Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic
 I'm a dragon, so what?!
 |  Printable Version
Ryushi
 Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 07:54 AM UTC (Read 6656 times)  
Forum Newbie

So, most of you people in newhome see me as weird, huh? You seem to forget about the entire island.

-he looks as if something got his attention, but there is nothing where he is looking-

Shut up! It drives you nuts too!

Profile Email
Binjali
 Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 08:05 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Dra-gone, huh. I hear there are good eats on them thar things.

Profile Email
Ryushi
 Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 08:26 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Yeah, though it's tough to skin em though. Yes, i eat my own kind. You have no idea how much chaos a dead dragon brings.

Profile Email
Paul Lo
 Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 03:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yes, I have a dream, of electronic sheeps and linen bedsheets. But that's not the point. Or isn't it?

Profile Email
Ryushi
 Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 08:16 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

-reads-

[I'm doing everything right in my eyes. If i went with what i actually HAVE developed already, it would be MUCH worse, trust me.]

Profile Email
Zpatula
 Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 09:05 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

[yawn]...

I ATE PINEAPPLE!

Profile Email Website
Jon Bishop
 Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 10:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If you want to be taken seriously, or even have your existence acknowledged at all, for that matter, then no. You are not a dragon.

Profile Email
Ferryn
 Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 10:47 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Ryushi

-reads-

[I'm doing everything right in my eyes. If i went with what i actually HAVE developed already, it would be MUCH worse, trust me.]

Just because it's better than it could be, doesn't mean that it's actually good.

Profile Email
Ebenezer
 Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 11:34 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Beware, I am going to give my honest, cruel opinion. I assume that you are prepared for it, since you opened up this thread.

If I could talk you out of being a dragon, I certainly would. It's difficult to do well, it doesn't really fit in this setting, and the Island has had bad experience with poorly-written dragon characters (that shall remain unnamed) in the past. This means that I (and others that see your character) will see "dragon" and immediately turn off. People will roll their eyes and not take any interest in what you're writing.

I would much rather see you try and play a human character. I am under the impression that the Island setting fits within the Steampunk genre. [Correct me if I'm wrong, people]. There is a lot that can be done with this genre, without involving other genres of fantasy. It would make your character easier for others to interact with for certain.

If you really insist on being a dragon, there are ways to eventually reach that state which may be more widely accepted by the RP community. You probably won't like this suggestion, but I'll make it anyway.
Perhaps your character was changed into a regular human like everyone else when he touched the Improbability bubble around the Island. Maybe he aspires to eventually regain his former physical form. [And you could, after a few weeks/a month or so of establishing personality, then take action to gradually attain a dragon form].
-- This is what Ferryn did. She didn't arrive looking like a bug. She took time to establish her character's personality first and then she had a slow metamorphosis into what she is now.

Honestly, there are wonderful characters that have come from other worlds, so it would not be fair to tell you that you should not do that under any circumstance.

That said... This is a game. The point is to have fun. If you want to be a dragon and you don't care about the guidelines/rules set up by the community, then go ahead and be a dragon. Just don't expect people to love it.

Profile Email
Ada
 Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 11:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ryushi

-reads-

Yes, but you seem concerned about our eyes, not yours. And dragons are right there on the list of things not to do.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Sunday, March 07 2010 @ 12:02 AM UTC  

This is my opinion, which is not restricted to dragon characters:

That sucks.

And what I'm referring to is crap like Rookie Dragonheart McAngelbreath von Darkslayer, who comes to the island as a lost prince exiled from Somewhereland, the realm of pixies who shit gold and manipulate fire and create strange, symbolic glowing objects from nowhere, and have claws like Wolverine and can fly any teleport and read your mind and...

You see where I'm going with this? When a player takes one of these elements, everyone automatically thinks of the entire group, which sucks and is obnoxious. There are RARE people who can pull off a character with some of these annoying Mary-Sue elements, but most people just come off as, let's be honest, a fourteen-year-old who still draws unicorns on the margins of their assignments. It is not gonna endear you to anyone to suddenly jump onto the island being the most magnificent, sexy, awesome creature ever.

Be creative. Take some time to develop a storyline. And above all, understand the setting you are playing in.

Some players will be happy to Mary-Sue with you all over the place, but others will find you irritating. If you don't like that, then don't be a Mary-Sue. If you desperately want to be Rookie Dragonheart McAngelbreath von Darkslayer, don't bother getting whiny or rebellious when people think it's obnoxious. You can't have both things in life.

XaNe
 Sunday, March 07 2010 @ 01:03 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Ebenezer

Beware, I am going to give my honest, cruel opinion. I assume that you are prepared for it, since you opened up this thread.

If I could talk you out of being a dragon, I certainly would. It's difficult to do well, it doesn't really fit in this setting, and the Island has had bad experience with poorly-written dragon characters (that shall remain unnamed) in the past. This means that I (and others that see your character) will see "dragon" and immediately turn off. People will roll their eyes and not take any interest in what you're writing.

I would much rather see you try and play a human character. I am under the impression that the Island setting fits within the Steampunk genre. [Correct me if I'm wrong, people]. There is a lot that can be done with this genre, without involving other genres of fantasy. It would make your character easier for others to interact with for certain.

