Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Some feedback on invasions (LONG post!)
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, January 12 2010 @ 10:18 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: crashtestpilot

A few folo-ups:

a) Do monsters (here comes another one!) killed in breach count against total no of monsters attacking city?
b) Do they count differently than ones encountered in jungle? Are these two numbers actually one number?
c) Do monster numbers replenish during a breach or is it a static pool?

Looking for strategy fodder here.
I'd like to see if we can retake NP.

~CTP

a) Yes.
b) One Outpost, one number.
c) Monsters spawn as usual during a breach.

Profile Email Website
K.K. Victoria
 Tuesday, January 12 2010 @ 11:47 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Like to also mention:

Do not reinforce until failboat anymore. You lose your reck now.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Ada
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 12:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: crashtestpilot

Looking for strategy fodder here.
I'd like to see if we can retake NP.

~CTP

Setting up a task force to retake the outpost would be hilariously epic. I'm sure you could get some good support going for it, too. (I'd go!)

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 12:16 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Am working on just that notion, Ada.
Of course, just making it a SWEET Network thing would be fun in and of itself.
But retaking a breached outpost? One of NP's difficulty? Seems there's more than enough glory to spread across our collective toast.
Will post in CG accordingly, as soon as I rally the Network.

~CTP

Profile Email
Anonymous: AJyoung
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 05:33 AM UTC  

I don't believe this was suggested, though it is much to read, and I am quite tired, but maybe you could add an exp. multiplier for defeating enemies in a row during a breach.

When invasion happens it is war, and war is hell, but there is no reason war cannot be organized, even on the battlefield soldiers have a medic. Not to mention that it's defense, defense of an outpost full of NPCs. Why can't the NPCs band together to aid the players fighting for them... well so to speak, obviously we could all just leave the damn outpost to rot and fall apart and nothing would happen to the NPCs, but that kinda kills the whole suspension of disbelief, at least for me.

Now that I've rambled my ramble, I thank you for take the time to read it.

tehdave
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 06:47 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: AJyoung

I don't believe this was suggested, though it is much to read, and I am quite tired, but maybe you could add an exp. multiplier for defeating enemies in a row during a breach.

When invasion happens it is war, and war is hell, but there is no reason war cannot be organized, even on the battlefield soldiers have a medic. Not to mention that it's defense, defense of an outpost full of NPCs. Why can't the NPCs band together to aid the players fighting for them... well so to speak, obviously we could all just leave the damn outpost to rot and fall apart and nothing would happen to the NPCs, but that kinda kills the whole suspension of disbelief, at least for me.

Now that I've rambled my ramble, I thank you for take the time to read it.

As far as the multiplier: To my knowledge, any contestant that manages to make it through a breached outpost ends up with ridiculous amounts of EXP anyway, so the multiplier isn't really necessary. At least, that's what I've been told. Only time I wandered into a breached outpost, I was level one on a rank 7 DK and got hit for 100 more damage than I had HP, so I wouldn't know, myself.

I like the idea of NPCs helping out though. The Gauntlet guy could help out in IC, Maiko in Kittania, Cuthbert in Pleasantville, Cake or Death Guy in AceHigh, etc. Hell, even let an abandoned factory robot loose on the enemies in CC404...that'd teach 'em!

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 07:04 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

*cough* NPCs do help out. Oops!

You'll see. It's a random event, but it's someone different in every Outpost.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Skidge
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 07:08 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ahem.

Let it be noted that Skidge is now going to be stalking NewHome, in order to continue her possibly psychologically damaging, albeit non-romantic (or so she keeps insisting, over and over again, in an overly high voice, to anyone who looks at her funny), obsession with Mister Stern.

Profile Email
Anonymous: glacier
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 01:39 PM UTC  

Don't want to make a new thread for this, so I'll say it here:

Thank you, CMJ, for adding in the multiple reinforcement button. It made me very happy and it made reinforcement a delight, rather than a mind-numbing chore. Well done!

Paul Lo
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 04:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm thinking about something; what about the contestants under level 10 (and who did no opt-in for being counted as a high-level, see preferences)?

They can reinforce the defenses, but do they count as killing the swarm when they venture in the jungle? And if the buildings get HP separated from the wall, what can they do?

