Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Way to back out of selecting your rank right away.
 |  Printable Version
Silcatra
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 10:11 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I'm not sure how much I like this new lack of grace period. While I do agree that it's ridiculous to do a 0 until you're level 15 and then face the Drive at rank 7 and get a 7 that way (and I feel it's pointless to do a 7 that way. AND I'd wanted to get a rank 0 in at some point and now that won't happen) I also valued the grace period to try and prepare for those tougher ranks.

There's already precedent for where if you hang around for too long at level 15, a crowd carries you to meet the Drive. Maybe there could be something similar for choosing a rank? If you haven't picked one within 3 game days or so (not enough time to get that high level on a rank 0 run) then someone hunts you down (Corporal Punishment, perhaps?) yells at you, you have to pick a rank right then and you lose some charm from the shame of your cowardice?

Profile Email
Matthew
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 10:28 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That's a compromise I'm really fond of, I must say. It gives you at least a little bit of time, but it still nips the main problems in the bud.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 12:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Adder+Moray

Matthew. Matt, Matt, Matty, my boy.
Run.
Just run.
I can hear them coming for your blood already.

Quote by: Matthew

Don't you worry. I'm already drafting plans for my secret underwater palace. There, I will be safe. From the torches, at least.

Um - Dan - you still got that PVP module lying around?

Thank you.

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 12:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew
Don't you worry. I'm already drafting plans for my secret underwater palace. There, I will be safe. From the torches, at least.[/p]

You should have built the palace first, then got everyone after you. That's how to be safe.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Maniak
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 12:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Silcatra

I'm not sure how much I like this new lack of grace period. While I do agree that it's ridiculous to do a 0 until you're level 15 and then face the Drive at rank 7 and get a 7 that way (and I feel it's pointless to do a 7 that way. AND I'd wanted to get a rank 0 in at some point and now that won't happen) I also valued the grace period to try and prepare for those tougher ranks.

There's already precedent for where if you hang around for too long at level 15, a crowd carries you to meet the Drive. Maybe there could be something similar for choosing a rank? If you haven't picked one within 3 game days or so (not enough time to get that high level on a rank 0 run) then someone hunts you down (Corporal Punishment, perhaps?) yells at you, you have to pick a rank right then and you lose some charm from the shame of your cowardice?

3 game days is plenty. Time it right with a breached outpost, and you can DK in 2 days, easily. I know I did. It would be better if you could increase the rank within the first 3 levels, either on the failboat or have Tynan from Squathole hang a huge weight around your neck. That's sure to toughen it up.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
talkydoor
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 12:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm doomed.

Although I've already thought of a loophole within a loophole that a lucky person could exploit, and still get a rank 0. The question is, do I feel lucky?

(Surely the whole point of these bugs is for us to try to exploit them, and Dan to try to fix them before we can? It's like a game within a game!)

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 02:20 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

CMJ, may I be the first* to say: Thank you.

I got my Bastard Rank DK's the old fasioned way - hard graft and heavy ordnance. And a Dan-Quest reward to start me off, I'll admit, but none of this poncy spending days hunting crates before picking a rank. It kind of irked me to see people walking around at level one on a Bastard Rank with a Double-Barelled Cat Launcher and MkII Force Generator.

So thank you.
Now I'll go get another Bastard Rank, to prove it can still be done :-)

My only disappointment is that it happened before I got 'round to doing a Rank 0.

*apologies if somebody else has. I haven't quite read the whole thread

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 06:25 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

First: D: and argh and blarghle and panickly flailing.

Second: yesIknowit'sonlyagameandit'sCMJ'sgameandIshouldjustshush.

Third: I agree with Sil. Perhaps, if not a gamedays requirement, a levelling thing? If you go to the Dojo, or if you get hunted down, you have to chose your rank before the fight?

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Zolotisty
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 06:29 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Buddleia

First: D: and argh and blarghle and panickly flailing.

Second: yesIknowit'sonlyagameandit'sCMJ'sgameandIshouldjustshush.

Third: I agree with Sil. Perhaps, if not a gamedays requirement, a levelling thing? If you go to the Dojo, or if you get hunted down, you have to chose your rank before the fight?

Nope. Nyet. Sorry gang. For all of you making sad faces about never having had an opportunity to run an R0 -- er, you weren't... supposed to have... in the first place.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Mister Rawr
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 06:50 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Zolotisty

never having had an opportunity to run an R0

Also, been done. Not by me. If I'm not mistaken it was Zpatula who did, and though I'm foggy on the name, I'm not about the result:

Wait for it.

Nada.

Zilch.

No record of DK. No magical "Rank 0!" popped up and began shower make-believe fireworks. No game-ending wonderbug. Just simply nothin'. They started the next DK with no record of the last.

Talk about a buzz kill. I was pouty about that for days. You'd think that the least a game like Improbable Island could do is generate its own self-aware easter eggs without the knowledge or planning of its programmers beforehand, right? If there were ever going to be a ghost in the machine, this's where it'd be.

Oh, there is?

Uhm... okay, I'll shut up then. And somebody make it cookies, please. I understand they like those.

~R

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 08:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Whoo, game streamlining! Sorry for the players' strategies it messes up, but it was essentially an exploit. I also would rather see the DanQuest reward thing go away, but maybe we need time to see what high ranks really need now that the crate-hunting stuff is gone for Bastard/R7 preparations.

