Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 A Friend list
 |  Printable Version
Lance
 Sunday, July 11 2010 @ 06:15 PM UTC (Read 1808 times)  
Forum Newbie

One idea, enhancement request, for this intriguing social spot...

After playing for a while, I end up with a number of friends from various clans. And it gets tricky to search through the online contestant list to find who's online and who's not...

So would it be workable to build a 'friend list', and consulting it, simply mention their location and if they are online?

Profile Email
Chimental
 Sunday, July 11 2010 @ 06:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

We did have this way back in Season One. If I'm right, it also told you where they were on the island as well. If or if not it's still in development is beyond me.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Sunday, July 11 2010 @ 06:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Chimental

We did have this way back in Season One. If I'm right, it also told you where they were on the island as well. If or if not it's still in development is beyond me.

It might have caused alot of drama too.
That's why I think it's missing this season.

NOT SURE ABOUT THAT, BUT IT WAS THE BEST EXPLANATION I CAME UP WITH.

Profile Email
Fergus
 Sunday, July 11 2010 @ 08:04 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: KimmyMonstah

Nope, it was because it was quite hard on the server, checking every page load if a list of people were online or not. It wouldn't check location, but having to check their locations in addition would cause even more strain, so I doubt we'll see something like that anymore.

However, being able to do it from the page that checks who is online might work very well, so the server only looks for a set list of people first. I think this idea could be quite nice and help for the server, though the checking the location of them could be quite difficult, and that could maybe be better left for distracting them and asking.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, July 11 2010 @ 08:52 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Fergus

Quote by: KimmyMonstah

Nope, it was because it was quite hard on the server, checking every page load if a list of people were online or not.

You're right about that, Fergus. Season One most certainly had its share of Bad Drama, but exactly none of it was caused by the Friends feature. The big performance hit of having your friends' names appear in the right-hand column was what did it in.

Why hasn't it reappeared as, at least, the address book it used to be for Distractions? Or making Friends a search filter in the Contestants Online list? My own guess would be time. Time... and priorities, and a thousand cool new ideas queueing up to be coded.

Profile Email
Ada
 Sunday, July 11 2010 @ 11:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

As a workaround, get all those friends on aim, msn, gchat, or similar.

Profile Email
Akogi
 Monday, July 12 2010 @ 12:50 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Ada

As a workaround, get all those friends on aim, msn, gchat, or similar.

That doesn't even work all the time. Most of the time I sit around on gchat and MSN and not on the island at the same time. I know it's quite blasphemous.

I took me a while but I do remember the friends list from S1. I'm sure if someone had a little time they were will willing to spend, they could try to develop the feature using the labs somehow... Maybe as a default search in list contestant as was mentioned earlier.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, July 12 2010 @ 03:17 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Some sort of friends list might be feasible, but it won't work in the same way as the S1 version. There are Better Ways to do this.

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: Anonymous
 Monday, July 12 2010 @ 05:39 PM UTC  

A pretty good idea, I can see how it would be useful, but I can see how it would be a bit more annoying.

Is there any way we could get a way to set this to Off or something, showing only that we're offline?

For being stealthy, avoidance, etc.

Awesome Fred
 Monday, July 12 2010 @ 06:36 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Anonymous

I see what you did there. Mr. Green

Profile Email
Lance
 Wednesday, July 14 2010 @ 07:05 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Just to clarify my request: Don't check a friend list every page load!

I was definitely thinking of the friend list being a part of the 'contestant list' options, to minimize page requests for such a list.

Profile Email
Alik
 Thursday, July 15 2010 @ 10:44 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Lance

Just to clarify my request: Don't check a friend list every page load!

I was definitely thinking of the friend list being a part of the 'contestant list' options, to minimize page requests for such a list.

or a separate link which could open in a pop-up similar to the distractions or stamina box.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.47 seconds
New Topic Post Reply