Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Meat!
 |  Printable Version
Zekiel
 Tuesday, October 13 2009 @ 12:27 PM UTC (Read 5494 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

Now that I've actually started using the butchering skills, it's caught my attention high level monsters only very rarely are skinnable. The edible ones I find are far and few between. (Gut feeling says the average amount of meat found on monsters of a certain level fluctuates strongly between the levels. It appears that lower level monsters contain relatively more meat than mid levels, though 13 and 14 are alright, with the Panthzers, Ninjas, etc. etc.)

There's only very few nice cleaning carcasses at lvl 15, like the undead dreaming catfish god, while there's plenty of mobs that, judging from other things that give meat, should. After slaying the Mongol Hordette and her dozens of armed horsemen, I'm yet to obtain a single ounce of meat. One of This or That Guy is butcherable while the other is not. Squicky the Bunny isn't, while the Nitro-vial throwing one is. The Frankensteinian Abomination is immune to butchering knives (to mine, anyway), whereas just about every other zombie-like thing I've encountered does net some meat, crappy though it may be. The Flaming Contestant doesn't give any meat, while strangely enough the Laboratory Explosion does.

Then there's conflicting death messages. Off the top of my head, the Madness Duck appearantly walks away, seeing you are clearly already mad, when you slay it. However, you can clean its corpse. I'll post more odds and quirks about the meat system as I come across them, but until then, more stuff to butcher at level 15 would be great (and, improbable though it may seem, sensible).

If the world didn't suck, we'd fall off.

Profile Email
Zekiel
 Tuesday, October 13 2009 @ 05:08 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Appologies. The lack of butcherable corpses is problematic with level 16 monsters. Not 15. Some of those listed above are 16, some are 15. Confusion all around, but still no meat on level 16 scaries.

Profile Email
Zpatula
 Tuesday, October 13 2009 @ 10:51 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

At level 15 you should stop butchering meat and go have tea with Horatio. Exclaimation

I ATE PINEAPPLE!

Profile Email Website
Zekiel
 Wednesday, October 14 2009 @ 01:22 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

At level 15, I hunt suicidally to get even with CMJ for making Energy Drinks take foodspace.

Also, at level 15, I run into improbable encounters where you have no choice but to fight the drive. There are other ways that ensure you end up facing him, even though you really wanted to gather some requisition. I actually lost 50k I'd already gathered because I wasn't aware there's a no-escape encounter with the drive. Couldn't get killed by him (even though I wanted!), so ka-boom, gone's my money.

When you can kill the Drive in 2 days flat without too much effort, getting more DKs isn't exactly on the top of people's priority lists. Not being forced into showdowns while persuing other goals might be convenient, but that would make reaching those other goals too easy. What caused me to start this post, though, is that I couldn't find the logic behind certain things being skinnable (Lab Explosion) where others can not (*a long list of opponents clearly made of flesh and bones*).

Profile Email
Adder Moray
 Wednesday, October 14 2009 @ 02:10 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Just a suggestion for avoiding the drive, stay at level 14.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, October 14 2009 @ 02:29 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

If you read the description and the lose/win messages, the Laboratory Explosion is a time-distorted version of your own demise. So there should indeed be meat.

The larger point is well taken, though. Meatiness is not very evenly distributed through the levels. (Moreover, some creatures that should give a boatload of meat, don't. I mean, a regular army of... er, hippopotami... gives only four bites of meat? And you're right about the Mongol Hordette.)

But hey. The monsters existed and were assigned to their levels long before Meat came along. A retrofit is always difficult; though some tweaking might be in order, I think we're going to have to accept that they're never going to provide an even distribution.

Profile Email
Zekiel
 Wednesday, October 14 2009 @ 03:15 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I'm not expecting (or asking for) strictly uniformous butchering between the levels. That'd be improbably average. What's odd, though, is the huge differences I currently feel exist. (I haven't actually kept track of numbers -- It's just a gut feeling.) Level 4 monsters, in my experience, give much more meat per encounter on average than, say, level 8, 11 or 16 creatures.

It borked my comprehension functions to the point I thought it might be worth mentionning.

Also, "(Moreover, some creatures that should give a boatload of meat, don't. I mean, a regular army of... er, hippopotami... gives only four bites of meat? And you're right about the Mongol Hordette.)"... Very correct. It seems that at the moment the quantity of opponents isn't reflected by the quantity of the meat, which is weird. The quantity of the meat appears to be determined rather inconsistently: 4 bites for an army of hippopotami, 20 bites for a bunch of rejected monsters, 10 bites for a single panthzer, no bites at all for a horde of dozens of armed horsemen...