Of course, the simplest way to remove the DanQuest "exploit" (I use that term loosely here as well) is to end the quest and all its progress upon DK, and when you talk to him next, he has a new quest for you. But again, one major-exploit-that-was-part-of-a-strategy fix at a time, eh?

Edit: Since I can never be sure how unclear my strange wordifying is, lemme state it bluntly. I think it's wrong for us players to be able to start every DK with 25k requisition through use of the PSK quests. It's obviously not intended because the reason why we lose our items and requisition is to start each DK clean and independent of req earned in the previous DK. Sure, it will get much harder to do high ranks if this issue is fixed. But high ranks are supposed to be challenging.

So I'd like to see that PSK quest exploit fixed.

However, since the larger way that people get money and prepare and trivialize the difficulty of Bastard Rank was just fixed, maybe we should put an artificial delay on fixing the PSK quest exploit until players get used to doing those high-rank DKs with the Rank-0 exploit fixed.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 08:50 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

As I understand it, and I'm not a great game player so I may have got this completely wrong, another way of starting with more than normal req is to go titan hunting just before you go for tea with H. The reward comes when the titan dies, so if you time it right, you can knock a titan down to small HP, DK straight away, and then get your reward the next day.

So its not just Dan quests.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 08:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I don't know how difficult this would be to do, but what if the danquest item as actually added to your inventory? It wouldn't help on the last one, with the panes of existence and all that, you'd have to find a new way to do it, but it could drop from your inventory at a DK.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 09:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: dizzyizzy

I don't know how difficult this would be to do, but what if the danquest item as actually added to your inventory? It wouldn't help on the last one, with the panes of existence and all that, you'd have to find a new way to do it, but it could drop from your inventory at a DK.

This crossed my head too, but the last point was exactly why I didn't suggest it. Furthermore, that would just delete the item and then you'd just go search for it again--or worse, the quest mob would never be able to reappear again, and Dan will still ask you for that, and if you didn't know it worked like this, you'd never consider abandoning the quest to fix it.

The quest needs to be abandoned on DK, I would think. Maybe even a nice little text blurb at the end of a DK will come up if you had an uncompleted Dan Quest up, where the player sees some of the new 6 Improbability Drives defeating the Hatred Demon Elemental of Power or whatever. Wink

Profile Email
Maniak
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 09:50 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Having the item in your inventory would help loads. It would give you a clear way of knowing if you've completed your quest or not. As for the ending the final 25k quest, a scar? Or, you know, since you're fiddling with quests anyway. Let the monster drop something else.

Since you have amnesia after the DK, how is the player supposed to know what his quest was? Dan certainly isn't keeping track of it. *

Honestly the whole way quests are set up is silly Improbable. You collect 2 or 3 items you need to defeat the big monster, yet you give those items to Dan as proof. How am I supposed to battle the final boss monster without those items?

*See Dan the monster.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Wednesday, December 01 2010 @ 12:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

And, you know, given the opportunity to sleep and think on it some more, the less sorry I am! If anyone gives me crap for this, I guess my answer is "oh gee I'm sorry you can't cheat anymore Frown".

But I am glad to see that people have mostly stayed the torches and pitchforks... for now.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Wednesday, December 01 2010 @ 12:36 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

But I am glad to see that people have mostly stayed the torches and pitchforks... for now.[/p]

Only because they don't do enough damage. Razz

Profile Email
Anonymous: HoratioHornblower
 Wednesday, December 01 2010 @ 12:53 AM UTC  

bl0b
 Wednesday, December 01 2010 @ 01:58 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Yay! Did a R0 DK before the bugfix! And, yay, bugfix!
Have to agree with talkydoor a bit. Part of the fun is to try and break the game. Not to try and cheat, gain unfair advantage or anything like that. Well, ok, exactly like that, but only to see if it's doable. Part of the fun for me.
Lessee 'ere. What are possible ways of getting a R0 DK now? Would starting in an overrun village be the answer? Could even do a 1-day bastard rank!

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

As I understand it, and I'm not a great game player so I may have got this completely wrong, another way of starting with more than normal req is to go titan hunting just before you go for tea with H. The reward comes when the titan dies, so if you time it right, you can knock a titan down to small HP, DK straight away, and then get your reward the next day.
So its not just Dan quests.

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

[snip]So I'd like to see that PSK quest exploit fixed.[/snip]

I don't mind PSK quests on bastard rank. Not too long ago, that was one crate deposited into your inventory by a friend for free. It's not that much, really, and it helps speed up the things a bit. Like, not having to wait for a month while your account accumulates enough req for a lightning suit Razz
Titans on the other hand... Let's just say stashing 25K req away is really not hard at all, if you consider titans. I don't think the huge rewards are necessarily bad when awarded on the same DK run, but the ability to transfer them between DKs, well,... Defeats the purpose of the bugfix.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, December 01 2010 @ 06:01 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Maniak

Since you have amnesia after the DK...

No you don't.

Or, you don't have to.

I mean, yes, the DK flavor text says the Watcher gives you merciful amnesia after the DK 'cuz, woe, you look different, you're a different race, and it's all traumatic and such... but really. Who actually plays it that way through more than... a few DKs at most? Makes a joke out of roleplaying continuity. Everyone eventually ignores it.

Amnesia once -- okay, maybe. Amnesia hundreds of times in a row? Nope. That memory-wipe drug has to stop working after multiple exposures. On some people it's never worked at all.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.77 seconds
New Topic Post Reply