Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Enhanced commentary system
 |  Printable Version
Count Sessine
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 04:04 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I believe this has been mentioned already, but comments from before the cutover are missing all attribution. Like this (random sample):

(11h5m) [Del] hesitates a moment longer, then with a flick of her wrist, hurls the ball at the tree containing Calibisto. It stops midair, just before it hits the trunk, and whizzes back. She catches it.
(11h4m) [Del] wakes up from a long nap and finds that, once again, it's a brand new day! He hefts his tied-together boots, tightens the laces a bit, and bolts into the jungle for adventure.
I can see that you wouldn't want to retrofit the old system of comment icons, CMJ, and you're probably thinking, hey, those old comments will scroll off in a few days and not be a problem.

In the meantime, people who were planning to capture a log of an important scene are thinking, "Gahh! THOSE OLD COMMENTS WILL SCROLL OFF IN A FEW DAYS... WhatamIgonnaDOOOOO!" Eek!

Could you see your way clear to, at least, throwing in the speakers' names?

Profile Email
TylerDurham
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 04:25 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I do not like it! It is cluttered and makes me anxious and flaily. I had the issue where the commentary icons were all messed up (Firefox, sigh) and have since fixed it, but it still feels cluttered and blargh. I would much rather have my OOC stay out of game or in L4 than side-by-side with the RP I'm trying to focus on.

That's one of the reasons I loved this game so much, was that there was barely any OOC interaction within the game except by distractions. The last RP game-type-thing I left, I did because it stopped being about the RP and started being nothing but OOC chatter.

At this point, it is cluttered and unwanted and it makes me not want to play anymore, which is sad because I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH.

I can grudgingly like the mouseover stuff, as long as it behaves itself. And the fact that you can hide the ooc area makes it a little bit better.

I miss the grey action color default.

I'll admit I wasn't expecting the changes mostly because I haven't been paying attention to the Enquirer at all, but I feel a bit Arthur Dent here. "They were in a locked filing cabinet in the basement of an abandoned building, in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'beware of the leopard'!"

So, there's my two cents. Which is more like a nickle, but hey.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 04:50 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

@Tyler: You can disable the OOC comments! Look at the top of the Banter Channel for the "Hide" link. Smile

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 04:56 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Commentary Archive Fix'd! Mr. Green

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 05:09 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

FireFox title and name colours fix'd! Mr. Green

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 06:20 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Special Comments fix'd!

Profile Email Website
Tyr
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 06:25 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Specials are mostly working. They come with your clan tag attached at the moment. And, uh, all your icons. And your mouseover text.

Profile Email
Adder Moray
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 07:05 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Okay, from the perspective of two different AiB memebers on two different browsers on two different OSs, our clan hall's pre-change chat is without name labels.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 07:06 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Special Comments re-fix'd!
Old commentary will sort itself out in a week by CEASING TO EXIST! Big Grin Meanwhile, if you really need it, you can still get it from the HTML Export feature!

Profile Email Website
Binjali
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 07:15 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I am so happy to see these fixes going up so fast! Thank you for being so responsive, CMJ!

I have a request: I would like my option to turn off all icons back, please. I have remembered why I had all of them off: because they're wider vertically than the text and push the text forward, there's more blank space on the screen, and I have to scroll more to read less.

What would be really excellent would be a toggle, so that I could turn them on to get information and turn them off again to read, without having to go into my preferences every time- and I could do it in Dwellings!

Second request: It's a small thing, but there's more blank space between the Outpost description and the commentary than there was before. It's that much more scrolling to do on a page, and I really notice it when I'm actively in a chatspace, because I refresh the commentary about once every twenty or thirty seconds. The less scrolling the better, please?

Profile Email
Pod
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 07:45 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Can I just balance out some of the "agh I hate it change it back RIGHT NOW" comments by saying that I'm really excited about this new setup? The transition was a tad discomfiting, but Ctrl-F5 fixed most of my (fiery foxy) problems, due to much tinkering going on in Pittsburgh this evening. Thanks for forging ahead with this, CMJ! I look forward to exploring its possibilities, and seeing what others will do with it.

Profile Email
Adder Moray
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 07:47 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Special Comments re-fix'd!
Old commentary will sort itself out in a week by CEASING TO EXIST! Big Grin Meanwhile, if you really need it, you can still get it from the HTML Export feature!

Much sooner than that, actually <.<

And thanks.

Profile Email
Ninja Waffles
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 07:49 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

something else I found if you use the /me tag it no longer puts a space between the name and actions.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 07:52 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Ninja+Waffles

something else I found if you use the /m tag it no longer puts a space between the name and actions.

