Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 A suggestion to new players?
 |  Printable Version
Symar
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 02:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ooh, I like the council offices idea.

Profile Email
Dorque
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 04:53 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: LeGrande

As far as getting places, why not have someone at the Council or the Chop Shop be able to give rough directions to nearby locations, much like the Newbie Advisory gives directions to IC and Kit from NewHome? Heck, you could make it cost req or cigs or both. But then again, that's why there are the teleporters, so that travelers who don't want to deal with getting lost have an option.

*lightbulb*

Why not have the person who is giving directions in each Council or Chop Shop always be able to direct you in the general direction of IC, but no other town? You'd still have to locate everything or one-shot there, but then you could get rough directions back to IC. So it gives you important information, but doesn't spoil the luxury of getting a map.

Another option is to make a map one of the things you can find when traveling.

Hey, didn't I already make this suggestion a little earlier?

Profile Email
LeGrande
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 05:37 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Did you? I'm sorry if I inadvertently took your idea, although I thought I'd just come up with it--I'll blame it on my fast reading which sometimes causes me to quote things thinking I came up with it myself. The good thing is that my mistake shows that more people in favor of the idea. Smile I've gotten accustomed to the map for the most part, so I don't need it now, but it would have been a good thing when I was new.

On the other hand, we all know when someone hasn't read the effayque if they're in NewHome asking for directions to Kitt or IC.

Profile Email
Dorque
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 06:31 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Hehe, I made part of it, that there be basic directions available. You came up with the wrinkles. Wink

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, August 04 2009 @ 11:48 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just a bit of feedback on this. I was just in Newhome, there was a rookie there who was asking questions about mounts. He made a point of saying that he'd read the FAQ, just so nobody thought that he was the sort of person who doesn't. He still felt the need to ask questions.
I had a quick look. It's a bit out of date. Is it possible you (CMJ) could let a few of us edit that so it can be updated so it really does respond to Frequently Asked Questions. In particular a big mention of Location 4 (which OK, nobody actually asks about that, but still...) and removal of references to PvP?

Profile Email
Cath
 Monday, August 10 2009 @ 11:27 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

So perhaps this topic is a bit old but I've not been reading much recently... Epaphus, if you Mods are getting a ton of questions that have nothing to do with what you're supposed to deal with, have you or would you consider having a secondary link in the petitions where the person asking for help would choose whether they needed game-play assistance or technical help and would then send a petition/distraction to a list of people willing to help out with that sort of question.

Granted, it would be best if it only sends the petition to a willing helper who happens to be logged in at the time but I'm not sure if that's possible. That person, by volunteering, would do their best to answer the question and if they couldn't, could direct the questioner to someone who can or something that does.

It might not be a perfect solution but should help you guys focus on the more important technical issues.

Profile Email
Pinche Cabron
 Wednesday, August 12 2009 @ 09:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Regarding newbs asking for directions: How about sign posts in each outpost? They wouldn't even have to be specific, just listing Cardinal and ordinal points to the other outposts[url]. Distances could be exact*, vague**, or given in different units***.

* 12 clicks to the NW
** Far, far away to the NE, just over the mountains
*** Outpost X is to the East, approximately 48 Leagues****
**** or millibars, or Kelvin, or hogsheads

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.29 seconds
New Topic Post Reply