Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 In Improbable Island, Drive seek YOU!
 |  Printable Version
Genevieve
 Sunday, January 10 2010 @ 03:50 PM UTC (Read 2694 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have noticed that the new forced Drive encounters feature has gotten little feedback. Well, it doesn't have it's own thread yet, at any rate.

I have a few opinions on it:

1) it's kind of annoying. Mostly due to the Oupist invasion business. Now, I understand why it's being done, but it doesn't make it any less annoying when you get jumped by the drive and lose all your Req because you were unprepared.

2) it's a great way to keep people on their toes and actively participating in the fighting aspect of the game as well as the role playing aspect. I know I was seriously upset when a bunch of contestnats threw me at the drive and I popped up in Squat Hole naked and weaponless. But all that frustration did was make me rush back into the fray (Squats was under attack at the time) with the intention of getting back up to a level where i could be helpfull again. It's kind of like when your masters come at you for being Truant, keeps you from taking advantage of your high level.

3) Its kind of unfair that you lose all your req when the drive jumps you. I know the only option is "Go down swingin'" and I know that you always lose your req when you lose to the drive. But, due to this whole outpost invasion business, a lot more contestants are carrying a lot more req on their person. Which makes it a dmaned shame when the drive drops in on them and they can't escape and are unprepared. I saw a guy lose 100,000 req he saved for a wedding ring because some contestants carted him off to face the drive.

I can't think of any more things at the moment... I suppose it's handy for midgets, since they're awful at travelling.

Profile Email Website
K.K. Victoria
 Sunday, January 10 2010 @ 05:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, the solution is to simply leave yourself at level fourteen and not to level until you've done everything that you wanted.

There's a way to manipulate your experience levels so that you always stay below level 15 (Like I have been doing this entire bloody time,) and intentionally failboat yourself to avoid gaining so much experience that your masters hunt you down and you are forced to level up.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, January 10 2010 @ 08:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Actually, I don't think this is a particularly new feature, in fact I know it's been in the game for well over a year at least. Perhaps you just hadn't come across it before because you never hung round long enough after reaching lvl 15 for it to take effect?

By the way, as I understand it, it doesn't necessarily take you to the drive, just a random outpost. Not sure about that though, I've never had it happen to me. Can anyone confirm/refute that?

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Sunday, January 10 2010 @ 08:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yes. Has been here as long as I can remember, and it takes you into a random outpost.

The frequency of them carting you off increases with the amount of days that you have been level fifteen and have neglected to attack the drive.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, January 10 2010 @ 09:42 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

The mobs of villagers, and the Drive finding you -- that's been part of the game since I started early in Season One.

In fact... (goes to check)... yup. It's part of the core LotGD code, so it's been here since the Beta.

Profile Email
Beeker
 Sunday, January 10 2010 @ 10:12 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Agree that it's been in the game for a long time. Evidently Gen just hasn't encountered it before!

That said, having Peer Pressure and Onslaught active at the same time makes one wonder what the villagers are thinking. "Oh, you're defending our village? Well, stop doing that and go fight the Drive! Here, let us carry you away to a different outpost that isn't in any danger, because we surely don't need you defending our home!"

A suggestion! Put a check in Peer Pressure so that if there is an outpost whose threat level is above n, (I'd suggest maybe n is 3), the villagers will leave players alone.

Profile Email
Jay Chaos
 Sunday, January 10 2010 @ 10:22 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

The Monsters are Drive creations... Is acceptable to think that destroying the Drive the Improbability would be gone and thus the Monsters.

It would be something like: "You! You seem like a strong one! Go, defeat the Drive and end this!".

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Sunday, January 10 2010 @ 10:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think everyone knows how often the Drive is defeated, (Hell, the sculptures in IC sure do) and they know that defeating the drive would do nothing, as it is constantly defeated and yet they are still attacked. It's not really a good conclusion, and I definitely agree with Beeker in that, no citizen would ever cart off a hero to go fight something that is currently irrelevant to the situation.

