Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Everything Else New Topic Post Reply
 Improbable Island and World Community grid
 |  Printable Version
D4rchangel
 Monday, December 01 2008 @ 05:09 PM UTC (Read 9780 times)  
Forum Newbie

Also known as the "CMJ decides to save the world" project.

Since no one has said anything yet, my thoughts:

Hell yeah, that was a good idea!

Helping is always nice... and it's a way to strengthen our Improbable community a bit more, I think.
(At least it made me remember this thing existed, wich I had forgotten a while ago)

Always a good job, CMJ. Keep at it Wink
(PS: Say Hi to your ulcer for me. It seems a nice guy)

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, December 02 2008 @ 03:09 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I hadn't known or thought about this when I started the team, but it seems that the Statistics page for our team is also available in XML format. It's conceivable that we could tie in a game feature to how many points we're accumulating in the Grid.

Question is, do we want to? I mean, it'd be good publicity and all, and it'd certainly help the cause. But would it actually be any fun?

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, December 02 2008 @ 04:44 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Some thoughts:

- It's a natural addition to the Hall of Fame. Points, reports, time... lots of nice stats to sort by,

- A telethon-style progress bar towards a fairly easily achievable sub-goal is a great motivator. A good place for that link would be off the Common Grounds, so people could check it from anywhere.

- To make it fun, all you need are some in-game rewards. It would be good if you could send a signal of success to all team members when a sub-goal is reached (Distraction? Improbable Event?) -- perhaps accompanied by a short buff (like Warm Fuzzies?).

- Heidi is already promoting unselfishness, Since she stopped handing out so many free turns for giving up a couple of PvP fights each day, the mysterious little New Day bags of reqs have gotten noticeably smaller, which means donations to her pool must have dropped off dramatically. She needs something to rebuild traffic. Perhaps she might be persuaded to offer some additional free turns to those who contribute to another worthy cause?

Profile Email
D4rchangel
 Thursday, December 04 2008 @ 05:25 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

But can you actually know in the Island who's in the grid?
I mean, it has no direct connection and people may not even be using the same e-mail in their accounts.

If you can, something like a buff and an island-wide event would be nice.

If not, well... raining candy when a goal is reached, or a special monster of some sort?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, December 04 2008 @ 05:42 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

No, there's not really a feasible way to track the contributions of any given player. I was thinking along the lines of "Everyone gets a present when we get more than xx points / years of computing time."

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Thursday, December 04 2008 @ 09:57 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I like the idea of raining candy. Or some other small reward that you can give often, and which doesn't unbalance anything.

Would a progress bar showing how close we are to the next episode of Candy Weather (or whatever) be hard to do? I've noticed, in many different contexts, that feedback is a very effective way to get more participation. Or... maybe it would be more accurate to say that the absence of feedback leads people to feel that, hey, doing their little bit wouldn't make any difference, anyway, so why bother? There's something very motivating about watching a goal getting nearer and nearer.

Feedback works. Telethons use it. We used it in SPOON to make that huge, difficult push to full clan buffs faster than we even thought was possible. Obama used it very successfully -- small-dollar contributions are why he was able to outraise the Republicans without becoming beholden to the usual handful of large donors.

Profile Email
TheMuffinMan
 Tuesday, December 23 2008 @ 06:54 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Alright everyone, in less than one month of running the World Community Grid, our team has contributed more than a year's worth of run time. I feel like this is a great milestone and just wanted to say: great job everyone!

Still haven't joined yet? What's stopping you? Wink Click here and help save the world!

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, January 12 2009 @ 07:10 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Just wanted to bump this thread to tell everyone that in less than an month and a half, our team has now contributed more than two years of run time to the World Community Grid.

Way to go, team!

Profile Email
Theo1
 Monday, January 12 2009 @ 12:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

man i wanna join up, but im already running F@H on my computer which already eats all my extra resources *cries* sorry guys, but they got me first

ahh well, ill contribute to my disease research and you guys contribute to the rest of the world, between us we can cure cancer and solve world hunger all at once

Theo/Teia thinks everyone is damn sexy, except for you, you're just moderately sexy.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, January 12 2009 @ 03:09 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

There there, Theo, don't cry. Lots of ways to do good in the world. You've picked a great one.

