Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 hmm.. haven't seen this before
 |  Printable Version
tehdave
 Friday, July 16 2010 @ 03:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Currently holding a full house: 7stars over 7clubs. Will report how many passes received.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Friday, July 16 2010 @ 04:05 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: tehdave

Currently holding a full house: 7stars over 7clubs. Will report how many passes received.

4 passes. from (3x) 7 of stars, (2x) 7 of clubs

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Zpatula
 Friday, July 16 2010 @ 04:18 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

4 passes. from (3x) 7 of stars, (2x) 7 of clubs

I make that 5 of a kind (five 7s) rather than a full boat. Yes?

I ATE PINEAPPLE!

Profile Email Website
Mr Geppetto
 Friday, July 16 2010 @ 04:27 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Joker plus 10Stars x 2; 5Stars x2; 3Diamonds x2; 10Diamonds x2 and some random onesies, and was offered 5 First class passes. For the same hand minus the 5 Stars I had been offered 4 Rail Passes. I'll keep you posted what happens next.

Profile Email
Swede
 Friday, July 16 2010 @ 04:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Maybe I missed it, but what's the difference between a first class and a normal railpass?

Profile Email
Mr Geppetto
 Friday, July 16 2010 @ 04:48 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

And just outside of the edit window: for all the above, plus an extra Five of Stars (making it a whooping 3 of a kind) I got an offer of six passes.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Freya
 Friday, July 16 2010 @ 10:18 PM UTC  

Third day traveling, looking in dwellings, fighting in the jungle and not a single card yet. I bought a card case before I started looking.
All I managed to do was get 1 useless Improbable event telling me I didn't notice a card while I was in the Jungle.

This is getting more than annoying.

Alik
 Friday, July 16 2010 @ 11:31 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Freya

Third day traveling, looking in dwellings, fighting in the jungle and not a single card yet. I bought a card case before I started looking.
All I managed to do was get 1 useless Improbable event telling me I didn't notice a card while I was in the Jungle.

This is getting more than annoying.

you had a bad day. which is to say there was some text on your newday page saying that something was 'off-kilter'

Profile Email
Swede
 Saturday, July 17 2010 @ 06:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

For the list of rewards:
I held 6 cards: 3 eight of Spades, 1 eight of Diamonds, 1 Seven of Hearts and 1 Seven of Clubs,
and it gave me 3 rail passes. It does seem only the cards of the same suit give you something.

Profile Email
NotAgain
 Saturday, July 17 2010 @ 11:09 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Swede

For the list of rewards:
I held 6 cards: 3 eight of Spades, 1 eight of Diamonds, 1 Seven of Hearts and 1 Seven of Clubs,
and it gave me 3 rail passes. It does seem only the cards of the same suit give you something.

I'll disagree. I know I've had pairs from different suits give me Passes. More than once, too.

Don't forget that for a pair - which is *2* cards - you only get *1* Pass. Assuming that for the extra 8 of Spades you get a 2nd Pass, then where does the 3rd come from?

Still, if suits don't count, then why didn't you get *4* Passes? The 3rd being for the 4th 8 (Diamonds) and a 4th for the pair of 7's? Rolling Eyes

Curiouser and curiouser.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, July 17 2010 @ 12:02 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Swede had 3 eight of spades, so three passes. If you have no matching cards at all, you still get one pass. So swede got one pass for having five cards, and then another two for the second and third eight of spades. It fits. That's what's happening.

Profile Email
Alik
 Saturday, July 17 2010 @ 04:09 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

does anyone know if having ALL suits of a similar number gives anything? Sure an 8 of spades plus of 8 of clubs is nothing. but then why the five suits and not just 4 when your card hand allows for 5 cards?

Profile Email
kireikatt
 Saturday, July 17 2010 @ 04:20 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Alik

does anyone know if having ALL suits of a similar number gives anything? Sure an 8 of spades plus of 8 of clubs is nothing. but then why the five suits and not just 4 when your card hand allows for 5 cards?

i'll try and test one of each suit since i have 3 right now (no similar numbers though, unless people want to trade)

Profile Email
bl0b
 Saturday, July 17 2010 @ 11:42 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Let's see the revised list first:

2,3,5,8,8 of diamonds: 2 passes (Rykar)
"I got a full house and got one pass" (Lemm)
10 and 3 of spades, a 4 and 5 of clubs, and a 7 of hearts = 1 pass (Sydney Fletcher)
1 pass for all random sets of 5 (or 6) cards (zamboni)
Three of a kind and two odd cards = only one pass (Alex MacMillan)
"had a flush and got three, can't remember if i got the last card to make my straight or not though" (Alex MacMillan)
5 random cards with a pair of aces = 2 passes (Hairy Mary)
Joker and ace of stars, 2*3 of stars, 4 of stars = two FIRST CLASS rail passes (zamboni)
5 sevens of spades = 5 passes (Alik)
five cards (no matches) = one day railpass (Ashtu)
2 Jokers, 3x9 of Diamonds, 1 Ace of Spades, One 3 of Spades, 5 of Clubs and 7 of Diamonds = four First Class passes (Ashtu)
New on the list:
(3x) 7 of stars, (2x) 7 of clubs = 4 passes (tehdave)
Joker (x2)10Stars (x2)3Diamonds (x2)10Diamonds + random onesies (one of which is 5 stars), = 4 First class passes. (Mr Geppetto)
Joker (x2)10Stars (x2)3Diamonds (x2)10Diamonds (x2)5Stars + random onesies, = 5 First class passes. (Mr Geppetto)
Joker (x2)10Stars (x2)3Diamonds (x2)10Diamonds (x3)5Stars + random onesies, = 6 First class passes. (Mr Geppetto)
3 eight of Spades, 1 eight of Diamonds, 1 Seven of Hearts and 1 Seven of Clubs = 3 passes (Swede)

