Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 It's that time again - let's talk about the Hunter's Lodge!
 |  Printable Version
Awesome Fred
 Friday, September 23 2011 @ 02:01 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

2 days sounds really, really short. I don't play every day because I'm always wary about my habit of getting addicted to games, and so it's very easy to miss a second day and be out of luck.

I'd have put it at a week.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Friday, September 23 2011 @ 02:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

B-But Devorah regularly goes 2-3 days without logging in! How do I get her back into bed so I can keep getting the giant stam bonus when she's kicked out?

Profile Email
Beeps
 Friday, September 23 2011 @ 02:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Have you tried romantic music and a bottle of champagne?

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Devorah
 Friday, September 23 2011 @ 02:39 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: dizzyizzy

B-But Devorah regularly goes 2-3 days without logging in! How do I get her back into bed so I can keep getting the giant stam bonus when she's kicked out?

Is there a way to set it so that if it's your own dwelling you don't get kicked out? There are times where I'm unable to log in for a few days and would love to come back to that giant stam bonus that we're working so hard to get to.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Friday, September 23 2011 @ 02:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Beeps

Have you tried romantic music and a bottle of champagne?

What's the point, when she's already unconscious? Razz

Two days is too short, and there should be protection for place owner/key of keys holders.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, September 23 2011 @ 06:17 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Quote by: Count+Sessine

A fairly expensive, customizable, Hunter's Lodge item that, when placed in a slot in a room, would allow the owner to limit the time people can sleep in any beds in the room to X days.

This would be an automatic 'kick out of the place' at system newday, if the character's 'laston' date is longer ago than X real-world days. Well, or it could be specified in game days. And you could customize it in Cadfael's -- for more supporter points -- to tailor the 'you were kicked-out' message.

Why people would buy: Many players build altruistic dwellings offering sleeping accommodation for passers-by. A stay of one, two, or three days may be fine, or even a week, but when characters just take up residence, log out, and don't come back, this generous purpose is frustrated.

Altruism only goes so far. Going back every day to track who's been in which bed for how long, checking in the contestants' list to see how long it's been since they logged in, and then booting out people who have overstayed their welcome... is a bigger time commitment than most people are willing to devote to a charitable purpose. The result is that beds fill up with characters who are not being played. This is especially a problem in NewHome and IC, but there are many places this kind of security guard would be welcomed.

Why this should cost supporter points: It's not something needed in every Place, only the public or semi-public ones. There should be spots, too, and plenty of them, where a player is allowed to log out freely for longer terms, at the discretion of the owner. The same effect can be obtained by someone regularly taking the time and trouble to go through the above steps in person, so it's not going to exclude anyone who can't afford to donate, but it is a sufficiently attractive labour-saving device that people will want it.

Why I want it? I want railroad guards who will go through the train stations rousting people who sleep too long on the benches in the passenger waiting halls. That's eight sales right there! Big Grin

Edited to add: And for further SP goodness, you could have to pay a maintenance fee in SPs, so that it wouldn't simply be a one-time purchase. Not prohibitive like the teleporter beacons... more along the lines of the guards you could hire for dwellings in S1: in other words, an affordable trickle, but an ongoing reason to keep your supporter points topped up. Maybe something on the order of 1 SP per real-world day, automatically deducted.

See, I think this is how beds should work by default. Double beds in particular, which are full of Horrible Bugs because of the Horribly Complicated way they work. I've made it so that more than two real-life days is an auto-kick.

Annd... yeah. I'd have said two days is way too short for a default that's going to apply to every bed. For wooden benches in a train station, sure. But for beds in someone's home? Especially those complicated double beds, which are high-investment two-player projects. If there has to be a default kick-out, seven days would be better; for some reason most people's real-world lives are paced by weeks and weekends.

Could you see your way clear to making the allowed number of days a setting that can be dynamically adjusted at will by the Place owner -- at least for customized furniture, which already has item prefs?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, September 23 2011 @ 06:47 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

A little clarification on that... "auto-kick" was a poor choice of words.

After you've been in bed for two RL days, the flag telling the game not to let anyone else in the bed expires. You won't get "kicked out" per se. If you trigger a new day you'll still get your Stamina. It's just that the bed opens up for other people to use while you're logged-out.

Profile Email Website
dizzyizzy
 Friday, September 23 2011 @ 06:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A little clarification on that... "auto-kick" was a poor choice of words.

After you've been in bed for two RL days, the flag telling the game not to let anyone else in the bed expires. You won't get "kicked out" per se. If you trigger a new day you'll still get your Stamina. It's just that the bed opens up for other people to use while you're logged-out.

Erm, how's that work with double beds?

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, September 25 2011 @ 02:45 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'd like the throw in the idea that Altruism-Class perks are a prime candidate for Cobblestone usage. If everyone benefits from purchasing these items, then there's no advantage to the players who've racked up so many Cobblestones over time.

