Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Grievances
 |  Printable Version
Yrk
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 10:32 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Seeing as monster payout seems to be at around 100-200 on average (for my level, 14), sometimes as low as 45 though and after one fight a full heal can cost as much as 300 (that's an unlucky fight though) average cost after a fight is actually about the same as the income. I suggest the modifier to be 0.5 (unless i got things completely wrong that that make it more expensive, in that case i suggest 1.5) this should let me keep on average half of the money i gain.

also

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Then don't buy them.

I totally agree on that, i spend lots of time walking around the towns to find the best deals and i quite enjoy it. However, if the differencr between a good and a bad deal was only a hand full of req i wouldnt bother, keeping stuff expensive makes bargain hunting fun.
If possible i suggest restocking at random times instead of just at every new day, find myself logging on specifically to get good deals when a new game day starts and kinda feel like im robbing the other players of items.

Profile Email
hajen
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 11:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Yrk

If possible i suggest restocking at random times instead of just at every new day, find myself logging on specifically to get good deals when a new game day starts and kinda feel like im robbing the other players of items.

aha! so it's you

i've noticed that the eBoy prices are at their cheapest base price when inventory is over 50; once inventory drops into the 20s, each purchase will drive the sell price up a few req, and once it falls below 10, each drop causes the price to go up exponentially. actually it prolly affects the price exponentially along the whole range, it's just that the lower range doesn't break the 1 req threshold for quite a while.
i recall once when eBoy had no zap grenades, and i sold him two spares for 213 req each, the third (if i had it) would have been worth only 112 (or thereabouts). so yeah, i could see you making a killing Yrk, if you found a city that had a lot of empty shelves in the trading station.

"tis better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 11:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

*sighs* Basically just repeating what myself and others said earlier, but the game is too hard.

Reasons:
If you aren't extremely careful, you'll end up on the Failboat right away.
The best way to save yourself from that is medkits and grenades, but they're almost always at a premium.
Without medkits, you have to use the ludicrously expensive hospital tent--or Golinda, but I dislike having to spend Donator Points just to survive the game.
Travelling is extremely dangerous because of the lack of hospital, so exploring the other towns is a risky business.
Yrk, stop buying all of the supplies! Razz

In short, because of the many costs of staying alive and healthy, building up enough req for anything decent is an arduous process. The 100K needed for a ring? I don't see that happening. And what about costs of houses, when they're made available?

I don't know anything about programming, so I can't help out there. But this game is seriously problematic, and newcomers won't stay long enough to get hooked.

Profile Email
Symar
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 11:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Here's the formula to determine cost of healing:

Level multiplied by the sum of 10 and the difference between your max and current hitpoints?
So if you're level 10 and at 50/100 hp it'll cost 10*((100-50)+10), or 600 req for a full heal? No, wait, that can't be right....

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 11:57 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

@Symar:
http://uk2.php.net/log

@Gorbert:
I've implemented the change - try it now.

Profile Email Website
Gorbert
 Saturday, July 11 2009 @ 12:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

@Symar:

@Gorbert:
I've implemented the change - try it now.

Which change, specifically? The hospital tent?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, July 11 2009 @ 12:07 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Yup. The multiplier modifier has been changed.

I'm aware that we have some balancing to do - I knew I'd have to muck about with the Island in S2 because so much of it had changed. I'm gonna try to find the sweet spot, but have some patience with me - it's much better to take these changes slowly and one at a time, so we can see their effects properly.

Profile Email Website
Gorbert
 Saturday, July 11 2009 @ 12:10 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I understand. Sorry about that, I'll try to bear with it.

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Saturday, July 11 2009 @ 12:11 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I just tried out the Hospital Tent with almost no health. The prices were much more affordable. Thanks.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Saturday, July 11 2009 @ 12:31 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Speaking of the 100k to buy the ring -- down the road, when a few other people have decided to get married.. please consider, um. Amping up the marriage buff. You're going to face wrath and fury when someone drops 100k on a puny defense buff in this new economy.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Symar
 Saturday, July 11 2009 @ 12:34 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

@Symar:

Ah, logarithms. Okay, that makes more sense.

How much was healing costs changed by?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, July 11 2009 @ 12:39 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

For now, it's down to 60% of its original cost. I'm going to keep an eye on the amount of money floating around in the economy, and perhaps tie together some sort of algo to adjust it automatically. For now, I have other things to do...

Profile Email Website
Rosin
 Saturday, July 11 2009 @ 02:09 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, it's not really much change in my income, but I'm not losing money on every fight any more. Though 116 for healing from a fight that gave me 154 isn't really much gain. (I only lost half my health. Not too bad, considering the gear I'm forced to use.)

Thanks for fixing that as good as you could in such a short time, though.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Agrajag
 Saturday, July 11 2009 @ 02:57 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Yeah, it's hard. REEEAL hard. But I for one am just going to say I'm okay with that, and thank the Green Dragon engine that the other participants can't do me any real damage for saying so.