Yes, that's deliberate - it's primarily for apostrophes, so that you can say things like "Admin CavemanJoe's about to go to bed 'cause it's three in the bleedin' morning" and not have the space in there mucking things up. It'll take some getting used to, but there was really no reason for it to add the space in the first place when we've all got perfectly good spacebars. Smile

Profile Email Website
Mack
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 07:55 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

That's debatable. My spacebar on my previous keyboard was so broken it only worked on one spot. I was forced to get a new keyboard after it finally gave out.

Back on topic, I noticed this, and it made me happy. Thanks once more. (And get to bed! (Though I can't say much, seeing as it's now...4:06 in the morning.))

You can toast them, but it's dark magic. - MotPax on hotdog buns.

Profile Email
Snow Gray
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 09:05 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I admit my first reaction was like "AUGH WHAT" , partially because my first impression was my dwelling with no names, then Pleasantville was overrun by a GIANT MERLIN.

I would like the commentary icon preferences all in one spot, trying to find them in the multitude of tabs is a bit confusing.... I also agree that stacked should be the default rather than side by side, it's much less of an eyesore.

My emote text appears to be the old color, so those people should be happy Smile But my unspecial name and title are still showing up black (could be a cache issue however, will check when it's not past my bedtime.)

Oh- and I am very glad to see there is no OOC chat in the commons Smile Nice little reminder that it's a place for roleplay only, and hopefully the banter bit will make it easier to help the "how do I make actions and colors" rookies without going "this is how but you SHOULD ask in location four" or trying to get them to notice their distractions blinking.

Edit : I am having some trouble with "Refresh commentary" in dwellings. It works the first time after a comment, but not on subsequent tries.

Profile Email
calliaphone
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 09:22 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Pod

Can I just balance out some of the "agh I hate it change it back RIGHT NOW" comments by saying that I'm really excited about this new setup? The transition was a tad discomfiting, but Ctrl-F5 fixed most of my (fiery foxy) problems, due to much tinkering going on in Pittsburgh this evening. Thanks for forging ahead with this, CMJ! I look forward to exploring its possibilities, and seeing what others will do with it.

I'm with Pod on this one. The change was disconcerting - but change always is! We've got used to things working a particular way, and now it's all (a bit) different and we've got to get used to it again. I guess over time we'll have to figure out the etiquette for working with two chat-channels, as we find out what effect OOC-chat-in-game has on role-playing. Will it be used for just social chit-chat? Or for co-ordinating action in scenes? Or for answering location-four type questions? Lots of possibilities, perhaps things'll be a bit lumpy while we explore them ... but it's sort of exciting too.

Also, CMJ - great work fixing all those bugs so fast! I'll admit that, last night, the firefox mouseover problems were addling my brain somewhat. But this morning, one Control-F5 and it's all better!

Here's what I'm still noticing, bug-wise:

- When I open italics in preview, it shows up as italics! HURRAH! But when I close 'em, the text after the closure still shows up as italicised. Only in preview though. When I post the comment, it comes up right. (seems to be the case for Chrome, FF and Explorer, using Windows XP)

- Mouseover text sometimes truncated or absent in Explorer (see Bernard, Kestrel and SinkOrSwim in Central at around 2200h BST 2nd June). Seems to be fine in Chrome and Firefox though.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Escemfer on a tiny borrowed laptop
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 10:11 AM UTC  

I do like it, I do, I do! It is not sigificantly different in appearance and it's easy to arrange or hide the channels as you see fit. Now, quick criticism sort of thing: I would still like a divider between the top and bottom channel when stacked, and I much prefer the text box and commentary/bio/page navigation side-by-side the way it was before the changeover. It doesn't look as smooth with all of those options one after another in the same column.

Also, skipping back a page or five in one commentary shouldn't skip back in both, it seems awkward. Also also, having a set height for the banter channel when stacked could be really lovely, making it shorter and less "in your face" than the all-important IC chat.

But these are just nitpicks; keep working on the bugs, you are flying through them at the speed of light! Mr. Green

Nadyanilo
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 11:14 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

First off, love the new look. I use Firefox, so when I first discovered this change, I was most displeased, what with my comments section looking like it had been chewed on then swallowed then regurgitated by a large and very sick animal.

But I see, that less that 6 hours later (and it might have been much sooner, I'm not sure, because I've been asleep since then) you have the problem fixed!

I love the scroll over bio bit, and I have yet to discover the rest, but I have noticed a gain in speed from the game.

You're doin' a hell of a job, Joe.

"Do you like Shiny things?"

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: dex
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 01:53 PM UTC  

A suggestion regarding the activity indicator in the OOC/banter chat: right now - I think - it shows yellow if your character is in the outpost.
This is misleading.
I think it would be great to have the colours indicate if I've got the OOC activated or not. That way no one is trying to talk to people that have no intention of responding, for example.

Content generated in: 1.52 seconds
New Topic Post Reply