If you really insist on being a dragon, there are ways to eventually reach that state which may be more widely accepted by the RP community. You probably won't like this suggestion, but I'll make it anyway.
Perhaps your character was changed into a regular human like everyone else when he touched the Improbability bubble around the Island. Maybe he aspires to eventually regain his former physical form. [And you could, after a few weeks/a month or so of establishing personality, then take action to gradually attain a dragon form].
-- This is what Ferryn did. She didn't arrive looking like a bug. She took time to establish her character's personality first and then she had a slow metamorphosis into what she is now.

Honestly, there are wonderful characters that have come from other worlds, so it would not be fair to tell you that you should not do that under any circumstance.

That said... This is a game. The point is to have fun. If you want to be a dragon and you don't care about the guidelines/rules set up by the community, then go ahead and be a dragon. Just don't expect people to love it.

Indeed. I wish I could make a more elaborate explanation, but Eben and Esc got it nailed on the first shot.

If you're getting negative response, and you want to know why, don't be surprised once you're told. However, on that very same list, is a group of people who are all willing to help in several different ways, from RPing with you(assuming you're working on the whole "Mary-Sue" bit) to being good people to bounce ideas off of.

If you really want to be a part of the community, work with us, not by yourself.

Some people see the glass as half full, some people see it as half empty, I just spit in the cup until it isn't a problem anymore.

Profile Email
Silcatra
 Sunday, March 07 2010 @ 05:28 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Escemfer

You see where I'm going with this? When a player takes one of these elements, everyone automatically thinks of the entire group, which sucks and is obnoxious. There are RARE people who can pull off a character with some of these annoying Mary-Sue elements, but most people just come off as, let's be honest, a fourteen-year-old who still draws unicorns on the margins of their assignments. It is not gonna endear you to anyone to suddenly jump onto the island being the most magnificent, sexy, awesome creature ever.

...Now I want to make a 14 year old character who draws unicorns in margins.

Be creative. Take some time to develop a storyline. And above all, understand the setting you are playing in.

Some players will be happy to Mary-Sue with you all over the place, but others will find you irritating. If you don't like that, then don't be a Mary-Sue. If you desperately want to be Rookie Dragonheart McAngelbreath von Darkslayer, don't bother getting whiny or rebellious when people think it's obnoxious. You can't have both things in life.

Also, that. For real.

Profile Email
Shi
 Sunday, March 07 2010 @ 09:05 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

wait, I draw unicorns in the margins of my assignments...
admittedly evil rabid ones that foam at the mouth and chase small people across the page... but still. Mr. Green

Profile Email
Mister Rawr
 Sunday, March 07 2010 @ 09:20 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Shi

wait, I draw unicorns in the margins of my assignments...
admittedly evil rabid ones that foam at the mouth and chase small people across the page... but still. Mr. Green

And we all love you for it. Now go back to your corner Laughing Out Loud

No, seriously... you've all said it especially well, with extra-special credit going to Escemfer. Honestly, it's more fun just to be a dumb guy trying to survive.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Sunday, March 07 2010 @ 11:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

the Island has had bad experience with poorly-written dragon characters (that shall remain unnamed).

Lessee...Eben's in Indiana so if I leave now I should be there by eight o' clock, beat him up, and leave by eight thirty.

...It just occurred to me I probably shouldn't be typing this...IGNORE THIS POST, EBEN!

Rolling Eyes

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Sunday, March 07 2010 @ 11:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Wow. Did I miss something? Looked interesting.

Thank you.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Monday, March 08 2010 @ 02:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Chimental

the Island has had bad experience with poorly-written dragon characters (that shall remain unnamed).

Lessee...Eben's in Indiana so if I leave now I should be there by eight o' clock, beat him up, and leave by eight thirty.

...It just occurred to me I probably shouldn't be typing this...IGNORE THIS POST, EBEN!

Rolling Eyes

Chim, we've had the dragons before the rule came along. Plus, you downplay yours and mine is a random cameo every rare so often.
Plus, I'll draw Alpha for you again if you don't beat Eben up.

Alright outside of that, I've been laughing so, soooo hard at this guy.
Anybody want some popcorn while they watch?

Profile Email
Zephy
 Monday, March 08 2010 @ 03:57 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Chimental

Rolling Eyes

I had assumed he meant Giuseppe Lorenzo. Rolling Eyes I wasn't aware that Alpha was dragon-y under the cloak.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Monday, March 08 2010 @ 04:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: KimmyMonstah

Chim, we've had the dragons before the rule came along. Plus, you downplay yours and mine is a random cameo every rare so often.
Plus, I'll draw Alpha for you again if you don't beat Eben up.

Alright outside of that, I've been laughing so, soooo hard at this guy.
Anybody want some popcorn while they watch?

I know. I'm just playing with Eben.

And sure, I'll take you up on that offer. Just need to wait until you find a working computer. Razz

Quote by: Zephy

I had assumed he meant Giuseppe Lorenzo. Rolling Eyes I wasn't aware that Alpha was dragon-y under the cloak.

Technically he's not a dragon. He's a mutant. His original species was a species of lizard. Ironically, it's Genus name is Draco, which, of course, means Dragon.

It had extendable ribs and a connecting membrane that allowed it to glide from tree to tree. It is the Batman of the reptiles.

*waits for Skidge's comment.*

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.63 seconds