Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 gremlins at the bar (somewhat RP)
 |  Printable Version
Daedalus
 Tuesday, November 17 2009 @ 08:59 PM UTC (Read 1072 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

hey

Just recently I was at the bar in CG. While I was there g_rock had a number of gremlins working for him, and serving at the bar. Of particular note was a gremlin named Cookie, who is a chef and all round barrista. She makes a great coffee!

I loved this idea, and asked g_rock to release Cookie to work at the bar on an ongoing basis. He agreed, reluctantly, and subject to the condition that Cookie's well being is assured, and that Cookie can leave if she ever feels threatened. I concurred immediately.

I think some of you will know why I like this idea. There has recently been a growing and gruesome trend to dealing with gremlins in CG, and I think this will go some way to modifying that, without having to growl at or ignore perpertrators.

So, ... what I'm asking is for players to build 'Cookie' into your actions at the CG bar. eg:

Daedalus taps on the bar in search of coffee. A gremlin head pops up and smiles. "Whatchya want?" "Coffee thanks, Cookie." "OK!" (and so on)

The image I have is of Luepe in Grim Fandango.

Thanks for reading

D.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
g_rock
 Tuesday, November 17 2009 @ 09:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I would add that there is currently a small kitchen being built. Not likely to be full-function, but as passable as the bar itself.

Additionally, If you take to RPing Cookie, her personality to date has been somewhat exciteable and nervous, and her text color has been `V (lavender)

Profile Email
Omega
 Tuesday, November 17 2009 @ 09:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

NesQuarX wouldn't like that ideaXD I agree though.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
g_rock
 Tuesday, November 17 2009 @ 10:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Omega

NesQuarX wouldn't like that ideaXD I agree though.

Yeah, Nesquarx was to be informed prior, as part of Cookie's employment contract.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Tuesday, November 17 2009 @ 11:21 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Usually these things -- establishing an NPC in a certain area -- happen organically. I scanned through the CG and I think it's well on its way to happening without any polite mandate here in the Enquirer. Wink It's also worth mentioning that he trend among certain roleplayers to behave indifferently if not benevolently toward gremlins is also one that's already in motion, but you can't say, guys, stop beating up the imaginary things that we attribute all of our typos to, especially on an Island where radical violence is common.

I'm curious as to how the Gremlin learned English! g? Backstory?

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
g_rock
 Wednesday, November 18 2009 @ 12:16 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zolotisty

Usually these things -- establishing an NPC in a certain area -- happen organically. I scanned through the CG and I think it's well on its way to happening without any polite mandate here in the Enquirer. Wink It's also worth mentioning that he trend among certain roleplayers to behave indifferently if not benevolently toward gremlins is also one that's already in motion, but you can't say, guys, stop beating up the imaginary things that we attribute all of our typos to, especially on an Island where radical violence is common.

I'm curious as to how the Gremlin learned English! g? Backstory?

*ahem* backstory forthcoming, after I get a few things...sorted out...regarding gremlins. *ahem*

Profile Email
Daedalus
 Wednesday, November 18 2009 @ 07:47 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

hmmm ... it certainly wasn't my intention to step on anyone's toes, or that of established characters. I actually wasn't aware that anyone had an established anti-gremlin character. I've messaged NesQuarX and outlined my thinking. Time will tell if the two characters can co-exist. If not, then of course Cookie, as the new arrival, (and not being a player's primary character) will have to yield.

The appeal to me of a Cookie type was simply that it provides possibility for another set of interactions, beyond dreaming up new ways to dismember or disembowel etc.

If it even looks like becoming a point of any contention then clearly it's not worth pursuing.

D.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, November 18 2009 @ 03:14 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Hmmm right back at you, Daedalus. Do you think Skidge asked NesQuarX's permission before introducing Cracker, or creating the Free Library as a haven for gremlins?

There are a number of other characters who are becoming more and more benevolently disposed towards the cute little pests, too. You'll have noticed the trend these days is to shoo them away now and just take the missing letters back, rather than brutally murder them. This is an excellent thing.

Profile Email
monsterzero
 Wednesday, November 18 2009 @ 03:49 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

...but you can't say, guys, stop beating up the imaginary things that we attribute all of our typos to, especially on an Island where radical violence is common.

Well...I'll try not to swat your guyses' gremlins anymore, but I will continue to kill mine. That's what the OED is for; it's Prescriptivism Instantiated.

Also, it's part of m0's M.O. to be casually vicious towards NPCs.

Profile Email
Anonymous: g_rock
 Wednesday, November 18 2009 @ 04:55 PM UTC  

Quote by: monsterzero

...but you can't say, guys, stop beating up the imaginary things that we attribute all of our typos to, especially on an Island where radical violence is common.

Well...I'll try not to swat your guyses' gremlins anymore, but I will continue to kill mine. That's what the OED is for; it's Prescriptivism Instantiated.

Also, it's part of m0's M.O. to be casually vicious towards NPCs.

I should mention that I'm not opposed to gremlinian violence outside the grounds, but the CG is meant to be a bloodless, explosionless place, so maybe cookie will extend the moratorium on violence to the hapless NPCs

Skidge
 Wednesday, November 18 2009 @ 06:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I THOUGHT I POSTED A RESPONSE TO THIS WHERE DID MY RESPONSE GO.

I noticed there was Talk of Gremlins and came over. 'cause! It's my THING, innit. And I should probably mention that if there is a gremlin with a HAT about, that's a Library gremlin and would be best left alone. They've all been given hats, lately, SICPUESS.

And may I take this chance to mention how much I appreciate the movement of late to NOT treat gremlins as creatures upon which to practice one's leanings toward brutal serial killing? Because I do appreciate that.

I'm in agreement with yon' Daedalus and g_rock. I'd never tell people how to play their characters, and Skidge would never DREAM of telling people how to live their lives, but it'd be nice if the violence was toned down a bit. monsterzero, do what you do! Nobody's judging you on your treatment of the fictitious creatures XD.

Profile Email
g_rock
 Wednesday, November 18 2009 @ 06:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Skidge

I THOUGHT I POSTED A RESPONSE TO THIS WHERE DID MY RESPONSE GO.

I noticed there was Talk of Gremlins and came over. 'cause! It's my THING, innit. And I should probably mention that if there is a gremlin with a HAT about, that's a Library gremlin and would be best left alone. They've all been given hats, lately, SICPUESS.

I hope to dovetail my research into gremlins with the established canon. As such, I am currently speed-reading and less speedily responding, but that's all very Distracting.
Currently, there are a number of gremlins in the grounds, one of whom is in fact wearing a hat, a chefs hat to be precise. There are plans for a small banquet/continental breakfast in the grounds later today in celebration.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.94 seconds
New Topic Post Reply