Thanks to everyone for revealing their hands. I'll fold Wink

Looks like I was wrong. It wasn't the highest number of same cards, but looks like each group of same cards counts.
So, the rules seem to be these:
Empty hand (no cards match) = 1 rail card
For each pair (2 cards that are exactly the same), +1 rail card
For 3 same = +2
...and so on.
Jokers aren't wild(!)* I was fooled when looking at what zamboni had. I read that hand as J, 1, 2, 3, 4 of stars, where in actual fact, it says J, 1, (2x)3, 4 of stars.
They do count like regular cards however, which explains ashtu's hand.
1 base, +1 for 2 jokers, +2 for 3x 9D = 4.

So, there may be only three more tests to do,** one card of each suit and same number, one of each suit and different number and a straight flush (preferably from ace to ten), but I think we're good to go.

I would like to add to what freya said though. How the hell do you guys get so many cards?

____
*(!) <-- No, it's not what your dirty mind is telling you. It's only an exclamation mark between brackets
** Assuming there is some order to it. You never know until you try out all combinations, but maybe 2 of stars, 4 of clubs, 7 of spades, 8 of diamonds and 9 of hearts gives you a plane ticket.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Sunday, July 18 2010 @ 12:02 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Bl0b: once you've got a Joker in your wallet, you can keep collecting without them turning into passes! I think I've got 16 cards at the moment, keep searching every Newday, and am having fun trading to make more duplicates.

Has everyone worked out a list/map of places where cards are regularly found? My group of train addicts have so far found 18 rooms in 12 dwellings. (They can also be found very occasionally while hunting or travelling.)

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
zamboni
 Sunday, July 18 2010 @ 01:25 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Great idea on the list! I'll get the ball rolling:

The Hedge Maze (15,29, just E of Pleasantville): North Path --> Fish Pond
The Smoking Windmill (15,9, SE of IC): South Tunnel --> Police Box
Thistlewhite Manor (4,15, at N Pitt): North Wing --> Parlor (good cards, silly american spelling!)
Beach below DICE Clan Halls (8,10, WSW of IC) --> The Firepit
Ashtu's Anarchy Annex (20,12, S of Kittania)
II Public Library (4,6, W of New Home)

Profile Email
Zpatula
 Sunday, July 18 2010 @ 05:57 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

This doesn't seem to fit:

I had a pair of 2s (stars and diamonds), a pair of 4s (stars and diamonds) and a 5 of clubs. I got one rail pass Question

I ATE PINEAPPLE!

Profile Email Website
Sydney Fletcher
 Sunday, July 18 2010 @ 06:25 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

They have to be EXACT pairs, i.e. two Twos of Stars and two Fours of Diamonds. This example should net you three tickets: one for having the hand, one extra for the first pair, and another extra for the second pair.

Mismatched twos (one of stars and one of diamonds) don't count as anything special.

Profile Email
bl0b
 Sunday, July 18 2010 @ 06:48 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Started running around dwellings and I'm suddenly stashed with cards. Even managed to get my first rail card. Let's see how many Jokers can I collect. Oh, And I can confirm, Jokers are definitely not wild. Had a Joker and 4 random cards and had an offer for only one ticket. Got 3 pairs, one being jokers, offer went up to four.

Zpatula, when we were speaking of pairs, we meant two cards exactly the same. Only then will it work. Having a hand you are describing still counts as 5 different cards. So, if you have 4 of stars and 4 of diamonds it is not considered a pair, but if you have 4 of stars twice, then that is considered a pair.

It's probably easier to check the number of passes you should get with this formula:
Weight / 2g (or total number of cards) - number of pictures (different cards you have) + 1.
This formula gives you exactly the same answer as the other rules, it's just less counting and can be a bit faster to see.

I suspect you don't get anything special for one card of each suit, but I should hopefully be able to tell you soon for sure.

Edit: I'm slow...

Profile Email
Mr Geppetto
 Sunday, July 18 2010 @ 08:34 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: zamboni

Great idea on the list! I'll get the ball rolling:

The Hedge Maze (15,29, just E of Pleasantville): North Path --> Fish Pond
The Smoking Windmill (15,9, SE of IC): South Tunnel --> Police Box
Thistlewhite Manor (4,15, at N Pitt): North Wing --> Parlor (good cards, silly american spelling!)
Beach below DICE Clan Halls (8,10, WSW of IC) --> The Firepit
Ashtu's Anarchy Annex (20,12, S of Kittania)
II Public Library (4,6, W of New Home)

Thistlewhite Manor (4,15, at N Pitt): North Wing --> Kitchen
Xith's weather station (23,20)
Monsterous Moonshine Mansions (16,26, NE of Pleasantville) ---> Particularly shady corner of the gallery.

For the number of cards, once you get the Joker, you can ask the station master how many passes you'll get for your current hand, if you're too lazy to count them, like I am.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.73 seconds
New Topic Post Reply