Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Building Feature Request
 |  Printable Version
crashtestpilot
 Friday, August 06 2010 @ 03:27 PM UTC (Read 1261 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hey all. A few feature requests for the architects of the Island have come to mind, and I thought I'd share them.

1) User-Defined Room Order:
I would like the ability to reorder, or define the order, of rooms that branch off of other rooms. These appear in the order you built them, but sometimes, it would be more sensible and assist the feel of the architecture if the order of display were user-defined, rather than being limited to build order.

Today, it looks like this:

RoomX
-- RoomY
-- Room Z
-- Room A

I would like the ability to reconfigure these lists to read:

RoomX
-- Room A
-- Room Y
-- Room Z

At this point, the only way to do this is to redecorate the rooms entirely, which (can and does) leads to some rather onerous architectural problems. I have three rooms just now I can't have painted because it will completely screw the room-branches, and lead to redecorating 10+ rooms. Minimum. I COULD suck that up. But it's giving me a headache, whereas simply allowing me to reorder the branch presentation from the main room (RoomX in the above example) would solve the entire issue.

2) Easier Navigation Following Additions to Build/Deco Queues
When a building gets big, getting around can be...time-consuming. Let's say I'm on the 7th Floor of a given building, and I've just queued up a new room. I would like the ability to go back to the room that I was in when I gave the build order. Because maybe I have a deco job or two to file in order to accommodate the new room from a description perspective.

3) Build Queues
I've asked for this elsewhere, earlier, but given the topic, I'll reiterate it. Just as we have the ability to enqueue multiple deco jobs, I would also like the ability to enqueue multiple new rooms, and multiple expansions.
At present, folks (builders) have to wait on Owners/Master Keyholders before they can build. Owing to asynchrony and various player schedules, this often means building materials are left outside (see "Filching" thread) which has led to unhappiness/frustration/boycotts and other unnecessary drama.

Allowing build and expansion queues would not just allow builders (ie, the folks who are slapping in all that timber & stone) the ability to use all the materials they brought on site (assuming their stamina permits); It would also allow the architects (the folks who are writing descriptions) the ability to enqueue (say) entire wings/modules/room clusters -- which would help them ensure from a narrative perspective that all the rooms hang together a little better from a writing perspective.

I know the idea of build queues are under consideration. But I wanted to take a moment to point out the clear benefits:
a) less likelihood of material loss, even without sheds.
b) better buildings from a narrative perspective.
c) enhanced collaboration between builders and owners/architects/master keyholders.

This is what they call, sometimes irritatingly in the software/tech business a triple play, or (more annoyingly) a win-win-win.

That's it for today.

Back to building shite.

All best,

~CTP

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Friday, August 06 2010 @ 03:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Largely agree with all of this. One potential problem would be if a room gets built, branching off of another room which hasn't yet been built. I'm not quite sure what would happen there. But even if you can only set up new jobs coming off of rooms that have already been completed, then that would still help.

I'd also like to add - When you set up a decorating job, the option to go back to the room that you've set it up from.

Also, in addition to reordering room links, is it possible to have the "return" link in the same menu as all the "explore" links? I imagine that these are different from a coding point of view, but not from a player PoV. Even if reordering the links turns out to be technically problematic, then that would still make things that little bit nicer.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, August 06 2010 @ 08:06 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Also, in addition to reordering room links, is it possible to have the "return" link in the same menu as all the "explore" links? I imagine that these are different from a coding point of view, but not from a player PoV. Even if reordering the links turns out to be technically problematic, then that would still make things that little bit nicer.

**stern look** HM, you are trying to set up places for people to get lost in, aren't you?

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Friday, August 06 2010 @ 10:01 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

**stern look** HM, you are trying to set up places for people to get lost in, aren't you?

Wellll... some people might think that that's part of the fun of it all... Wink

Profile Email
tehdave
 Monday, August 09 2010 @ 01:19 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Wellll... some people might think that that's part of the fun of it all... Wink

I'm just imagining this as Dunbernarding...

Just remember, as long as you can still "Return to Map" or "Return to Dwelling Entrance" then you're fine.

But maybe removing the "return" and "Explore" and just having the rooms link could help lead to things like *gasp* multiple room links. Like the Funicular in Dunbernarding actually linking to the Attic like it should. (Or is it the Girls' Dorm? I forget) and the Laundry Chute properly depositing the rider into the Scullery.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Scorpio
 Wednesday, August 18 2010 @ 09:29 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Ok, so how about something like a door between two inner rooms built off of a common source room?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.57 seconds
New Topic Post Reply