard always meant to just be a laugh? "Haha, look at how hard this is!"

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 04:07 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Nothing in the game is designed to be impossible - but Bastard Rank came about as a result of me seeing players linger until lv15 at normal difficulty, then head into the forest, choose Rank 7, and beat the drive.

(yeah, I don't think there's a way you can say that so that it doesn't sound like blatant cheating Wink )

I saw lots of people beating R7 without really realizing how widespread the cheating was, and thought "Well now, clearly we need another rank on top! An extra-special, Bastard-hard rank!"

It's interesting to note that if a bug is left uncorrected for long enough, then cheating becomes the norm - and if cheating's the norm, then it isn't really cheating anymore, because nobody has an advantage. Sadly, this did kinda make the Rank system pretty much meaningless.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 04:08 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

if you start with a plasma gun

And yes, the fact that this is still possible is due to horrendously bad game balancing on my part. :-/ This is down to the Prancing SpiderKitty quests, right?

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 04:13 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I guess I feel a little better about it, after reading all that, but I do still feel pretty responsible for annoying a lot of people and just being a whiny jerk in general.

And... I can't say I see saving the Dan quests through a DK as cheating at all. It strikes me more as strategy, and 2.5k or even 25k isn't that huge of an advantage to start with, when everyone else is perfectly capable of doing it as well. It's just being prepared for that Rank 7 you want to get done, I would think!

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 04:14 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: CavemanJoe

if you start with a plasma gun

And yes, the fact that this is still possible is due to horrendously bad game balancing on my part. :-/ This is down to the Prancing SpiderKitty quests, right?

(Please don't plug all the 'loopholes' at once, huh?)

The game just got harder. It was always going to. Now it is. Let's see what the power gamers can do with that, hm?

Profile Email
Adder Moray
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 04:35 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Matthew. Matt, Matt, Matty, my boy.

Run.

Just run.

I can hear them coming for your blood already.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 04:37 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Oh, Matt. Don't feel too bad - someone was bound to do it sooner or later. Wink

(and hell, even if they didn't, I might have just woken up one day and thought "Right, time to fix that awful Rank System bug that's been hanging around for far too long.)

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 04:49 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Oh, Matt. Don't feel too bad - someone was bound to do it sooner or later. Wink

(and hell, even if they didn't, I might have just woken up one day and thought "Right, time to fix that awful Rank System bug that's been hanging around for far too long.)

You're making it sound like I did everyone a favor!

Quote by: Adder+Moray

Matthew. Matt, Matt, Matty, my boy.

Run.

Just run.

I can hear them coming for your blood already.

Don't you worry. I'm already drafting plans for my secret underwater palace. There, I will be safe. From the torches, at least.

Profile Email
Anonymous: A Familiar Looking Suit of Armor
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 04:54 AM UTC  

Aaaaaand it's times like these that I am so very happy I don't actually do any DKing. Wink

Anonymous: Lynch Mob Leader
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 04:54 AM UTC  

**starts giving his/her lynch mob the orders and directions to Matthew's house**

Iriana
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 06:49 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Edit: Too late.

Gosh, such a ring of finality.

But--though I've never done a R7 or a Bastard, so I'm sure I didn't appreciate the "grace period" as much as some did--I think it's a good thing, having the bug fixed. Now the standard method for beating hard Ranks will have to be rethought. And standard gets boring, doesn't it? (Correct answer: yes it's absolutely mind-numbing.)

However, on a related note, is it possible that the game could ask for confirmation when a) you ask the Watcher to lower your Rank and b) when you choose a Rank? I've accidentally lowered myself from 5 to 4 and that is a pain in the ass.

Profile Email
ByteKing
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 07:43 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Ha! Think about trying to collect your Dan quest. No more Rank 0 travel to IC, THEN choosing your rank.

Too funny. Though I'm crying on the inside. Laughing Out Loud

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.78 seconds
New Topic Post Reply