The quality of meat doesn't very strictly relate to their previous owners either.

I understand balancing a game is among the big challenges (if not the foremost) of making a game great. Retrofitting when new features are released can be tedious, especially when there's more features that are yet to be implemented. Priorities, priorities... Then again, I'm a perfectionist, which, while mainly applied to my own work, tends to make me criticise that of others as well.

If I can be of assistance tweaking butchery to perfection, I'd gladly help out. If not, I'll just fume on the fora 'till people better suit to the job than me get it done. Cool

Profile Email
Reverb
 Wednesday, October 14 2009 @ 03:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There is an actual Meat List that shows the meat gains on some creatures. It's not leveled though.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Zekiel
 Wednesday, October 14 2009 @ 08:21 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Mine is. Wink

Or did you mean that the list shows the distribution isn't uniformous/leveled?

Profile Email
Reverb
 Wednesday, October 14 2009 @ 09:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I was refering to the Meat wiki page, which shows an ever-increasing number of creatures and what kinds of meat they grant. But it has no levels in it. Yet.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Jay Chaos
 Tuesday, December 08 2009 @ 11:59 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

There's a lot of meat incosistencies around... Alright.

Other day i fought a Pack of Chewing Gum, and got some crap meat for it. WHAAAT?!
Improbable indead.

But, i was thinking... "Okay, there's a lot of enemies, and some of then gives you meat. But i fought several vegetable enemies and some of then gives meat too! And, whatheheck, why can't i get some stew from the Stew Pot?". So, this idea came to me: "What if there was a lot of stuff you could butcher of fallen enemies, besides his meat?"

Vegetables, scrapbot pieces from robot enemies and new sorts of items could be added too. I mean, the Socktopus death message says "You just won a pair of new socks" or something like this, so... Why can't i have then socks out of roleplaying way?!
Maybe some enemies could have small chances on dropping weapons, armor, general items, even food (real food, like in the restaurants), some enemies could drop some booze (i've seem one or two carrying bottles around)... You COULD wack some pants without shredding then.

Just a idea though... It may be tricky, and now is certainly not the time to focus on that (or maybe it is, i've seem some stuff that sugest new items are comming).

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Wednesday, December 09 2009 @ 01:15 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Stick around for S3, Jay. Wink

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
omenesia
 Wednesday, December 09 2009 @ 08:04 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Zolotisty

Stick around for S3, Jay. Wink

Is it ok if I'm still waiting for S2? There seems to be quite a bit coming in the current season still. Trying to distract me with a shinyier Season only works most of the time on me. Razz (Besides I'm waiting for S4 for the massive amount of pun-nery awaiting it.)

Lions. Lions the whole way up.

Profile Email
Milo D. Chinaski
 Wednesday, December 16 2009 @ 07:55 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I was thinking maybe there could be a third skill at Maiko's that would allow you to see what quantities and qualities of meat you would get before butchering it, so if you would only get a couple bites of crap meat, you might choose not to. Alternatively, that ability could show up once you reached a certain level at cleaning the carcass.

Profile Email
Zpatula
 Wednesday, December 16 2009 @ 05:35 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Milo+D.+Chinaski

I was thinking maybe there could be a third skill at Maiko's that would allow you to see what quantities and qualities of meat you would get before butchering it, so if you would only get a couple bites of crap meat, you might choose not to....

The type and ammount of meat you get from a specific monster is constant -- the Emu, for example, always gives 1 crap, 1 decent, and 2 tasty. Start a list. There is a partial list in the Wiki of Lies you can use as a starting point, but it is... full of lies. There are other lists out there that have better accuracy.

I ATE PINEAPPLE!

Profile Email Website
talkydoor
 Wednesday, December 16 2009 @ 06:02 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What I really would like with regard to meat is a bigger cooking pan... When I have 200 meat to cook up, it really takes time going back and forth between screens. Alternatively, just put a Cook up more meat option on the Return to Jungle screen... This would save so many page loads, and doesn't seem (to my ignorant mind) that difficult to implement.

Pretty please?

Profile Email
Milo D. Chinaski
 Wednesday, December 16 2009 @ 08:04 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Thanks, Zpatula! I still think it'd be a cool skill, though, because most people won't come across this. Like how you can find a map of the island on DeviantArt, but you can also buy one legitimately on the island.
and I'm with you, talkydoor.

