Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Everything Else New Topic Post Reply
 Round of applause.
 |  Printable Version
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, November 05 2008 @ 10:42 AM UTC (Read 6657 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I was on the island earlier tonight, and saw you having to deal with "Thinker". Must be a shitty thing to have to do. Respect sir. Not just for doing what had to be done, but also for the whole way you handled it. Well done. Just thought that needed saying.

Edit : The stage effects were pretty cool too.

Profile Email
Count of S-G
 Wednesday, November 05 2008 @ 11:48 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, Dan, you know my feelings on the matter, but thinker went too far, and I think you made the right decision. I'm glad to know that there have been only 5 people banned from Improbable Island, it seems that we don't pick up dicks.

On the note of stage effects, is there any possibility that we can use those in our own dwellings, or clan leaders could use them in clan halls? Because they were really cool.

Glory Points awarded for this fight: 0 You have defeated The Watcher! You receive 1377 Requisition! You receive 20193 experience!

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Wednesday, November 05 2008 @ 05:55 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Echoing the request for stage effects -- it would make narrative flow a lot less repetitious for the Island's roleplayers. I'd be willing to purchase the ability to use stage effects. 1000 Donator Points? I'm there. Fastest ten dollars you ever got from me.

Likewise, I wouldn't mind if you had to somehow unlock the ability. Or a combination of the two! Donator points to get a quest to unlock stage effects, however rare you'd like to make 'em. Please-please-please. It would be excellent if I didn't have to work around a Zolotisty verbs construction every time I hit a new line.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, November 05 2008 @ 06:41 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

That'd be a right pain in the arse to actually implement, I fear... The /game emote is pretty well hard-coded, and only admins can use it.

I guess I could write a module that would allow people to go into a shop and type something, to have it spurted back into the town via addcommentary, making a DP charge per action.

I'd be quite tempted to just put this in AceHigh only, for now. I can see how this could be VERY easily abused. For example:

/game Hairy Mary drops his pants.
Hairy Mary says, "I didn't do that!"
/game Hairy Mary says, "Oh wait, yes I did. Look at that."
Hairy Mary says, "Someone's taking the piss, here."
/game Hairy Mary shakes his hips all night long.

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, November 05 2008 @ 07:14 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

What Zolotisty said!

However rare you'd like to make it, however hard to obtain... and subject to instant loss if abused even slightly. Not a permanent loss, even, if that feels too much like using the Ban Hammer... just set the rash offender back to the beginning and make them have to earn the privilege back all over again.

That's a 'path to success' that would totally suck in your passionate role-players.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Viroath
 Wednesday, November 05 2008 @ 10:16 PM UTC  

Dan, I know a good way to prevent the abuse of that. If it's possible, have those commands ignore the normal color code table, keeping it fixed to one color.

Either way, good job handling that.

Count of S-G
 Wednesday, November 05 2008 @ 11:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

/game Hairy Mary drops his pants.
Hairy Mary says, "I didn't do that!"
/game Hairy Mary says, "Oh wait, yes I did. Look at that."
Hairy Mary says, "Someone's taking the piss, here."
/game Hairy Mary shakes his hips all night long.

Why is that abusing it?

Glory Points awarded for this fight: 0 You have defeated The Watcher! You receive 1377 Requisition! You receive 20193 experience!

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, November 05 2008 @ 11:54 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Good point.

/game Count of Saint Germain strips off and dances.
/game Count of Saint Germain's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.

Profile Email Website
Count of S-G
 Thursday, November 06 2008 @ 12:08 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hey it's like the tower of babel thing you suggested on dragon prime, so you can't tell me you don't find it funny.

Profile Email
CheshireCat
 Thursday, November 06 2008 @ 03:57 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

/game CC Night grows on the Island.
/game CC Wonder and... is that purple? On an Orange? Grapefruit?

The Island's Most Married Kittyjoker.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Thursday, November 06 2008 @ 05:14 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I'll see your right pain in the arse and raise you 2000 Donator Points and an additional in-game acquisition process that's even more tedious than Scavenging. I'm quite serious about this!

Or a kidney. I guess I could part with a kidney.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, November 06 2008 @ 04:33 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

/game Zolotisty takes out his wallet and hands it over to Admin CavemanJoe, complete with credit cards, PIN numbers, and sample signatures.
Admin CavemanJoe says, "Oh, how generous! Why, thank you very much!"

