Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 hmm.. haven't seen this before
 |  Printable Version
Rykar
 Friday, July 09 2010 @ 12:14 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Hmm... I don't know how revealing I'm supposed to be. Sessine, guidance please?

Also - can't for the life of me figure out how to get passes anymore. I already got some... but I can't get it to happen again :\

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, July 09 2010 @ 01:26 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Rykar

Hmm... I don't know how revealing I'm supposed to be. Sessine, guidance please?

Also - can't for the life of me figure out how to get passes anymore. I already got some... but I can't get it to happen again :

Reveal anything you want. Maybe if people put their heads together...

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Friday, July 09 2010 @ 02:11 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Grrrrrrr - found THREE of the smudged, battered pieces of crap so far, done everything but a mating dance for 'em, and NOTHING!! Do they even notice? noooOOOOOoooo...... Found 'em in the jungle, found 'em in the swamp.....all while traveling..... and whatdoIget? NOTHING! No respect!

Thank you.

Profile Email
Rykar
 Friday, July 09 2010 @ 02:22 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Before you can collect cards, you need a wallet. To get one, go to the Grand Concourse, one klick east of Improbable Central. Enter and leave until you see a scruffy looking man, who will sell you a wallet for 10 cigs.

There are certain places that cards drop. The messages for the drop are clearly specific to the location. So far, these have all been dwellings owned by DICE members. Most of the occurrences have been in Thistlewhite Manor, on top of New Pittsburgh. Cards have been spotted in the Parlor, Kitchen, Bathroom, and Topiary garden, with messages like

What luck! You find a smudged, battered old playing card under a loose brick by the disused fireplace. You've heard these can be worth quite a bit to a collector. Carefully you tuck it away in your fine leather card case.

The other locations I and others have noticed so far are

15,9 Smoking Windmill - Police Box
8,10 Beach Below DICE Clan Halls - The Firepit

But it seems that once you've gotten a couple drops in dwellings, it is almost impossible to get more. I have gotten "something improbable" where I've missed a card twice in a day after getting two.

When starting a new GameDay with a certain number or combination of cards, I'm not sure as to the requirements, they will all vanish and be replaced by a number of train passes.

Combinations as of yet tested:

5 of spades at newday - nothing happens
5 of spades, 8 of diamonds, ace of spades - Nothing
3 of spades - Nothing
5 of spades, ace of spades, 10 of clubs. 2 of stars - Nothing
2,3,5,8,8 of diamonds: 2 passes
Joker, 5 diamonds - Nothing

You can indeed pick up cards with a full wallet...at least I have. But only one so far on a full wallet.

Once you have a train pass, you can go to any train station (one near each outpost) and board the train. One ticket is immediately punched, and you can ride the train as much as you want for the rest of the gameday. The unpunched tickets remain with you at newday, but a punched ticket disappears. Tickets cannot be traded.

Any questions?

Profile Email
kireikatt
 Friday, July 09 2010 @ 02:32 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

i'm guessing it's a full hand of the same suit, and i've found them just out in the jungle, so it's not just DICE houses.

Profile Email
Rykar
 Friday, July 09 2010 @ 02:40 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Traveling or jungle fighting?

Profile Email
Sydney Fletcher
 Friday, July 09 2010 @ 02:44 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I've only found one so far, while traveling, and I've been wandering around a bunch now to see if I can get more, but no luck. So the chances of finding one randomly seem to be pretty low.

Profile Email
Fergus
 Friday, July 09 2010 @ 03:10 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I got my wallet and found two so far (the 4 and 10 of diamonds), both from in dwellings, though I did not write down coordinates. I know one was in the plains from around the mountain areas, but I totally don't remember the other.

However, after finding those I went on a huge dwelling/island exploration spree, and found no more. I went through all of the rooms of many but the biggest dwellings around IC, PV, AH, and Kit and various routes (connecting routes between towns) and found not a one.
I must note, though, that I did go to 8,10 Beach Below DICE Clan Halls - The Firepit and did not find a card. Perhaps they respawn at island newday, or when turned into a pass or something? Also, is it the same card every time at a dwelling, or a new one?

Profile Email
Rykar
 Friday, July 09 2010 @ 03:18 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

As far as we can all tell, there is a limit.

2 or 3 cards per day, MAX. Even Something Improbables won't give you cards past your daily limit.

Profile Email
Zpatula
 Friday, July 09 2010 @ 07:30 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I've tried asking The Vendor about card trading, but he doesn't seem to understand me. Seems I neet to speak in a Cockney accent?? Anyone have any success with this?

