Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 What should be done about the Council Offices?
 |  Printable Version
Raiment
 Tuesday, March 09 2010 @ 09:07 AM UTC (Read 2801 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Lots of people talk about new uses for the Council Offices, since they serve no purpose past the Newhome fetch-quest. I like the idea of a player-generated notice board; it'd be a great way to spread information across the Island. That'd be an excellent use of its space, and help bring the community together.

What I'm suggesting, however, is a new system for questing. It would work a lot like Dan's quests: go to town X and find object/monster Y, only you get a small list (like 5) of options to choose from so you can save the less desirable quests for later. The object of your quest could be turned in at any Council Office. Due to the convenience of such a system, the quest rewards must be significantly lessened. Instead of a good-sized cash reward for finishing a quest, players get a choice or options. Think something like: receive a small cash reward, a +1 bonus to their weapon/armor, a shot of adrenaline (stamina boost), or a pick from one of two randomly-selected items. Player can switch quests at any time if they feel they're having rotten luck at one particular town, but a new quest list can only be obtained by finishing the first list entirely. The reward for turning in the last quest must have a higher reward, just like Dan's (Maybe should save the +1 bonus choice for this reward).

Any thought/comments/or ideas? What should be done with the Council Offices? Should they become a message board? A quest hub? Should all Council Offices, regardless of city, give freebies to humans? Should they be left alone? I wanna know!

Profile Email
Ada
 Tuesday, March 09 2010 @ 03:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm all for adding new quests, of any sort. I wish there were more than just the museum and Dan!

I'm also all for doing something, anything, with the council offices. I'm not convinced that a messageboard is the way to go, because the clan halls, when they get used for that purpose, are still pretty dead. I'm not sure if anyone would use the messageboard! And I'd like to see the council offices get used for something. But even a near-dead messageboard is better than nothing but a non-interactive person behind a desk. (And it would be nice to see a place that anyone can use as a messageboard, not just people in clans.)

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Tuesday, March 09 2010 @ 05:25 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I suppose it's time for an explanation of what the Council Offices used to do, and why they don't do that anymore, hm? If you'd like to skip the wall of text, bounce to the bold text at the bottom.

So! Gather 'round my knees, it is time for storytelling with Z. Once upon a time, in a land called T'interwubs, there was a small kingdom called Improbable Island. Its citizens had grown restless under the flag of Season One. They had slain mighty beasts, chewing gums and Improbability Drives. They had forged marvelous armors, wrought of Campbell's tomato soup cans and battery packs.

They had destroyed the kingdom's economy by passing their requisition among themselves in ways that did defy the natural law of the land and lo it did render them speed-leveling, powerplaying beasts. But beastly beasts they were not! Nay. They were philanthropic beasts, and so newbies, as they were called in that age, were gifted level fifteen arms and armor within twenty minutes of having set foot in the kingdom and the people did look on this tradition and smile beamishly.

Be that as it may, the people were restless. They had vast riches, they had conquered all beasts, there was aught to do with their wealth and wiles. The ruler of the kingdom, a humble caveman from Cheshire, did look upon his peoples and pinch the bridge of his nose and sigh mightily. Being quite occupied with the forging of a new era, the Season Two we do live in today, he decreed to his queen that the economy was beyond repair and would have to make do until the end of the season. Then... The caveman did pause to twiddle his mustache and a look of glee transformed his visage.

But o, he said unto her, let us give them something to piss and scrabble over. Mayhap they will render the economy serviceable again.

And so the Council Offices did spring into being in every Outpost, and within them lounged greasy politicians who smiled the Carcetti smile of cats. (You may have noticed a feline theme in our humble kingdom.) And these politicians, they did accept money for trifles -- perhaps a banner visible to all comers as they sallied into the Outpost, graciously thanking the clan to which you belonged for their generous contributions to Outpost upkeep and repairs. Perhaps trinkets -- grenades, medkits, arcane wizardry called Potent Pills, one-shot teleporters.

I hear the breath catch in your throat. T- teleporters, you say. This sounds both fair and wondrous, why have we not resurrected this hallowed institution!

And there, goddamnit, is where I slam the book shut and begin speaking English.

See, sure, the Council Offices introduced something to do with 'spare' requisition, but they also introduced a level of nastiness and political backbiting as yet unseen on the Island. People lost their fucking minds over this. Imagine all of the misery and ennui that Onslaught has generated, then turn it into a high school pissing contest. For many players, the game became 'dump money into the Council Offices because oh no CLAN is trying to steal it from us just before new day oh fuck oh shit go go go clearly this is the only thing that matters NOOOOOOOO THEY GOT IT HOWEVER WILL I LIVE YOU BASTARDS AGRRHGH.'

..Perfectly sensible people did this. People who would not otherwise be disappointed if someone, for instance, eked ahead of them in the HoF. People who would shrug and go, 'Okay, it's a game, whatever. Congrats to whoever.' Normal people, who value the outdoors over the Internet. (Not saying you don't.) The Council Offices basically transformed a sizable contingent of the Island's players into frothing, spittle-stained assholes.

