Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 The Pure Evil that is comment limitation
 |  Printable Version
Gorbert
 Tuesday, July 07 2009 @ 06:55 AM UTC (Read 2992 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Dan, could that be removed now? It's a severe handicap to those of us who do a lot of roleplaying. Case in point, I was right in the middle of an important scene with Rosin...and run out of comments. I was unable to do anything, even respond to her leaving suddenly, until other's came along at my request.
I would be extremely grateful if that feature was removed for good. Don't make me pester you incessantly, Dan Wink

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, July 07 2009 @ 07:12 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Seconded.

As I said in 4W... I've never seen a situation where that limit did anything but harm.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Tuesday, July 07 2009 @ 07:19 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Thirded.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Jade XXIV
 Tuesday, July 07 2009 @ 08:36 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have to agree with everyone here, that comment limit is really a detriment when there are scenes to run. I ran into this problem several times today. You just can't tell a good story if you're only given a handful of lines with which to write.

Islanding since 2009.

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Tuesday, July 07 2009 @ 11:56 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Fifthed?

Maybe along with the maximum word lenght of 45 characters, though that rarely does harm. But I ran into it a couple of times in the past.

Game Setup
Clean user posts (filters bad language and splits words over 45 chars long) 1

Profile Email
Bernard
 Tuesday, July 07 2009 @ 04:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Sixthed.

Although does that still impact if you turn off live chat?

Plus... The filter. I tried to write u-bend. It came up as you-bend. It was okay as I was speaking with Paul Lo and he is a bit round the bend, so it worked. But...

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Tuesday, July 07 2009 @ 04:02 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Bernard

Sixthed.

Although does that still impact if you turn off live chat?

Plus... The filter. I tried to write u-bend. It came up as you-bend. It was okay as I was speaking with Paul Lo and he is a bit round the bend, so it worked. But...

I tried that last night. It seems that the bug in Season 1 that allowed unlimited comments if live chat was off has been fixed.

Profile Email
CheshireCat
 Tuesday, July 07 2009 @ 05:30 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Seventhed.

It's hard to have a 1-on-1 conversation for any length of time.

The Island's Most Married Kittyjoker.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Tuesday, July 07 2009 @ 05:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have absolutely no idea without counting how many people have posted to their agreement, so Xth.

I don't think there will ever be a problem with it, really. Maybe we might get a few nuts, but they can easily be cracked by words from the more (or less) experienced player.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, July 07 2009 @ 05:42 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I had hoped that it wasn't a bug, Gorbert, but an intentional quick fix to what we've all identified as a serious problem. If that's the case, then re-applying the fix in S2 should be a high priority, as a work-around, until such time as a more permanent solution can be devised.

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Tuesday, July 07 2009 @ 05:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

I had hoped that it wasn't a bug, Gorbert, but an intentional quick fix to what we've all identified as a serious problem. If that's the case, then re-applying the fix in S2 should be a high priority, as a work-around, until such time as a more permanent solution can be devised.

Ah. That may very well be. Still, while that temporary quick-fix would be welcome, I would prefer for the limit to be removed altogether.

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Wednesday, July 08 2009 @ 02:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Sorry that I'm bumping this, but it got pushed really far back and I consider it a very important subject.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, July 08 2009 @ 02:24 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Okay, guys - you've got it. If folks start hogging the chat areas all to themselves, then we'll figure out some other way to stop that from happening. Maybe some sort of reputation system, I dunno.

(not sure how this'll integrate with AJAX Chat - someone please test it for me, both with and without)

Profile Email Website
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Wednesday, July 08 2009 @ 02:28 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Okay, guys - you've got it. If folks start hogging the chat areas all to themselves, then we'll figure out some other way to stop that from happening. Maybe some sort of reputation system, I dunno.

(not sure how this'll integrate with AJAX Chat - someone please test it for me, both with and without)

How about we have it so that people who spam the chat get a few minutes' penalty?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, July 08 2009 @ 02:39 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: SicPuess

Fifthed?

Maybe along with the maximum word lenght of 45 characters, though that rarely does harm. But I ran into it a couple of times in the past.

Game Setup
Clean user posts (filters bad language and splits words over 45 chars long) 1

This option stays, for x reasons:

1. The only things over 45 characters that you'd conceivably want to post is a URL, and that doesn't happen often. In fact, we've had more idiot newbies posting drivel like "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH I got kild" than URL's. A post of one word long enough will cause the page to break (see Truly's entry in the Robots competition - imagine that, but in the game itself).
2. The other thing to which the setting refers is "bad language." Personally I am of the opinion that there's no such thing, but LotGD by default comes with a filter strict enough that if you try to say "What does this button do?" you'll end up saying "What does this @#$&on do?"

There are only five words that are filtered in Improbable Island. Increase text size, view source, or copy-paste into NotePad if you want to see them.

The five words are "Nigger," "Paki," "Chink," "Faggot" and "Scum."

I don't think that these words have any place on Improbable Island, so their use is auto-filtered (and I'm notified, too).

On a related note, I might set up a less dramatic filter for drama detection - not one that filters text, but one that simply sends me and the mods an E-mail when certain words are used, as a heads-up that we might want to keep an eye on the situation. And when I say "certain words," I don't necessarily mean profanity, but words that derail conversations and provoke visceral reactions - words that put the reader immediately into defensive. Words that stop you from having an intelligent conversation - words that stop you from thinking. Words that make the reader stupid. Words like "hypocrite" - damn, that's one of my least favourite words.

"A mere accusation of hypocrisy can halt a debate by silencing the accused, forcing him off-topic to defend himself against the tangential charge of hypocrisy. This is how and why so many talking-head shows quickly degenerate into everyone accusing everyone else of hypocrisy, with nothing of substance actually discussed." - can't say I care for the sort of books he writes, or agree with everything he says, but this guy raises a damn good point at least in this article.

...anyway, that's enough off-topic ranting from me - I've got bugs to fix.

Profile Email Website
Gorbert
 Wednesday, July 08 2009 @ 04:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, I can certainly understand the first four words, but why is the fifth filtered?

Oh, and much obliged, Dan, for removing the comment limit. I am eternally grateful--or at least for the next hour or so. Gratitude has a short half-life Wink

As for the word "hypocrite"--well, you certainly have a point there, but I freely admit to being occasionally hypocritical, which makes for an ironic and amusing situation (at least in my head) when I say someone else is a hypocrite Big Grin Sorry, I'm not actually saying anything useful, I'm just amusing myself.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, July 08 2009 @ 04:32 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

The fifth word is filtered for the same reason the first four words are filtered - rude words and swear words aren't blocked, but hateful words are.

(and don't worry about amusing yourself - that's kinda what this place is for!)

Profile Email Website
Gorbert
 Wednesday, July 08 2009 @ 07:31 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

**nods** I'm not disagreeing or anything, it just seemed an odd choice after the other four. But, it doesn't really strike me as a word that needs to be used at any point, so it isn't anything to debate.

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Wednesday, July 08 2009 @ 05:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Um...hey Dan? Sorry to nag and stuff, but the comment limit is still going strong, at least in my clan hall if nowhere else. And clan hall is a particularly bad place at the moment. Because there's only two of us.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, July 08 2009 @ 05:45 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

With AJAX Chat enabled, or without?

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.75 seconds
New Topic Post Reply