Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 What if hats actually did something (small)?
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: Sarda
 Wednesday, March 24 2010 @ 10:59 PM UTC (Read 3298 times)  

Basically, what if hats gave you a small bonus to attack and defense based on size? Something like, each size gives you .3% boost, so by a size 100 hat you have a 30% boost to them. Or .1%, or maybe even up to .5% depending on balance issues. The attack part could be justified by saying that your large hat makes you feel snazzier, giving you an optimism boost, and the defense part could be justified by saying something like your enemies are distracted by the size of your immense hat(maybe even swap out immense for variations on 'large' depending on hat size), and have a harder time hitting you.
Just an idea, although I can't say I've been playing enough to see how this works out later(only have a size 43 meself).

Binjali
 Thursday, March 25 2010 @ 12:19 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree. I like that hats are "useless." I like that my size 76 hat is just for show. Changing hats so that they give a buff goes against what hats are about.

I don't think that we need yet another buff method. There are plenty of weapons, armor, and other, more permanent methods of getting stronger. The higher ranks are supposed to be difficult.

Also, if hats started giving some sort of buff, the conversation you have with Demios the first time you visit him would have to be altered, and that would be a shame.

Profile Email
XaNe
 Thursday, March 25 2010 @ 12:24 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Indeed. As much fun as it would be to have hats give me a buff of some sort, it'd be slightly...off-putting. They've always been superficial, which makes it sort of fun in a way. If they gave out buffs, I'd almost feel pressured to have the biggest hat, to have the biggest buff. It'd turn the whole thing into another competition, and I assure you we have enough of those here on the island. Not to mention there are plenty of places to find buffs, just look in then nooks and crannies, they like to hide in there.

Good idea, but it doesn't quite fit. Don't feel discouraged though, ideas are good, very good. We wouldn't have nearly as many monsters if people didn't send in their ideas, after all.

Some people see the glass as half full, some people see it as half empty, I just spit in the cup until it isn't a problem anymore.

Profile Email
Paul Lo
 Thursday, March 25 2010 @ 12:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

...But maybe they could something, n even smaller version of Tattoos and jewelry. At worst it'd make you tumble more if you decide to wear it.

Yes, I have a dream, of electronic sheeps and linen bedsheets. But that's not the point. Or isn't it?

Profile Email
Reverb
 Thursday, March 25 2010 @ 01:33 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Or produce, at an increasing chance for increasing sizes, a Bunny Rabbit on NewDay. If you're feeling adventurous, you can immediately choose to "follow the white rabbit" down its hole, which should work like the Improbable encounter where you walk the ledge.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Anonymous: Sarda
 Thursday, March 25 2010 @ 01:35 AM UTC  

Quote by: Reverb

Or produce, at an increasing chance for increasing sizes, a Bunny Rabbit on NewDay. If you're feeling adventurous, you can immediately choose to "follow the white rabbit" down its hole, which should work like the Improbable encounter where you walk the ledge.

I like the direction this is going. Probably lot less imbalancing as well.

Ada
 Thursday, March 25 2010 @ 02:27 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Honestly? I like that hat size does absolutely nothing at all. That's part of the fun. I'm collecting req for something completely useless!

The rabbit encounter sounds fun though. If something like that were to happen, though, I think it should happen to anyone with a hat, regardless of size, (or maybe a low floor on it like size 20 or something), and not increasing with the size of the hat. Just a fun thing to add to hats, not to hat size.

Profile Email
Bakemaster
 Monday, April 05 2010 @ 03:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Keep it useless. Keep it safe.

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
jamesb
 Tuesday, April 06 2010 @ 10:58 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Bakemaster

Keep it useless. Keep it safe.

Or better yet, ABSTAIN!

Profile Email
Anonymous: Morpheus
 Thursday, April 08 2010 @ 12:54 AM UTC  

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

Bernard
 Thursday, April 08 2010 @ 07:33 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Morpheus

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

Why does this sound like something you'd hear Paul Lo say, back in the glory days of Madchester?

Profile Email
Paul Lo
 Friday, April 09 2010 @ 01:16 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Bernard

Why does this sound like something you'd hear Paul Lo say, back in the glory days of Madchester?

Better get that mustache back, old man. And quick, before the inspector knocks at your back.

Yes, I have a dream, of electronic sheeps and linen bedsheets. But that's not the point. Or isn't it?

Profile Email
monsterzero
 Saturday, April 10 2010 @ 06:14 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Last year (too lazy to look it up) someone had what I thought was a really good suggestion: people with hats occasionally run into the Mad Hatter, who works just like the Tattoo Mutant and Mutant Magpie. I.e. you get a challenging no-req fight that gains or loses you a big chunk of XP.

If anyone with a hat of any size gets the same chance at the same reward, that would remove the dreaded competitive aspect. If anyone into the Labs is interested in doing something with this I think it'd be great!

Profile Email
Reverb
 Saturday, April 10 2010 @ 09:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Its a fairly simple restyle of the Magpie-slash-Mutant module, i reckon. Not that i could code my way out of a wet paper bag, but still. sounds simple enough.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Stanlygirl
 Sunday, April 11 2010 @ 04:17 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Personally, I'd still prefer that hats are just hats. They sit on your head. If you want them to do anything else, roleplay.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Sunday, April 11 2010 @ 11:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Roleplaying? ROLEPLAYING?!?!!!!!11elevenandone!!

Why the BLASPHEMY! our games should be STRAIGHTFORWARD and INDISTINCT, with prefab exitement and convergent storylines conveniently manufactured for OUR gaming ease!

We don' need no stinkin' roleplayin'...

Profile Email
tehdave
 Tuesday, April 13 2010 @ 07:18 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Stanlygirl

Personally, I'd still prefer that hats are just hats. They sit on your head. If you want them to do anything else, roleplay.

I DO!

(Says the resident nutcase with the sentient hat.)

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.51 seconds
New Topic Post Reply