Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 who came up with what?
 |  Printable Version
Cousjava
 Sunday, April 04 2010 @ 12:51 PM UTC (Read 20041 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Who came up with what new monster?
Post here to say what you think about the new monsters, and what you've come up with.

I like the Quantum Suicide Booth, whoever created that. I know that I came up with the Rebounding Hammer. The Rather Nasty Rumor About The Watcher is also good.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Stanlygirl
 Sunday, April 04 2010 @ 02:21 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I rather like tracking the Hollow Chocolate Bunnies back to their nest by following (and eating) their chocolate drop(ping)s. I'm sick, I know.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, April 04 2010 @ 03:30 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I haven't seen the ones mentioned above apart from the rebounding hammer. I look forward to them.

Weiner sausage, is that a reference that I'm not getting? It's a little bit too yuck for me, but I'm sure that others will disagree.

Team Awesome. Whoever came up with that, you're a sick, twisted, warped, depraved, individual in desperate need of professional help. Exactly the sort of person that we want inventing baddies on this Island. Big Grin

On the failboat. Newly female contestant (Do you meet 'her' in the jungle as well? I haven't.) That rather nicely sends up something that needed sending up.

Um. That's all I can think of off of the top of my head. I'm sure I'll find others.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Sunday, April 04 2010 @ 03:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

That rather nicely sends up something that needed sending up.

Please tell me you're referring to 'the ratings'...

Right?

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, April 04 2010 @ 04:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Reverb

That rather nicely sends up something that needed sending up.

Please tell me you're referring to 'the ratings'...

Right?

Of course that's what I was refering to. What else could it possibly be?

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, April 04 2010 @ 05:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Erm. I wasn't actually refering to anybody in particular in the above post. But I have seen on occasion a 'newly female contestant' ie. a bloke who's just visited Dr Paprika being most unfemalelike, essentially being a bloke with tits pretending to be a woman. Doesn't usually last very long, they get bored fairly quickly.

That's not just me is it? People do know what I'm on about? Surely whoever wrote that particular encounter must have thought so? Why is everybody staring at me?...

Profile Email
monsterzero
 Sunday, April 04 2010 @ 06:13 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

"who came up with what?"

I invented the Internet.

You're welcome.

Profile Email
Ada
 Monday, April 05 2010 @ 01:08 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Erm. I wasn't actually refering to anybody in particular in the above post. But I have seen on occasion a 'newly female contestant' ie. a bloke who's just visited Dr Paprika being most unfemalelike, essentially being a bloke with tits pretending to be a woman. Doesn't usually last very long, they get bored fairly quickly.

That's not just me is it? People do know what I'm on about? Surely whoever wrote that particular encounter must have thought so? Why is everybody staring at me?...

Oh, trust me, we have.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Monday, April 05 2010 @ 11:42 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I found "The Book of Riddles" which has all the answers to the Riddle Joker's questions.. only, not.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
loriel
 Monday, April 05 2010 @ 01:48 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Reverb

I found "The Book of Riddles" which has all the answers to the Riddle Joker's questions.. only, not.

I enjoyed that one.

Newly female contestant (Do you meet 'her' in the jungle as well? I haven't.) That rather nicely sends up something that needed sending up.

I like the double entendre in your commentary there. I agree with the meaning in which you mean it sends up a message that needs sending up, and I agree with Reverb in hoping the female contestant doesn't send up something else on certain people. (ratings are good, though...)
You meet her at level 15 in the jungle, or thereabouts.

Unfortunately, I'm going to use the rest of this post to bash one that I didn't like so much... Hopefully someone can disagree and point out something I didn't notice about it.

I disliked the rank 8 monster... (not quite sure of the name, met it last DK though...) for a couple of reasons.
1. Rookies won't get it, at least not right away - but who wants to stay in a self-referential game without getting the reference? I think it wouldn't bug me as much if the monster was level 17 - only accessible through suicidal hunting, after the first DK. I think at the moment it's around level 8, which is probably not good (for its rating). I know when I first came into the game I rated Death or Cake Man as a three compared to some of the other early monsters I'd met, like the Midget Plumber, because I didn't know about AceHigh; the writing was the same level, but the reference came too early* - same sort of problem here, only worse, because rank 7 doesn't sound too much worse than rank 6 when you're a rookie, and that also detracts from the monster, on top of maybe not knowing about ranks.
2. I haven't been killed by it, but I think its messages are mixed up. If I win I wouldn't be crouching in a fetal position, with my body parts lying around me.

*For me, anyways; I didn't start travelling until level 10, I think, as a rookie.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Monday, April 05 2010 @ 02:17 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've now also discovered the Ultimate Mistake of Evolution.. or something along those lines anyway. It was very enjoyable, right up to the raaaaAAAAAHHH!

And of course, the Bear tied to the back of another Bear. I'd love to know which one of you twisted little minds came up with that one.

