Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Crate idea
 |  Printable Version
Ebenezer
 Tuesday, February 23 2010 @ 06:36 PM UTC (Read 2522 times)  
Forum Moderator

Would it be possible to allow players to reject crates? I know that there are times when I've not wanted crates. (In fact, I always seem to find them at these times and not when I want them, but that's just my bad luck).

My idea was that perhaps crates could look a bit more like logs or stones. "There is one crate on this square. Pick it up?"

And if you pick it up, it acts just like a crate does now.

So you don't know what's in the crate until you pick it up, but once you've got it, you can't put it back down. (Though you can drop the items into oblivion or whatnot).

In my humble opinion, that would be really awesome.

That's all I've got! Discuss?

Profile Email
Chimental
 Tuesday, February 23 2010 @ 06:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That would be a good idea. I recall times moving a whole bunch of stones to my home and I kept coming across crates, going "GAH! NO! QUITIT!"

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Tuesday, February 23 2010 @ 06:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh, please! I had a very grumpy five minutes the other day when I was drive hunting with little spare stamina and picked up a crate just outside New Pitts. I wouldn't have minded, except New Pitts was overrun, and the drive happened to be waiting for me in the jungle. So all that DP-funded cash injection got wasted. And, since I don't travel very often, I nearly always find crates at useless times, which makes me feel all guilty about the lovely people donating and not finding them.

/witter

Profile Email
Tyr
 Tuesday, February 23 2010 @ 11:30 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Fourthed. I'd love to be able to leave crates for others if I'm tired or overloaded or drive hunting or, well, rich.

Plus, it would be another reason to pay attention rather than just blindly clicking through things.

Profile Email
Ada
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 12:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yes please! I always feel guilty when I run into them around NewHome, because that could be going to a newbie who needs money and thinks that crates are a lie because they've never found one.
Being able to pick one up and then drop it wouldn't be good, I don't think. But if I haven't even looked inside, why not be able to just leave it there?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 12:27 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Right now, you've got multiple things you can pick up on the World Map, supplied by two different modules.

World Map Crates stores its crate locations in a serialized array. The module that hooks into iitems to allow a player to pick up or put down iitems also uses a serialized array. This really needs rethinking so that there's another database table, with a row for each world map square, and the contents of that square stored in (you guessed it) a serialized array in the "data" field of that row.

Then, we write one module that handles picking up and dropping of things on the World Map - which means you'd always pick things up or drop them the same way. Good for consistency, and also closer to what I have in mind for S3's map.

I'll investigate this soon. It's lower on the priorities list for now.

Profile Email Website
Ebenezer
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 12:50 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: CavemanJoe

I'll investigate this soon. It's lower on the priorities list for now.

Huzzah! Thanks for considering it!

Profile Email
ImNewHere
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 04:07 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Yeah, when I have all I need I really don't want a crate or 5, and I do travel alot. If I could leave them there for people crate hunting or for when I've just finished my drive kill that would be great.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.32 seconds
New Topic Post Reply