Another question: what happens to the lil' ones when the 10 and highers have to defend themselves from a breach? Since they seem to be/are immune to this, couldn't there be some flavor text saying that others are fighting for their survival while they pick flowers (counting myself in)?

Yes, I have a dream, of electronic sheeps and linen bedsheets. But that's not the point. Or isn't it?

Profile Email
Bakemaster
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 08:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Paul+Lo

I'm thinking about something; what about the contestants under level 10 (and who did no opt-in for being counted as a high-level, see preferences)?

They can reinforce the defenses, but do they count as killing the swarm when they venture in the jungle? And if the buildings get HP separated from the wall, what can they do?

Another question: what happens to the lil' ones when the 10 and highers have to defend themselves from a breach? Since they seem to be/are immune to this, couldn't there be some flavor text saying that others are fighting for their survival while they pick flowers (counting myself in)?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, unless this is a new feature... I've been under level 10 since the day onslaught launched, and have always had to fight the hordes in a breach.

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Daedalus
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 09:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

As a (somewhat belated) specific reply to Calliaphone original post ...

Quote by: calliaphone

Okay, I'm a lightweight I know ...

nuh uh, you aint no lightweight.

D.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Paul Lo
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 09:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oops, seems my reading was faulty. Surprised!

"You are safe from the effects of Outpost invasions until you pass level ten in your first Drive Kill"

I just suppose I never had to face a true breach then, unlike Bakemaster. Imma sowwy.

Yes, I have a dream, of electronic sheeps and linen bedsheets. But that's not the point. Or isn't it?

Profile Email
Tyr
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 09:45 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Bakemaster

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, unless this is a new feature... I've been under level 10 since the day onslaught launched, and have always had to fight the hordes in a breach.

I think it only counts for Rookies. Rookies under level 10 don't have to worry about getting coldcocked by a level 16 monster if they're in an overrun outpost (that would result in a lot of Failboat trips, and probably a lot of frustration). But, they can choose to turn off that protection in their preferences.

Also: CMJ, thank you for listening and responding. The new reinforcement is fantastic.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 11:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It would be a bit unfortunate if a new rookie arrived in the game just as New Home was breached. No access to weapons, armour or free grenades, or even Corporal Punishment, FAQ or fourth area. Wouldn't be a good start for them I wouldn't have thought. They'd think the entire game consisted of getting hit by things far stronger than they, they'd be on the fail boat within seconds, and then would have lost there small amount of starting req and be unable to buy anything at all.

That's a good point actually, what happens if you do go through a DK and start in an outpost that's just been breached? Surely even the strongest of players would have problems there? Has this happened to anybody?

Profile Email
Beeker
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 11:23 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Skidge

Ahem.

Let it be noted that Skidge is now going to be stalking NewHome, in order to continue her possibly psychologically damaging, albeit non-romantic (or so she keeps insisting, over and over again, in an overly high voice, to anyone who looks at her funny), obsession with Mister Stern.

*insert narrow-eyed squinting here*

Profile Email
PyreKasen
 Thursday, January 14 2010 @ 02:21 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

That's a good point actually, what happens if you do go through a DK and start in an outpost that's just been breached? Surely even the strongest of players would have problems there? Has this happened to anybody?

Yes. I looped while SH was breached. I ran from the battle and found myself in PleasantVille all of a sudden (On the World Map). But if you're unlucky, it's likely you'll get killed before you can flee.

Profile Email
Daedalus
 Thursday, January 14 2010 @ 07:22 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Beeker

*insert narrow-eyed squinting here*

As against ... wide eyed squinting? Mr. Green

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Derander
 Thursday, January 14 2010 @ 07:31 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: PyreKasen

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Yes. I looped while SH was breached. I ran from the battle and found myself in PleasantVille all of a sudden (On the World Map). But if you're unlucky, it's likely you'll get killed before you can flee.

Did the rank setting screen pop up? R0 monsters shouldn't be too much of a problem, prolly.

Note to self: Before having tea, clear up IC /and/ hometown.

Profile Email
Tyr
 Thursday, January 14 2010 @ 07:57 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Rank isn't the problem. Level is. When an outpost is overrun, low-level contestants can be attacked by high-level monsters. You don't normally run into Foilwench at level 1. Or the Mongol Hordette at any level below 15.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.75 seconds
New Topic Post Reply