Profile Email
Jay Chaos
 Thursday, December 17 2009 @ 11:31 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I think a bigger cooking pan only should be avaliable for purchase with cigs. The amount of meat you can cook at once include a cost-benefit ratio avaliation, since you can cook 20 pieces of crap meat, 20 pieces of tasty meat or 1 piece of crap meat using the same stamina amount with the actual system.
But i highly agree though with putting a "Cook again" link on the end of the cooking process.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Hobo
 Sunday, December 20 2009 @ 05:05 AM UTC  

didn't think to see if the wiki had any info on meat amounts (it is full of lies after all) so had been making my own list for a while... then had the idea to add levels to it. In case it helps at all, here's my list as it stands.
I think i put a * when i saw an enemy give an excessive amount of req for its level (of which i've only added 2)
Long post, but i'm sure you won't mind too much

Gothic Romantic Heroine = 1-2-1
Fat Butcher = 2-1-2
Skub Activists = 2-2-2 !
Emu = 1-1-2
Ambush Hamster = 0-0-1
Army of Hippopotami = 0-0-4 !!
Veteran Player = 2-2-0
Quivering Flesh Heap = 10-0-0
Wild Monkeys = 0-6-0
Uranium Man = 10-0-0
Member of Doktor Improbable Lovers Anonymous = 1-2-1
Dali the 4 clawed lobster= 0-0-3 !
Flock of Swallows = 3-1-0
Bees and Ants = 10-0-0
Rind Flayer = 1-2-1
David Attenbourgh = 1-2-1
Mathamatician = 1-2-1
Creepy looking guy in a trenchcoat = 1-2-1
Kierkegaard = 1-2-1
A completely rational monster = 10-0-0
Anthropomorphosized Circular Saw Philosopher = 1-2-1
CattyWampus = 7-0-0
Rude Duplicate Creature = 1-2-1
Conglomeration of Probable Creatures = 20-0-0
Gordon the Cheese Eater = 2-1-1
Wolpertinger = 4-4-0
Three Droogs = 3-3-0
Foil Wench = 2-2-0
Scotsman Clad in Kilt = 2-2-0
Gary Gygax = 1-2-1
Moose = 1-2-4 !!
Blue Delusional Spandex = 0-1-1
Dick = 2-1-0
Master of Disguise = 2-1-0
Old Crippled Beggar = 1-1-0
Blond Heiress = 4-2-0

Lvl 1

Lvl 2

Lvl 3
Lolrus = 1-1-3
Self-Conscious Dwarf = 2-0-0
Giant Midget = 4-0-0
Zombie Kitten = 5-0-0
Midget Paladin = 2-0-0
Guy Who Keeps Running Behind You Whenever You Turn = 2-1-1
Whining old school gamer = 2-1-1
Lame ass = 3-2-1

Lvl 4

Lvl 5
Socktopus = 6-0-0
Zombie Kenny = 5-0-0
Enchanted Stewpot = 5-2-0
Pack of chewing gum = 1-0-0
Turkey = 1-2-3
Foreign Traveller = 1-0-2

Lvl 6
That Cutie from Work = 1-2-3 !!*
Walrus = 0-2-3 !!
Bettie the kung fu butterfly = 1-0-0

Lvl 7
Diseased Lung = 6-0-0
A G-nother G-nu = 1-2-3 !
Rodent Of Unusual Size = 4-0-0
Sorority Girl in Nightie = 1-2-2 !
Catholic Priest = 1-2-1
Your in-laws = 10-0-0
Veteran Player = 0-2-2
Typo Gremlin = 7-0-0
Work Experience Lads = 2-1-0
Mobius Strip = 1-0-0 *
Gothic Romantic Heroine = 1-2-1
Albert = 1-2-1

Lvl 8
Whopper with cheese = 3-0-0
Weatherman = 1-2-0
Sadface = 1-0-0
Wild Horses = 0-4-4 !!

Lvl 9

Lvl 10
Immortal Slasher Villain = 3-2-2 !

Lvl 11
Bluebird of Happiness = 1-1-0
That goddamn aye-aye = Crap

Lvl 12
Purple People Eater = 4-2-0

Lvl 13
Flock of Fanboys = 4-2-2 !!
Last survivor of Ethygim Villiage = 1-2-1
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Ahhhhhhhhhh = 3-4-5 !!!

Lvl 14
Ninjas = 0-0-4 !
Midgets from the Travel Agents = 12-0-0
Animated Fursuit = 1-0-0
Undreaming Catfish God = 0-0-4 !!

Lvl 15

Hobo
 Sunday, December 20 2009 @ 05:08 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

i think the level is tied to what level i was when i wrote it down rather than the creature's level however, been a while since i did anything with this list

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.67 seconds
New Topic Post Reply