Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 I am here to complain unhelpfully.
 |  Printable Version
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, August 30 2012 @ 11:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Clueless

Ok, just gotta say, it is not that easy to get all of the herbs. I just ran over every mountain square and got... Two SteelSeed pods. Which isn't enough for anything that matters, and this cost a great deal of stamina.

Really, that's all. ScroteWeed seems a bit rare as well, and considering the stam cost to move around on those terrains, the spawn rate could use some increasing, or the cost of those two in foods decreased.

I went all over the mountains earlier to day, and picked up 40+ steel seed, which might explain why you're not finding any. Big Grin

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Thursday, August 30 2012 @ 11:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe
Third, leave out the "Lurkers support me in email" stuff please, if they're too scared (of what, exactly?) to speak then they don't get a vote.

I am one of the lurkers.

I am scared of making an arse of myself by ranting unreasonably, and of getting into an argument which looks like it won't get anyone anywhere other than pissed off. I prefer polite debates and discussions (not heated arguments full of accusations) and I usually stick to them, but that's not always how things go - so, if the point I wanted to make has already been made by others, I usually stay silent.

Going stand up and be counted, though, if it makes you happy and/or more inclined to take notice. I agree with Matthew.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Thursday, August 30 2012 @ 11:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

No-one can make your voice heard but you- when agreeing or disagreeing in a group discussion, weight of numbers always helps.

Not to mention, you are one of the least` asinine folks I've ever met. Don't worry about that. Smile

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Clueless
 Thursday, August 30 2012 @ 11:34 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Quote by: Clueless

Ok, just gotta say, it is not that easy to get all of the herbs. I just ran over every mountain square and got... Two SteelSeed pods. Which isn't enough for anything that matters, and this cost a great deal of stamina.

Really, that's all. ScroteWeed seems a bit rare as well, and considering the stam cost to move around on those terrains, the spawn rate could use some increasing, or the cost of those two in foods decreased.

I went all over the mountains earlier to day, and picked up 40+ steel seed, which might explain why you're not finding any. Big Grin

NOTICE: Wanted, Dead Or Alive- Hairy Mary.

In other words Derp. Maybe it isn't quite as bad as it seemed earlier, but even on other days I never noticed great quantities of them... And you need ten for each Unrepentant. Which is the only option for those looking to max their stamina for a brew.. Err, except maybe the Harp food, but I am void of information on their stam/mass ratio. Joe mentioned it being the best, but my fiddling around didn't really make it seem quite so... Still, might've been the lack of info on mass. And I'm rambling now, so just nevermind.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 12:16 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, the problem is that they have the same spawn rate as the rest but there's so little mountain/swamp compared to forest/fields. SneezeWeed is out there by the thousands, but SteelSeed is much rarer for this reason.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 01:55 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew (are we allowed to talk about new game features yet, Awesome Fred? Do we have your permission?)

Everyone is allowed to speak about it now, except for you. You'll have to wait for the conch to be passed, Piggy.

Quote by: Buddleia I am scared of making an arse of myself by ranting unreasonably, and of getting into an argument

This is why I won't be pulling another one of those stunts. It was very, very easy to see in the aftermath of my posts that it created a divide of "let's shut up so that we don't look like whiners" and "who does that asshole think he is". I'd like to apologize for that; I disrupted the almost unhaltingly respectful atmosphere of the II forums for one that I'm, frankly, more used to--balance forum flame wars. I think the content of what I said did need to be said, but my tone didn't do any good.

This thread's beginning--its very title--is a clear example of the effect my words had. I'm not apologizing for complaining about the complaints (there's way too much emotion invested in this discussion of an online game's food stats) but I'm apologizing for actively being divisive instead of conciliatory. That wasn't appropriate of me.

All that being said, I'm going to go ahead and keep using the current food system and figure out how my playstyle will stabilize in the coming weeks instead of participating in any more threads of this topic.

Profile Email
blake7791
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 04:05 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Herbs are stupidly easy to get in sufficient quantities that the idea of compensation for them seems silly to me. The point is that you can't sit in an outpost forever eating the best foods of that outpost without having to get up, go somewhere else, and collect herbs. It's to stop you from parking at Pleasantville for extended periods. An arbitrarily-increased food item is hardly a problem.

While it is easy to get herbs, it is not effortless. For me to find herbs, I must at least spend 0.322% stamina for TwitchLeaf, 0.637% stamina for SneezeRoot, 0.886% stamina for for ScroteWeed, and 1.443% stamina for for SteelSeed. This does not include the stamina cost needed to go to the area where these herbs can be found. Thanks to its abundance around AceHigh, SneezeRoot is actually the cheapest herb to search for. Using Hot Chocolate for a baseline, 1 req = 0.05% stamina. From this we can assume that TwitchLeaf is about 6 reqs , SneezeRoot is about 12 reqs, ScroteWeed is about 17 reqs and SteelSeed is about 28 reqs.

Anyway, the prices of food in restaurant includes three things, service rendered, skill and knowledge needed to prepare it and the cost of ingredients used in it. By having us supply the necessary herbs, the restaurants ingredient cost is also reduced, by doing so we have in essence become a supplier to the restaurant and as such we deserve to receive payment from the restaurant for the herbs that we have supplied them. I believe either (5 to 15 reqs reduction per herb supplied) or ( a flat 10% discount) would be a reasonable thing to expect.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 07:40 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hang on. Does this all mean that ration packs are useful now?

Profile Email
Ebenezer
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 10:57 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Matthew (are we allowed to talk about new game features yet, Awesome Fred? Do we have your permission?)