They would also not do it for fear of leaving the safety of said outpost while it is under attack.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Jay Chaos
 Sunday, January 10 2010 @ 10:36 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Well, you can never know what time will be the last untill it comes, don't you?

Maybe this time the Drive will be really gone. Why not?

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Monday, January 11 2010 @ 12:18 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, the immediate danger, for one thing.

Why do something that has been done hundreds of times in the past, to prevent something that has been shown to continue on even after said something has been done, at the risk of losing one more useful defender and dying? No one would join the mob that says, "LET'S ALL GO EXPEDITE OUR DEMISE!"

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Jay Chaos
 Monday, January 11 2010 @ 12:24 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

This is Improbable Island... More than half of the people here are as crazy as rocks.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Monday, January 11 2010 @ 12:40 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Isn't that the excuse of the game...

Just because you're crazy doesn't mean you're stupid.

And also, I would argue that there aren't that many crazy or strange people on the island. To be crazy (not in a clinical sense,) you have to be different than the majority, the social normal. With a normal that constantly shifts or is completely warped anyway, then those people aren't crazy or strange. They're perfectly normal.

However, I'm not gonna bother with that whole tangent.

See, some may be inclined to agree with the, "More than half of the people here are crazy."

Sure. However, those crazy people aren't fools, are they? Jokers are by far the "Craziest" on the island, however I have yet to meet one who is a legitimate idiot.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Monday, January 11 2010 @ 12:48 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Jay+Chaos

This is Improbable Island... More than half of the people here are as crazy as rocks.

Just like real life! Big Grin 'Hope springs eternal in the human heart' and all that.

Profile Email
Jay Chaos
 Monday, January 11 2010 @ 01:06 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Come on... Jokers aren't idiots, but they would surely let a town burn just to warm their fingers.

And, yes, people in the island ARE crazy. Because they differ from the majority, World majority. They could think that the next guy (yesss, the next guy) will be the one to defeat the Drive for good (i'm sure, i'm sure... The next one will make, the next one...).

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Monday, January 11 2010 @ 01:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yet, the World Canon is hardly referenced in this game. All we know is that it's... What, 2110? Somewhere around there.

How can you be absolutely positive that people around the world aren't like that?

For that matter, everyone forgets what their past was like, (Technically) after beating the Drive for the first time. They have no idea what the previous 'Normal' was, so they accept this new condition as 'Normal.'

Plus, if you live with something long enough, it becomes Normal no matter what the world says.

Point being, though they may be abnormal, this does not make them idiots.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Genevieve
 Monday, January 11 2010 @ 01:52 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Welp, I feel a bit stupid now. I suppose I do go seek the drive ASAP when I hit level fifteen and hadn't noticed this amusing little feature until quite recently.

But it is kind of odd to have it running during the outpost invasions. Same with Truancy, but I know why that is still active.

I find it hilarious, though, when my masters come to get me for being Truant because the town is under siege.

Profile Email Website
Jay Chaos
 Monday, January 11 2010 @ 01:57 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

IMHO it all makes sense. And from my point of view, the people don'f forget **everything**... There's even a little confusion when you become a Zombie, 'cause you say you've gone to school, but then you think "Isn't it weird to have school for Zombies?". So, you forget your last Drive kill, but not all of your past.

Profile Email
Bakemaster
 Monday, January 11 2010 @ 02:26 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Solution: Keep a one-shot teleporter in your bandolier if you're at risk for random Drive encounters and have a large amount of req you want to keep, either on your person or in the bank. It's a lot cheaper to buy the one-shot than lose everything.

And before anyone asks, yes, I have teleported away from Horatio quite a few times, so I am sure it works.

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Monday, January 11 2010 @ 02:32 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Jay+Chaos

Come on... Jokers aren't idiots, but they would surely let a town burn just to warm their fingers.

Not any of the Jokers I know.

In case you hadn't noticed, Jay: Jokers have been running themselves ragged since this started, defending all the towns.

Profile Email
Jay Chaos
 Monday, January 11 2010 @ 02:43 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I was just making a point here, mate. Not accusing any Joker of not fighting...

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.75 seconds
New Topic Post Reply