Profile Email Website
CheshireCat
 Thursday, November 06 2008 @ 07:36 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Here's an idea. Use them in 1 town. Just limit it to one town, like Imp Central. If it's "abused" by your standards, then remove it. But if it's not, then don't worry about it, and just leave it in that one town.

The Island's Most Married Kittyjoker.

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Thursday, November 06 2008 @ 09:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hey Islanders,
I've been devoting some thought to how island-wide FX ought be handled, and have some notions to file on the topic. (I know, big surprise, right?)

So, the interesting bit for players is the ability to announce something Island-wide, sort of like a PA system.
The less-than-interesting bit for players is that if it becomes commonly available, then, well, it has potential for abuse/spam/and otherwise the saying of less-than-interesting things.

My take is this: If it's going to be island-wide, it should be important and occasional. And probably not purchasable.

Things like DKs and quest monster kills happen frequently enough that those should probably NOT be subject to the island-wide PA.

Things like wedding announcements (You hear wedding bells pealing across the Island) are good candidates.
As are things like the parties that SPOON threw on Halloween.

If there were things like groups of players fighting large groups of monsters, or a posse going after a PKer en masse, that might also yield not an Island-wide announcement, but perhaps an announcement in the surrounding area of an outpost.

I have more thoughts on this, but short of a broader featureset available to the game, it's a bit cart before horse.

All best,

~Crash

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Thursday, November 06 2008 @ 10:11 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

What's a little bit of identity theft between friends? Wink

Anyway, I'm less interested in Island-wide effects than I am in making narratives on the Island less stylistically repetitious and more cohesive. Island-wide effects could be handled via some sort of moderated petition module. Got an announcement to make? Schedule it in advance to be broadcast to x Outposts on y date. Make the entry fee steep enough that people only use it for special occasions, and that Joe doesn't have to deal with a significantly increased workload when he hops onto the Island.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Fodder Kid
 Friday, November 07 2008 @ 03:53 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Crash,

Are you thinking of something like an Island wide headset or shortwave radio? I mean there could be a channel for each outpost as well as an island wide one. Maybe even throw in Clan specific channels as well or even a 'Free Channel' that people could just gab on to whomever was listening in. I's also make the channels toggleable, that way you could select the messages you wanted from where you wanted.

I also think that Outposts that change hands should be an event that goes out.

And maybe it would be a good idea to make the radio appear as a gift from the Watcher for 5 DKs. I mean things are confusing enough for newbies and giving them access for an island wide thing could be cruel and mean.

What a great idea,

Fodder Kid

Profile Email
Rosin
 Friday, November 07 2008 @ 10:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think that it should be enabled for dwellings. Having the ability to make things explode in the moderate safety and comfort of one's mansion would be an enjoyable experience for all.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Friday, November 07 2008 @ 11:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Good questions and ideas, all.

My thinking along these lines is a three-by-two matrix.

Let's make the X like this: Local vs. Regional vs. Island-wide
And these can be in the Y column: Communication vs. special effects.

I see communication as being largely well-addressed. We already have in-game mail, chat-rooms, and the communications tent. Communication also has the ability to be abused, as we saw in the Thinker case.

Special effects is where the real juice is, I believe. It adds some mystery and wonder. As in, "I wonder what the hell that was?"

My problem in brainstorming about this is how to keep it rare enough and special enough that it doesn't become omnipresent text-spam popping up with such frequency that, well, it's boring.

So, to limit it, I'm trying to think less about how players could access CMJ's godlike broadcast abilities, and what they'd use it for, and more about what kinds of events are important and interesting enough to be broadcast both locally (within the city) and surrounding 8 squares; regionally (within a city, and out to, say, a 5-10 square radius); and Island-wide [you hear a (something) coming from the direction of Improbable Central.]

Now, what kinds of special events do we have on the Island as it stands right now?
a) Parties. SPOON's Halloween thing was pretty cool.
b) Weddings. Pretty rare, but cool. And good excuses for parties.
c) Births (largely player-created, but still rare enough).

You could argue that the following are also somewhat special
i) Slaying of questcritters.
ii) DKs
iii) People making it out of the Abandoned Factory alive.

However, the first two are already announced in other forms, and the last, most people announce themselves.

