Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Item Trading and Discard
 |  Printable Version
Milo D. Chinaski
 Wednesday, December 16 2009 @ 08:22 AM UTC (Read 1410 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Wouldn't it be cool if discarded items stayed where they were discarded until someone found them? e.g. I drop a One-Shot Teleporter on the beach south of New Pittsburgh because the damn thing's just so heavy, and later some lucky zombie stumbles upon it on that same square of beach. It could also act as a method of trading, because I could be like, "Hey buddy, I'll leave a teleporter here if you'll leave a few 'nades over there."
Would that be a huge pain to programme?

Profile Email
omenesia
 Wednesday, December 16 2009 @ 10:39 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I'm willing to bet that it's possible, but that it wouldn't get added anyways.
It's simply too exploitable. About 3 means to work the current system popped into my head almost immediately, and i'm sure there's lots more than that.

Lions. Lions the whole way up.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, December 16 2009 @ 02:04 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yeah. Sadly one of the big problems in S1 involved wealth transfer, which means that req didn't disappear with a DK. (Hey! I'm about to go have tea with Horatio, someone want to take 50,000 req off my hands?) This meant that there was massive amounts of req floating around which was deeply unbalancing.

This is why we have to buy and sell items via eboys rather than directly to each other, as used to happen. (Anyone wants to sell me a stick of nicoteen gum for 50,000 req?)

Great shame really, as there's a lot of things that that counts out, your idea for instance, which otherwise I quite like.

Profile Email
monsterzero
 Wednesday, December 16 2009 @ 03:12 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

The lack of object continuity implied by the Discard function has always bothered me. Maybe each Discarded item could have a 0.2 chance of landing on a World square, after which it would act like a dropped crate.

If 80% of what you stashed vanished immediately, it'd be a lot harder to game the system, and it'd be nice to find some stuff (yours or someone else's) later on. Clans could have secret stockpiles, which of course would be subject to raids (or just accidental discovery). So they might want to relocate them periodically.

On the other hand, there'd be no incentive to sell your stuff to eBoy right before a DK. It might end up making prices even higher.

Profile Email
g_rock
 Wednesday, December 16 2009 @ 04:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Or, what if it always landed back on the map, but in a random location? After all, the idea of finding something in the same place you left it would be...improbable around these parts. That way, at least someone gets use of it.

Profile Email
Milo D. Chinaski
 Wednesday, December 16 2009 @ 08:07 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Or if the contents of crates was made up of discarded items? But that might suck..."Oh boy, 12 packs of gum and no grenades!"

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, December 17 2009 @ 02:17 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I like monster0's idea. If 80% diappears each time, then even if used for req transfer consistantly, contestants would only end up with an average of 25% more req than they have now. It also means we could start dropping Hansel and Gretal style nicoteen gum trails through the wilderness. Big Grin
On the other hand, it would still be used for transfering req from a character who's just going through a DK, and for whom 20,000 req is going to waste, to a character who's just been through a DK, and for whom 4,000 req is quite a significant sum, so it could still be somewhat unbalancing.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.27 seconds
New Topic Post Reply