And if you think you're above it? Probably you aren't.

The environment was such that we lost players, including one of the mods for a while, and it has made a lasting impact on some players who are still around and still interested in playing the game where we all measure our imaginary dicks and then wave them furiously at each other. I hate that game. That is not the Improbable Island we want to build, nor will it be the Improbable Island we build in S3.

So.. that's why the Council Offices exist. They were created to address the economy in S1 and ended up generating drama and animosity of epic proportions. They serve a purpose in S2 as the jumping point for the Museum quest, and (I reckon) will later serve a purpose in the story of the game. ..Don't give me that look, yes the story of the game. You know. Watcher's arse in your face, stolen cigarettes, time travel? Yes? Yes, good. There will be more quest / goal-type ventures, but probably not in the above-suggested form. For now, they're probably going to be left alone.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Raiment
 Tuesday, March 09 2010 @ 05:42 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Tell us another story, Z! That one was so wonderful, and I'm not even sleepy yet! I swear! I could stay up for- ZZZzzZZzZz.
. . .
That was both thrilling and educational! I would like to see the Council Office (or anything, really) have a function bearing on the Island's storyline, even if it's planned for far in the future. Thanks for the lovely info!

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Tuesday, March 09 2010 @ 05:47 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

And beta Season Two with all the tiny clans buying out the outposts as fast as possible.

To be honest, I really liked the museum mission. There was something about it.
But maybe that's just too much Zelda influence on my part. Razz

Profile Email
Chimental
 Tuesday, March 09 2010 @ 08:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I do remember playing a lovely game of 'Oh Fook I Need Moneys Now For Happy Item Fun Time' back in Season one. This was also back in the day where people would be able to hold insane amounts of items, mostly due to the facts they received a few items per New Day. I remember having hundred of grenades, medkits, potent pills (these gave you 'stamina' ) and a few dozen One-shots.

AND THEY CARRIED OVER WHEN YOU DID A DK.

Apologies, Z, for I may have just broken their brains.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, March 09 2010 @ 08:24 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Thank you for the story Aunty Zolotisty!

I was there at the time, and was blissfully unaware that the council 'sponsorship' had led to that sorry state of affairs. I thought that the big clans had come to a mutual agreement about who got which outpost. Shows how observant I am. Maybe that's because I was in a clan where the two main leaders were hardly 'perfectly sensible' in the first place, so I thought that it was just them.

Anyway. Cheers for the info, I had wondered why the whole council sponsorship thing had gone, now I know.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Tuesday, March 09 2010 @ 09:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Chimental

I do remember playing a lovely game of 'Oh Fook I Need Moneys Now For Happy Item Fun Time' back in Season one. This was also back in the day where people would be able to hold insane amounts of items, mostly due to the facts they received a few items per New Day. I remember having hundred of grenades, medkits, potent pills (these gave you 'stamina' ) and a few dozen One-shots.

AND THEY CARRIED OVER WHEN YOU DID A DK.

Apologies, Z, for I may have just broken their brains.

*cries*
Is it weird to say I miss popping those pills? [Yes.]
All the One-Shots and Pills and Repellents you could stuff into whatever pockets you may carry.
"Hello one-day Teas! Lets get this over with quickly, mmmmmmmmmkay? I've got somewhere to be!"

Okay, to be honest:
There are parts of me that miss the easy stuff and other parts that like the new stuff.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Tuesday, March 09 2010 @ 10:19 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Mean, if we want to talk Old Tyme boasting..

16 minute naked DK? YES.
Bet and won in excess of 1,000,000 requisition in the Raven Inn, with witnesses? YES.
Over 400 DKs? YES.

But that's a broken game. Wink

[I fully intend to outdo myself with the million req bet, this season. Sooner or later, sooner or later!]

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Tuesday, March 09 2010 @ 11:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Carelessly lost 2.1 mil? Hell yeah.

I can actually say to people, "I have lost more than you have ever had at one time!" Which is a very good Oompleslinger.

And that wasn't even with a busted economy!

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Wednesday, March 10 2010 @ 01:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zolotisty

.......Gather 'round my knees, it is time for storytelling with Z....

Sehr vielen Dank, Fräulein Zolotisty - I, for one, do appreciate the candid history lesson. The most appealing aspect (to me) of the island is its camaraderie - and the readiness of the admins and mods to RISE UP IN RIGHTEOUS WRATH AND SMITE those who cannot follow the Two Commandments. (Don't be a dick and Don't take it seriously.) To discover that it wasn't always that way is a bit disturbing......

Thank you.

Profile Email
Epaphus
 Wednesday, March 10 2010 @ 07:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zolotisty

Perfectly sensible people did this.[/b]

While I'm arriving a little late for the party, Z, I really must protest the implication that I or anyone else on this Island is one of these "perfectly sensible people." I for one have devoted my entire life to proving otherwise. That, and yodeling.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.46 seconds
New Topic Post Reply