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Monday, April 05 2010 @ 03:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've just come across Son of a Budget Horse, the monster. i liked it. That is the reason why II is rated 18. I think (I've just done a DK and started again, so pardon if I got it mixed up) that it either level 14 or 15. Loriel said that something else was self-refferencing at level 8, but this is high enough for you to have gone through the entire Budget Horse storyline, which allows you to get it.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
loriel
 Monday, April 05 2010 @ 03:28 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Cousjava

I've just come across Son of a Budget Horse, the monster. i liked it. That is the reason why II is rated 18. I think (I've just done a DK and started again, so pardon if I got it mixed up) that it either level 14 or 15. Loriel said that something else was self-referencing at level 8, but this is high enough for you to have gone through the entire Budget Horse storyline, which allows you to get it.

I was referring to the "Level 8 Difficulty" monster, not the Son of a Budget Horse. (And not "rank 8" - I need to reread that monster's text - it showed up at level 5 earlier today when I was hunting for big trouble, but I wasn't paying attention and hit it before I read its flavor text. Sigh.)

But... My second point still stands, I think, though I hope that someone can prove me wrong without intentionally getting a death message.
The message I got for "winning" is this:
"Surrounded by stray body parts, some of them yours, you curl up all fetal like and wimper."

(Here's hoping I haven't just made a huge fool out of myself.)

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, April 05 2010 @ 05:39 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: loriel

I disliked the rank 8 monster... (not quite sure of the name, met it last DK though...) for a couple of reasons.

1. Rookies won't get it, at least not right away - but who wants to stay in a self-referential game without getting the reference? I think it wouldn't bug me as much if the monster was level 17 - only accessible through suicidal hunting, after the first DK. I think at the moment it's around level 8, which is probably not good (for its rating). I know when I first came into the game I rated Death or Cake Man as a three compared to some of the other early monsters I'd met, like the Midget Plumber, because I didn't know about AceHigh; the writing was the same level, but the reference came too early - same sort of problem here, only worse, because rank 7 doesn't sound too much worse than rank 6 when you're a rookie, and that also detracts from the monster, on top of maybe not knowing about ranks.

2. I haven't been killed by it, but I think its messages are mixed up. If I win I wouldn't be crouching in a fetal position, with my body parts lying around me.

1. It's true, Rookies won't get it. On the other hand, hey, not everything in the game needs to be aimed at Rookies -- there ought to be a few tidbits to amuse veterans, too, as we slog through our umpteenth DK. This particular monster is a sleeper -- it won't develop its full flavour until the player has actually tried a Rank 7.

Thanks for drawing my attention to it, though -- the name was wrong; it is now not "Level Eight Difficulty," but "Rank Eight Difficulty."

2. No, the messages are not backwards. It's R8. Trust me... if you lose to this one, you are even worse off.

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Monday, April 05 2010 @ 05:47 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I did: Three Droogs, Schrodinger's Other Cat, and Flying Helper Monkeys.
I have more on the way.
~CTP

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Monday, April 05 2010 @ 05:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've enjoyed:
Bear Tied to Back of Another Bear. That was amazing.
I just encountered Occam's Razorback. That was better than the version of Occam's Razor I was working on, so kudos.
I still really like Tyr's work on Octophant, which I helped a tiny bit with.
The good news is that monsters are getting better, funnier, and more....insane.
~CTP

Profile Email
Mister Rawr
 Monday, April 05 2010 @ 09:47 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Love the Bear tied to the back of Another Bear. I'm rather curious... are the end messages of the Quantum Suicide Booth switched? I get the feeling Rawr's next step ought to be onto the deck of the FailBoat when he beats it... but he's never lost to it, so I can only guess at this one. Maybe I'm missing the point.

Okay, I get Team Awesome... I just don't like it very much. I love midgets as much as the next person, but that's just a bit over the edge for me personally and I've got a pretty good tolerance for such things.

I like the Ghost Airplane, and the Cafeteria Lady is hilarious. What else? I dunno.

Go fish.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Monday, April 05 2010 @ 10:04 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Flying helper monkeys still makes me chuckle, and I've seen it dozens of times. That's a good one. Just seen the two bears. That was written by someone who knows how it goes down the pub on a Friday night wasn't it? The last (rather mangled) sentence is an excellent ending as well. That one gets a five from me.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Monday, April 05 2010 @ 11:02 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

By the way. When I said "Send up", I meant "parody". Any double meanings didn't occur to me at all. I'm glad that people manage to get so much out of my posts.

Profile Email
loriel
 Tuesday, April 06 2010 @ 02:17 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Quote by: loriel

1. [...] Thanks for drawing my attention to it, though -- the name was wrong; it is now not "Level Eight Difficulty," but "Rank Eight Difficulty."

2. No, the messages are not backwards. It's R8. Trust me... if you lose to this one, you are even worse off.

1. Yay! The name did bug me; I'm glad I did point something out.
2. I hope I never lose to Rank 8 Difficulty...

By the way. When I said "Send up", I meant "parody". Any double meanings didn't occur to me at all. I'm glad that people manage to get so much out of my posts.

I blame Reverb; I would not have noticed it if not for that post.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SomethingElseAlsoRises

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.69 seconds
New Topic Post Reply