I could add when cities get taken over (handed over from one clan to another at the start of a new gameday) that could trigger some kind of announcement, but I shan't because it's already announced to most players when they come in who won or lost, and it's mostly only of interest to clans, and thereby less interesting to newer players.

Another limiting factor is the fact that when you enter an outpost, a great deal of the communication is asynchronous -- you don't know if it's happening now -- or if it's leftover from last night. For instance, I missed Thinker's bannination, but I was able to go back and see what Joe did. Of course, that was a largely one-sided conversation, but having read sufficient amounts of Thinker-drivel, I was able to imagine the whining, and that was good enough for me.

Taking all this into account, here's my proposal.

For clan-backed parties, allow them to buy something like fireworks. This would require Joe's input and consent. And likely require a fair amount of clan req/cigs. In addition, the clan could also submit a description set for something like a circus-tent/party building that would appear in a single outpost of choice, OR, for an Island-wide party, appear in Common Ground. Clans would have a great deal of fun coming up with descriptions and behaviors for the tent and any props in it.

And by the way, it needn't be a tent. It's just an object with descriptions. Might be a party blimp, a wandering mansion (howl's floating castle/baba yaga's hut), or a ship docked off the coast. People could get there by walking into an outpost, a curious rock, by taking a ferry -- however. Maybe for really interesting parties, it could appear in the Raven Inn, so folks would have to hunt their butts off to get in.

Back to special effects though, when a party is going on, Islanders in other outposts might see shafts of light descending from the clouds, see an airship passing over, hear strange rustlings in the jungle, hear a ship's horn off coming from the rocky shoals near New Pittsburgh, and so on.

For more common events like weddings and births, you could simply hear the peals of bells from the direction of the outpost it's happening in.

What made the CMJ v. Thinker bannination event cool to my mind was:
a) CMJ being a wandering badass.
b) The fact that the player in question was being...how to say this kindly...so many great Anglo-Saxon words for it. Let's say foolish.
c) But most especially, it was HOW DAN WROTE IT.

All this to say, if Dan's going to give us a megaphone, what we say and do through it ought to be cool and themely. And that takes really good players, and some editing.

That's my two cents. I'm probably being too harsh. But I'd rather it be special than profligate.
And I've seen way too many fart jokes on the Island to have faith in making it a widely available tool.

[You hear the sounds of flatulence coming from the general direction of NewHome. An eye-burning miasma of stink settles over your area in the Jungle. You feel the desire to move quickly from the scene.]

Tell me you won't see something like this if the SFX megaphone is available to anyone with 50 cigarettes (for instance). Some would do it on a lark. And that's not improbable. It's likely.

Okay. Soapbox mode off.

All best,

~Crash

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Friday, November 07 2008 @ 11:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Two more thoughts re: Rosin and Fodderkid's ideas.

Rosin: VERY Local. IE, in mansion SFX. Awesome. Makes parties great. Doesn't inflict spam on world. I say greenlight that one.
Fodderkid: Your idea takes the SFX idea and morphs it into in-game channels. Who is sending, why, and who receives? We already have the commo-tents for outpost-to-outpost communications. I like the channel idea a lot -- it resonates with inter-clan, and intra-clan communications which we sorely lack outside of clanmail. Can you give us a few examples of what your notional system would be used for and what the user experience of that would be like? I like the idea of the tool. I'm just wondering how you envision it being used. Pardon my density, but I always like use-cases. It helps me think.

~Crash

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, November 08 2008 @ 12:47 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I agree; if we're gonna do this thing, it's got to be priced at such an extent that it would be a very special, very rare occurrence.

(BTW, there's no special functionality to make a roleplayed action have consequences elsewhere (IE people in IC hearing/feeling the blast from Kittania) - I just faked it by writing the scene in Kit and then going and writing in the blast effect in IC. I'd imagine players would do the same thing)

So, if we make it expensive, people will take more time to write and edit their special effects (that sounds like a good name, let's use that for now) and they'll be of better quality.

I don't think, therefore, that we should make this a permission that you can buy from the Hunter's Lodge. I think we should charge per line of text, in Donator Points. And charge hard, too - not hard enough to price the feature right out, but hard enough to make people think "what special effect would be awesome enough to justify the expense?"

25 Donator Points? Does that sound expensive enough? Too much?

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.77 seconds
New Topic Post Reply