Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Cigs as an iitem
 |  Printable Version
Beeker
 Sunday, December 06 2009 @ 04:32 PM UTC (Read 5650 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

An idear!

Having cigarette smoking as a hotkeyed nav leads to accidental smoking and frequent outburts of arrrrrgh and grumbling.

Why not make cig's usable in the same way that medkits or monster repellent spray are? Medkits and spray aren't hotkeyed, you have to open your inventory to use them and they're an iitem. If cig's were the same way, it seems like it might save a lot of arrrrghing.

Profile Email
Paul Lo
 Sunday, December 06 2009 @ 04:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Interesting idea, Beeker. If that was the case, though, ciggies should have 0 weight; those that collect them tend to end into the three digits.

Smile

Yes, I have a dream, of electronic sheeps and linen bedsheets. But that's not the point. Or isn't it?

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, December 06 2009 @ 05:45 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

From a user interface point of view, this makes a lot of sense. The smartest game strategy is to reserve smoking cigs for those emergency occasions, anyway, and the buff lasts so long that one in a day is usually enough, so it's not like it's something that people need or want to do frequently.

I'm guessing it would be a lot of work to implement them as actual iitems... cigs are 'gems' in the original LotGD code, the gem count is in the user's basic data, and references to that gem count are woven into the code throughout the game. Miss a reference somewhere and we'd have a bug that would be more frustrating than the original problem. (And I'm pretty sure that for game balance reasons eBoy's is never going to be trading in cigs!)

It might be easier to create the illusion of cigs as iitems: in the inventory display (outside eBoy's but not inside) show the contents of the tobacco pouch in a separate display like the backpack and bandolier by referencing the user's gem count -- and allow a 'use this item' action there to reduce that count and apply the buff -- and remove the links to smoke a cig from the village, forest, and worldmap screens.

Profile Email
Symar
 Sunday, December 06 2009 @ 06:18 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yes please!

Profile Email
XaNe
 Sunday, December 06 2009 @ 11:12 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Sounds like a good way to go, I Strongly approve! I'm tired of accidentally giving Xane lung cancer because I'm trying to improve my insults...

Some people see the glass as half full, some people see it as half empty, I just spit in the cup until it isn't a problem anymore.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Monday, December 07 2009 @ 12:47 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Aim for the Head
Aim for the Head
Have a smok-FOOK!

Happens. Every. Time.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Jon Bishop
 Monday, December 07 2009 @ 05:05 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I definitely wouldn't mind. Though if it's hard to code, I'd be just as happy if there was no hotkey for having a cig.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, December 07 2009 @ 05:24 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

This probably, honestly, wouldn't be that hard. Cigs would have to have some weight, really, or it'd feel a bit weird - but they'd only have to weigh as much as real cigarettes (which is to say, very little).

However, this is going to have to go on hold for a while - as will a lot of other IIsland-related stuffs - for reasons that will become apparent soon. Confused

Profile Email Website
Azraile
 Monday, December 07 2009 @ 05:34 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

how about just take away the hot key

seams simple enugh

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, December 07 2009 @ 05:40 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

It isn't.

Profile Email Website
Dorque
 Monday, December 07 2009 @ 07:46 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

If we could just CHANGE some of the ciggy hotkeys that would be wonderful.

Go to the (H)ospital.... OH F*** I'M NOT IN THE JUNGLE

Profile Email
Anonymous: Frosty
 Monday, December 07 2009 @ 08:19 AM UTC  

100% agree. Anything that stops you from blowing away your most valuable commodity would be awesome.

Just remove the hotkey and it's good enough. Or have it go to a confirm screen. Smoking a cig is just about the rarest interface event that happens, I usually got mul;tiple drive kills between needing to use one., and have occasionally used it accidentally very late in a day, totally wasting it.

omenesia
 Monday, December 07 2009 @ 08:40 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Count+Sessine

It might be easier to create the illusion of cigs as iitems: in the inventory display (outside eBoy's but not inside) show the contents of the tobacco pouch in a separate display like the backpack and bandolier by referencing the user's gem count -- and allow a 'use this item' action there to reduce that count and apply the buff -- and remove the links to smoke a cig from the village, forest, and worldmap screens.

I fancy the idea of having a separate tobacco pouch on the inventory screen, even if it's non-interactive. Though the idea makes me consider having other tobacco products, like cigars or pipes too.

Lions. Lions the whole way up.

Profile Email
Azraile
 Monday, December 07 2009 @ 11:12 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

yah but what would the other smoking products be for?

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Monday, December 07 2009 @ 12:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, smoking a pipe would clearly add to charm. Whereas chewing tobacco would probably give a higher buff, but reduce charm drastically!

Profile Email
Reverb
 Monday, December 07 2009 @ 01:47 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Heh, the midgets would definately be into the chewing thing.. and i suppose the Jokers would be all pipes and fume-cigarette..

Then cigars for mutants, with billowing smoke clouds to hide their appearances.. and a hooka for the Kittymorphs, although god knows what kinds of psychedelic catnip-mixes they'll be using.. Humans can keep their trusted old fags, and robots.. Well, erh...

crap.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
g_rock
 Monday, December 07 2009 @ 06:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Reverb

...and robots.. Well, erh...

crap.

Nicotine fuel additive?

Profile Email
Dorque
 Monday, December 07 2009 @ 06:48 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Hey, if a robot can eat meat and drink energy drinks, they can smoke a cigarette. Makes perfect sense to me.

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Monday, December 07 2009 @ 07:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: g_rock

Quote by: Reverb

...and robots.. Well, erh...

crap.

Nicotine fuel additive?

AKA insecticide, also helpful to keep flies from making those black spots on the glass panels.

... won't help with the windshield problem, though.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Monday, December 07 2009 @ 07:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

ah, found one! Tobacco vapourisers!

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.72 seconds
New Topic Post Reply