But for anyone who's just considering joining up to do grid computing -- World Community Grid doesn't just work on world hunger. There are quite a few projects. You get to specify which one you want. And if your computer asks for more work and there isn't a work unit ready right then for your chosen project, there's no waste -- it'll assign a unit from another project. Most of my computer's spare resources are being used for cancer research, but I've also contributed a little bit to AIDs research, something called "Human Proteome Folding" (have to go figure out what that is!), and, yes, Nutritious Rice for the World.

It's painless, really. And so very much worth doing.

Profile Email
Theo1
 Tuesday, January 13 2009 @ 08:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

yeah and you can leave it running as long as your computer is on, it just uses up what CPU Etc. your not using at the time, if your playing a game, it works slower, but if your like me and leave your computer running 18 hours a day even when your not there, it means that all that extra Runtime, isnt wasted, its instead spent on things like the count mentioned

Theo/Teia thinks everyone is damn sexy, except for you, you're just moderately sexy.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, January 26 2009 @ 02:53 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Bumping this thread to Point With Pride to the fact that Improbable Island has now contributed more than three years worth of time!

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, February 11 2009 @ 08:34 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Bumping again... we're now over Four Years.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, February 22 2009 @ 04:36 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Five years!

Halfway to the original goal of ten. Hey, is it time to move the goalposts yet, Calvin Dan? Wink

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Sunday, February 22 2009 @ 05:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I just finished installing it to Kerrigan, I'll go put it to my other computer as well.
-I'm not sure why I didn't do this earlier, but I'm glad I am now.

Honestly Dan, this is a great thing that you're doing. Even if you don't offer a reward, it just makes me that more proud to be part of a game that cares enough about the other side of the fourth wall to encourage something like this. I really do appreciate it Dan,

And to everyone who's also part of this time, hat's off and a salute to you.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Jones
 Monday, February 23 2009 @ 09:57 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

If one were to provide rewards, it would be difficult to be fair.

• Rewarding in line with run time by individual would massively favour those with better/more computers, or the opportunity to leave computers running. (See some stats below.)
  • Rewarding on an absolute basis just for joining gives rewards to those few folk that have signed up but actually contributed no run time at all. (Although I suppose that this type of reward is what is currently being offered anyway.)

Some current facts and figures for you:
  • There are 56 users currently.
  • The top 6 contributors provide about 50% of the total run time.
  • The top 13 contributors provide about 75% of the total run time.
  • The top 22 contributors provide about 90% of the total run time.
  • The top 29 contributors provide about 95% of the total run time.
  • The top 37 contributors provide about 99% of the total run time.
  • 7 users have contributed zero run time although they signed up many weeks ago (this is excluding recent joiners that have yet to register any contributions).

Particular kudos to aeridus for generating nearly twice as much run time per day (4.1 run time days per elapsed day) as the closest rival, Paul Caswell (2.3 run time days per elapsed day). They have racked up just over a quarter of the total team run time just between the two of them! Well done both of you!

Profile Email Website
Jones
 Monday, February 23 2009 @ 10:11 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Actually, I should single out CountSessine for special attention too. Although we're mostly looking at the results in terms of run time, World Community Grid think that the "points" measure is a better reflection of the quality of contributions. On that basis, CountSessine is in second place between aeridus and Paul Caswell.

So kudos to you too! Big Grin

Profile Email Website
TheMuffinMan
 Tuesday, February 24 2009 @ 02:50 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Well, I think CMJ's current plan of giving all involved 100 donator points at 10 years is the fairest, if not the only way, to do it. Like you mentioned, some people have extra computers to run on and others don't have their computer on all day. Sure, a special nod to people with the most would be nice but making it a contest to keep your computer on the longest and spreading it to as many other computers as possible defeats the point: to help solve these problem with your spare computing power.

Anyways, hooray for five years!

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, February 24 2009 @ 08:16 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I think the 'reward' should be to the whole Island. All players, those who have signed up and those who haven't yet. The point of the reward is to celebrate a milestone... When you celebrate something, the more people who have a good time, the better.

Plus, when the cheering and fireworks die down, I'll bet the team will have a lot of new members.

Profile Email
TheMuffinMan
 Monday, March 23 2009 @ 03:42 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I'm jumping out from hiding to say Seven years! Let's keep it going, everyone!

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.80 seconds
New Topic Post Reply