It's been a little while since I've had a challenge, sorry to say so, hajen. Too long. And pretty soon I'll kill the drive for the first time, I'll be allowed to get a mount, a bit more req, some new modules will be added or old ones reinstated, and things will get a /little/ bit easier. Then more players will kill the drive, and gifting will become a reality again. And we'll all enjoy the glow of a hard won victory. Player who join a few months from now won't know what they missed out on, because their clannies will gift them enough grenades or expensive goodies to equip themselves properly.

Here are some tips, and forgive me if I repeat anyone, because I didn't read *all* the way through the thread:

Get your experience from travelling rather than the Jungle. You'll get more free goodies.
Use your goodies. No point in having more grenades than you can carry and no experience.
While travelling to find fights, stay close to the outpost, so you can heal.
Don't heal when you are only a few points down. You'll pay 5 req or more per HP when you're nearly healthy, but less than 3 when you're nearly dead.
Stay off the failboat. It's not the bonus it sometimes used to be. By fighting until I lost, I spent several days gaining no experience, when I could have progressed 2 or 3 levels by quitting when I was ahead.
Stay ON the failboat. Your favour is better used on blessed weapons.
Use the Failboat to practice Running Away. Since there is no real point in getting off, you don't really need the favour, unless you really want that blessed sack of marbles. Boosting your level in Running Away let's you fight another day, cheaper.
RUN AWAY! Don't fight to the death unless you are really sure you'll win.
Pick Easy Fights unless you've got lots of gear.
Spend your req on better gear and you cigs on better luggage as soon as you are able.
Don't be fooled by the siren call of free meat. I trained to Level 38 in Cleaning the Carcass in 11 in Cooking, and it still costs me 4 or 5 times as much stamina as I get back.
When you are low on stamina, use what you've got left to train in expensive things, like travelling through snow or oceans. Stay close to the outposts and be ready to run like a cowardly dog, a lot.
Check out eBoy at every outpost. He seems to have a working inflationary economy that is independent at each location. Stock up on what you can afford, and USE IT. Especially be aware of the sweet spots where Rat Packs are decidedly cheaper than restaurants, and medkits are cheaper than the Hospital Tent.

These appear to be obvious points, and I mean no offence to those players who started the day before the big bang, but these are all things I had to relearn, and I repent the many scornful thoughts I've had about whiny newbies over the last year or so.

Dan, if you make the game easier, I will take advantage, and set my sets on a more esoteric goal, but if you don't, I'm gonna make sure this drive kill is the one I remember.

Profile Email
Epaphus
 Saturday, July 11 2009 @ 04:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I agree that the game is hard, but I'm not sure I agree that it's "too hard." Sure, I died more times that I can recall the first day I played Season 2, but I was soon able to figure out a playing style that worked for Season 2. ("Worked" meaning I only get sent to the Failboat twice during my second drive kill.) Frankly I've liked how challenging Season 2 is during my first two drive campaigns.

However, I was an experienced player from Season 1, and I already knew the way a lot of things worked, what to do, and what to avoid. That may be coloring my perception that Season 2 is "challenging" but not "too hard." What do the newbies think?--The people who are hitting Season 2 without much prior experience from Season 1? I think those are the people who can really assess whether S2 is too difficult.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, July 11 2009 @ 04:30 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Funny, that - it would seem that newbies are having an easier time of things. Far less average restorations for a rookie player than one who was around pre-reset.

(although this latest batch of rookies could be skewing the results)

Profile Email Website
hajen
 Saturday, July 11 2009 @ 05:46 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

are you saying we are pushing the envelope too far Big Grin ignoring the 'you are VERY tired' warnings Cool and basically living on the edge Question

are these newbies actually heeding the warning signs and not treading on thin ice? like i've mentioned elsewhere, i'm trying to play like a 'free play' rookie, but as Epaphus mentioned, i already know how much of the mechanics should work. it would be enlightening to hear from a bona fide newbie.

"tis better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

Profile Email
Jade XXIV
 Saturday, July 11 2009 @ 07:27 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Thanks for adjusting the healing multiplier. I definitely noticed a difference when I was playing earlier and that was before I checked this thread. A definite step in the right direction there, more req netted after healing up.

Islanding since 2009.

Profile Email
Symar
 Saturday, July 11 2009 @ 10:08 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Agrajag

Don't be fooled by the siren call of free meat. I trained to Level 38 in Cleaning the Carcass in 11 in Cooking, and it still costs me 4 or 5 times as much stamina as I get back.

Don't cook unless you have at least 20 meat. I don't know how it compares to the energy I spend gathering the meat, but I at least get more energy back than I spend cooking.

Profile Email
Yrk
 Saturday, July 11 2009 @ 11:13 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

As im sure i let everyone know by now, i played the plot, and just about nothing of season 1, so im kind of semi-experiensed. I'll say season two is definatly harder, but i wouldn't say too hard, sure i still havent been able to get my first DK, but i've never been stuck in what i feel is a hopeless situation.

Advice to the veterans (who is still newer platers than me): fight slowly, find out if the exhaustion buff is making it tough to survive each fight before you go "To the death"-ing the next thing you come across.

Oh, and also, i desperatly want something that doesnt mean i risk getting killed to spend my stamina on, push ups or something. Just so that i dont have to call in a new day when im out of req at 50% stamina and 8 hp left.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.72 seconds
New Topic Post Reply