Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Banter in Common Grounds
 |  Printable Version
Ada
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 06:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Maniak: people did not feel muted when there was no banter. People still logged on and socialized. It will still be possible for people to socialize with a global banter, anyway. As CMJ said, if it works out then place-specific banter can be added later on - if people really want to use the chat rooms, and don't like the big global banter, they would be able to eventually! That's all assuming it works out, anyway. Maybe it's tried and not well-liked. Then it's rolled back. No harm in trying, I think.

Profile Email
LydiaDefountain
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 07:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Cicero

I am here to ask for confirmation that there is not room for THREE channels: Story, Outpost-Specific Banter, and Global Banter. If there were, perhaps one could go underneath like the Noticeboard.
Global could have a new name: Palaver, Prattle, Parley, Persiflage, Gab?

There is a global banter, accessible as another in three different ways, but it updates with separate refreshes is in it's own tab or window and feels separate and even some people whom use it can forget they had it open. To me Global banter feels odd.. it has potential but it is too little used, and honestly easily forgotten that it is even there. It doesn't really feel like you are in touch with the whole island using it at all, just the few people who lurk there or haven't forgotten about it. I'm trying to side by side feature to see if I can keep it open longer but.. meh?

Profile Email
Cicero
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 11:00 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: LydiaDefountain

I am here to ask for confirmation that there is not room for THREE channels: Story, Outpost-Specific Banter, and Global Banter. If there were, perhaps one could go underneath like the Noticeboard.

There is a global banter, accessible as another in three different ways, but it updates with separate refreshes is in it's own tab or window and feels separate and even some people whom use it can forget they had it open. To me Global banter feels odd.. it has potential but it is too little used, and honestly easily forgotten that it is even there. It doesn't really feel like you are in touch with the whole island using it at all, just the few people who lurk there or haven't forgotten about it. I'm trying to side by side feature to see if I can keep it open longer but.. meh?

Yes, I have used Global Banter before, but since we were discussing the replacement of local Banter by Global, I was wondering if it were possible to have them both in the outpost with Story. Would this be too cluttered? I am thinking probably yes, but what do you guys think?

Profile Email
Iriana
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 11:03 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think it'd make the columns too narrow, and visually too cluttered. Especially for people with tiny screens like netbooks and mobile phones and iPads, and I think more and more people are playing on that kind of device.

Profile Email
Harris
 Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 03:55 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ada

Maniak: people did not feel muted when there was no banter. People still logged on and socialized. It will still be possible for people to socialize with a global banter, anyway. As CMJ said, if it works out then place-specific banter can be added later on - if people really want to use the chat rooms, and don't like the big global banter, they would be able to eventually! That's all assuming it works out, anyway. Maybe it's tried and not well-liked. Then it's rolled back. No harm in trying, I think.

YES.

What she said.

Please, Mister Joe? Mr. Green

Cicero: What Iriana said.

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Cherriki Ten
 Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 01:31 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: LydiaDefountain

Yes, I have used Global Banter before, but since we were discussing the replacement of local Banter by Global, I was wondering if it were possible to have them both in the outpost with Story. Would this be too cluttered? I am thinking probably yes, but what do you guys think?

I would find this a much more agreeable solution and then maybe give us a spot in preferences where we can muck around with what we have displayed on our story screen.

I understand trying it out but I can't even begin to tell you how much I want it to fail, because I honestly think this is a terrible idea. (And please, I mean no offense to anyone's opinions or anything. I just really dislike the idea)

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 01:51 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Today was the first time I ever hid Banter in any outpost. I tried it, thought it was neat, slowly changed my mind, and then gave up. But it did make me go out to Pleasantville and have a great time roleplaying with somebody, allowing Iriana to be the victim of some creepy, magnificent Joker havoc.

So, in my case, did the experiment succeed or fail?

Profile Email
Ada
 Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 02:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Iriana

Today was the first time I ever hid Banter in any outpost. I tried it, thought it was neat, slowly changed my mind, and then gave up. But it did make me go out to Pleasantville and have a great time roleplaying with somebody, allowing Iriana to be the victim of some creepy, magnificent Joker havoc.

So, in my case, did the experiment succeed or fail?

I'd say succeed, myself! Glad you went out and roleplayed instead of hanging around in banter. Razz

So far new banter is a pretty terrible experience, because now it is like the worst of Kittania-NewHome banter, except everywhere and faster. I have hopes that it will calm down once the novelty wears off some and Place-specific banter is re-added.
On the upside I have yet to see any nasty drama in it, like tended to happen with arguments in NH and Kitt banters... Though perhaps it's a bit early to say that yet.

Profile Email
jenkins
 Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 02:07 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I've seen the new Ultra-Banter, and I've gotta say,

I hate that thing. So much.

I miss my good ol' Local Banter, and I don't think that I'd like to try gchat or somesuch for every single little thing I want to put in Banter, for 3 good reasons.

One: It'd be a pain in the ass for me.
I don't want to make a completely different account, having to go back and forth between the island, Google chat, my music player, and whatever else I'm doing in real life. That sounds awful.

Two: It'd require ASKING people
I need to ask everyone if they had a gchat account. If yes, then I'd have to ask what the account was called, but I'd have to do all of this, in Distractions. Ultra Banter might not be the best place to ask someone for their account, since about 80 people will see it, and I hardly think they'd enjoy having 8 more people knowing their account when they only wanted one, and found 4 of the others unlikable. But if they didn't have one...

Three: It'd be a pain in the ass for others
Oops, you don't have a gchat account. Guess you'll have to miss out on all the clever and witty things the rest of the group is saying.
Unless you go through the bother of making another tab, to make another account on some other site.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 03:19 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ada

So far new banter is a pretty terrible experience, because now it is like the worst of Kittania-NewHome banter, except everywhere and faster.

Yeah, this. It used to be quarantined, you know? I turned Banter off for the first time tonight, ever.

Maybe give it a while longer but I don't see this changing much, honestly.

Profile Email
Cherriki Ten
 Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 03:51 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I was going to post my response to the banter in the new banter, but you know why I am not?

Because I can't get the fucking page to load.

I have restarted the game three times and I am frustrated beyond words right now but for these:

I HATE this new banter.

I don't think I could put it more succintly then that.

And I am a little, teensy bit upset because I feel like maybe I am being bitchy and overreacting, but I love this game and I can't even fucking play it.

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Cherriki Ten
 Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 04:17 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Cherriki+Ten

I was going to post my response to the banter in the new banter, but you know why I am not?

Because I can't get the fucking page to load.

I have restarted the game three times and I am frustrated beyond words right now but for these:

I HATE this new banter.

I don't think I could put it more succintly then that.

And I am a little, teensy bit upset because I feel like maybe I am being bitchy and overreacting, but I love this game and I can't even fucking play it.

Because I apparently can't edit, I will say that I did finally manage to log-in. I am sorry for my incessant whining but I guess at least you know how passionate I am about things I like? Right? Right?!

Profile Email
Collin-Vee
 Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 04:49 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Matthew

I turned Banter off for the first time tonight, ever.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 04:51 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Take it to a new thread.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.18 seconds
New Topic Post Reply