Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 a thread for miscellaneous comments that don't deserve their own thread
 |  Printable Version
Count Sessine
 Sunday, July 12 2009 @ 02:17 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Yes, but it's horrible. When it catches your eye you feel a shiver of pure hatred. It reeks of 1995 Web site design. You expect the words to be, "YOU HAVE JUST WON...!!!!" Dan's got a better aesthetic sense than that.

Good user interfaces don't use the blink tag.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Sunday, July 12 2009 @ 03:23 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Let's take a quick trip into the past for those of you who might've blocked the World Wide Web from your memory..

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Bernard
 Sunday, July 12 2009 @ 07:22 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Yes, but it's horrible. When it catches your eye you feel a shiver of pure hatred. It reeks of 1995 Web site design. You expect the words to be, "YOU HAVE JUST WON...!!!!" Dan's got a better aesthetic sense than that.

Good user interfaces don't use the blink tag.

Hmm... But they used to pop up, and I hate pop ups more than a blink. It does catch my eye, so, what works better and still grabs attention?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, July 12 2009 @ 08:56 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

There is no "don't" in web design.

Flash has its uses. Tables have their uses. Even frames have their uses. And yes, even the Blink tag can be used well if it's used responsibly.

The only reason the Blink tag is so maligned is because it's been abused over the years by people with no sense of style, subtlety or even basic human decency. Wink

And once word gets out about how new browsers are supporting the text-shadow property, and even embeddable fonts, we'll have a whole slew of God-awful-looking websites that'll make people hate that CSS property too. And then I'll have to do away with the text-shadow in my page titles, because only bad web designers use text-shadow.

Malign the tagger, not the tag! Razz

Profile Email Website
Yrk
 Sunday, July 12 2009 @ 11:49 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Another question:

All these modules you will now have time to make, and publish for use on other LoGD games. Will they actually gain you anything, other than "credits" and possibly some publicity?

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, July 12 2009 @ 03:16 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Well... maybe for the MoTD. If you really can't think of anything better. You don't send those out that often. But ONLY for that. For God's sake go back to the bright red for new Distractions, the way you had it before. Using Blink for something that's always happening, over and over again, is inherently-awful design.

The reason the Blink tag has such a bad reputation is that it is bad. It's worse than a 1990's-era animated gif. It's like flashing a strobe light directly into people's eyes. It's so unsubtle it hurts.

The site is gorgeous. Don't ruin it with Blink.

Profile Email
hajen
 Sunday, July 12 2009 @ 05:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

sessine, i luv ya, so please take this next bit as 'tongue in cheek' from the mouth of hajen. Laughing Out Loud

take an index card
cut off a bit with the dimensions: 1.25"x0.25"
align it over the malignant blinking inbox text on your screen
affix it there with some cellophane tape
every so often, move your mouse under the protective cover and click
tada, your mail at your beck and call without the risk of induced seizures Wink

yes, this is my passive aggressive way of saying you've made your point, but not everyone agrees with it.

"tis better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

Profile Email
Symar
 Sunday, July 12 2009 @ 05:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

To post my opinion, I like the blink. It lets me know something is new.

Yes, blink is horrible when used wrong. But this seems fine here.

Profile Email
Yrk
 Sunday, July 12 2009 @ 10:13 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

i would be fine with it if it actually went away when i clicked it, as of now i have to finish reading the whole page with it blinking even though i already read the distraction/MoTD.
But yea, it doesnt make my eyes bleed or anything, it can wait for S3..

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, July 13 2009 @ 12:18 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

All right, so... yes, I admit I am opinionated about this. But I am not alone in that opinion. Montulli, the inventor of the blink tag, has said more than once that it was "the worst thing I ever did for the Internet." Usability and accessibility experts universally condemn it: it can cause problems for people with photosensitive epilepsy and other handicaps. It's not standard HTML. It's not supported in all browsers -- and there is a way to turn it off in Firefox.

In other words, it shouldn't be used -- even if some people are able to tolerate it.

Profile Email
Zahnnie
 Tuesday, July 14 2009 @ 08:23 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I'm so excited about the crates and knowing how they work now. It's another reason to explore, I just found one with an Improbability Bomb. HOORAY. I can't decide whether to sell or use though... decisions decisions... Smile

I decided I wanted to level up all my travel really high to account for RPing having wings down the line and being able to easily fly everywhere. Now I also profit. <3 <3.

Profile Email
Bernard
 Tuesday, July 14 2009 @ 08:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zahnnie

I'm so excited about the crates and knowing how they work now. It's another reason to explore, I just found one with an Improbability Bomb. HOORAY. I can't decide whether to sell or use though... decisions decisions... Smile

I decided I wanted to level up all my travel really high to account for RPing having wings down the line and being able to easily fly everywhere. Now I also profit. <3 <3.

I have found one improb bomb, and to my immense chagrin, I have sold the bugger.

I'm currently only travelling. It's quite peaceful...

Profile Email
Rosin
 Wednesday, July 15 2009 @ 02:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Shouldn't Kittymorphs be more adept at running away, thereby costing less stamina instead of more?

I can see how everything else combat related would be difficult. Slender bodies aren't good for fighting, and being distracted wouldn't help with hunting.

But since they can travel farther and faster, supposedly, shouldn't running away be one of their strong points?

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
hajen
 Wednesday, July 15 2009 @ 05:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

this thread keeps showing up as unread, even after i read it three, five more times and click on the mark as all read.
see if this clears that pointer Idea

edit: frak me running, it still does it

or to be more specific: it shows a new post out on the main forum page, but on the 'feature requests, ideas, and feedback' sub forum, it does not show a new post

is it doing this for anyone else?

"tis better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

Profile Email
Cath
 Wednesday, July 15 2009 @ 01:44 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: hajen

this thread keeps showing up as unread, even after i read it three, five more times and click on the mark as all read.
see if this clears that pointer Idea

edit: frak me running, it still does it

or to be more specific: it shows a new post out on the main forum page, but on the 'feature requests, ideas, and feedback' sub forum, it does not show a new post

is it doing this for anyone else?

It did that for me just now, so I checked page two and there was a new post on an old topic... maybe check that for you? Seems like a new post went up without bumping the topic, maybe?

Profile Email
Zahnnie
 Wednesday, July 15 2009 @ 08:26 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Bernard

I have found one improb bomb, and to my immense chagrin, I have sold the bugger.

I saved it and used it against Horatio, it did a SQUILLION damage, it was so worth it. <3

Profile Email
Bernard
 Wednesday, July 15 2009 @ 08:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zahnnie

Quote by: Bernard

I saved it and used it against Horatio, it did a SQUILLION damage, it was so worth it. <3

Then again, it's improbable so it may cause him a surfeit of grasshoppers should I use one on him. I'm well out of it.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.64 seconds
New Topic Post Reply