Everyone is allowed to speak about it now, except for you. You'll have to wait for the conch to be passed, Piggy.

I thought I was the Island's Piggy! Frown

*Slinks away to go try and light a fire with his spectacles.*

Profile Email
Ada
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 03:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Iriana

Yes... they make you fat as hell but at least they don't cost you 2000 req.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 03:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

[a very handsome apology]

To quote Harris, too: Good form, sir. Cool

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Iriana
 Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 12:30 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ada

Quote by: Iriana

Yes... they make you fat as hell but at least they don't cost you 2000 req.

Right, see, this is what I don't get. This is the description for a Ration Pack:
Ration Packs contain everything a contestant needs to carry on fighting monsters! A contestant can reliably eat nothing but Ration Packs and survive for several weeks before dying of malnutrition. They are filling and contain very little fat. Use them to restore your Stamina, but keep in mind their low nutritional quality - it's probably not a good idea to try to live on these alone.
And for science's sake, Iriana ate one. Here's the large part of the flavour text:
The material inside has been designed to withstand being thrown out of a plane, bounced down a mountain, encased in snow and ice, left out in the sun and/or buried in a swamp for up to three years. It contains all the essential nutrients required for a soldier to live on for several weeks without dying of malnutrition. It even comes with dessert in the form of a chocolate bar - one that, according to rumour, has saved the lives of several contestants. Not for its nutritional value, of which there is none, but for its remarkable bullet-stopping tensile strength.
That doesn't sound fattening to me. It sounds disgusting is what it sounds like, which is why it's an entertaining item. But the point is, if even the item description says it contains about as much fat and flavor as a stack of cardboard, it oughtn't to turn you into a bus full of orphans. Or a volleyball for Jokers. Or a tub of lard.

This bugs me for two reasons. First, a contradiction this obvious is just kind of absurd. And not in a good way. But second, Ration Packs are valuable to rookies, now more than ever. People have been bringing up the opinion that restaurants are prohibitively expensive for rookies (and even the initial stam costs for learning to cook and clean are a barrier to getting stam that way), but Ration Packs run for about 40 req now, which anyone can scrape together in a few fights. And 4 req per 1% of stam is pretty good, isn't it? Only, they're a lot less useful if they're turning rooks into tubs of lard. (Or Iriana. They are also turning Iriana into a tub of lard.)

What if the stam gain from ration packs scaled inversely to your level? So low-level rookies could use them to get started, but they'd eventually stop being (as) useful, and they'd need to turn to cooking or restaurants.

I don't have a very good concept of game mechanics most of the time, so it could be totally intentional that ratpacks make rookies unhealthy. But is it at all possible that they could stop making rookies fat? That's just silly.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 12:46 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Actually, it's kinda weird that you can get fat, yet low on Stamina, in the first place. That is against the entire purpose of fat.

Hmm... what if there were some sort of "Second Wind" mechanic, where you get to burn fat for Stamina after you dip down into the red. Based on... nutrients which enable you to burn the fat? I dunno.

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 05:11 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Related: could ration packs maybe make us a little less fat? Seems a bit silly that something described as barebones and shitty would be so fattening, and from a gameplay perspective that's the only option for a quite a few levels/lower DK players, so it's probably a bit frustrating to either constantly starve or be constantly fat.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 05:58 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That's what I get for not reading the last few posts in the thread, derp. Iriana said the same thing. Great minds etc.

Edit: I understand if it's a balance concern. After all, ten percent stamina for 20-40 req is a pretty good deal given the new restaurant prices! Maybe make them give 10%, but be totally bereft of nutrition or fat? That way you can get the trim and slender bonus, but eating them for too long will be the same as starving.

Or, perhaps, add a level that's actually below Trim and Slender, like 'downright anorexic' or 'unheathily rail-thin' or something, and make that be a stamina penalty instead of a bonus.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 02:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

As far as availability of herbs goes, it occurs to me that this depends not only on spawn rate, but also on how many people are herb gathering at the same time. This in turn depends on how many people are on line. Seeing as how there are more people playing who happen to be in America than in other parts of the world, is it possible that Americans have a disadvantage in this regard?

I should stress that I've got no idea how herb drop rate works, so this is a rather tentative idea, but I thought that it might be worth mentioning.

Profile Email
Ada
 Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 04:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I agree - I have no idea why ration packs are fattening, given the flavour text. Really though, I think the only thing that needs to be changed is the flavourtext itself.

HM: 2-10 (I... think? 2-8? I was told but forgot) herbs spawn on the map every minute. It's not based on the number of people online and it doesn't take into account that there is much more jungle than swamp. I play at times with 100+ people and at times with ~30 people, and I never seem to find much scroteweed at all.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 04:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

No, it's not the flavour text which needs to change, it's the very names of the mechanics... Y'know, this seems like a "new thread" kinda thing. I think I'll do that.

Profile Email Website
Iriana
 Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 07:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It's not the names of the mechanics that need to change. What did you say earlier? Something about how can you be fat and low on stamina, that's against the purpose of fat? It doesn't really work that way--even though fat is a form of stored energy, it... doesn't give you the 'energy' of the sort you need to go dashing about the jungle. It's, uh, my understanding that being really fat makes you a little less able to do athletic, monster-killing things. Maybe I'm just not understanding you?

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 08:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Aw, I just started a new thread for this. Fat, in quantity, does make it harder for you to do things, but then you get to hit your second wind and burn all the fat. If fat just made things hard for ancient man, out killing things on the savanna, fat would've been a pretty stupid thing to evolve. That's my understanding, anyway.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.84 seconds
New Topic Post Reply