I ATE PINEAPPLE!

Profile Email Website
Derander
 Friday, July 09 2010 @ 08:05 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Any questions?

Yes. Has anyone else got a nine of stars? Or anything else of the suit of stars, for that matter? It was the first card I picked up and since you don't mention it at all I'm curious...

It doesn't change at newday, in case you're wondering.

Also, yay for mentioning the Windmill! (not Dice affiliated)

Profile Email
Derander
 Friday, July 09 2010 @ 08:06 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Zpatula

I've tried asking The Vendor about card trading, but he doesn't seem to understand me. Seems I neet to speak in a Cockney accent?? Anyone have any success with this?

No success, but he seems to be Case Sensitive.

Profile Email
Rykar
 Friday, July 09 2010 @ 03:38 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

The Vendor will only tell you about a card if somebody else has it. For example, if I were to now ask him about the "Nine of Stars", he would ask for a cig, then tell me that Derander has one.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Friday, July 09 2010 @ 03:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Minor cosmetic bug: the wallet is listed as being able to hold 10g, but when you find cards, they are listed as 2kg. Not that they actually take up that much.

Request: would it be possible to have a Distraction when you're trading, ideally saying what card arrived and who it's from? Rather than keep clicking back and forth between their bio and the trading screen and your inventory to see if it's arrived?

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Ashtu
 Saturday, July 10 2010 @ 01:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Humph. Not that I'm trying to attract random visitors to my shop*, but somebody keeps stapling cards to my bulletin board. I mean, really! It's CLEARLY marked for party business only, but I've had to take TWO cards down already!

*Ashtu's Anarchy Annex, just south of Kittania - please wipe your feet!

Thank you.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, July 10 2010 @ 01:36 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Minor typo similar to Buddleia's, in the inventory, cards are listed as taking up 2kg out of the 10kg case. That's damned heavy cards. I suspect that it should be 2g out of 10g.

I'm getting excited about these, I've got some cards, but haven't got a pass yet. I can't wait.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Saturday, July 10 2010 @ 04:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

AHA!

When starting a new GameDay with a certain number or combination of cards, I'm not sure as to the requirements, they will all vanish and be replaced by a number of train passes.

Looks to be a full hand, 5 cards.

2,3,5,8,8 of diamonds: 2 passes

I had 10 and ace of spades, 4 and 7 of diamonds and ace of stars: One Day Rail Pass

Thank you.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, July 10 2010 @ 04:41 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Minor typo similar to Buddleia's, in the inventory, cards are listed as taking up 2kg out of the 10kg case. That's damned heavy cards. I suspect that it should be 2g out of 10g.

Correct.

So. I did provide the changes to the inventory display code to make grams show correctly, and (miscommunication!) CMJ only applied the change to the card case, and not to the cards. :/ These things happen. It is a cosmetic bug -- doesn't affect the functioning -- which means that it is, unfortunately, now way-far down on the priority list of things to be fixed.

It was caused by the fact that this whole entire Labs thing is brand new. The procedures for merging code are very manual, hence chock-full of opportunities for Murphy to get his interfering hand in. There are ways to make the process considerably smoother and easier. I'm hoping that future contributors will be able to benefit from the glitches that happened this time 'round.

Edit: Oh, and if your cardcase really is showing 2kg out of 10kg, or allowing you to transfer items to and from your backpack and bandolier, that means you got one of the early cases from before some important fixes were applied. Send in a petition, and CMJ will do what he did for me -- he'll take away the defective card case so that you can buy a new one.

Profile Email
Fergus
 Saturday, July 10 2010 @ 07:21 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Ah, how many rail passes you get depends on how strong your hand is! Having no pair(s), straight, or flush will just net you one pass, but you'll get more for having those. I'd bet that it's set up the same as normal poker scoring:
Just five cards - 1 pass
One pair - 2 passes
Two pair - 3 passes
Three of a kind - 4 passes
Straight - 5 passes
Flush - 6 passes
Full house - 7 passes
Four of a kind - 8 passes
Straight Flush - 9 passes
Royal Flush - 10 passes
This is still just a guess, though, seeing as so far only the first two have been confirmed.

I'm also assuming the joker card is wild, though it makes me wonder if that means five of a kind is possible, and what'd you'd get from a hand of five jokers.

Profile Email
Ochris
 Saturday, July 10 2010 @ 08:13 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

ahahaha zolotisty!

that dancing thing is so cute! i laugh every time.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.73 seconds
New Topic Post Reply