Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Alternative Characters
 |  Printable Version
dizzyizzy
 Monday, March 21 2011 @ 02:30 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

that last line scares me... I really don't want to have to choose who to keep as my main. I play two vastly different characters for a reason.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Monday, March 21 2011 @ 02:47 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

It scared you in the wrong direction, good sir. Smile And that's all I will say about that.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Monday, March 21 2011 @ 02:49 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zolotisty

Beeps, the player in question was indeed handled when it was not three o'bastard clock in the morning. If anyone has questions about the action moderators take with players ("why was so and so permanently muted?" "what was the resolution of this thing that i saw happening?"), you should feel free to Distract any of us, and we'll either be able to inform you or point you toward the mod who took action with the player so that they can tell you themselves.

However, I dislike players raising thinly veiled questions about their peers on the forum, especially for recently modded situation. This thread is not the place to pose hypotheticals regarding what happens when a player is being a dick with their alt; that's the place of the mods to work, and as you correctly implied, the player was being a dick. Surprise, surprise, guess what happens when you're breaking rule one on the Island. Confused

Doing precisely this now.

On the other hand, this kind of meta-roleplay -- a roleplayer roleplaying a roleplayer, if you will -- usually goes hand in hand with a level of dishonesty that a lot of people find inoffensive in the moment, as they're doing it. But in practice, it can have some farther reaching ramifications. I know I have personally hurt feelings and betrayed trusts by pretending to be an alt, even for a little while, and carrying the meta-fiction too far. I've seen lots of other people do it too, and it's shit.

I'm entirely guilty of this. I think everyone is aware of this, though, as it was explained (In detail, to some unfortunate souls who actually asked) once the events had transpired. I never got any complaints, but if people don't like what I'm doing, I entirely invite them to tell me so. I can't get better if I'm not told what people don't like. That said, if your complaint is that I'm a rabbit with a (bad) cockney accent, you may just have to deal with it. Cool

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Matthew
 Monday, March 21 2011 @ 04:08 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

On the one hand, I'm a roleplayer. I understand the appeal of being mistaken for a new player who doesn't have any history with Islanders, either IC or OOC. Sometimes it's good to get away from your usual crowd and your usual character to play a different personality. It's liberating. You can do some stuff that you don't normally do.

This is what I'd meant by 'spoiling the point of alts'. If everyone knows its you, on some level, subconscious or not, they're going to treat you differently than they would otherwise, and that just seems like it defeats the entire purpose of creating an RP alt to begin with.

Alts are not always used for roleplay purposes. If we've got a troll in NewHome who happens to be spawning hydra heads, or someone's doing some cheaty bastard shit with the game mechanics, then that's not only good to know, but sort of imperative.

Yes- you're right. Sometimes I forget that most people on the internet are nasty and horrible, and I'm glad that I've come to assume that everyone on Improbable Island is an Upstanding Internet Citizen. I guess some aforementioned leak through the cracks, and tend not to last too long.
(Don't mean to passive-aggressively insult anyone by saying that, by the way. If I thought someone was nasty and horrible, I would have already let them know, really.)

Quote by: Beeps

That said, if your complaint is that I'm a rabbit with a (bad) cockney accent, you may just have to deal with it. Cool

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.40 seconds
New Topic Post Reply