Profile Email
Swede
 Sunday, September 25 2011 @ 02:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I like Kimmy's idea.
But I would think of paying SP for a portable food stall, so it can be used in CC, IC or Ace too.
The thought of linking it to the cooking skill is also awesome. So it ranges form as good as Kitt steaks to Pleasanville Steak or even better.
For fun the stall sells only one type of food, determined by the layer. From Carter Packs to Swede's Meatballs
Meatballs Swedish style

Oh another idea for SP's, and yes I know I've suggested it before, but now seems a good moment to bring it up again.
An item that allows people to redistribute their DK points.
Tynan's Gym just doesn't work for me. Swede is often in besieged outpost or questing, so running back to Squat Hole each time is difficult.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Monday, September 26 2011 @ 06:11 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Maybe the benefits of certain Altruism items scale to how many Cobblestones you have? Terribly imbalanced without a cap of some sort, but then again, by this point, Cobblestones are sort of imbalanced anyways.

Quote by: Swede

Tynan's Gym just doesn't work for me. Swede is often in besieged outpost or questing, so running back to Squat Hole each time is difficult.

I think that may be the point. There's a lot of good stuff in Squat Hole to draw people to what otherwise is a fairly quiet outpost. (Possibly because it's floating in the middle of a sea of mud and God-knows-what-else.) It's centralizing players back around outposts.

That said. I do think a way to let people redistribute stat points would be appreciated. Stat points don't make too noticeable of the difference in your play until pretty late in the game, and people with large numbers of DKs likely didn't notice that they wanted to go in a different direction until it was too late to reverse it. Add the ability to lose permanent HP, and I think that would sell.

And tossing in Kes's rather excellent suggestion from this thread:
Quote by: Kes

I would love to be able to buy an Extended Bio as a Hunter's Lodge item - I think it's one of the few donators' perks (or the only?) that can't be bought and gifted, and I can see it being useful for alts and friends and the like.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Monday, September 26 2011 @ 11:57 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Iriana

And tossing in Kes's rather excellent suggestion from this thread:

I would love to be able to buy an Extended Bio as a Hunter's Lodge item - I think it's one of the few donators' perks (or the only?) that can't be bought and gifted, and I can see it being useful for alts and friends and the like.

Solution: Donate for the person/alt character. The only way to justify an item like this would be to make it cost the amount required to unlock the feature in the first place, and if you have to spend $10(?) on the person/character, you might as well just donate the money for them and let them buy something to boot, right? The links to let others donate for you are still on the Hunter's Lodge page. And are still as horrendously unfriendly to II players who want to donate to friends. Have I suggested IMPROVE THE WAY YOU CAN DONATE FOR OTHERS lately?Didn't take me long to get back to my old bullshit, did it?

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Wednesday, October 05 2011 @ 04:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Please forgive the thread-bump, and my assumption - perhaps wrong - that this thread is not just for altruism-class items. These are some of the things (collected from around the forum) that I would love to see in the Lodge:

* Crate Drop / Special Crate Drop / Super Crate Drop
* Extend Extender

Quote by: Buddleia

A paid-for Gadget in the Lodge that will do all the weather effects as laid out in Trex's awesome wiki page.

(Several other people have said that they would buy this, as well.)
Quote by: Buddleia

[re Contrivances/Contraptions] a vending machine (? attached to the Scrapyard ?), where you can buy exactly what you need.
25 SP per item

Quote by: Count+Sessine

A fairly expensive, customizable, Hunter's Lodge item that, when placed in a slot in a room, would allow the owner to limit the time people can sleep in any beds in the room to X days.

Quote by: Tyr

Surprise Packages/Joker Boxes/Lost Luggage.

Quote by: Maniak

I'd buy favour/a way to get off the failboat without triggering a new day.

1. Not really an item - A better way to donate for other players.
2. Name Tag - A one-time-only name change.
C. Weather Man Mind Control Helmet
IV. Pack Mule In A Can

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

I'd like the throw in the idea that Altruism-Class perks are a prime candidate for Cobblestone usage. If everyone benefits from purchasing these items, then there's no advantage to the players who've racked up so many Cobblestones over time.

Quote by: Swede

A special, SP-purchased contraption: Image display. Allows you to upload and display an image in a room/page.

Quote by: Tahvohck

While I'm at it, is it possible that we could get "miniboards", that couldn't be expanded and were only 1x2, for simple if-then statements, maybe at the cost of 5 for 100 points? I know that there are endless situations I'd use these in that I really wouldn't want to spend a dollar per on for a full board, but would gladly buy packs of like candy.

Also, a way to buy and gift chronospheres to others.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Chamomile
 Wednesday, October 05 2011 @ 05:27 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Some kind of airstrike that kills a large number of attacking monsters very quickly, so that CyberCity will not be under attack long enough for me to get in and finish the bloody museum quest.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Monday, December 19 2011 @ 08:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Trowa

Quote by: Maniak

A less altruistic, more selfish request: I'd buy favour/a way to get off the failboat without triggering a new day.

Alternatively, an altruistic measure: An item that reduces the Favour cost for everyone for a game day! (Or increases the Favour payout?)

Get the Watcher some chocolate! Brighten her day!

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.65 seconds
New Topic Post Reply